AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2450 of 2450 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,064 Posts
Please be reminded that sales/request for sales are not permitted in the general forum areas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post on AVS Forums….I’ve lurked around for a few years here and there. I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite BDP-95RD blu-ray player from a fellow forum member. I bought this to complement my Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi receiver. Both are quality components but are by no means modern…and the receiver pre-dates HDMI. I spent the last weekend researching the best way to hook the two together for optimal sound with my 5.1 speaker setup. I originally thought that using the 5.1 analog out would be the ticket….allowing me to take advantage of Dolby True HD….just using the receiver to amplify the signal (I realize I’d lose the sound processing capabilities of the receiver…as well as room correction). I thought (and was hoping) it would output a lossless PCM signal. But, after looking more closely at the owner’s manual and reading responses by others here on the forum….it sounds like the BDP-95FD dumbs down the decoded signal and outputs a low quality 5.1 PCM signal out of the analog outs. Does that sound right? If that is correct, would my best option be to just use digital (optical/digital) out and allow the receiver to do its thing with the DTS signal? Eventually I will upgrade the receiver and blu-ray player…and none of this will be an issue. For now, I’d just like help in determining the best setup possible. Thanks for any guidance! Randy

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sony BDP-S360 vs Pioneer Elite BDP-95fp

I currently have a Sony BDP-S360 and it seems to work great still. But I recently got my hands on an Pioneer Elite BDP-95fp. I am curious if picture and sound quality is much better out of the Pioneer? I tried to look up some info on these, and looks like when they were new the sony was about $400 and the Pioneer was about $1,000 but not sure since they are early Blu-Ray models if one is any better than the other.

I don't really use bonus features, or BD Live, etc. so picture in picture and BD Live I dont' care to much about. I am really curious mostly about picture and sound.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I currently have a Sony BDP-S360 and it seems to work great still. But I recently got my hands on an Pioneer Elite BDP-95fp. I am curious if picture and sound quality is much better out of the Pioneer? I tried to look up some info on these, and looks like when they were new the sony was about $400 and the Pioneer was about $1,000 but not sure since they are early Blu-Ray models if one is any better than the other.

I don't really use bonus features, or BD Live, etc. so picture in picture and BD Live I dont' care to much about. I am really curious mostly about picture and sound.
I expect this is going to have a lot to do with how your system is set up. If you are running a single HDMI cable to a quality receiver (HDMI switching and lossless audio codec capable) and letting the receiver handle all the bitstreamed video & audio, I doubt you will detect much, if any difference between the players. Features, reliability & pride of ownership (ie. how you feel about looking at it in your home theater system) could be the key factors for you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I expect this is going to have a lot to do with how your system is set up. If you are running a single HDMI cable to a quality receiver (HDMI switching and lossless audio codec capable) and letting the receiver handle all the bitstreamed video & audio, I doubt you will detect much, if any difference between the players. Features, reliability & pride of ownership (ie. how you feel about looking at it in your home theater system) could be the key factors for you.
I have a sharp led. Hdmi goes from the dvd player to the tv. Then hdmi from the ARc out of the tv to my soundbar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me if this player supports Atmos? I’ve owned this player since maybe a year from it’s first release. I’m New to Atmos and just trying to figure out if I’m really getting Atmos from the player. The player is plugged into a 7705.

Thanks so much for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
pass through

Hi,
Just saw your post. It has been a long time since anyone has posted. I have not used mine for some years now as I went to an OPPO. Anyway, I believe I had mine set to as pass through for digital audio. So whatever your receiver could output you got it thru your bluray player. Just make sure it is set to that. So your bluray does not act as a receiver but just passes through the audio,
Hope that helps.

Before I hit submit I remembered I still have the manual and sorry it does not support Atmos. It has Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital +, PCM, DTS, DTS-HD and Dolby True HD
I cant see anything about Atmos. HDMI output is your bets best for connections and give the most option for different formats.
If your receiver plays all those formats you are good to go to enjoy.

Do check into the pass thru concept.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fixed!

Thank you much! That was it! In the settings, on the hdmi audio out, it was set to PCM, options are PCM or Auto. I set it to auto and now the 7705 is seeing Atmos! Sorry for the fuzzy pics, my projectorS lens is screwed up. Got a replacement coming...

Once again, thank you so much!

Dave

Attachments

2441 - 2450 of 2450 Posts