AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 749 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i would officialy start a thread since I just picked up the pioneer bdp-51 from the best buy/ magnolia. First impressions. The player has the nice typical pioneer gloss black finish. The player does bitstream dts hd ma and true hd out of the box. The player i got does not have the final version of firmware. I have to call pioneer about getting the final version. Ive been told the 2nd shipment should have the final firmware, however im not sure if thats true or not. In terms of standard dvd player im impressed. I currently have a bdp 1400 and ps3 and i can say the upconversion is on par with my xa2 and the 79avi. I havent had much time to dial it in yet but i will report back when i have more time. Here are a few pics.





 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
310 Posts
Audiophreak,

Thanks for starting the new thread. I was getting tired of the

conversation on the 05/51 thread, but didn't have anywhere

else to go until now.

It is my hope this thread will focus on the Pioneer 51, and not

the babble of speculation.

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts
I am rather surprised by the 1 minute load time you're experiencing with Blu-ray disc...speed was supposed to be a prominent feature in this new Pio. I hope Ruined will take note of this during the shootout and explore this a little further.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play /forum/post/14308433


I am rather surprised by the 1 minute load time you're experiencing with Blu-ray disc...speed was supposed to be a prominent feature in this new Pio. I hope Ruined will take note of this during the shootout and explore this a little further.

Yep. I plan to bring several sample movies and a stopwatch



It would be quite a bit disappointing if Pioneer focused on load times with this player as was stated in the past and could not match a BD30 in speed.


On the other hand, the first report looks like this player murders the Panasonics in upscaling (and hence probably deinterlacing 1080i BD discs too).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,043 Posts
Let's just hope the final firmware version makes loading times faster... I am still hoping this is the player to beat (at least for in my set up
)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/14308778


Let's just hope the final firmware version makes loading times faster... I am still hoping this is the player to beat (at least for in my set up
)...

I wonder is it perhaps the 05 thats meant to be the faster player ?


anyways hopefully they get the 1m disc load time to under 30 sec to atleast match the pana players.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
710 Posts
Not sure what is up with those load times, I thought I read where Walkamo had already tested a few disks and it was much faster than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,607 Posts
If audiophreak's player lacks final firmware and is slow at loading, which firmware was Walkamo using months ago when he got speedy load times?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 /forum/post/14309484


If audiophreak's player lacks final firmware and is slow at loading, which firmware was Walkamo using months ago when he got speedy load times?

So i called pioneer this morning, about getting the final firmware and i guess i got a demo unit. These are suppose to be demos only not for sale... Since the store i bought it from had 19 others. Im going to call them and have them open one up and see if does the same thing... Mabie it does pay to wait a bit...Either way, im going to keep this one to test untill they get the ones with the final firmware.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
310 Posts
I need some help understanding this "load time" thing (I will be getting my first high def player when the 51 arrives from Robert) .

Are we talking about the time from pressing the tray button to close until Main Menu pops up, or pressing the Play button

from the Main Menu to the start of the movie? (probably the latter).

What's on the screen during this minute of load time. Just a blank screen or the players logo?

And is this a problem because of the Java software or on all discs? And how does this load time compare to the first gen players?

Thanks for any insight?

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Jack,


Well, on my PS3 that I'm currently using for blu-ray, I get a stylized "progress bar" for movies when they are loading. They are usually designed in the style of the movie and quite nice graphically...but the thing only blips up on the screen for about 3-5 seconds, and then the movie starts. Ratatouille did take the longest I've seen so far, but I sure dont think the progress bar was up there for 10 seconds. I wonder why the PS3 is able to load things so fast, but stand alone players cant. I only bought the PS3 to tide me over until this Pioneer arrived, but now I'm thinking I may want to just keep the PS3 and cancel my order for the Pioneer given the bass management issues and load time issues. Hard to decide what to do but the player looks nice at any rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomHeart /forum/post/14309787


Jack,


Well, on my PS3 that I'm currently using for blu-ray, I get a stylized "progress bar" for movies when they are loading. They are usually designed in the style of the movie and quite nice graphically...but the thing only blips up on the screen for about 3-5 seconds, and then the movie starts. I wonder why the PS3 is able to load things so fast, but stand alone players cant. I only bought the PS3 to tide me over until this Pioneer arrived, but now I'm thinking I may want to just keep the PS3 and cancel my order for the Pioneer given the bass management issues and load time issues. Hard to decide what to do but the player looks nice at any rate.


Simple, the PS3 has the CELL processor while stand alone don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 /forum/post/14309484


If audiophreak's player lacks final firmware and is slow at loading, which firmware was Walkamo using months ago when he got speedy load times?


I went back and looked at Walkamo's post, he said nothing about load times. He gave times for power on, tray open and power off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
As much as I hate long load times, I am more sensitive to responsiveness after the disk is loaded, because you do that more often. I found the time it took the Samsung POS to load the disc menu intolerable. I am also interested in the time it takes to display the player's menus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs /forum/post/14310194


As much as I hate long load times, I am more sensitive to responsiveness after the disk is loaded, because you do that more often. I found the time it took the Samsung POS to load the disc menu intolerable. I am also interested in the time it takes to display the player's menus.

You have a good point, mrjktcvs. No one should jump the gun, especially when there are many other features to consider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts
Audiophreak,


Thanks for taking the time to share all this new information. It will make the VE shootout more interesting now that we have an idea what to look for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Hi Everyone,


The BDP-51FD that some of you have gotten your hands on were not intended to be sold yet. They were meant for demonstration only. The final firmware is not yet completed..


It should be done around the 29th of July...


Please wait until the final firmware is complete before making any conclusions about picture quality or load times... Everything is not complete yet on those models.. The hardware is 100% complete.. Just not the firmware...


Thanks,


Chris Walker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo /forum/post/14311364


Hi Everyone,


The BDP-51FD that some of you have gotten your hands on were not intended to be sold yet. They were meant for demonstration only. The final firmware is not yet completed..


It should be done around the 29th of July...


Please wait until the final firmware is complete before making any conclusions about picture quality or load times... Everything is not complete yet on those models.. The hardware is 100% complete.. Just not the firmware...


Thanks,


Chris Walker

WOW! Thanks, Chris!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo /forum/post/14311364


Hi Everyone,


The BDP-51FD that some of you have gotten your hands on were not intended to be sold yet. They were meant for demonstration only. The final firmware is not yet completed..


It should be done around the 29th of July...


Please wait until the final firmware is complete before making any conclusions about picture quality or load times... Everything is not complete yet on those models.. The hardware is 100% complete.. Just not the firmware...


Thanks,


Chris Walker

Chris --


Does that mean you don't expect to ship any more units out before July 29th?


The suspense is killing me here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo /forum/post/14311364


Hi Everyone,


The BDP-51FD that some of you have gotten your hands on were not intended to be sold yet. They were meant for demonstration only. The final firmware is not yet completed..


It should be done around the 29th of July...


Please wait until the final firmware is complete before making any conclusions about picture quality or load times... Everything is not complete yet on those models.. The hardware is 100% complete.. Just not the firmware...


Thanks,


Chris Walker

So maybe all of the bitching and moaning about the BM here might have been heard, and the FW updated accordingly......?
 
1 - 20 of 749 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top