AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 751 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the 1st Quarter, 2004, issue of our thread. Here are the links to the past threads:

Click here for the February 2002 thread.

Click here for the March 2002 thread.

Click here for the April 2002 thread and

Click here for the May 2002 thread.

Click here for the June 2002 thread.

Click here for the July 2002 thread.

Click here for the August 2002 thread.

Click here for the September 2002 thread.

Click here for the October 2002 thread.

Click here for the November 2002 thread.

Click here for the December 2002 thread.

Click here for the January 2003 thread.

Click here for the February 2003 thread.

Click here for the March 2003 thread.

Click here for the April 2003 thread.

Click here for the May 2003 thread.

Click here for the June 2003 thread.

Click here for the July 2003 thread.

Click here for the August 2003 thread.

Click here for the September 2003 thread.

Click here for the 4th Quarter 2003 thread.

Contained within these past threads is 4299 posts and a wealth of information concerning reception issues and technical issues at the local digital television stations. New subscribers to this thread are urged to read through these threads before posting questions to the group.

Early adopters and station engineers started this thread in February 2002 to foster a constructive dialog between the two groups at the startup of the DTV service in this market. It has worked well but there have been some clashes, teeth gnashing and rending of flesh. To avoid this, basic Ground Rules are enforced for The Official SE Virginia/NE North Carolina Thread. The Ground Rules are:
  • No personal attacks or name calling.
  • Requests, not demands.
  • Understanding & tolerance is the first order of the day (as we are a diverse group of people meeting in a common area).
  • Courtesy is the second order of the day (as we are a diverse group of people meeting in a common area).
  • The Official SE Virginia/NE North Carolina Thread is not the complaint counter between the viewers and the stations.

For pressing matters, station engineers can usually be contacted - during business hours - via telephone at the published number for that station.

For information concerning the orientation of an antenna for Over The Air (OTA) reception, click here for the CEA's antenna mapping utility program.

Andrew Scott

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome to a new year! If HD grows half as much this year as it did in 2003 we're in for a real treat! Keep up the great work everyone!!!

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Who cares if it grows if the local broadcasters and the cable companies cant agree to show it?

Im not going yo get an OTA reciever(antennas sux) and cable too - maybe ill just watch DVDs and do the net on my 50" TV and say $%^ to all of em.

oh and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
976 Posts
WTKR-DT

We see (and hear) a slight lip-sync error here at station. I have added appox. 23Msec of delay to audio to bring it back to where video is. We have never had a lip-sync problem here because audio was embedded in the video. I am now dealing with two stream paths.

please continue to monitor and let me know if lip-sync is present and by how much (a bit, some, huge)

thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
After reading what the engineers are going through with DTV, I think my four remotes and I are much better off catching than pitching in this little game.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I was wondering about reception in Corolla for a visit with friends New Years eve/day and received a reply:

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Garrenton
I would certainly say that it's feasible, but that's not the same as predicting success. The theoretical coverage areas for WAVY-DT and WVBT-DT extend just about to Duck, and Corolla is inside of that. Of course we have viewers outside of that boundary, but that requires a good outdoor antenna system.

Naturally, your results will depend on how high up you can get your antenna, what obstructions (other houses) are in your path, etc. I would definitely take your preamp along and try it first without it and then with it. All things considered I think that it's worth a try. Let us know what happens if you do.
I took down my HTPC (with MyHD HDTV card), and bought a Silver Sensor indoor antenna, coupled with my existing Channel master preamp (never tried it without). I was pleasantly surprised with the reception. Being from the DC area it was the first time I actually got to watch UPN on digital. Strong signal on all channels the first night (with the antenna outdoors on about 8 feet off ground.

The next day I had to take some pains to aim the antenna as virtual 10 (NBC - good for Maryland game) was all I was getting except the North Carolina PBS. But I needed ABC (Virtual 13?) for the other bowl games and got it locked with careful aim ( along with CBS).

My friends enjoyed watching the football on the big-screen with my LCD projector. It was far superior watching on digital OTA than what they had available on cable; but I was shocked that none of the bowl games were in HDTV; although some of the Rose bowl was clearly enhanced (I suppose this meant 1440*1080i, or its 720p equivalent, with some of the camera shots.)

I didn't realize how far north their house was in Corolla so this was probably part of reason for successful reception.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by obxdiver
Was watching WTKR-DT last night between 7:00-7:30pm and the lip sync was off by at least 1 second. No crackling or poppingin the audio...only lip sync was off.
Steve,

I saw the same problem. I'm using a Dish 6000 receiver. It was during, "Everybody Loves Raymond." I re-booted my receiver and it came close after the re-boot. It was something in the receiver for the most part, then what Ted did after brought it right on.

Thanks Ted!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Re: Reception in Corolla

I have the older MDP100 MyHD card. The current MDP120 card supposedly has a much more sensitive tuner - so Corolla/Duck should not be a problem for someone with a multi-bay UHF and a good pre-amp

Thanks for the heads up Les

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've noticed that OTA Channel 3 sometimes produces better pictures than Cox. Sometimes the Cox picture has wavy (pun intended) lines similar to ghosting. This could be my setup so I'm asking if anyone else noticed this.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Anyone else having issues with 43-1 reception today? I'm getting dropouts and the reception I'm getting is about 6-8 points lower than my normal average reception strength for that channel. WVBT has been consistently my best channel but the reception seems to have flip flopped with 10-1 which had been a problem for much of last year but is now working well again as of a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
Anyone else having issues with 43-1 reception today?
No...43-1 has been rock solid for me today. Same with 10-1 during the dog show. However, as of 4:05pm...WTKR-DT is still unwatchable due to the lip sync issue. Luckily, watching football requires no lip sync.

I thought the NFL Today on CBS was supposed to be in HD for the playoffs.

Also getting DD 2.0 not 5.1

EDIT 4:45pm

Now getting DD 5.1 and sounding great Ted. Also the Lip Sync greatly improved during the NFL Today show but there was still a slight delay.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I notice a lip sync on WTKR right now during the game. It's not a huge 2-3 second delay as mentioned above, but it's considerable. I know you guys will get it straight for us, keep up the hard work! :)

The 5.1 sounds great so far! Glad that this is up and running and makes the Superbowl even more hard to wait for!

Mike

·
Registered
976 Posts
WTKR-DT

WTKR-DT is in 5.1....

CBS did not come up with HD/5.1 until 4:38 (start of game)...NFL today was NOT in HD. I realize the lip sync and I am working on it...adjusted thru NFL today show (7 changes)....still off but closer than it was at 4pm...I am NOT noticeing a 2-3 second off-set as stated before....

feedback is welcome.....

·
Registered
976 Posts
WTKR-DT

6:05pm

trimed audio delay a little more.......

also added some bandwidth to 3.1 just before half time (from 12.5 to 14.8 MB/s). Hopefully this will improve tilting in second half

I did some 2.0 to 5.1 switching back and forth between 5:20 and 5:35pm. I am trying to understand what is going on with system and what CBS is sending me. I apologize for the pops and snaps....but I have no 5.1 test time from CBS, must test and setup when they have 5.1 programming.

Enjoy

1 - 20 of 751 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.