AVS Forum banner

5841 - 5860 of 10105 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Reflections1 - Those are beautiful!

I noticed that in every setup I've seen on this site as well as the Salk forum on AudioCircle, the speakers are always placed with the tweeters to the inside. I had asked about tweeter placement before and was told there are no rules; just depends on the setup.

I have my HT2-TLs placed with the tweeters to the outside; figured it would maximize the soundstage width and maximize the distance from the tweeters to my 60" plasma in between the speakers.

Am I the only one that places the tweeters to the outside? Am I missing something by not placing them on the inside?

Attachment 215445

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflections1 /forum/post/20589607

Here are some pictures of my new Songtower /rt's. They are a little dark. Like i said not the best of rooms, but i'm happy !!

I see that you placed your songcenter with the ports on top. I know nothing about speaker placement but I would have guessed that the ports would sit on the bottom. Wonder if it matters? Maybe there is no right or wrong placement.

Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 /forum/post/20590794

I noticed that in every setup I've seen on this site as well as the Salk forum on AudioCircle, the speakers are always placed with the tweeters to the inside. I had asked about tweeter placement before and was told there are no rules; just depends on the setup.

I have my HT2-TLs placed with the tweeters to the outside; figured it would maximize the soundstage width and maximize the distance from the tweeters to my 60" plasma in between the speakers.

Am I the only one that places the tweeters to the outside? Am I missing something by not placing them on the inside?

Attachment 215445

I'm just curious if you have listened to your speakers with the tweeters on the inside? And after listening you actually liked the soundstage with the tweeters on the outside.

I just received my ST RTs and in Jim Salks "Notes on the off-set ST tweeter" he said that the tweeter is offset to minimize diffraction artifacts and for optimum results, the speakers should be set set up so that the tweeter are on the inside.

Interesting.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflections1 /forum/post/20589607

Here are some pictures of my new Songtower /rt's. They are a little dark. Like i said not the best of rooms, but i'm happy !!

Reflections1,

Question about the grill on your Song Center.

Do all 4 corners of your grill make contact with each of the 4 corners of your SC?

My grill must be bowed as only 3 of the 4 magnets make contact with the speaker. I've tested all magnets and they work, its just one corner of the grill that won't make contact with the speaker.

DISREGARD - Its an issue with the placement of 1 magnet on my SC that prevents the grill from fitting properly but then who uses grills - right!

Thanks - Jim

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73CalBear /forum/post/0

I see that you placed your songcenter with the ports on top. I know nothing about speaker placement but I would have guessed that the ports would sit on the bottom. Wonder if it matters? Maybe there is no right or wrong placement.

Jim

Also, there should be a Salk nameplate on the back. Assuming Jim put this on so it reads upright when the speaker is right side up.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73CalBear /forum/post/20591088

I'm just curious if you have listened to your speakers with the tweeters on the inside? And after listening you actually liked the soundstage with the tweeters on the outside.

I just received my ST RTs and in Jim Salks "Notes on the off-set ST tweeter" he said that the tweeter is offset to minimize diffraction artifacts and for optimum results, the speakers should be set set up so that the tweeter are on the inside.

Interesting.

I have not listened to them with the tweeters on the inside.

Since my placement inquiries didn't reveal any "guidelines" other than do what sounds best, I chose to place them to the outside for a few reasons. I like a wide sound stage and thought placing them on the outside would help. Also, I thought it would be a good thing to keep the tweeters as far away from the plasma TV as possible. Although perhaps not applicable to the Salks, I noticed when auditioning Magnepans (the tweeter is beside the mid/woofer panel) I preferred them with the tweeters to the outside, so I thought the same might be true with the Salks.

Perhaps if I'm feeling particularly motivated to experiment (the HT2-TLs aren't that easy for me to move), I might swap them and see what I think. I'll post my thoughts if I try that.

I'm pretty sure Dennis responded to my initial placement inquiry, but I don't remember if Jim responded as well. Perhaps either/both might respond here as a reminder?

Edit: I found this on AudioCircle. Someone posted it as a quote from Dennis concerning tweeter placement and toe in;

Quote:
There really aren't any rules on any of this. Somehow it seems to make more sense to put the tweeters closest to each other, but I don't know why. It really depends on whether the off-axis response is smoother toward the wide side of the baffle, or the narrow. And I can't recall that there's much difference. I don't use any toe-in for the dome version. The little tweet's dispersion is so broad that it really doesn't make much difference at a normal listening distance. But feel free to experiment. The ribbon might profit from a little toe-in, but it's all in the actual listening, not the theory. If you can pull them out a couple of feet, I would.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 /forum/post/20591160

I have not listened to them with the tweeters on the inside.

I'm pretty sure Dennis responded to my initial placement inquiry, but I don't remember if Jim responded as well. Perhaps either/both might respond here as a reminder?

Edit: I found this on AudioCircle. Someone posted it as a quote from Dennis concerning tweeter placement and toe in;

The correct tweeter orientation for the L-R mains is open to question. I wouldn't worry too much about it. But for the center channel the tweeter should definitely be in its highest position. It's impossible to design one center channel that will meet everyone's placement decisions, since those vary so much. But I designed the center with the mic on the tweeter axis. You should try to get the tweeter as close to your listening axis as possible, realizing that this will not always be possible. That will almost always mean getting the tweeter as high as possible.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck /forum/post/20591153

Also, there should be a Salk nameplate on the back. Assuming Jim put this on so it reads upright when the speaker is right side up.

No nameplate but looking at Dennis Murphy's post I have my SC positioned correctly as I just assumed the ports should be on the bottom since that was where the speaker posts were located. Looks like I may have gotten one thing right off the bat.

Now I'm wondering if I should have ordered the HT2-TLs and HTC.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Greetings All,

Just want to share my new SongCenter addition last Friday. I never realized how a proper center speaker can add so much to our movie watching experience.

Separately, yesterday my uncle came bearing his simple Passive Preamp which we promptly tested in place of my current Adcom. The result was simply astonishing. The sound became much more "full and weighty" for lack of proper description.

My Grant Fidelity TubeDAC can act as a preamp by slightly modifying the jumper configuration inside. After hearing the sound yesterday, this is what I plan on doing.

Curiously, we also tested Marantz CDP >> TubeDAC >> Adcom preamp vs Marantz CDP >> Adcom preamp and astonishingly (for us) the sound was much better with the TubeDAC in between! What gives? We presumed the longer chain should have resulted in a poorer sound quality.

Meantime, happily enjoying 2ch audio on the SongTowers AND movies on ST + SC.

Next upgrade is probably adding a 12" sub to replace current 10" PolkAudio.

Sorry for the ramblings and thanks for reading.

Regards to All,

Andre

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 /forum/post/20590794

I have my HT2-TLs placed with the tweeters to the outside . . .

You should have bought your HT2-TLs back when the tweeters in the center. It's one less tweak to be concerned with, and they still sound fantastic!

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOMH /forum/post/20591542

Next upgrade is probably adding a 12" sub to replace current 10" PolkAudio.

Regards to All,

Andre

Don't skimp on the subwoofer - go 15 or 18 inches. For that sized room the 12" might not be adequate. What brands are you looking at? Did you paint your room since you last posted pics?

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers /forum/post/20590145

Reflections1, those are beautiful. What veneer is that, and did you have them dyed a special color? How do you like the center?

It's a cherry veneer and i asked Jim if he could dye it a color to try to match my leather furniture which he obligingly did and i am more than thrilled Thanks for looking at them. Rich

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73CalBear /forum/post/20591047

Jim
Quote:

Thanks for pointing that out guys, i should have noticed that the speaker terminals were on the upper side of the speaker and the terminals were reversed. No there is no nameplate on my center speaker. Not sure if there should be but i don't really care. Now i have to listen to them again as soon as my wife goes to the gym. Yes with the grilles off !! She thinks i'm Psycho !!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nuance,

I thought 12 is already an overkill? I was considering Salk as well. Any suggestions?

Wall color is the same as when I first got the SongTowers.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

in that sized room, you would need a LOT of subwoofage to even come close to "overkill"...

as in a LOT... heck, the 12 won't even get you into the "minor injury" stage, let alone the "kill" stage...

you need to do something about your room...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I cannot begin to imagine it as with my current setup it seems that movies are intense and involving enough. Perhaps I can find a way to add a 12 and keep using the current 10?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

stretch your imagination a bit...

you could... it would buy you very little... just from looking at your pics, you have a very large space... it's going to take a LOT to fill it, and nothing you are considering will even have a chance at it...

just as a fwiw... it's not unusual to have to spend as much on subwoofer(s) (if not more) than on your mains to get it "right"...

·
Registered
37 Posts
What would you recommend that would integrate well with the Salks and an old yammie rx-v1600?

The sub is currently near the right rear albeit lower. Is it true that a sub should be placed in mid to front room?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,859

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOMH /forum/post/20592621

Wall color is the same as when I first got the SongTowers.

Hmm, I didn't notice the color before. Regardless, the yellow works really well in that room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflections1 /forum/post/20592507

She thinks i'm Psycho !!

Welcome to the club: Audioholics Anonymous - where the wives think we're crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOMH /forum/post/20592797

What would you recommend that would integrate well with the Salks and an old yammie rx-v1600?

The sub is currently near the right rear albeit lower. Is it true that a sub should be placed in mid to front room?

Thanks.

Just to get it out of the way, I completely agree with ccotenj.

Each room is different, so there is no best spot for every room. However, mid to the front of the room is a good start for subwoofer placement (it also depends on the subwoofer design). Many people recommend trying a corner, but that can excite unwanted room modes, so experimentation is key.

Your room is huge, AOMH, so I'd get as much subwoofer as possible, perhaps using two or three. I know that sounds silly, but I wouldn't recommend something I didn't fully believe in. Not that my opinion holds any water, but I truly believe you need a large subwoofer, if not a couple of them to really experience all that movies and concert DVD's (especially Blue-Ray) can offer in your sized room. The idea is to pressurize the listening space, and a 10 incher simply will not and cannot do that in your room. You want to not only hear the bass, but feel it, with the latter really adding to the listening experience. If you could find a setup of subwoofers that reached below 20Hz in your room, and that weren't localizable, I think you'd be very happy and surprised.

If you want to purchase commericially and are primarily concerned about movies, check out SVS, Elemental Designs, Epik or HSU. If music is your primary concern, check out JL Audio, Rythmik (the newer ones with the larger amps) or consider going the DIY route. I prefer sealed subwoofers because I think when done right they sound better/cleaner, but in that sized room ported or passive would work well too; which version you'll prefer is highly subjective. Two SongSubwoofers would probably be pretty awesome too. Jim makes great subs and uses top of the line drivers (the most important part of subwoofer building IMO). If you pair a tried and true driver will a solid box, you're good to go provided it isn't under/overpowered. In the case of the SongSub, though, I'd request a custom job with 15's instead of 12's. Your room needs larger drivers to move a ton of air!

Finally, the ultimate solution (in my opinion) would be to go with two 18" LMS5400 drivers in a couple of custom boxes. They are expensive, but they're also the best of the best (again, my opinion). You could have Jim build the boxes and then have the drivers shipped to him for the install. The LMS-15R is also a great option, and costs far less than the 18's.

In the end you need to do what you need to do, but please think this over and consider some of the suggestions offered. You won't regret it, and we'll help you in any way we can.

P.S. Are you able to add room treatments?

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/20587013

Darren and DLS,

Where in Alberta are you guys? I 've been dying to hear some ST or HT2s...

- Rick

Rick,

Like DLS said I'm in Edmonton, and I have the HT3's and HTC, but with the older tweeter (Aurum Canthus G2). I think DLS is getting the ST with the RAAL ribbon tweeter which might be closer to what you're looking to hear. Like he mentioned though, he's a lot further away!

Darren A.

5841 - 5860 of 10105 Posts