AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figured that since there seemed to be an "Official..." thread for everything else, that this game was just as deserving. That and also here is the latest trailer for the game:

Second Coming:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35606.html

Activities Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34873.html

ULTOR:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33600.html

For some reason the embedding is not working, however on Game Trailers site, you can watch the videos in either SD or HD.

Release Date: October 14, 2008

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
So its basically....Saints Row Again. Join the Saints and re-take the streets?

Honestly I just finally finished Saints Row and enjoyed it..well not the ending..but the rest of the game, to be truthful, this sequil looks like bad....bad as in "crap". The framerate was bad, the graphics looked...really quite bad....and the story looks...bad.

Good diologue...but just...bad.

SR had that "first in the door" thing going for it, 3D world on a next-gen system. But this game doesn't look like its offering much up, and to be honest playing as the "angry gang-banger who came out of a coma to save the day" seems more than a little bit retarded.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I thought the story, dialogue, and characters in SR1 were the worst I have ever seen in videogames... not in a "jill sandwich" way, but just crude, offensive, stereotypical, no humor, trying to be "ghetto", awful awful awful. Really, it was like... what would happen if you got a bunch of Midwesterners trying to write dialogue trying to be "street"? This. Because that is what it was. Volition is based in suburban Illinois.

And yea, it doesn't look like they hired a professional to help them with SR2, so MOTS...

I will be skipping this, but I do think it will find an audience from people who wanted more "wacky" than GTA4 provided.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/14190962

I thought the story, dialogue, and characters in SR1 were the worst I have ever seen in videogames... not in a "jill sandwich" way, but just crude, offensive, stereotypical, no humor, trying to be "ghetto", awful awful awful. Really, it was like... what would happen if you got a bunch of Midwesterners trying to write dialogue trying to be "street"? This. Because that is what it was. Volition is based in suburban Illinois.

Wouldn't know...I'm a white guy in suburbia...my last interface with "street culture" was buying Straight Outta Compton. Nuff said.

While the characters and story were silly, there was a certain professionalism that came with SR1...mainly the voice acting. Mark Wahlberg, David Keith, and the others...sure it was sooooo cliched'..but at the same time....the asian guy wasn't played by a white guy "speaking engrish", and the black guy wasn't just some ebonics-spouting thug, he was an intelligent, articulate guy. That, for some odd reason, gave the game a degree of polish that many other games are lacking.

.......and yeah they are written by white guys from Illinois because real gang-bangers would just hold up the development guys and steal their wallets and computers

Quote:
I will be skipping this, but I do think it will find an audience from people who wanted more "wacky" than GTA4 provided.

Like Saints Row, when its $19.99..I'll jump in, unless it gets REALLY badly reviewed.

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
well, I expected such hatred. Saints Row is much more than just a videogame. It's a rediculous ride in the ghetto and just plain fun. The controls are on point, the driving is fun and easy, and the missions are hilarious and challenging. Saints Row has rediculous characters? Well, no kidding. That's what the game is: over the top. If you were expecting deep characters you bought the wrong game. But it has some really funny moments and who can forget that guy in the club who says "Get out!", your character is standing there like wtf? The guy says "Not you" to you, then a scantily clad girl crawls out from under the table wiping her mouth! I was roaring and that's what this game is: fun

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
To be fair, the driving model in the game sucks and the framerate hovers somewhere around 24fps.

But hey I still had great fun with it once I got into it!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I'll probably pick this game up. I enjoyed the first (shocking to hear that it's crude and there's no mention of the GTA series and it's history of crudeness) and am guessing I'll enjoy this one.

I'll wait for a couple of reviews, demo, and then price drop and add it to my collection.

-JR

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket /forum/post/14193169

I'll probably pick this game up. I enjoyed the first (shocking to hear that it's crude and there's no mention of the GTA series and it's history of crudeness) and am guessing I'll enjoy this one.

I am not going to offend some classic movie by comparing it to Grand Theft Auto, but Saints Row in terms of tone is like the Malibu's Most Wanted of videogames. It was terrible, I cringed virtually every time the characters were moving their mouths.

I had fun in spite of the characters and story, not because of it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'll buy this game just because of the car collecting and maintenance (I only roll in Saints purple ya dig?), sprinkled with some insurance claim injury fun, mayhem fun, robberies, etc. along with the better weapons and funner aspect of spraying down gangbangers in the wrong color at the wrong time 'in my hood'. Yep, I play video games for fun sh!t like this. If I want serious, I turn the game off, and play real life.

Can't wait for some TRUE free roam.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lots of hate in this thread.

I am looking forward to SR2 - as I expected more from GTA4 - and while not disappointed in GTA this time around, I didn't put as much time into 4 as I have previous titles...oh well.

Still struggling through SR1 - 10x harder than any GTA game.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work /forum/post/14442778

first day pickup for me. My gang is going to be dressed up as hot dogs

Glad I am not the only one that is looking forward to this, everyone must be busy playing Madden or something!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I liked the first one good enough. Until it killed by 360 that is. I'll certainly rent the 2nd.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'll be getting this the first day! I really enjoyed the first one. I think controls are extremely important and can make or break a game and the first one got it right.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
shouldn't this be "UN"official 'til the game is out...

I just hope the online is working this time. the 1st was fun except for the constant lag.

will def be doing the co-op insurance or whatever it is game with people.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts