AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 2450 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The Dolby TrueHD demo disc has a few samples with DD+, so I'll give it a go when I have a chance.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP /forum/post/13355374

I would also like to know if you are using the analog outputs are the Tos-link and S/PDIF outputs still active at the same time as the analogs?

Yes: the 5.1-channel output and the Toslink output are active at the same time.

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw /forum/post/13359687

The Dolby TrueHD demo disc has a few samples with DD+, so I'll give it a go when I have a chance.

Is the Dolby True-HD demo disc available for sale any place? Can anyone purchase it? Thanks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Any one with any information about the Yamaha RX-V663 receiver? I understand that it is reasonable priced and it is compatible with the advanced audio codecs we are discussing here.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF70 /forum/post/13360374

Is the Dolby True-HD demo disc available for sale any place? Can anyone purchase it? Thanks.

I've seen some selling it here on AVS, but I don't think you can walk into a store and buy it. Dolby was giving them away at its booth at CES.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcut /forum/post/13356335

Has anybody seen the 95fd actually output dolby digital plus. I have tried to watch a couple of movies that supposedly output dolby digital plus, but all i get on my receiver (denon 3808) is dolby digital.

Yes. I set the 95 to Auto and played the DD+ sample on the Dolby TrueHD test disc and the xvx94 receiver indicated it was receiving "Dolby Digital Plus."

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I set the 95 to output PCM and quickly switched inputs between HDMI and Mutli-channel and I have to say I couldn't hear a difference. But I don't think this is a very definitive test.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw /forum/post/13361017

I set the 95 to output PCM and quickly switched inputs between HDMI and Mutli-channel and I have to say I couldn't hear a difference. But I don't think this is a very definitive test.

Ok, just for my reference. My current config is to use coax digital to my processor, which is getting dolby digital 5.1. I am going to install analog cables going from the 5.1 outs to my processor tonight.

What settings do I need to change to (try) and get PCM audio out the 5.1 analogs (if any)?

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw /forum/post/13360983

I've seen some selling it here on AVS, but I don't think you can walk into a store and buy it. Dolby was giving them away at its booth at CES.

Rhanks for answering, Ben.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that the titles that say DD+ are actually Dolby Digital. Any titles that somebody has seen with actual DD+ other than the TrueHD Demo Disc? I just want to test my reciever to make sure it will pass DD+ without resorting to getting a cheap HD-DVD player. I love my 95FD, and the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA sound incredible.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcut /forum/post/13364092

I think that the titles that say DD+ are actually Dolby Digital. Any titles that somebody has seen with actual DD+ other than the TrueHD Demo Disc? I just want to test my reciever to make sure it will pass DD+ without resorting to getting a cheap HD-DVD player. I love my 95FD, and the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA sound incredible.

Have you done a firmware update?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think what you have to do is change the analog outs to 5.1, default is 2.1 I think. Can't remember if there is anything else to do.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP /forum/post/13364820

I think what you have to do is change the analog outs to 5.1, default is 2.1 I think. Can't remember if there is anything else to do.

Yes, I discoverd that. I am fooling around with it right now, and here is an initial report.

I started with Terminator 3, and found no difference between the coax out and the 5.1 outs. I discovered that the disc only has dolby digital, no HD audio. Whats up with that???

So I put in Fifth Element, and after figuring out that I had to select the PCM audio track, I "believe" I heard tighter bass, a little crisper highs, but more noticably a wider, more spacious soundstage. Overall though, not hugely impressive.

Now I am working on The Day After Tomorrow. This seems to be the biggest difference. It is a DTS track, and it is the same differences as in the fifth element, but to a much more noticable degree. Now, I'll admit, that I do not have a DTS audio calibration disc, as I did with dolby digital, so I can't say if my digital DTS is calibrated correctly, but it does have dolby digital in french, so I was switching between DTS MA and DD and can say without a doubt that the DTS MA via the 5.1 outs sounds fantastic. Clearly better then the DD track.

I need to listen to much more, but my initial results seem to indicate that there is a difference between the digital out and the 5.1 analog out.

For what it's worth...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
mchad

I think you may have to select PCM output instead of bitstream in the dvd players audio settings. Then in theory it should send your Dolby True HD audio out the analogs.

·
Registered
709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchad /forum/post/13364983

Yes, I discoverd that. I am fooling around with it right now, and here is an initial report.

I started with Terminator 3, and found no difference between the coax out and the 5.1 outs. I discovered that the disc only has dolby digital, no HD audio. Whats up with that???

So I put in Fifth Element, and after figuring out that I had to select the PCM audio track, I "believe" I heard tighter bass, a little crisper highs, but more noticably a wider, more spacious soundstage. Overall though, not hugely impressive.

Now I am working on The Day After Tomorrow. This seems to be the biggest difference. It is a DTS track, and it is the same differences as in the fifth element, but to a much more noticable degree. Now, I'll admit, that I do not have a DTS audio calibration disc, as I did with dolby digital, so I can't say if my digital DTS is calibrated correctly, but it does have dolby digital in french, so I was switching between DTS MA and DD and can say without a doubt that the DTS MA via the 5.1 outs sounds fantastic. Clearly better then the DD track.

I need to listen to much more, but my initial results seem to indicate that there is a difference between the digital out and the 5.1 analog out.

For what it's worth...

Its great that you are testing but remember you are not comparing apples to apples. The 5.1 is deing decoded by the player and the digital is being decoded by the receiver. Not really a fair comparison.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

Quote:
Its great that you are testing but remember you are not comparing apples to apples. The 5.1 is deing decoded by the player and the digital is being decoded by the receiver. Not really a fair comparison.

My understanding is that the NO receiver decodes and HD Audio content, this is ONLY done but the player. Unless it can bitstreams it to the receiver.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw /forum/post/13368511

Yes, I understand that. However one would *think* that if I was only getting DD5.1 out the analog outs on the 95fd, it should sound at least similar to my Aragon Soundstage. The Aragon is no slouch, in fact it is an excellent sounding processor, so I don't think that the 95 could be doing that much a better job in decoding dolby digital that I would notice a difference (with the analog sounding better)

Like I said, I'm still experimenting, and considering that I don't fully know what I am doing (regarding the settings on the 95, selecting which audio tracks, etc) I have to spend more time on it.

Also, as I stated in a previous post, I did get an extra db25 to 6 RCA cable, from a "home maker" on eBay, which I am not going to use. So if anyone wants it (free) drop me a PM and I'll drop it in the mail. It's not an impressive looking cable, but would be good for fooling around testing like I am doing...

Mike

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcut /forum/post/13364092

I think that the titles that say DD+ are actually Dolby Digital. Any titles that somebody has seen with actual DD+ other than the TrueHD Demo Disc?

According to blu-raystats.com, the only titles with DD+ is "The Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up - Live" and "Planet Earth (US Version)." And if you think that's bad, there isn't one that has DTS-HD HR (DTS's equivalent to DD+)

So unless you like HD DVD, I don't see a point in worrying about it. I have seen DD+ on the new MPEG4 Moto cable STBs, but seeing those in the wild is probabbly a few years off. I see DD+ replacing DD eventually on TV etc, but I don't see why anyone would put DD+ on a Blu-ray disc instead of TrueHD.

PS, the BBC version of Planet Earth is better than the US Version (not including your announcer preference). 1080i vs 1080p and each episode is longer because they were shown without commercial interruption on the BBC.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP /forum/post/13368718

My understanding is that the NO receiver decodes and HD Audio content, this ONLYy done but the player.

What?

Not sure what you mean here, but there are some newer receivers like the vxv-94 with HDMI 1.3 that can decode TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. In fact, right now that is the only way to listen to DTS-HD MA, as no players currently support decoding it internally.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw /forum/post/13369159

What?

Not sure what you mean here, but there are some newer receivers like the vxv-94 with HDMI 1.3 that can decode TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. In fact, right now that is the only way to listen to DTS-HD MA, as no players currently support decoding it internally.

Are you saying that the 95fd does not decode DTS MA internally? If so, that is a bit confusing. Last night, while testing, I was switching back and forth between the DTS MA soundtrack and the DD5.1 soundtrack (in french) on THe Day After Tomorrow, (using the analog 5.1 outs) and the difference was very substantial?

1581 - 1600 of 2450 Posts