AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2450 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Joeycalda:

How did you compare the audio - analog interconnects or DD downmix or HBR audio?

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
I will not be posting to much about the audio since the last time I did (A35 and Dolby TrueHD) I ended up getting bombarded with PMs and hate posts. Actually they were 50/50 (support/agreement or B.S./disagreement) but I do not want to go down that road again.

·
Registered
771 Posts
But isn't the bitstream output of lossless audio the big improvement in this player? Anyway I understand tif you don't want to get the same type thread going. Congrats on the new player!

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine /forum/post/11879093

One of the main reasons I would be picking this up would be to bitstream DTS MA. So I hope someone talks a little about the sound.

That pretty much IS the reason I picked it up the BDP-95FD so I will be more than happy to post more about the sound ( as soon as I get more time )...

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
C'mon, I dying over here.

Post about:

1. Sound (specifically DTS: MA)

2. Picture Quality

3. Disc loading/java/responsiveness

I would gladly give up my 1st gen Pioneer for this new 2nd gen...Give me a reason!

·
Registered
16,936 Posts
I would like to know if the player correctly sends a 5.1 PCM signal as 5.1 and not 7.1 like the Sam 1400? I would assume yes, but it would be nice to get some confirmation.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine /forum/post/11873814

Tony,

Please let us know the boot time for the new FOX discs (e.g. Day After Tomorrow, FF: ROTSS) as well as earlier java based titles (e.g. POTC: COTBP, The Descent)

It just took 35 seconds from pushing the close botton on the remote to Kingdom of Heaven to begin playing..

With Disk in DVD player and player on stop, using POTC: COTBP it took 22 seconds for the POTC loading message to appear and a total of 38 seconds for the Disney screen to appear...

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/11880523

Setting up now... Posts coming shortly....

Looking forward to your PQ comparisons with the 94HD...

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarc /forum/post/11871860

Please give us your impression of bitstream DTS-HD MA and bitstream trueHD decoded in your 9.8 versus PS3 decoding/sending multichannel LPCM.

I have the 9.8 and PS3 and I'm wondering if the 95HD Pio produces better sound for blu-ray.

Theoretically I don't see any reason why 5.1 PCM on the PS3 would sound different than DTS-HD MA via the 95FD but the Kingdom of Heaven Soundtrack was played on the PS3 when I first got the Integra DTC-9.8 and I listeded to the DTS-HD MA soundtrack of same title on 95FD last night and it sounded significantly better ( sounds were absolutely un-frig'in-believable )..

I didn't have a chance to A/B them but the DTS-HD MA is mindblowing - better than any soundtrack I recall listening to...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am very interested in this player. I have been planning on picking up a player in the next month.

But - I really think I will wait until I can compare this unit to the new Panasonic DMP-BD30 thats coming out.

I would assume the BD30 will have 7.1 Analog out + DVD Audio like the BD10, which the BDP-95 is missing.

So I'm wondering what this unit has that the Panasonic will not, and is this worth double the $$.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This should be made a sticky...going to be a popular thread I think!

·
Premium Member
24,047 Posts
After setting it up I can't help feeling deja vu all over again. As you can see in the pic it does look nearly identical to the 94HD and HD1. I do like the class look it has though. I really like that high gloss piano finish look. As Tony said it takes about 35 seconds for titles to start playing. Which actually is a pretty BIG improvement over the two older models. Just like the others initial set up is a breeze. I do like the Pioneer start up screen better on the 95FD. It just looks cooler. I am not only comparing this unit to its brothers (or cousins) but also to the samsung 1400. This ELITE unit costs more but you feel like it is money well spent.

Once again I love having the resolution button on the remote. Being able to change it on the fly is so much nicer then having to stop the movie and go into the set up menu (like the 1400 and HD DVD players). If there is one feature other manufacturers could learn from Pioneer that would be a good one to start with.
Also, having 1080p/23.98 (24) done without issues is a breath of fresh air. Toshiba has been struggling as many of us know so it is nice to get a unit out of the box (just like the 1400, 94HD and HD1) that can do 1080p/23.98 without any EDID issues. I have not spent a great amount of time with this unit but from what I have I can say it is THE best Blu ray player on the market.

The picture Q is very colorful and very sharp. It bests the very impressive (especially for its price) samsung 1400. Not by a lot in terms of pic Q but when you add the entire package together you know why the Pioneer is more. Picture settings, menu options, great remote (which is light years ahead of the competition) and of course a great picture with great sound. Speaking of sound I have only done a couple of comparisons so far but it is to easy to select bitstream passing in the menu. No confusion here. You are either sending D.D. or DTS via HDMI or PCM... Your call. That easy. I will do more on audio soon but sending the audio to my receiver (onkyo 905) sounded great just as I expected. It also sounded good the few minutes I had the 95FD doing it. I am not going to say which is better because I do not want to open that can of worms again. So do not ask here. PM me.

I am using the new Sony VPL- VW60 "Black Pearl" (which is the 3rd pic)for all of my comparison so far. It handles 1080p/23.98 like a champ. I can also send it straight into my crystalio II and then tweak the image before sending it to the VW60 in 1080p/23.98. The Pioneer 95FD gets along with all of my other components which I do not take for granted these days. And yes I am making reference to the XA2 and A35 which are stubborn when it comes to sending 1080p/24 to some displays. In direct comparison to the 94HD the 95FD is obviously a more flexible unit with a little quicker load times. Being able to pass HBR audio directly to the receiver for decoding is a really cool feature. Especially if you purchased one of the newer ones that can decode it. The picture Q is very close. I keep going back and forth. Going straight to my pj it does look like the 95FD is just a little more sharper but their brilliant colors are nearly identical. I will say the home media gallery looks more refined on the 95FD. I have never really got into that feature before but now I am intrigued so I may just jump in!

Bottom line is if you have the 94HD and do not care about the bitstream audio feature then there is absolutely no reason to dump it for the 95FD. However, if you do not and are interested in getting the best Blu ray unit in terms of features and pic/sound Q then look no further than the 95FD! I hate to keep picking the new Pioneer units as my favorite Blu ray unit but honestly the other companies are still two steps behind. The 95FD is the starter in my set up.
More to come (SD DVD versus the A35 and XA2 and even 1400) as well as a few more thoughts on audio...BTW, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (BR) is looking and sounding awesome on this unit!
Pick up a copy!

21 - 40 of 2450 Posts