AVS Forum banner
2381 - 2400 of 10157 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed /forum/post/15292568

Funk, you are actually responsible for me getting on the HT3 bandwagon, thanks for the additional info, your experiment sounds very interesting - please keep us posted.

I thought your name looked familiar... Long time no see, been taking a break from the forums?

Welcome back.

It shouldn't be too much longer now *fingers crossed* I hope.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey /forum/post/15292755

It shouldn't be too much longer now *fingers crossed* I hope.

If you keep this up, I'm gonna have a set of HT3's before you do.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not unless you pulled the trigger on the HT3s from Audiogon, because somebody did: "sale pending"...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey /forum/post/15296525

Not unless you pulled the trigger on the HT3s from Audiogon, because somebody did: "sale pending"...

I know Jim is madly assembling finished HT3's, and I know yours is near the top of the list. The new crossover seems to have worked out. So now it's just a question of whether that overloaded sleigh can get off the ground.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed /forum/post/15289021

Apologies if this question has been asked before but I assume technology keeps changing at a pace faster than my old bones can handle so I would ask anyway:

What would be a good amp/receiver/integrated setup for 5.1 or 7.1 setup with HT3s as fronts - my main criteria is good stereo performance, hdmi support, pcm support and ability to decode dolby, turhd, dts and all that jazz from a pcm signal primarily from my ps3 (blurays, cd, mp3 media, music dvds etc.)

Budget is definitely under 2K but if you have had the opportunity to have this conversation with Jim, he would tell you (and I have experienced this first hand) that a couple hundred dollar rig would be able to get more than 90% out of HT3 sperakers - so I would appreciate if your advice is not too fixated on the 2K budget but most bang for the buck given my criteria. Really appreciate the help I have gotten from you folks over the years. Thanks in advance.

You need serious power for the HT3's. If you settle for a 5 or 7 channel amp with 150 wpc, then that will dissapoint you. I highly recommend 250 watts minimum for each HT3. If you add a center, then the same or more. Sides and back would be tbd w/o knowing what speakers they would be.

Try Wyred4Sound amps. They will absolutely sound better than any Emotiva amp. Been there, done that. Go used on Audiogon and you might get closer to your budget for the amps - no processor for that budget. Don't be lulled by the D Sonic amps, they are built like the Wyreds.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I heard from the man himself today, mine will be shipping very soon.

Dennis- I sent you an email asking about bi-amping the HT3 a couple of days ago, would you take a second to share your thoughts here? I am sure there are others who have considered it. I just read most of this article and it appears that I am actually not planning on bi-amping after all, but rather bi-wiring in a fashion. Now I am confused, I have no intention of removing the low end crossover, but want to take advantage of the two extra channels on my Halo A51 that would otherwise be going unused in a 3.0 set-up. If anyone has any experience with bi-amping/bi-wiring their Salks please let me know, I really don't want to damage my speakers, or short out my amp.

PAD- have you experimented any (I know at one point you had planned on it) with bi=amp, bi-wire, dual amp/bi-wire?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Never heard any difference bi-wiring. Bi amping with different amps will often be disappointing. I'm using Blue Jeans 4s11 now if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hey PAD (Big Red Machine),

You being the "ULTIMATE Cables/Powercords Junkie" are now using Blue Jeans cables????

Actually... after all the merry go round, I have ditched all my expensive power cords and I am now using the stock power cords that come with my CD player and amplifier.

barry

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD /forum/post/15297637

Never heard any difference bi-wiring. Bi amping with different amps will often be disappointing. I'm using Blue Jeans 4s11 now if that tells you anything.

I'm with the PAD man on this. Don't mess around with biamping or biwiring. Just run the whole shebang with the best amp you can afford. Simple is good.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD /forum/post/15297557

You need serious power for the HT3's. If you settle for a 5 or 7 channel amp with 150 wpc, then that will dissapoint you. I highly recommend 250 watts minimum for each HT3. If you add a center, then the same or more. Sides and back would be tbd w/o knowing what speakers they would be.

Try Wyred4Sound amps. They will absolutely sound better than any Emotiva amp. Been there, done that. Go used on Audiogon and you might get closer to your budget for the amps - no processor for that budget. Don't be lulled by the D Sonic amps, they are built like the Wyreds.

HT2 for rears, HTC for center channel.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD /forum/post/15297637

I've used 4S11 cables. They're not BlueJeans, they're Canare starquad cables and very good.

Honestly, I cannot tell the difference between them and the Analysis Plus "uber whatevers" I have.

I'm a big believer in DIY cables, you can get the Canare stuff for like 50 cents a foot in bulk from the right retailer.

I also like Liberty cables, 5 9's OFC and lots of strands.

Use Cardas silver solder and solid spade connectors.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy /forum/post/15297474

I know Jim is madly assembling finished HT3's, and I know yours is near the top of the list. The new crossover seems to have worked out. So now it's just a question of whether that overloaded sleigh can get off the ground.

That's excellent to hear the new woofers did show up!

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD /forum/post/15297557

I think in Ahmed's case, with 2k budget for pre-pro and amp, there isn't a lot of options that can provide 250 watts. A good alternative could be the Pioneer SC-07, since it uses the same ICEPower technology as the Wyred4Sound, and with 140 watt 7 channel, it could be set to biamp allowing 4 channels to L/R, or about 280 watts per main speaker.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmonkey /forum/post/15297574

I heard from the man himself today, mine will be shipping very soon.

Dennis- I sent you an email asking about bi-amping the HT3 a couple of days ago, would you take a second to share your thoughts here? I am sure there are others who have considered it. I just read most of this article and it appears that I am actually not planning on bi-amping after all, but rather bi-wiring in a fashion. Now I am confused, I have no intention of removing the low end crossover, but want to take advantage of the two extra channels on my Halo A51 that would otherwise be going unused in a 3.0 set-up. If anyone has any experience with bi-amping/bi-wiring their Salks please let me know, I really don't want to damage my speakers, or short out my amp.

PAD- have you experimented any (I know at one point you had planned on it) with bi=amp, bi-wire, dual amp/bi-wire?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

The article you quoted is talking about active crossover multi-amping (you can extrapolate the diagram to have a separate filter to separate amps to every driver). Jim offers such an upgrade, requiring 6 amps for the HT3.

I thought about using a Behringer DCX2496 to do exactly what the link diagrams. After talking to Jim, with the quality of the crossovers that he and Dennis has put together, there really isn't a need for it. Jim supported the idea of passive bi-amping, where you split the full signal as is, go into separate amps, and send one amp to the tweeter/mid and the other to woofer. Then, let the passive crossovers that Dennis designed do their work. The point isn't to make the speaker sound "better" (such as using tube amps for the tweeters, but solid state for mid/woofer) since I don't have experience there; it's simply to ensure there is enough power to the speakers to keep the amp from clipping/excessive distorting.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuang /forum/post/15298911

Greg,

The article you quoted is talking about active crossover multi-amping (you can extrapolate the diagram to have a separate filter to separate amps to every driver). Jim offers such an upgrade, requiring 6 amps for the HT3.

I thought about using a Behringer DCX2496 to do exactly what the link diagrams. After talking to Jim, with the quality of the crossovers that he and Dennis has put together, there really isn't a need for it. Jim supported the idea of passive bi-amping, where you split the full signal as is, go into separate amps, and send one amp to the tweeter/mid and the other to woofer. Then, let the passive crossovers that Dennis designed do their work. The point isn't to make the speaker sound "better" (such as using tube amps for the tweeters, but solid state for mid/woofer) since I don't have experience there; it's simply to ensure there is enough power to the speakers to keep the amp from clipping/excessive distorting.

Thanks jhuang, passive bi-amping (with seperate channels of the same amp) is what I am looking at, I have no interest in anything more complex than that. Just wanted to see if I could take advantage of the extra wattage before I get some surrounds, and it sounds like there should be no problem (and perhaps no benefit either).

I will be using 2 runs of Canare "star-quad" 4S11 (from bluejeans) per speaker to try this out. The raw wire arrived a couple of days ago (Bluejeans cable is very nice to do business with, incidentally). Now I am just waiting on the jacket and heatshrink to show up (from Parts Express) that I ordered on the same day as the cable.

I am most certainly a subscriber to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid!) Along those lines I will be using bare wire connections as well, I think it is a bit silly to spend another $20-$1000 on spades or bananas when a direct connection provides one less possibility to develop any problems.

If I don't notice any improvement being bi-wired / passive bi-amped I will have a pair of DIM (did it myself) 7 or 9-foot m0nk3y vines™ for sale!

...and thanks for the rest of the feedback, guys. I am confident I won't blow anything up now

-Funk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Funk,

Good luck on your HT3! Hopefully, mine is not too far behind yours. I plan on bi-amping mine as well (using home built cables from bluejean's like yours).

·
Registered
221 Posts
I read up a bit on SC-07 and then found out about Pioneer SC-09 - Wow! Looks like a perfect match, though a bit expensive for my initial budget. This post by fello member in SC-09 owners thread does give me hope, what do you guys think he is talking about? (I am going to PM him as well but just wondering if any of you think this is available for under 3K?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE /forum/post/13825442

In a nutshell. However high efficiency speakers when fed to a beast of an amp do sound better. The fact I can get the SC-09 for under 3k is what makes it very tempting.

Thanks again for the input guys.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed /forum/post/15302998

I read up a bit on SC-07 and then found out about Pioneer SC-09 - Wow! Looks like a perfect match, though a bit expensive for my initial budget. This post by fello member in SC-09 owners thread does give me hope, what do you guys think he is talking about?

In a nutshell. However high efficiency speakers when fed to a beast of an amp do sound better. The fact I can get the SC-09 for under 3k is what makes it very tempting.

Ahmed, both the SC-07 and SC-09 use Class D amps (designed by B&O called ICEPower), and they are considered more efficient than Class A or A/B. What that means is for a given power output, they will draw less power from the wall. This means a lower energy bill, AND much less heat.

If you can get the SC-09 for under 3K, I'd think that's a great deal. But, still look into an SC-07; they're supposed to be

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuang /forum/post/15303648

Ahmed, both the SC-07 and SC-09 use Class D amps (designed by B&O called ICEPower), and they are considered more efficient than Class A or A/B. What that means is for a given power output, they will draw less power from the wall. This means a lower energy bill, AND much less heat.

If you can get the SC-09 for under 3K, I'd think that's a great deal. But, still look into an SC-07; they're supposed to be

2381 - 2400 of 10157 Posts