AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 5654 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Sorry if this has been covered before but does every player lose secondary audio when bitstreaming and do any disc have secondary audio when bitstreaming (does it mean pip won't have audio)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-P1500 Manual /forum/post/0

Setup:

Bitstream

(Audiophile)

Definition:

Outputs only the Primary audio

soundtrack (main soundtrack

of the movie) so that your

receiver can decode the audio

bitstream.

Pro:

You can enjoy DTS-HD sound

if you have HDMI 1.3 receiver

which has DTS-HD decoding

capability.

Con:

You will not hear Secondary and

Effect audio.

Recommended use:

Recommended choice if you

have an HDMI 1.3 receiver

which has DTS-HD decoding

capability.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've watched the HANCOCK trailer teaser (bluray disc is 1c in BB, not bad for a bluray case with logo) and looks very good in samsung 1500. Wow............just wow.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs /forum/post/14164424

esimms86, then you should have a completely separate system for audio.

That's essentially what I had before surround sound came into being. If circumstances were different I'd have a separate room setup for stereo sound only with a separate amp and preamp and a pair of high end speakers. And then even if I did that, I wouldn't be addressing the issue of multichannel audiophile sound. I'd then have to upgrade to a multichannel amp, separate multichannel preamp, 3 more speakers and a subwoofer. At the end of the day, there are obvious inherent compromises in trying to "have it all" in the confines of one room in one integrated system.

- Esau

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFF /forum/post/14164460

You mean profile 3.0 right? It's on the way

True, but it remains to be seen whether there will be enough of a market for it to justify producing enough audio-only blu ray discs. Let's see, Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" in profile 3.0. Hmmm.

- Esau

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 /forum/post/14164755

Sorry if this has been covered before but does every player lose secondary audio when bitstreaming and do any disc have secondary audio when bitstreaming (does it mean pip won't have audio)?

Secondary audio is the PiP audio. When bitstreaming over HDMI using the Audiophile setting, you will not get any PiP audio.

You have a couple of options. Change to bitstream PCM, and you will get a get everything unless it is a DTS-HD track. I think you will still get the DTS core track though.

I take an alternative approach. PiP audio has only been in mono, at least to date. So I just connected the stereo AV cables to my receiver (I think you could use the optical out too, but I'm using all my opt inputs). Just leave the player set to Bitstream (Audiophile). Then on my remote, I setup the Bonus View button to be a macro, instead of a straight button. Push the button and it turns on Bonus View, and also switches the input for my reciver (so audio switches to RCA). Push the button again, toggles Bonus View off on the player, and switches my receiver back to HDMI. Thus I get lossless audio when just watching the movie, and Dolby Pro-Logic 3-chan stereo when using Bonus View (which is fine since the PiP commentary is mono only anyway).

I never use it though. I've yet to watch more than 10 minutes of a movie with Bonus View. It would be nice if Samsung could include a remote code that would switch the 1500's audio setting on the fly from Bitstream (Audiophile) to PCM. Then you could just do the switch at the player without stopping the movie, or messing with your receiver.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris /forum/post/14165991

Secondary audio is the PiP audio. When bitstreaming over HDMI using the Audiophile setting, you will not get any PiP audio.

You have a couple of options. Change to bitstream PCM, and you will get a get everything unless it is a DTS-HD track. I think you will still get the DTS core track though.

I take an alternative approach. PiP audio has only been in mono, at least to date. So I just connected the stereo AV cables to my receiver (I think you could use the optical out too, but I'm using all my opt inputs). Just leave the player set to Bitstream (Audiophile). Then on my remote, I setup the Bonus View button to be a macro, instead of a straight button. Push the button and it turns on Bonus View, and also switches the input for my reciver (so audio switches to RCA). Push the button again, toggles Bonus View off on the player, and switches my receiver back to HDMI. Thus I get lossless audio when just watching the movie, and Dolby Pro-Logic 3-chan stereo when using Bonus View (which is fine since the PiP commentary is mono only anyway).

I never use it though. I've yet to watch more than 10 minutes of a movie with Bonus View. It would be nice if Samsung could include a remote code that would switch the 1500's audio setting on the fly from Bitstream (Audiophile) to PCM. Then you could just do the switch at the player without stopping the movie, or messing with your receiver.

Thanks for the reply. Now i'm a little torn, I really liked the PIP on the 300 HD-DVD disc and now they're going to re-release it on blu-ray so it would be nice to be able to here the audio. But I guess I really don't need it to be lossless and could just switch outputs if my reciever will allow that kind of setup. I've been bugging the wife to get a blu-ray player for a while and now she finally broke, but it needs to be under $400 and I want it to be full featured. Maybe I will hold out for the the new Sony, if I can.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Man, I'm getting tired of this. I bought this player since my 1000 was hanging repeatedly. Played 1st disk of Smallville season 6 fine, and 1st two episodes on disk 2. But then about 10 minutes into the next episode, I got repeated hangs. Show would hang, jump forward a few minutes, hang again, jump again, etc. Turned it off and came here. Hard to believe after almost 2 years they can't make these blu-ray players work better.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard /forum/post/14168723

Man, I'm getting tired of this. I bought this player since my 1000 was hanging repeatedly. Played 1st disk of Smallville season 6 fine, and 1st two episodes on disk 2. But then about 10 minutes into the next episode, I got repeated hangs. Show would hang, jump forward a few minutes, hang again, jump again, etc. Turned it off and came here. Hard to believe after almost 2 years they can't make these blu-ray players work better.

Have you considered you have a bad disc. I just tried my disc on the 1500 and it played episode 3 flawlessly...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris /forum/post/14168755

Have you considered you have a bad disc. I just tried my disc on the 1500 and it played episode 3 flawlessly...

Could be. I see Samsung has a firmware update for my 1000 available. I'll install it and try it on that player.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 /forum/post/14168014

Thanks for the reply. Now i'm a little torn, I really liked the PIP on the 300 HD-DVD disc and now they're going to re-release it on blu-ray so it would be nice to be able to here the audio. But I guess I really don't need it to be lossless and could just switch outputs if my reciever will allow that kind of setup. I've been bugging the wife to get a blu-ray player for a while and now she finally broke, but it needs to be under $400 and I want it to be full featured. Maybe I will hold out for the the new Sony, if I can.

Any player that bitstreams TrueHD or DTS-HD MA will do the same thing, so it doesn't matter if you buy the 1500 or wait for the Sony, both will do the same thing.

The only way to get PiP audio from any Blu-ray player is to have the player decode the lossless track to PCM, and then mix the multiple PCM tracks, and then send the PCM track to your receiver via HDMI (this is what the PS3 does). You won't get any lights for the lossless tracks on your receiver.

Or have the player take a lossless track, decode the lossy portion to PCM, mix, and send to your receiver as PCM. The 1500 already does this.

But if you want your receiver to do the lossless decoding, then you will never get secondary audio from any player you buy, so you can wait forever.

That said, the rumor is that the 1500 will be adding onboard DTS-HD decoding (the Broadcom chip in it does support that too) at some point in the future. I heard before they add Profile 2.0, but nothing has been announced to that point.

BTW, the new 300 BD will use TrueHD, which means if you set your 1500 to PCM, the player will decode the TrueHD to PCM, mix everything else, and send it to your receiver as PCM.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris /forum/post/14168785

Any player that bitstreams TrueHD or DTS-HD MA will do the same thing, so it doesn't matter if you buy the 1500 or wait for the Sony, both will do the same thing.

The only way to get PiP audio from any Blu-ray player is to have the player decode the lossless track to PCM, and then mix the multiple PCM tracks, and then send the PCM track to your receiver via HDMI (this is what the PS3 does). You won't get any lights for the lossless tracks on your receiver.

Or have the player take a lossless track, decode the lossy portion to PCM, mix, and send to your receiver as PCM. The 1500 already does this.

But if you want your receiver to do the lossless decoding, then you will never get secondary audio from any player you buy, so you can wait forever.

That said, the rumor is that the 1500 will be adding onboard DTS-HD decoding (the Broadcom chip in it does support that too) at some point in the future. I heard before they add Profile 2.0, but nothing has been announced to that point.

BTW, the new 300 BD will use TrueHD, which means if you set your 1500 to PCM, the player will decode the TrueHD to PCM, mix everything else, and send it to your receiver as PCM.

I think I see what you are saying, man what a headache. Who ever made some of the desicions on the blu-ray side are real morons, they should use some of that 50GB to just add another soundtrack with the primary and secondary audio mixed. I should be able to pick the best audio option for my setup and set it and forget it like Ron Popeil.

·
Registered
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 /forum/post/14168014

I don't think any player will let you do Audiophile Bitstreaming AND have the PIP audio. It's not a Samsung thing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just took a firmware update on my 1500,took about 15 min or so
on my lan cable

wonder what it fixed or the new profile? was updated too ???

·
Registered
448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catttman /forum/post/14174563

I just took a firmware update on my 1500,took about 15 min or so
on my lan cable

wonder what it fixed or the new profile? was updated too ???

Where did you find the firmware? for BD-P1500? I don't see it at Samsung website

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman /forum/post/14174920

Where did you find the firmware? for BD-P1500? I don't see it at Samsung website

The download is available via the player if you have it connected to the internet. I think that's what catttman meant by "on my lan cable".

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:

He said he downloaded it using the LAN connection. It doesn't look like they've posted it to the website yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:

I said from lan ( its has a on line update just plug it in to a lan line from your modem or router )

anyone know what the update did?????

and anyone get theres updated too??

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmac1 /forum/post/14175418

Can't wait to hear what the new firmware update fixes/enhances.

ME TOO

old firmware = 080418.02

new firmware = 080621.02 (TODAYs update)

1500XAA

921 - 940 of 5654 Posts