AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a Magnolia shop today just browsing AVRs since I am in the market. I wasn't planning on buying anything but the SC-LX501 (301 and 101 also) was on sale at better pricing then I have seen online. I think the sale ended today so I picked one up as a Christmas present for myself. I have until 01/15 to return it so I figured I am covered if I find something else in the meantime.

Why is there so little info in the forums about this AVR? Is there something that makes this an odd duck? Something much better at this price level?

We have an official 101 and 301 thread and another 701, 801 and 901 thread but no 501?

This will eventually be used in my basement that will either be wired for 7.2 or 5.2.2. Until then it will be running 5.1 in the family room.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am an owner of a Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 for a few months now. There is next to no information on the web about this Pioneer AVR. I have posted a few problems I have had with my SC-LX501 on another thread. One thing I noticed is this model seems to only have the standard MCACC rather than the advanced or pro editions. In my readings and web search I have read that Pioneer Elite Models are supposed to have the Pro MCACC edition.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sound and test tone are not being sent to Subwoofer by the Pioneer SC-LX501 AVR when in Speaker Setup of Channel Level setup. The extended manual states : "Select a value between "-15.0 dB" and "+12.0 dB" (in 0.5 dB increments). A test tone will be output each time you change the value. Select the desired
level."

When using Full Auto MCACC the Subwoofer is seen by the AVR and a test tone is heard coming from the Subwoofer. There is no problem at all with the Subwoofer. The Pioneer SC-LX501 AVR does send a test tone to the Subwoofer when using Full Auto MCACC.

GOT IT FIXED.Don't ask me how, I tried many things from firmware update to disconnecting all the connections. There is a short delay before the subwoofer tone is heard.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be unboxing mine after Christmas and start updating this thread. I am disappointed that they do not have the same MCACC as the higher Elites.

·
Registered
588 Posts
kinda diisapointed and I'm comming from a marantz from 2014 ,this pioneer is missing a lot of stuff that my marantz at 300 bucks had.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an older vsx-1020 and when watching tv and the sound mode changes it will sometimes click. I have seen a lot of talk of this in the other thread. Is it a relay click or something coming through the speakers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got this receiver yesterday and noticed that there seems to be a delay for the sound to kick in when I'm using the apple tv. When I use the apple tv remote and move around the tiles when I first move it one or two tiles, there is no sound and then it kicks in later if I keep scrolling. Has anyone else noticed this or know how to fix it? Seems odd, like the receiver goes to sleep and then takes a second to wake up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just picked up the SC-LX501 on Monday and so far so good, the new UI is a damn huge improvement from the previous models that's for sure.

Overall the sound has been really impressive too after an Auto calibration, I'm a bit surprised that this Elite model doesn't have MCACC Pro? Doesn't make any sense at all... I came from the SC-71 and specs for specs these two are almost identical outside of the updated HDMI input and so on.

Either way I'm really enjoying the heck out of this receiver, highs are crisp and detailed, mids are warm and not harsh and the lows are thundering.

Reactions: Aerorhcp

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm really thinking of getting this receiver (from Accessories4Less) to replace a Denon 3313. Any thoughts? How much of an upgrade? It'll be set up in a medium sized living room - 5.2 regular arrangement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the "Standard" MACACC. Also, My Sub channel LFE will NOT play on any test files like DTS or THX. It will appear and work for the MCACC Test. I wanted to upgrade to the SC-LX701 but I am a week past my 15 day return/exchange policy at BestBuy Magnolia. Buyer's remorse has kicked in 100%.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also having an issue with the OSD overlay suddenly flickering on the TV screen!! I have tried everything outside of system RESET. Going to call Pioneer Monday morning.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the "Standard" MACACC. Also, My Sub channel LFE will NOT play on any test files like DTS or THX. It will appear and work for the MCACC Test. I wanted to upgrade to the SC-LX701 but I am a week past my 15 day return/exchange policy at BestBuy Magnolia. Buyer's remorse has kicked in 100%.
I was also disappointed with this but came to the conclusion that the standard calibration was just fine for me. I honestly never had a good experience with these auto calibration features, the sound never came out the way I wanted it to so I'm fine with the way it is. Sound is impressive on all levels lows/mids/highs so I'm happy with it. I'm a BB Elite Member so I still have some time left (45 days) to return it if I wanted to, sorry to hear that you're not feeling the receiver!

·
Registered
3 Posts
VSX-LX501 HDMI audio pass through

I purchased the Pioneer VSX-LX501 from Best Buy for a new house. The only information I can find from Pioneer and online is for a the SC-LX501. Anyone know if they are the same item and why my receipt says VSX-LX501.

I have not had a lot of time to use it yet as I am not living there full time yet. I let Greek Squad set it up and not sure they did a very good job. I was getting no bass and they claimed my sub was too old! After playing around with the settings got the bass back it sounds pretty good for music. Have not tested it with a movie yet. It was a bad idea to buy it when I knew I would not have time to play around with it because now I am well beyond my Best Buy return window and only used it about 5 times.

Another thing Geek Squad did, which is probably standard but I am not sure I want, is only hook up the Cox cable box to the AV receiver. Sometimes I like to watch TV without running the sound through all the speakers in the ceiling. This is especially true when my wife is sleeping and I am watching TV in the family room. The cable box and the DVD are hooked to the receiver with HDMI. I read that some AV receivers will allow the HDMI to pass through the unit if it is turned off, allowing the sound to play from he TV speakers instead of the surround sound speakers.

I cannot seem to make this happen on the LX-501. If it is not turned on, I cannot get any signal to the TV. I know the easiest solution is to run another HDMI straight from he cable box with a spilter to another input on the TV, but wondering if there is a way for the LX-501 to accomplish this.

I also purchased 5 Speakercraft Profile Aim8 Three - 8 inch speakers. They sure don't sound like they did in the Magnolia Sound Room. Maybe I need more adjustments but they sound very tinny.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased the Pioneer VSX-LX501 from Best Buy for a new house. The only information I can find from Pioneer and online is for a the SC-LX501. Anyone know if they are the same item and why my receipt says VSX-LX501.

I have not had a lot of time to use it yet as I am not living there full time yet. I let Greek Squad set it up and not sure they did a very good job. I was getting no bass and they claimed my sub was too old! After playing around with the settings got the bass back it sounds pretty good for music. Have not tested it with a movie yet. It was a bad idea to buy it when I knew I would not have time to play around with it because now I am well beyond my Best Buy return window and only used it about 5 times.

Another thing Geek Squad did, which is probably standard but I am not sure I want, is only hook up the Cox cable box to the AV receiver. Sometimes I like to watch TV without running the sound through all the speakers in the ceiling. This is especially true when my wife is sleeping and I am watching TV in the family room. The cable box and the DVD are hooked to the receiver with HDMI. I read that some AV receivers will allow the HDMI to pass through the unit if it is turned off, allowing the sound to play from he TV speakers instead of the surround sound speakers.

I cannot seem to make this happen on the LX-501. If it is not turned on, I cannot get any signal to the TV. I know the easiest solution is to run another HDMI straight from he cable box with a spilter to another input on the TV, but wondering if there is a way for the LX-501 to accomplish this.

I also purchased 5 Speakercraft Profile Aim8 Three - 8 inch speakers. They sure don't sound like they did in the Magnolia Sound Room. Maybe I need more adjustments but they sound very tinny.

Thanks for any suggestion

Thanks for any help.
The VSX-LX501 and SC-LX501 seem to be the same thing - judging by this sales sheet, even Pioneer is not sure:

Connecting the cable box to the receiver the way they did is normal and should work. Your manual is here:https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/SC-LX501_Manual_EnFr.pdf . Instructions for enabling HDMI Passthrough on Standby (i.e., when the receiver is off) are on page 21. The instructions are grouped with those for CEC. I would be very cautious about enabling CEC (aka HDMI Control). Many people have had problems with it...

I haven't heard those speakers but they have excellent reviews. If Geek Squad's set-up was a problem, their installation may not be the best either, and that could certainly affect the sound.

I think you might be best with professional help - and I don't mean the Geek Squad. Check for an independent local home theatre installer - if you post your location, there are probably people here who can recommend someone. You spent plenty of money, you should be able to get good sound.

Good luck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Any opinions on the difference between the SC-LX 501 and older Elite SC-81/82 audio-wise? I have the SC-1224, which is a EU version of Elite SC-81/82 and looking for a newer replacement mostly due to HDR future proofing (SC-1224 does 4K/60p but most likely won´t pass thru HDR) as I´m using Xbox One S with only 1 HDMI out and planning on getting an LG OLED HDR tv in a near future...and having Atmos/DTS:X should also be nice.

Gotta say that SC-1224 sounds fantastic, been using it for a some 1 and 1/2 years with absolutely no hassle whatsoever...so I´m curious where those 6 pounds/2,5 kgs have been dropped in the weight on SC-LX 501 compared to the SC-81/82. Anytime I see a drop in the weight in newer models I can imagine a drop in audio quality.

Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just bought this used. Couple questions. 1. Can you explain how the upscaling works? Is the receiver actively upscaling to 4k?
2. I can't seem to connect to my NAS Synology to play flac files. I connect to network just fine but never shows up under NET tab...
I also not ed its a good bit lighter than my old S C 35...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Any opinions on the difference between the SC-LX 501 and older Elite SC-81/82 audio-wise? I have the SC-1224, which is a EU version of Elite SC-81/82 and looking for a newer replacement mostly due to HDR future proofing (SC-1224 does 4K/60p but most likely won´t pass thru HDR) as I´m using Xbox One S with only 1 HDMI out and planning on getting an LG OLED HDR tv in a near future...and having Atmos/DTS:X should also be nice.

Gotta say that SC-1224 sounds fantastic, been using it for a some 1 and 1/2 years with absolutely no hassle whatsoever...so I´m curious where those 6 pounds/2,5 kgs have been dropped in the weight on SC-LX 501 compared to the SC-81/82. Anytime I see a drop in the weight in newer models I can imagine a drop in audio quality.

Thanks.
Seriously, when I picked up the SC-LX501 I said damn..this thing is light compared to my old SC-05

1 - 20 of 358 Posts