AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 678 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have indeed on a couple of occasions for Trinnov training, the Trinnov/dts Pro X launch and taken some clients. We had a brief chat at one event, can't remember exactly which. It's a very fun facility, definitely recommended for any UK dealers and anyone who is interested in Procella for their own home cinema system.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I've been thinking about changing my speakers, currently running a 7.2 setup consisting of;

XTZ Cinema Series M8's LCR'S & XTZ Cinema Series M6's as side and rear surrounds, as these are all on wall speakers, i'd ideally like to replace with on wall speakers. I was initially drawn to the ATC HTS On Wall Speakers http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/hts-on-wall/hts40/ As i have been really impressed with their active speakers which are highly regarded.

The XTZ's are primarily a cinema speaker, however, more recently i have been doing a lot more music (2 channel) listening and ideally want a speaker
that is going to be very good with music as well as movies. Unfortunately as it's my front room and space is at a premium, i can't really accommodate
a pair of large Active floor standers purely for music.

I have also been recommended to look at Procella, and in particular the P8 as LCR as the ATC HTS might not be much of an improvement over my current XTZ M8's.

I do however have a couple of concerns;

My room isn't big and is an awkward shape ( a bit like an inverted L) due to being a top floor apartment with sloping wall to ceiling down the right hand side which only gives me 1.2m of vertical wall before it has a 45 degree slope up to the ceiling 5m front wall 5m front to back, back wall is just over 3.5m but is mainly double french doors to a balcony with limited wall space either side of the french doors.

MLP is 3m but is possible to move it back slightly but not really able to move it further forward due to other furniture in the room (it is my living room)

My main concern is that the P8 will be too big for the space but not sure if i want to step down to the P6 for LCR, but would consider them or something else for the remaining side and rear surrounds.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Your XTZ's look like pretty serious speakers. I can't comment on how the Procella's may compare, but I think it's safe to say that the P8 is definitely not too big for your space. You should also check out the P5 for surrounds.

Cheers,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your XTZ's look like pretty serious speakers. I can't comment on how the Procella's may compare, but I think it's safe to say that the P8 is definitely not too big for your space. You should also check out the P5 for surrounds.

Cheers,
Thanks very much, the XTZ's are great speakers, i'm hoping the Procella's will be better but especially for music. Good call for the P5's for surrounds too, they would certainly be a good fit :)

·
Registered
58 Posts

Cheers,
Thanks very much, the XTZ's are great speakers, i'm hoping the Procella's will be better but especially for music. Good call for the P5's for surrounds too, they would certainly be a good fit :)
Very close to pulling the trigger on P8's LCR & 4 x P5V for Side & Rear Surrounds :)

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
How is the SQ of these speakers? They have a compression driver so do they sound harsh are bright in any way?
Not harsh or bright at all. I spent about three years auditioning speakers before I chose Procella, and one thing I learnt was that dome tweeters struggle at high volumes. The compression drivers in the Procella's stay very clean even when playing extremely loud.

Cheers,

·
Registered
225 Posts
How is the SQ of these speakers? They have a compression driver so do they sound harsh are bright in any way?
Not harsh or bright at all. I spent about three years auditioning speakers before I chose Procella, and one thing I learnt was that dome tweeters struggle at high volumes. The compression drivers in the Procella's stay very clean even when playing extremely loud.

Cheers,
Thank you for the feedback!

What other brands did you audition? There is more then just procella who is using compression drivers. Just to name one....JBL synthesis. What made you choose procella?

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
It would be easier to list those that I didn't audition :)

Obviously all the internet direct brands - except Seaton which I was able to hear in Atlanta during CEDIA 2010. Also never got to hear Danley.

Other than that I covered pretty much every major brand and technology that was available during 2009-2011.

Why did I choose Procella - sound, form factor and the fact that Gerben, the owner of Procella, lives about a mile from me in Sydney.

Cheers,

·
Registered
225 Posts
It would be easier to list those that I didn't audition /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Obviously all the internet direct brands - except Seaton which I was able to hear in Atlanta during CEDIA 2010. Also never got to hear Danley.

Other than that I covered pretty much every major brand and technology that was available during 2009-2011.

Why did I choose Procella - sound, form factor and the fact that Gerben, the owner of Procella, lives about a mile from me in Sydney.

Cheers,
That makes sense!

Is it import to have procella amplifiers? Is it correct that those amps have tuning files for procella speakers? I have a Lyngdorf processor and Lyngdorf powers amps for now.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I use Xilica for DSP as my Procella amps don't have it on board.

Any high quality amp would be suitable.

I'm very happy with the Procella amps - quiet, tons of power and rock solid for about 7 years now.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Adding to Peter M's response to this. The sound is not bright at all....highly detailed but not bright or harsh in the slightest. I am very sensitive to bright speakers and the Procellas perform beautifully detailed and smooth, even during high SPL passages.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Adding to Peter M's response to this. The sound is not bright at all....highly detailed but not bright or harsh in the slightest. I am very sensitive to bright speakers and the Procellas perform beautifully detailed and smooth, even during high SPL passages.
That’s why I’m asking is. I’m also quite sensitive for bright speakers. I had the latest series of MK sound speakers and for me personally they sound bright. A lot of people love them but they were not my cup of tea. So just looking for a good cinema speaker that is available in different form factors like inwall, onwall etc

·
Registered
885 Posts
That’s why I’m asking is. I’m also quite sensitive for bright speakers. I had the latest series of MK sound speakers and for me personally they sound bright. A lot of people love them but they were not my cup of tea. So just looking for a good cinema speaker that is available in different form factors like inwall, onwall etc
I love my Procella Speakers. I don't find them bright at all. In fact, I did a lot of demoing and I ran into a few brands that I felt were bright. For me, Procella was one of the best I demoed. For the price, performance and form factor, they were a clear winner. I would recommend demoing for yourself if you are able.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Has anyone heard the Cinema line of theirs?

I’m interested in the C28 and C212 for a large room with openings leading to other parts of the house.

Basically I’m wanting some shallow cabinets that can be used on either side of the flat panel which I hate doing after owning a theater with an AT screen but it is what it is in the living room set-up.

I’m trying to avoid needing a sub for regular TV programming and casual music so would skip straight past all the HT line being that they all fall short in the lower FR. The P610 would be way to odd looking as a built-in speaker on display in a living room.

Bests
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
150 Posts

I’m interested in the C28 and C212 for a large room with openings leading to other parts of the house.

Basically I’m wanting some shallow cabinets that can be used on either side of the flat panel which I hate doing after owning a theater with an AT screen but it is what it is in the living room set-up.

I’m trying to avoid needing a sub for regular TV programming and casual music so would skip straight past all the HT line being that they all fall short in the lower FR. The P610 would be way to odd looking as a built-in speaker on display in a living room.

Bests
Alex
Very loud and powerful, just a touch less refined than our home cinema/studio line of loudspeakers. The C212 is a large cabinet, you have space for those? They would have to be special order from our factory in Sweden, we do not keep stock in USA of those. Please email us your room drawings on [email protected], thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts

P28 doesn't go low enough for you ? A pair of these would be pretty awesome for regular TV.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
P28 doesn't go low enough for you ? A pair of these would be pretty awesome for regular TV.

Cheers,

It’s -3dB point is 74Hz so it’s basically no different than surrounds I use in my theater room, actually it’s even higher than the pro drivers in my surrounds I think.

The C28 is 60hz and the C212 is 40Hz so that’s quite the difference.

Now that he said they aren’t as refined I’m second guessing spending that kind of coin on something like this though. It’s not like I can demo them or send them back being that they are special order.

I am wanting two speakers minimum that I can place on either side of an 80”+ flat panel in my living room into a built in media center like wall/cabinet design. The wall that this is on is 23’ so there is ample space to build a very nice media center type of cabinet.

I sent Chuck an email and he sent me the details for the “Above Screen” models. Awaiting his next reply.

Bests
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

641 - 660 of 678 Posts