AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Seriously, when I picked up the SC-LX501 I said damn..this thing is light compared to my old SC-05
How about audio? Do you feel any drop in quality? SC-LX501 is the only one using AKM DAC (AK4458), others up in the lineup use Sabre, just like my SC-1224 does...

·
Registered
386 Posts
So I bought the SC-LX501 last week as I finally got a very special price here in EU so I´d like to share some observations...

First off, I never figured out why Pioneer dropped out the MCACC Pro from the SC-LX501, being an Elite-branded receiver It looks like the MCACC Pro in 701/801/901 is identical to the ADVANCED MCACC on previous models, just like on my former SC-1224/Elite SC 81-82. On the SC-LX501 there is a stripped down, simple version of MCACC with neither options of Symmetry/All Channel Adjust/Front Align nor Reverb/Standing Wave management and fine channel adjustment. The Manual MCACC only allows EQ Adjust by leveling channels up/down in relation with frequency. Also, as often recommended to set Crossover to 80Hz and all speakers to SMALL before running MCACC as a best concept, there is no such option here since the FULL AUTO MCACC everytime rewrites any setting, which seems kinda weird. I´m really missing the point here and already sent a complaint to the Pioneer EU.

So just like I thought, the initial result was ABSOLUTELY off the line (which I never experienced on SC-1224), setting all my speakers to LARGE, distance with totally wrong measurements and channel levels in deeply negative numbers. Another thing that made me curious was why the test tones are so quiet (more people have mentioned this over at the SC-LX 701, 801... thread) and I realized you need to MANUALLY turn up the volume on the remote control (ideally to 0.0dB) when peforming any tweaks in MANUAL MCACC in order to have the tones clear and loud...this used to be automatic on previous models, always going down to 0.0dB as a reference and that´s why the warning of emitting loud tones had sense. I mentioned this hassle to the Pioneer EU as well.

So I figured that this type of "baby" MCACC most likely won´t be of any help whatsoever and I completely switched it OFF in AV adjust for every input and manually set crossover, distance and channel levels using my SPL meter (C, slow). To my surprise, the AVR sounds pretty good, noticeably sharper and tighter with bass than the SC-1224 did.

What I really don´t like is the significant Onkyo influence in OSD, disability to show outputting audio format on AVR´s display (you need to keep hitting STATUS on remote) and no DIMMER button on remote...or in iControlAV5 app, which is ridiculous...

There is no real AUDIO and VIDEO parameter option as it used to be, just stripped down version of some enhancements.

Also, everytime I press AV ADJUST when in NET or BD inputs, it brings me to blank screen on TV with selection of options on the bottom in really small font...not very attractive.

But basically one can get along with this AVR, played some HD audio demos yesterday and it does sound solid. Also the NET services work flawlessly, Spotify and Deezer out of my iPhone are displayed with nice info screen and images. But I´m a little pissed that Pioneer underestimated several things with this unit and literally made a odd duck out of it, comparing to the rest of lineup.

I have a 14-day trial, so contemplating to swap it for Marantz SR-6011 for just some 50 euros more. Never had any Marantz before, class AB amp, any opinions on this? I´m really confused here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know if the update for DTS-x has been released yet? I am trying to decide between the LX-501 and the Denon X3300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes its out

Firmware update for both DTSX/Neural X and Chromecast is out. I havent had a chance to use DTSX yet because I havent taken the height speaker plunge yet. The AVR works great for everything else though. Even surround sound on cable sounds better than the old Pioneer VSX 819 receiver I used to have.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So after thorough consideration and contemplating the odds I decided to keep the SC-LX501...the peculiar thing is that the more I´ve been playing with it the more I´ve started to get along with the sound, somehow. Well it needs to be said that the D-class amp runs absolutely cool (which is rather important thing in day-to-day use) and the amp is pretty strong; playing some Atmos/DTS HD demo in Pure Direct at cca -15dB is really within the bearable limits, not in terms of distortion but overall sound impact...I can remember my previous SC-1224 felt somewhat weaker in this manner. I´m still using the UK´s Acoustic Energy Neo V2 5.1 in a room of 23 m2.

So long story short, if Pioneer had added MCACC PRO (as they totally should have, even the initial Pio pdf brochure stated it HAS MCACC PRO, a mistake?), it would have been a solid Elite family member...I do hope they will keep the fw updates coming in terms of overall improvement and user-friendliness).

Also, a metal front panel and DIMMER button on remote would be nice, too:) Well I simply didn´t want to pay several hundred more for SC-LX701 (guessing 701 and up are equipped with metal fronts and knobs).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Casting Music to the Pioneer SC LX501

:eeksurprise: I was playing around with my new Chromecast Ultra connected to my Pioneer SC LX501 AVR. The Chromecast works great through the 6.1 output in Dolby Surround. What I discovered about the LX501 is when I chose casting on the PC to send it to my TV through Chromecast it also came up that I could cast directly to my LX501 AVR thus passing the Chromecast completely. The sound is great. Another cookie for me was I looked at the display on the AVR and it said "Chromecst built-in". This is one great feature now I know I can cast to the Pioneer SC LX501 AVR with my PC or my android smart phone.:D:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was playing around with my new Chromecast Ultra connected to my Pioneer SC LX501 AVR. The Chromecast works great through the 6.1 output in Dolby Surround. What I discovered about the LX501 is when I chose casting on the PC to send it to my TV through Chromecast it also came up that I could cast directly to my LX501 AVR thus passing the Chromecast completely. The sound is great. Another cookie for me was I looked at the display on the AVR and it said "Chromecst built-in". This is one great feature now I know I can cast to the Pioneer SC LX501 AVR with my PC or my android smart phone.
Yes, the NET features as a whole are spot on in this AVR...again, I'm finding the fact that it runs extremely cool even after some heavy use remarkable. I seriously contemplated swapping it for Marantz SR-6011 for a while but changed my mind after reading many posts about hotness of their A/B amps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you watch Dolby Atmos and DTS:x discs, does the display on the LX-501 say what format it's playing in? I heard it doesn't, but the pictures on their website show it does.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 owners thread

So after thorough consideration and contemplating the odds I decided to keep the SC-LX501...the peculiar thing is that the more I´ve been playing with it the more I´ve started to get along with the sound, somehow. Well it needs to be said that the D-class amp runs absolutely cool (which is rather important thing in day-to-day use) and the amp is pretty strong; playing some Atmos/DTS HD demo in Pure Direct at cca -15dB is really within the bearable limits, not in terms of distortion but overall sound impact...I can remember my previous SC-1224 felt somewhat weaker in this manner. I´m still using the UK´s Acoustic Energy Neo V2 5.1 in a room of 23 m2.

So long story short, if Pioneer had added MCACC PRO (as they totally should have, even the initial Pio pdf brochure stated it HAS MCACC PRO, a mistake?), it would have been a solid Elite family member...I do hope they will keep the fw updates coming in terms of overall improvement and user-friendliness).

Also, a metal front panel and DIMMER button on remote would be nice, too:) Well I simply didn´t want to pay several hundred more for SC-LX701 (guessing 701 and up are equipped with metal fronts and knobs).

Glad you decided to keep it, I love the sound it produces and not having MCACC Pro isn't a big deal as calibration has always been a hit or miss - miss most of the time.

This amp just blows all other amps in its price range out of the water when it comes to sound and video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jleholeho

·
Registered
386 Posts
When you watch Dolby Atmos and DTS:x discs, does the display on the LX-501 say what format it's playing in? I heard it doesn't, but the pictures on their website show it does.

Yes it does, but only for a few seconds, you need to press STATUS once if I remember correctly, it shows your audio setting (AutoSurround/Direct...) at first and then it shows the proper incoming audio feed on the AVR´s display...the advertisement pictures displaying Dolby Atmos or whatever were being taken within those few seconds, I suppose:)

but this sucks, btw, I will totally complain to Pioneer to do something about that in upcoming FW updates...should be no big deal to force the display to hold still with displaying incoming audio on it, right? It´s always been like that before on Pio AVRs...and we´d rather see DTS:X on the display instead of damn input, wouldn´t we?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dolby Vision Pass Through

Question? Will my Pioneer SC LX-501 AVR pass through Dolby Vision from my Chromecast Ultra to HDMI on the AVR to my LG Oled 65CP TV from the AVR? I've done some research but yet to come up with a definitive answer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone know as how to connect the audio cables out from Pioneer SC-Lx501 to amps? Typical RCA cables don't plug in the out of the Pioneer SC-Lx501 receiver. It appears that I will need one end as RCA and the other a bare one (essentially will have to cut my existing RCA cable into half- which I hate to do.) Any suggestion?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone know if you can set individual crossovers for each speaker on the Pioneer SC-LX501?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dolby Vision Update

Question? Will my Pioneer SC LX-501 AVR pass through Dolby Vision from my Chromecast Ultra to HDMI on the AVR to my LG Oled 65CP TV from the AVR? I've done some research but yet to come up with a definitive answer.
I contacted Pioneer/Onkyo about Dolby Vision and the Pioneer SC-LX501 and received the following.

Hello Paul,

Right now all of our 2017 model receivers are getting the Dolby Vison update. We are aware that our 2016 models should support Dolby Vison with a firmware update. There is a very good chance this receiver will support Dolby Vison as well with a future firmware update.

Thank you
Bryan

Thank you for contacting Onkyo and Integra USA Product Support, if you need further assistance feel free to call us at:

Onkyo Product Support: 800-229-1687
Integra Product Support: 800-225-1946

·
Registered
134 Posts
HDMI out Main + Sub

Hi,

Was wondering if there is a was to pasthough the video signal untouched. Reason is; I have a Sony HW65ES 1080p Projector and a 900es Sony 4k HDR tv. If i have the receiver set to Main + Sub it out puts 1080p to the TV even when the PJ is off. I was hoping to send 4k to the TV when its on and the PJ is off and 1080p to the PJ when the TV is off and the PJ is on. Passthrough should do this but it seems it is converting the signal to 1080p to match the weakest resolution of the 2.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Anyone know if you can set individual crossovers for each speaker on the Pioneer SC-LX501?

I have an SC-LX901, it's not possible to set individual crossover.

21 - 40 of 358 Posts