AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 678 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Guys, I’m about to join the group with either the P28’s or P8’s for LCR. My question is screen. My thoughts are Stewart 130 G4 Microperf, SI pure white 1.3 AT or a Seymour screen. Anyone have any issues with these? My viewing distance will be 12’.

Thank you

I currently have the P28s for LCR and use the Stewart 130 microperf- although both will be changed with my theater remodel. Both are great. Picture on Stewart is excellent and P28s are fantastic for movies- in my 24x18 room, seem limitless on power and great dispersion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi @Gerben Van Duyl, here's another one:

Even well-braced and internally dampened speakers will exhibit some cabinet vibrations, that can produce additional output, and consequently affect the way the speaker sound. Maybe not such an issue for a speaker weighing over 100 kg, but the smaller speakers like the P5's will probably be more prone to this phenomenon. In the old days, with less developed drivers, this was not necessarily considered a bad thing by some audiophiles as it could camouflage driver deficiencies (like harmonic distortions), and depending on the resonance frequencies even add some "nice warmth" to the sound. Nowadays, having high quality drivers like in the Procella's, cabinet resonance is probably something you want to prevent as much as possible.

Chapter 6 of Procella's Handbook recommends baffle wall installation behind a AT screen, as it improves the sound by eliminating:
1) frequency response dips caused by reflections off the back and side walls (RED.: The harmful SBIR effects);
2) sound reflected back through the screen and from the back wall behind the screen (RED.: By sound absorption by the baffle wall itself); and
3) diffraction from speaker cabinet edges (RED: By being flushed into the baffle wall).

The benefit that seems to be missing here, is the elimination of the aforementioned additional (unwanted) output caused by cabinet resonances.

My question is if targeting the reduction/ elimination of the effects of P5 cabinet resonances when you are NOT using a baffle wall, could be worthwhile. For example, you could place the speaker inside small box made of / and or lined inside with acoustical (vibration and/or sound absorbing) material, and mount that as a whole on the wall and ceiling (close enough to still benefit from boundary gain).

What do you think?

PS To be clear, I am not looking for possible ways to reduce or change the vibrations of the cabinet itself, and thereby changing the acoustic design of the speaker (e.g. by ridged clamping or putting heavy weight directly onto the cabinet). What I want is to reduce or eliminate the effect of the sound emanating from the cabinet in cases where the speakers are NOT part of a baffle wall.
Hi Maikel,

"My question is if targeting the reduction/ elimination of the effects of P5 cabinet resonances when you are NOT using a baffle wall, could be worthwhile." No.

Our cabinets are designed not to have any vibrations or resonances, with internal bracing and 100% damping. We QA test every single loudspeaker with an automated measurement system to ensure sonic quality. I listen to P5 in my office, P6V in my living room and P8 in my private cinema almost every day. I don't think that trying to fix something that is not there is worth your time or effort, in fact you may create new problems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What would the difference be in a room with dimensions like 20 x 15 x 9 between P6s, P8s and P815s as LCRs from a practical or cost/benefit standpoint? Would P815s be night and day different to P6s? Dont need ear bleeding sound and its not a huge room. I think in a huge room it matters a lot more.

Similar question would be using P8s vs P6s as surrounds or heights.

I dont mind spending the cash if its going to be *much* better.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
What would the difference be in a room with dimensions like 20 x 15 x 9 between P6s, P8s and P815s as LCRs from a practical or cost/benefit standpoint? Would P815s be night and day different to P6s? Dont need ear bleeding sound and its not a huge room. I think in a huge room it matters a lot more.

Thanks.
Don't forget that between the P8s and P815s there are the P28s and P610s. P815s would be overkill in a room your size.

Cheers,

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was kind of going off what Gerben said for a room with similar dimensions. All systems suggested P815 or P610s as LCR and Im wondering if the gains are worth a much different price point? My understanding of the 610 and 815 is they play louder than their non subwoofer counterparts with less distortion. Also the P8 vs P28 is also just playing louder which I dont think I need.

Your room is 22'9"x15'9"x9', or 6.9 x 4.8 x 2.75m, nice size room!

BEST (Hollywood studio quality, THX PM3 level) would be:
LCR: 3 x P815
Surrounds: 6 x P8 or P8iW
Subs: 1 x P18, 3 x P15A
Ceiling: 6 x P8 or P8iW

VERY VERY GOOD:
LCR: 3 x P815
Surrounds: 6 x P6 or P6V
Subs: 1 x P18, 3 x P15A
Ceiling: 6 x P6 or P5 or P5iW

VERY GOOD:
LCR: 3 x P610
Surrounds: 6 x P6 or P6V
Subs: 1 x P15FP, 3 x P15A
Ceiling: 6 x P5 or P5iW

Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I was kind of going off what Gerben said for a room with similar dimensions. All systems suggested P815 or P610s as LCR and Im wondering if the gains are worth a much different price point? My understanding of the 610 and 815 is they play louder than their non subwoofer counterparts with less distortion. Also the P8 vs P28 is also just playing louder which I dont think I need.

I have P8s for LCR which are incredible but I think the P610 with the ability to play down to 60Hz would be nice. P815 are not overkill if you want to set your LCR as full range. The more capable your speakers the lower overall distortion of your system. I have four sealed JTR 18” subs (7 total 18” woofers) and some would say it’s overkill until they watch a movie and hear incredible low distortion extremely powerful bass that can handle any soundtrack with zero signs of distress.

Having said that, P8 LCR plus enough subwoofers can easily be a reference quality system in your room.

My room is 23.5 long by 14’ wide by 9.5’ tall and my P8 LCR plus ten P5/P5iw have never let me down and sound incredible.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Thanks.
Hi Srubin,

You room measures 20 x 15 x 9 or 6m x 4.6m x 2.7m. Reading your post and replies, I would recommend the following system for you, based on audio quality, not on 'more SPL', with the key comment you make being "Don't need ear bleeding sound"

VERY GOOD:
LCR: 3 x P610
Surrounds: 6 x P6 or P6V, or P5/P5V/P5iW
Main Subs: 1 x V18, P18, or P15FP (how much bass do you want?)
Balancing subs: 3 x P15A

Also Very Good, Just Not Full Range:
LCR: 3 x P8
Surrounds: 6 x P6 or P6V, or P5/P5V/P5iW
Main Subs: 1 x V18, P18, or P15FP
Balancing subs: 3 x P15A

FYI, the P8 and the P610 have the same SPL, as do the P28 and the P815 have the same SPL, just that the P8 and the P28 are not full range. So for your room the P8 and the P610 are the choices for LCR, as you are not looking for over-the-top SPL. I can't give you a final recommendation, as I love the P8 (8" driver for mid bass, fantastic!) and I love the P610 (full-range and so natural and balanced), so it would be like choosing a favourite between my children. From an engineering point of view I should recommend the P610 (full-range is always better), and from a sales point of view I should recommend the P610 as it is a bit more expensive, but the P8 is just lovely as well... ugh, choices!

As I am typing away: Yes they all sound the same, as we design our loudspeakers according to our Identical Voices(TM) principle, which means that the P6 and the P8 (and all other models) sound the same at the same SPL and the same distance. The P8 can produce THX reference level at 4m, the P610 can produce THX reference level at 4m but full range. You will be sitting at approx 4m so you will experience THX reference level if you turn it up. The back row may not experience full THX, but very close to it.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

Remember that the P610 is more complex than the P8 as, I believe, it requires a separate amp for the 10” bass module that will have to be integrated with the P6 speaker.... and when Gerben is stating full range vs not full range he is referring only to the LCR. If you add proper subwoofers the P8 system will definitely be full range.

Both P8 and P610 will sound incredible mounted in a baffle wall (as they are designed for this) and in a room with proper dimensions and acoustic treatments.

If you will not mount in a baffle wall I would recommend the P610.

Reactions: Gerben Van Duyl

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I think the other consideration is what exactly is meant by "room size".

If you plan on having a baffle wall then the room size is obviously reduced.

My acoustic shell is 30' long but I lose 3' at the front for the baffle wall and 3' at the rear for the equipment room, so a final room size of 24'.

Cheers,

·
Registered
992 Posts
Regarding distortion, is that not typically a function of SPL? So in a room where a P610 is "enough" to achieve reference level, wouldn't a P815 do that with less distortion?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I listen to P5 in my office, P6V in my living room and P8 in my private cinema almost every day. I don't think that trying to fix something that is not there is worth your time or effort, in fact you may create new problems.
Hey Gerben! I was thinking of listening to P5 in my office as well. How many P5 do you have in your office? How do you connect them to your PC? Any chance of a picture or description on how they are located in comparison to your monitors? I've been racking my brain trying to think of a way to use one or two P5s for my PC speakers, but the dimensions almost seem prohibitive for space constraints around my monitors. I am curious if you may possibly have a similar setup and have solved the problem I have. Also curious about the connectivity from your PC to the P5s.

If anyone else has a setup like that, I would love to hear/see pics from you as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Gerben! I was thinking of listening to P5 in my office as well. How many P5 do you have in your office? How do you connect them to your PC? Any chance of a picture or description on how they are located in comparison to your monitors? I've been racking my brain trying to think of a way to use one or two P5s for my PC speakers, but the dimensions almost seem prohibitive for space constraints around my monitors. I am curious if you may possibly have a similar setup and have solved the problem I have. Also curious about the connectivity from your PC to the P5s.

If anyone else has a setup like that, I would love to hear/see pics from you as well.

Thanks!
Hi, I use a simple Yamaha AV receiver so I can play in 2.1 with a P15A, from my PC it is a USB3.0 output to a D/A converter, from there RCA analog output into the AV receiver, which does the bass management. Sounds brilliant! It really is studio quality audio and plenty loud as I only sit 1m away.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi, I use a simple Yamaha AV receiver so I can play in 2.1 with a P15A, from my PC it is a USB3.0 output to a D/A converter, from there RCA analog output into the AV receiver, which does the bass management. Sounds brilliant! It really is studio quality audio and plenty loud as I only sit 1m away.
Thanks Gerben! How do you place your speakers and computer monitors together? Looking for ideas since my P5s and monitors are so big.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey, new here.

Been looking at a used set of P6 for LCR.
These will be used in a 5.2 setup, in my living room.
I do listen to music quite alot, and been thinking if I'll be missing some mid base with these P6 in stereo 2.2?
They will be paired with 2 Surrounds of MK SS150, and 2 home build subwoofers 15" which should be more or less equal to the earthquake supernova 15.

What is your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey, new here.

Been looking at a used set of P6 for LCR.
These will be used in a 5.2 setup, in my living room.
I do listen to music quite alot, and been thinking if I'll be missing some mid base with these P6 in stereo 2.2?
They will be paired with 2 Surrounds of MK SS150, and 2 home build subwoofers 15" which should be more or less equal to the earthquake supernova 15.
What is your thoughts on this?
Hi, sorry for delayed reply, it's been different out there, we are just getting back to normal here at the office.

I listen to P6V every day in my living room, in 2.1 with a P15A. Absolutely perfect! No lack of mid-bass at all, in fact, nice and dynamic, with studio quality clarity and detail. We listen to TV, movies and music on that system. I have it on for 16 hours per day, on days we are at home. Depending on your set-up your XO for bass management will be in the 70~100Hz range, most likely 80Hz. You will not regret getting them!

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I've just finished installing four of the small but mighty Procella P5 as Atmos tops.

Installing them into the baffle ceiling was quite a challenge.

Here's the rears -

And the fronts -

And the rears again with covers in place -

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's very neat! Do you have a build thread for the rest of your room?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Peter.
Thanks for the heads up on the thread. The room looks fantastic!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I've just finished installing four of the small but mighty Procella P5 as Atmos tops.

Installing them into the baffle ceiling was quite a challenge.

Here's the rears -

And the fronts -

And the rears again with covers in place -

Cheers,

I am also using the P5 iw (in-wall) for my six Atmos ceiling speakers and two rears. Regular P5 for side surrounds.

621 - 640 of 678 Posts