AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2868 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I saw this TV yesterday at CC.

The overall picture quality is 10-20% worst than a regular Samsung 30" HDTV.

The picture is out of focus when you are using an analog signal (it was on ch 55 at CC). The text quality is worst than a regular TV in this mode.

The picture quality is acceptable when you are using a HDTV source (on Component 1 at CC). It is not as good as any Sony CRT HDTV.

Geometric distortion is Ok but not great.

The holes on the phosphorus screen mask are huge. You can see each one within 2 feet (not sure about the exact distance) from the TV.

If you think a reduction of 8-9 inches in depth is important, then buy this TV.

If you are interested in picture quality, I would not buy it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Acwal, are you sure that most of the issues you mentioned aren't attributable to the TV not being calibrated properly? The one I saw at Best Buy in Arcadia, CA looked very good. I didn't like the look of it, personally, but the picture quality was not bad.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am very confused, i went to two cc stores in nyc, queens and Manhattan and the picture quality was horrible. I played with the setting and was not able to get it to look good enough or compared to panansonic or sony. Sony still look way superior to the slimfit. slimfit is just another marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am getting mine tomorrow.I was at CC at Rego Park, the pictures on all the tv were bad but at College Point,queens,It was good.

There is no way you can judge the picture quality from a store when the settings are all mess up and the guality of the signal sent through all the TV's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
and it's not too heavy. I could lift 1 side of it with my left hand.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just got back from best buy and i saw the slimfit on display it was not so good looking in terms of picture quality. Another dissappointment. So far i saw two slimfit from two diferent cc stores and know best buy. That makes three slimfit with bad looking picture quality.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My local CC and Best Buy stores don't even have it. Anyone know of any locations in the Chicago suburbs that have it on display? Also, is there any word on when the competing LG slim set will be available? It looks like it's going to be a lot better than the Samsung.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by julio388 /forum/post/0

I just got back from best buy and i saw the slimfit on display it was not so good looking in terms of picture quality. Another dissappointment. So far i saw two slimfit from two diferent cc stores and know best buy. That makes three slimfit with bad looking picture quality.

You really can't go by the way it looks in the stores - the signal is split to possibly dozens of sets and you don't know how good the raw feed is in the first place. When i was looking at 32" HD-ready TVs two years ago almost all of em looked less than perfect and some looked downright awful. The TV i ended up buying looked poor in the stores but when i hooked it up in my living room the picture was excellent. Had i gone by the picture quality i saw in stores i would not have bought anything.

I would only buy a TV from a store with a good return policy so if it turns out to be crappy you can exchange it or get a refund and try a different brand.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the picture from my slim tv.I am not able to compare to a plasma or a Ld because I only have the slim tv.

My pioneer dvd is hook up directly to the tv using component video while my direct tv satelllite is hook up using svhs to my pioneer receiver to the tv using SVHS cable.The pictures from the satellite is just plain sd signal.

I am planning to try out the hdmi using an indoor antenna.

Pictures from the satellite is pretty good no wash out.

I have a problem switching from a svhs to the component video directly.I can't use the source on the remote to do it.I have to go into the menu to switch intput instead directly or go to the tv to do it.2 steps instead of one.

That's it.not that good a review.

Picture quality is better then the store display.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You shouldn't be surprised that this TV has a slightly worse picture than a traditional sized CRT. I have not seen this set in person but there are no improved PQ claims made I think if you like the style and don't care for the best PQ than slimfit TV might be for you.

This isn't some breakthru technology that SED might be. If they could even get 95% of the PQ of their normal CRT sets I think it would be a great job considering the angles this electron gun is working with.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Its seems the consensus among our members is that slimfit is not the technology that was supposed to provide great picture quality than standard hdtv crt tube. Many people i have spoken to and others agree that slimart was a major disappointment. So far there has not been a great review of the slimart, but marginal report of decent picture quality. I have not heard anyone say awesome or outstanding.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by julio388 /forum/post/0

Its seems the consensus among our members is that slimfit is not the technology that was supposed to provide great picture quality than standard hdtv crt tube. Many people i have spoken to and others agree that slimart was a major disappointment. So far there has not been a great review of the slimart, but marginal report of decent picture quality. I have not heard anyone say awesome or outstanding.

Well, its just the first of the slim sets to be available. None of my CC or BB stores even have them so I can't say. I'm waiting on the LG slim set but no one knows when its due out other than by the end of summer. Multiple model numbers are confusing too.

1 - 20 of 2868 Posts