AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2834 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Official R5000-HD Technical Status Discussion

This is the place to go for the discussion of R5000-HD technical information, user tips and the latest news concerning bugs, fixes and updates. For downloads and other support resources (including e-mail technical support), please goto www.r5000-hd.com

·
Registered
301 Posts
R,

The link doesn't work. I think you need to remove the last period.

Also, Do these buffer stats numbers appear to indicate normal operation?

[Recording stream for 1 hour, 15 min]:

20 ms= 72190

Also, this morning I set OTR for one hour, but it continued for one and a half hours and kept going.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarl
R,

20 ms= 72190

Also, this morning I set OTR for one hour, but it continued for one and a half hours and kept going.

Thanks. The period is gone from the link. The buffer stats are generally OK except I would like to see less on the

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarl
R,

20 ms= 72190

dcarl

Which satellite provider do you use and what model STB did you have modified?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've received a 6000 with R5000-HD modification. Right now my PC is out of the rack for upgrades so the USB cable won't reach to the 6000. I'll post when I've tried it.

Mark

·
Registered
301 Posts
The laptop I've been using with the R5000 recorder has been fairly good.

What a PITA it is use this laptop all the time, then reconnect the USB drive to the 1 Ghz HTPC for playback to the projector...

SO I just ordered a new HTPC with all the trimmings. I'll post back after it arrives and is up and running with the R5000 recorder installed in it.

I'm pretty sure the R5000 will work perfectly with it.

I'll also end up with something around 720 gigs of storage space too.

Can't wait.

[I'll bet some of you guys have much more than even that]

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by bicarus2004
Has anyone received a Dish 6000 unit with the new R5000-HD modification?

Yes.

My VIA C3 1200 MHZ 512 MB may not be enough CPU power.

Getting empty recordings and and a much worse
Will try tweaks; if no go, new motherboard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Problem with VIA C3 was not solved.

It was a VIA C3 1.2 GHz, 64 MB L2, in a VIA MII12000, 512 MB PC2100 RAM.

It's now a Intel Pentium M, 1.7 GHz, 1 MB L2, 512 MB PC2100 RAM and works well.

Problem was probably due to low L2 cache size (a Pentium 3 is 256 KB or 512 KB) but

may be due to BIOS, chip set hardware/software, or IRQ overloading.

Noticed high page fault rate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I got my new Dell Pc yesterday and loaded it with a new Myhd card and the R5000 program.

Everything is almost perfect now. [I suspect the USB2 adapter was buggy in the laptop I was using].

Anyway,

-Buffer stats are much better.

-No lost data.

-MyHD is handling the files much easier/better than the Hipix.

BUT, the OTR record is still weird, it counts down to the specified 60 minutes, then starts over, counting down from 71,581.

I like the fact the DTC-100 can output to a composite video and to the USB2 output simultaneously.

How does one implement hibernate and wake with this system [and XP Pro]? Zap2it?

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
I have the R5000-HD mod on a Dish 6000. Since I have a fairly noisy PC in my bedroom, I'd like to be able to put the system in Hibernate or Standby mode. But, the system doesn't awaken to do the recording. Are we missing something?

Also, the remote control app keeps telling me IR codes need to be recorded, and the "Remote Address" is grayed out and stuck on "1." My 6000 is on "7." Does this matter? Should I change the remote to 1? The grayed out drop down box seems to indicate I should be able to change the address from within the app. Is this not implemented yet?

Another question. In the main R5000-HD window, under "IR Control," there are two radio buttons, "REC" and "STOP." The "Enable" button is grayed out and "Waiting for Code..." is in the box at the bottom. What is this section for? As I write, the VCR timer function that I set in the 6000 failed to trigger. Is this because I don't have the code set properly?

I appreciate the simplicity of this device and the interface, but there needs to be thorough documentation with it. There are those of us out here who would be happy to assist with this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
R5000-HD Version 1.3 Available for Download

It is recommended that all users download and upgrade to this version. If the R5000-HD is already installed on your system, the self-installer will simply update those files that are out of date. All configuration settings will remain unchanged.

For information on changes/fixes, please read the release notes here.

The version 1.3 installer is available here.

-R

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Clark
I have the R5000-HD mod on a Dish 6000. Since I have a fairly noisy PC in my bedroom, I'd like to be able to put the system in Hibernate or Standby mode. But, the system doesn't awaken to do the recording. Are we missing something?

No you are not. It is not designed to be able to wake the system from hibernation/stby. You have to leave your PC running as long as you have recordings queued.

Quote:
Also, the remote control app keeps telling me IR codes need to be recorded, and the "Remote Address" is grayed out and stuck on "1." My 6000 is on "7." Does this matter? Should I change the remote to 1? The grayed out drop down box seems to indicate I should be able to change the address from within the app. Is this not implemented yet??

For Dish 6K boxes it uses the universal address, so the remote should work with your box no matter what you change its address to. In the event that the firmware in your 6000 box doesn't support the universal address, go into the R5000-HD preferences and select "BELL6000" as your STB type. Then you will see the address pull-down become active (BELL6000 boxes are pretty much identical to the DISH6K but for some reason doesn't support the univ. address). Note: make sure to keep your service as "Echostar" since it sets variables for properly remuxing their streams. The "STB Type" mainly controls how the R5000-HD interfaces with your STB and doesn't affect recrodings.

Quote:
Another question. In the main R5000-HD window, under "IR Control," there are two radio buttons, "REC" and "STOP." The "Enable" button is grayed out and "Waiting for Code..." is in the box at the bottom. What is this section for? As I write, the VCR timer function that I set in the 6000 failed to trigger. Is this because I don't have the code set properly

Right. You have to "capture" the codes first. Then once you have the 2 samples (RECord & STOP) the enable checkbox will become active. To do this with the 6K, go into the menu and navigate to VCR setup. You have to enter a code first (use anything, like "100"). Then press the button to test it. Before you do, on the R5000-HD, set the radio button sample type for "REC" and press the capture button (labeled "REC"). You will see "Waiting for sample..." appear in the messsage box. Now let the STB initiate the VCR code test. It will first send a record code. Once that sample is captured (message box = "Sample Captured..."), activate the "STOP" radio button and press the capture button again and wait for the 6K to send a STOP code. The 6K gives you plenty of time. Now you will have the 2 samples captured. To test that you got them OK, enable the checkbox on the R5000-HD and initiate the test again on from the 6K. The R5000 should respond and start recording, then stop as commanded by the STB (the recrording will error out because there is no signal, but just delete any files created).

Quote:
I appreciate the simplicity of this device and the interface, but there needs to be thorough documentation with it. There are those of us out here who would be happy to assist with this.

You are correct and we apologize for not having it ready by the time you (and others) received your units. It was targeted to be on-line at the begining of the week and should be available this coming week of 10/3.

-R

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
R5000,

Why oh why did you use the crappy mini USB connector on the Dish 6000 upgrade? The pins on this connector are so small they are almost guaranteed to break with repeated insertions (like the small firewire connectors do). The hole you cut in the back of the 6000 could have easily accomodated a type B USB connector.

I haven't opened up the box to see if there is an obvious reason to use the mini connector over the type B one.

Mark

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally posted by mdv
R5000,

Why oh why did you use the crappy mini USB connector on the Dish 6000 upgrade? The pins on this connector are so small they are almost guaranteed to break with repeated insertions (like the small firewire connectors do). The hole you cut in the back of the 6000 could have easily accomodated a type B USB connector.

I haven't opened up the box to see if there is an obvious reason to use the mini connector over the type B one.

Mark

The connector is rated at 5000 insertions min. to hold its contact resistance spec. Maybe you've heard something about these we don't about? The reason for using a small connector is not evident when looking at just the Dish6K alone.

-R

·
Registered
77 Posts
After all the interest prior to this product becoming available, there appears to be very little feedback and discussion here either pro or con.

Is the product actually shipping?

If it is, how well does it work?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Is there a recomendation for which DirecTV receiver to get these days? Is one of the preferrable over the others?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by bicarus2004
After all the interest prior to this product becoming available, there appears to be very little feedback and discussion here either pro or con.

Is the product actually shipping?

If it is, how well does it work?

It is shipping and it works well with Dish 6000.

The only intermittent problem I have is apes ring buffer overflows, and this is mostly on Showtime-HD.

This problem is in work by Nextcom.

--

Dish 6000, Pentium-M 1.7 GHz, 512M, MyHD 120, WinXP SP2.

1 - 20 of 2834 Posts