AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
UPDATE! OK - I'm getting off the fence. My old Denon 3313 seemed to have better imaging than this Pioneer...and I miss it. I don't hear differentiation of sound effects as much as I used to - especially with the rear channels. Yeah, there's good power there, but just not the clarity that I expected. It might be ok as a $4-500 receiver, but I'm now looking to sell mine and upgrade to something else. I'm also noticing some bugs here and there with airplay and others. Darn - heck - fudge!
Yeah, I re-did calibration at a higher volume, "00" as reference and found it to be sounding much better across all volume ranges. This alleviated the need to use Pure Direct to experience good sound and forcing me to forego any processing. Maybe worth a try in your case?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
any tips on HDMI ARC sound? anyone?

Hoping someone can help: Trouble getting sound from TV ARC reliably.

I've got LG OLED65B7 connected from it's HDMI/ARC to Pioneer HDMI out main 1.

Sound from TV does work, but when first turning TV on I keep having to change back & for between playing something on my Shield & then TV to get sound out of TV.

I'm on latest firmware. upgraded today.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
DTS Play-Fi on LX501?

Can't tell absolutely if it has it or not. Many articles & intl site say yes. But Pioneer USA just told me it doesn't.
Maybe only outside US has it? Or they never actually followed through to put it in firmware update?

·
Registered
967 Posts
any tips on HDMI ARC sound? anyone?
Maybe you have CEC turned on, and it's forcing the sound through a different input?

Check that you've set up the 501 to use the right output/input for sound, and aren't duplicating (not using both analog and digital).
Check that CEC isn't enabled.

I have a 501 attached to an LG TV and have had 0 problems using ARC for sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just upgrade from an Onkyo Tx-NR717 to the Pioneer SC-LX501, and I was immediately impressed by the sound quality through my 5.1 Pioneer SP-PK52FS Speakers.
However, I've run into some really frustrating, deal-breaking video issues, and I wonder if any of you can point out what I'm doing wrong.

My current setup TO the receiver is:
  • A 27" iMac (mid 2011)
  • connected using this PNY Thunderbolt Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (I can't post URLs, but amazon.com/gp/product/B007B6YPAM)
  • along with a 25ft Mediabridge HDMI Cable (Supports [email protected], HDMI 2.0) (amazon.com/gp/product/B0031TRZX2)

From there, I have an HDMI cable (the same as above) running out to my BenQ HT2050 Projector (amazon.com/BenQ-DLP-1080p-Projector-HT2050/dp/B016JYOQ3W)

The problem, which never occurred with my Onkyo, is that the projector will show my computer screen for a couple seconds, lose the signal, find it again, and show the screen again - over and over and over.

Things I've tried so far:
  • Pioneer customer support recommended an HDMI booster, but I tested my roommate's Nintendo Switch, and it works perfectly - So I don't think the cable length from receiver to projector is an issue
  • I then brought my iMac in to the same room and plugged the Nintendo Switch's HDMI cable into it (making no other changes) - and I get the same searching/detected loop as before

Things I'm considering:
  • Maybe a new Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter
  • An HDMI booster between my iMac and the receiver
  • Could this be an HDCP issue?
  • Giving up and going back to my old Onkyo

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just upgrade from an Onkyo Tx-NR717 to the Pioneer SC-LX501, and I was immediately impressed by the sound quality through my 5.1 Pioneer SP-PK52FS Speakers.
However, I've run into some really frustrating, deal-breaking video issues, and I wonder if any of you can point out what I'm doing wrong.

My current setup TO the receiver is:
  • A 27" iMac (mid 2011)
  • connected using this PNY Thunderbolt Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (I can't post URLs, but amazon.com/gp/product/B007B6YPAM)
  • along with a 25ft Mediabridge HDMI Cable (Supports [email protected], HDMI 2.0) (amazon.com/gp/product/B0031TRZX2)

From there, I have an HDMI cable (the same as above) running out to my BenQ HT2050 Projector (amazon.com/BenQ-DLP-1080p-Projector-HT2050/dp/B016JYOQ3W)

The problem, which never occurred with my Onkyo, is that the projector will show my computer screen for a couple seconds, lose the signal, find it again, and show the screen again - over and over and over.

Things I've tried so far:
  • Pioneer customer support recommended an HDMI booster, but I tested my roommate's Nintendo Switch, and it works perfectly - So I don't think the cable length from receiver to projector is an issue
  • I then brought my iMac in to the same room and plugged the Nintendo Switch's HDMI cable into it (making no other changes) - and I get the same searching/detected loop as before

Things I'm considering:
  • Maybe a new Thunderbolt to HDMI Adapter
  • An HDMI booster between my iMac and the receiver
  • Could this be an HDCP issue?
  • Giving up and going back to my old Onkyo
For anyone else who might have this problem - Adapter solved it!!
(#Happydance)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping someone can help me out here. I'm having issues with my subwoofer not getting enough volume. It's a Klipsch R-12SW. All the rest of my speakers are the largest in the Klipsch (RP) Reference Premier Line. If I turn on Pure Direct the sub is nice & loud, but when I go back to Dolby or DTS it sounds like it's barely even on & the level is at +7.5. If I go into AV settings & turn off MCACC the same thing happens, the sub is loud. So, how do I get the sub to be louder when running the MCACC? Speakers are all set to small, gain on the sub is past 50% crossover is at 80 on both the AVR & the sub....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't cast music to zone2 via builtin ChromeCast, unit goes into standby.

I've had my LX501 for a few months now and have it hooked up for a zone 2 to power some speakers on my deck. Now that the weather is getting nicer i tried to use it and its not going as well as i thought.

I have an iphone and would like to be able to cast music being played from google music to the 2nd zone (deck). Every time i try via the pioneer app it flips the unit into Standby. I am able to use the app to play via Airplay but some apps don't allow airplay and have a chromecast option. Casting to zone 1 works just fine, and i even tried casting to both zones but the second you turn on zone 2 while casting it places the unit into standby.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah, I re-did calibration at a higher volume, "00" as reference and found it to be sounding much better across all volume ranges. This alleviated the need to use Pure Direct to experience good sound and forcing me to forego any processing. Maybe worth a try in your case?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Has this worked for anyone else? I’ve been satisfied with Pure direct, but am disappointed that the surround setting using anything else don’t sound as good.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Problem with SC-LX501 and Epson 5020 UB projector

Hi, I also posted the below in the Epson 5020UB owners thread. Any help or advice is appreciated:

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest anything I may not have tried yet in trying to get my Epson 5020UB working with a new Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 receiver, which is a recent upgrade.

I previously owned a Pioneer VSX-1021 and was using that for my audio and to switch my HDMI inputs. It was typically connected to a Sony rear-projection set but I also have the Epson installed in the room with a motorized screen and prefer to use that for watching movies. In the past I'd just manually swap the HDMI output from the receiver between the TV and projector as needed. Low-tech, I know. But it worked.

In late April this year, I upgraded the TV to an LG 4K OLED set, and replaced the receiver with the Pioneer Elite due to the 4K processing requirements. As the Elite has dual HDMI outputs , MAIN + SUB and I am only using a single zone, the manual states that SUB can be used to drive a projector in conjunction with the MAIN TV output, so I expected no issues in being able to continue to use my projector. Unfortunately, at the time I replaced these components, I had to travel shortly afterwards and as my primary interest at that time was the new 4K set, I didn't have time to actually test the projector during the initial setup. Now, having just tried to so in the past few days, I am finding that I'm not having any luck whatsoever in getting a successful HDMI signal out from the Pioneer to the Epson. And my return window for the Pioneer has passed so I am stuck with it. It's been updated to the most recent firmware, at least as of the past week or so.

As far as specifics of what I am trying to get working, my input source is a gen 1 Xbox one connected via HDMI port 5 on the Elite. HDMI port 5 is supposed to be a non-HDCP 2.2. port and I would expect to be able to pass this through to the Epson, which is HDMI-1/HDCP 1 based. The Xbox has a TiVo connected to its HDMI input and so my TiVo viewing is normally through the Xbox TV mode. The Xbox One HDMI signal output settings are 1080p 60Hz w/ 24 bit standard color space.

On the Elite, for video processing, I have 1080p->4K upscaling disabled, and have disabled CEC and ARC. When connected to the LG OLED TV, if I press the info button on the Pioneer remote, for Video it shows "HDMI5 1080p 59Hz". So it's not being upscaled.

I have tried it with the LG OLED connected to MAIN and the projector on SUB outputs, tried it the opposite way (as per Pioneer tech support suggestion), and tried it with just the projector connected to MAIN. In every instance, the projector just dumbly displays the "No Signal" message. I don't even get the Elite GUI if try to go to the menu, so even the native video the Elite is putting out for its interface doesn't display.

If I disconnect the projector from Pioneer HDMI output and connect it directly to the Xbox, I get a picture, so the cable is ok, cable length is ok (or at least as far as the Xbox goes). I also tested with a gen 2 apple TV and that also gives me a picture on the projector, so generally the projector seems fine.

Suffice to say I've gone back and forth multiple times w/ both Pioneer and Epson and each is pointing the finger at the other. And they have both been insistent that cable length could be the issue, as the run to the projector is about 20 feet. So to finally settle that, I took the projector down from the ceiling and placed it near the receiver where I could plug it in using the same 5-foot cable that works fine with the TV set. And once again, you guessed it: "No signal".

I am about to fall on the sword and buy a new 4K projector but I really was not planning on that right now. However, I seem to have gone through every logical test and these two pieces of gear do not want to cooperate. I thought about trying to put a splitter in between but I've already blown money on active cables etc and I am not gonna throw good money after bad. I know the projector is 5 years old at this point and already a dinosaur in tech terms, buy I still cannot parse out why this won't work when the other HDMI sources I'm using are fine, unless Pioneer is not backwards compatible w/ HDMI 1-based gear, but they claim to be, and I'm being told by tech support that this scenario is "very unusual".

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Many thanks...

·
Registered
967 Posts
There are a few things that come to mind, based on cases in the past where I've had devices be unable to connect. Usually it was due to other video settings.

For instance, does your projector support 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 color, or does it only support RGB? Does your projector support HDR? Does your projector support 24hz, 59hz, 60hz, etc.?

It's possible that one of these settings is preventing your projector from receiving a signal that it can interpret (so it's probably not really not receiving a signal, but rather, one that it doesn't understand).

I cannot explain why it's not receiving a signal at 1080p, however; I've never had that problem. This sounds more like some incompatibility in your projector, sadly. Good luck, let us know what you find!

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a few things that come to mind, based on cases in the past where I've had devices be unable to connect. Usually it was due to other video settings.

For instance, does your projector support 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 color, or does it only support RGB? Does your projector support HDR? Does your projector support 24hz, 59hz, 60hz, etc.?

It's possible that one of these settings is preventing your projector from receiving a signal that it can interpret (so it's probably not really not receiving a signal, but rather, one that it doesn't understand).

I cannot explain why it's not receiving a signal at 1080p, however; I've never had that problem. This sounds more like some incompatibility in your projector, sadly. Good luck, let us know what you find!
So, AFAIK, it just supports the old standards. 24 bit RGB color, no HDR, 720/1080 scan rates, progressive or interlaced at 60Hz, and that's one of the things I'm a bit thrown by as the LG TV does show it is a 59Hz signal, so if it is not actually 60Hz and needs to be, that could be it. There's really not much exposed through the Elite's menus that shows much info about the HDMI config or the signal outputs, so that doesn't help either. I do think it's likely a basic compatibility thing and this projector has aged out and just isn't going to work with newer systems. All of the settings are as basic as I've been able to make them and still can't get it going. I've pretty much already decided to go forward with a current 4K-compatible HDMI 2 / HDCP 2.2 projector. If I am going 4K I may as well fully commit.

Thanks for your input.

-John

·
Registered
861 Posts
There is a new firmware released 6/5/2018 for SC-LX501

Version 2119-6040-5070-0010
- Improvement of audio output when playback certain Dolby Digital Plus contents.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a new firmware released 6/5/2018 for SC-LX501

Version 2119-6040-5070-0010
- Improvement of audio output when playback certain Dolby Digital Plus contents.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.
Need a little help from the 501 experts please. I bought the pioneer 501 elite back in feb. from amazon warehouse. Everthing sounds and looks great. I have a Appletv 4k, Xbox one S, and a Samsung k8500 4k player connected to it. When watching Appletv and I press info button on remote it displays input Hdmi 2, multich pcm 5.1 and output pcm 5.1ch. Which is correct. If I am watching a movie on Xbox or Samsung 4k player ( Xbox is Hdmi 1 & Samsung is Hdmi 3) Info displays input Hdmi 3, Dolb D 5.1 ch and Output Dolby digital 7.1 ch. This is incorrect. It should output 5.1ch. I have Samsung and Xbox both set to bitstream so reciever can decode. This morning I discovered that if I cycle through surround options on remote it then displays correct output. Sorry I failed to mention that I have all speaker connections being used on reciever. I have it hooked up to do 7.1 and 5.1.2 I just want the receiver to play and decode movies to its original soundtrack. I dont want any extra proccessing. If a movis is 5.1, I want it to play only 5.1. Its just a little anoying that I have to cycle through surround options for it to play correctly. Anyone else have this issue and have and automatic solution? Thank you for any help

·
Registered
861 Posts
Need a little help from the 501 experts please. I bought the pioneer 501 elite back in feb. from amazon warehouse. Everthing sounds and looks great. I have a Appletv 4k, Xbox one S, and a Samsung k8500 4k player connected to it. When watching Appletv and I press info button on remote it displays input Hdmi 2, multich pcm 5.1 and output pcm 5.1ch. Which is correct. If I am watching a movie on Xbox or Samsung 4k player ( Xbox is Hdmi 1 & Samsung is Hdmi 3) Info displays input Hdmi 3, Dolb D 5.1 ch and Output Dolby digital 7.1 ch. This is incorrect. It should output 5.1ch. I have Samsung and Xbox both set to bitstream so reciever can decode. This morning I discovered that if I cycle through surround options on remote it then displays correct output. Sorry I failed to mention that I have all speaker connections being used on reciever. I have it hooked up to do 7.1 and 5.1.2 I just want the receiver to play and decode movies to its original soundtrack. I dont want any extra proccessing. If a movis is 5.1, I want it to play only 5.1. Its just a little anoying that I have to cycle through surround options for it to play correctly. Anyone else have this issue and have and automatic solution? Thank you for any help
I know for DTS HD 5.1 the receiver outputs 7.1 automatically. Basically, all newer receivers will do this. On the XBOX ONE S your audio settings should be bitstream Dolby Atmos and in the blu-ray setting set to "let my receiver decode audio" however sometimes with these settings the xbox will still send out pcm 7.1 if in menus. on your 4k blu-ray player make sure secondary audio is turned off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the 502.
Before I try pull all my cords and resetting everything, have any of you guys experienced the avr shuffling between cable input and TV input for no good reason when you turn on everything? Not the end of the world, finally settles on intended correct output but not right.

This started a week or two before the latest firmware and continues since I updated. Any thought?
I am really frustrated. I have samsung tv and lx502. I want to use arc. When I have arc set up, it works well, but when I turn the tv on, it turns the receiver on and goes to previous cbl/sat input which is good, but then about 3 seconds later it goes to "TV" input which gives me no audio or video as it seems "TV" is a digital input, which I am not using. I even skipped it in lx502 setup. Still goes to it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for assistance connecting my LX-501 to a Bose Sound Touch. I want to use the Bose Sound Touch out on my patio so looking for a wireless option. For some reason I thought this receiver had wireless capability but cant fond anything about that in the manual.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I am really frustrated. I have samsung tv and lx502. I want to use arc. When I have arc set up, it works well, but when I turn the tv on, it turns the receiver on and goes to previous cbl/sat input which is good, but then about 3 seconds later it goes to "TV" input which gives me no audio or video as it seems "TV" is a digital input, which I am not using. I even skipped it in lx502 setup. Still goes to it. Any thoughts?
Turn off CEC. Everywhere.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK...so, I bought my 501 from Accessories4Less in March. Several little issues right off the bat...but I let it go. Then, bigger and bigger problems. 3 Month warranty runs out and the receiver starts shutting down for "NO" reason. ZERO help from A4L because warranty had expired a few days earlier. Efforts to contact Pioneer ran into hours on hold or in limbo. Now, receiver has completely died and I'm into my 2nd day attempting to get some help.

I've owned 2 Pioneer receivers in the last several years that I've had major problems with - although used to be a huge Pio fan! No longer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK...so, I bought my 501 from Accessories4Less in March. Several little issues right off the bat...but I let it go. Then, bigger and bigger problems. 3 Month warranty runs out and the receiver starts shutting down for "NO" reason. ZERO help from A4L because warranty had expired a few days earlier. Efforts to contact Pioneer ran into hours on hold or in limbo. Now, receiver has completely died and I'm into my 2nd day attempting to get some help.

I've owned 2 Pioneer receivers in the last several years that I've had major problems with - although used to be a huge Pio fan! No longer.
UPDATE! 4th day trying to get some answers/help. Guy at Pioneer support basically blamed "any" issues on me and my use and my cables and my speakers (very lightly run Polk RTi A5, A6, A3 series)- before even listening to what the receiver had done!?! Now, I must pay shipping 2 states away and wait an unknown amount of time before...anything?

4 month old receiver dies...and almost zero help from Accessories4Less and from Pioneer support!

301 - 320 of 358 Posts