AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to May 2003. Sorry I have no desire to type in links to the previous months. Try the "Search Function".

·
Banned
818 Posts
I can help with that, OB!

Here's a reference for all the other past OFFICIAL SE Virginia/NE North Carolina Threads:

Click here for the February 2002 thread,

Click here for the March 2002 thread,

Click here for the April 2002 thread and

Click here for the May 2002 thread.

Click here for the June 2002 thread.

Click here for the July 2002 thread.

Click here for the August 2002 thread.

Click here for the September 2002 thread.

Click here for the October 2002 thread.

Click here for the November 2002 thread.

Click here for the December 2002 thread.

Click here for the January 2003 thread.

Click here for the February 2003 thread.

Click here for the March 2003 thread.

Click here for the April 2003 thread.

Some basic Ground Rules for The Official SE Virginia/NE North Carolina Thread:
  • No personal attacks or name calling.
  • Requests, not demands.
  • Understanding & tolerance is the first order of the day (as we are a diverse group of people meeting in a common area).
  • Courtesy is the second order of the day (as we are a diverse group of people meeting in a common area.
  • The Official SE Virginia/NE North Carolina Thread is not the complaint counter between the viewers and the stations.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can anyone explain why I have so many problems with WVEC. One day, they are rock solid with zero dropouts, and the next they may be unwatchable. Tonight, with the two hour Alias finale looming, their signal hardly registers at all. I live in Great Bridge and all the other stations come in at 100% - even WHRO, which I know is at 1/4 power.

Is this the station? Is it my Hughes E86? Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone explain why I have so many problems with WVEC. One day, they are rock solid with zero dropouts, and the next they may be unwatchable. Tonight, with the two hour Alias finale looming, their signal hardly registers at all. I live in Great Bridge and all the other stations come in at 100% - even WHRO, which I know is at 1/4 power.

Is this the station? Is it my Hughes E86? Any ideas?
I live in Great Bridge too (Mount Pleasant Heights). I have an attic mounted antenna aimed at the Driver section of Suffolk and have no problems with WVEC-DT or any of the other DTV stations.

There are no anomolies with the operation of WVEC-DT...power is the same and there are no problems with the antenna and transmission line.

It sounds like a multipath problem to me.

1st BTW: WVEC-DT will be installing a new and somewhat improved (Harris) Apex exciter later this week. The exciter of a transmitter is the core of that device. It is responsible for modulating the 19.38mb/s bitstream up to the operating frequency. Everything else in a transmitter amplifies that signal for broadcast.

2nd BTW: Thanks for starting the new thread Robert...I meant to do it but things have been busy on the station side as of late.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was going to pop on Saturday evening to describe the hard time I was having with WVEC-DT. Then I realized that I was having problems with all the DT stations... horrible atmospheric conditions between here and there. The strongest I could get was 40 on the DTC-100 readout. Even at 40, WVEC-DT was much more stable than I would have guessed. I was all set for 1080i Gladiator but settled for the 480p DVD version. My daughter had never watched it and she is just now of the PG-13 age.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So Gary, in all that horrible reception did you pick up DTV from 300 miles out or just a jumble??

Just curious...

jh

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Les: Thanks for completing the links!

Peter: Your welcome!

RichCD: What type of antenna are you using? You may just need to move it a couple of feet to the left or right. Last December channel 13 was in and out for me. All the other channels were at 100%, however, 13 was up and down on my DST-3000. Moved the antenna about 8 feet left. Solid on all channels. Give it a try may work for you.

OB

·
Registered
502 Posts
John,

I didn't try to get anything else. If my daughter hadn't been so interested in watching Gladiator I probably would have tried some DXing. That's what I normally do... when things are so jumbled I rescan channels to see what I can get. I have picked up Philadelphia stations on occasion and somethimes I get the Raleigh stations.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Since we are back in ducting weather, I'll be interested in what long or even semi-long distance viewing is out there. With more DTV's on-line, this year's season should be interesting.

Thanks!

jh

·
Registered
286 Posts
Upcoming PBS Digital Presentations: High Definition,

Widescreen Standard Definition and Digitally Enhanced

Please Note: The list below should only be used as a reference guide, as it indicates the original feed date and time for

upcoming PBS HD and Widescreen SD programs. All

programs listed below are stereo, unless otherwise noted. Red indicates changes or additions made since the last posting.

May 2003

MANOR HOUSE (R)

Thirteen/WNET/Wall to Wall

6/60

Fridays at 10:00 PM, May 2-June 6, 2003

Widescreen SD

NATURE "Animals Behaving Badly" (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

May 4, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

PBS HOLLYWOOD PRESENTS "The Gin Game"

KCET

1/90

May 4, 2003, at 9:00 PM

HD

WARRIOR CHALLENGE

Thirteen/WNET

4/60

Tuesdays at 9:00 PM, May 6 - 27, 2003

Widescreen SD

NATURE "A Mystery in Alaska"

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

May 11, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

PETER AND PAUL AND THE CHRISTIAN REVOLUTION (R)

DDE/Margaret Koval

2/60

May 14 & 21, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

KINGDOM OF DAVID: THE SAGA OF THE ISRAELITES

OPB, Red Hill Productions and DDE

2/120

May 14 & 21, 2003, at 9:00 PM

Widescreen SD

NATURE "War Wrecks of the Coral Seas"

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

May 18, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

AMERICAN MASTERS "Robert Capa: In Love and War"

Thirteen/WNET

1/90

May 28, 2003, at 9:30 PM

Widescreen SD

June 2003

INSIDE THE ANIMAL MIND, A NATURE MINISERIES (R)

Thirteen/WNET

3/60

Sundays at 8:00 PM, June 1-15, 2003

Widescreen SD

GREAT PERFORMANCES "Dance in America: From Broadway -- Fosse" (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/120

June 4, 2003, at 8:00 PM

HD

OVER ALASKA (R)

KCTS

1/60

June 11, 2003, at 10:00 PM

HD

ALASKA'S GOLD RUSH TRAIN (R)

OPB

1/60

June 15, 2003, at 10:00 PM

Widescreen SD

CLINT EASTWOOD, OUT OF THE SHADOWS, AN AMERICAN MASTERS SPECIAL (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/90

June 18, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

GREAT PERFORMANCES

"Dance in America: Lar Lubovitch's 'Othello' from San Francisco Ballet"

Thirteen/WNET

1/90

June 18, 2003, at 9:30 PM

HD

July 2003

SOUNDSTAGE

WTTW

13/60

Thursdays at 10:00 PM, beginning July 3, 2003

HD *surround sound

NATURE "Earth Navigators" (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

July 6, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SPECIAL "The Quest for Noah's Flood" (R)

National Geographic Television

1/60

July 8, 2003, at 9:00 PM

HD

SECRETS OF THE DEAD "Titanic's Ghosts" (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

July 9, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

MARTIN LUTHER

DDE/Lion TV

1/120

July 9, 2003, at 9:00 PM

Widescreen SD

HISTORY DETECTIVES

OPB/Lion TV

10/60

July 14-17, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Mondays at 8:00 PM, beginning July 21, 2003

Widescreen SD

NATURE "The Urban Elephant" (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

July 20, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

CROWN OF THE CONTINENT (R)

Idaho PTV

1/30

July 21, 2003, at 10:30 PM

HD

SECRETS OF THE DEAD "Bombing Nazi Dams" (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

July 22, 2003, at 9:00 PM

Widescreen SD

AMERICAN MASTERS "The Education of Gore Vidal"

Thirteen/WNET

1/90

July 30, 2003, at 10:00 PM

Widescreen SD

August 2003

AYERS ROCK, A "NAKED PLANET" SPECIAL (R)

Wall to Wall Television

1/60

August 1, 2003, at 10:00 PM

Widescreen SD

NATURE "Showdown at Grizzly River" (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

August 3, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE "Lost in the Grand Canyon" (R)

WGBH

1/60

August 4, 2003, at 9:00 PM

HD

THE SPARTANS

Lion TV

1/150

August 6, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

THE ALEUTIANS: CRADLE OF THE STORMS (R)

OPB/Natural History New Zealand

2/60

August 22 & 29, 2003, at 10:00 PM

HD

NATURE "Extraordinary Birds" (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

August 24, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

DEFIANT REQUIEM

OPB and Brandenburg Productions

1/90

August 27, 2003, at 8:00 PM

HD

NATURE "Springs Eternal: Florida's Fountain of Youth" (R)

Thirteen/WNET

1/60

August 31, 2003, at 8:00 PM

Widescreen SD

Last updated on May 5, 2003

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Since the leaves are back, I have problems with WVEC (on windy days) and UPN (most nights). I am hoping that I just need to align the antenna better. If its that my receiver Samsung 150 can't handle multi-path problems then it will stay that way until Cox debuts HDTV.

By the way, last night I noticed a lot of pixelization inthe dark action scenes on CSI. Probably a worse case scenario.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks to all for your suggestions on my WVEC reception problems. I have a modified RS Double Bow Tie in the attic, and a Hughes E86 (which from what I understand, is exactly the same as a Toshiba DST-3000) Any way, I have moved the antenna around several times, gotten WVEC back, and then a few days later it's gone again. This has been going on for several months. It could be the wind, the leaves, or maybe I'll just break down and buy a new antenna - the one I'm using was only $4.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RichCD
Thanks to all for your suggestions on my WVEC reception problems. I have a modified RS Double Bow Tie in the attic, and a Hughes E86 (which from what I understand, is exactly the same as a Toshiba DST-3000) Any way, I have moved the antenna around several times, gotten WVEC back, and then a few days later it's gone again. This has been going on for several months. It could be the wind, the leaves, or maybe I'll just break down and buy a new antenna - the one I'm using was only $4.

Thanks again!
Rich:

Yes, the Hughes is the same as the Toshiba. I'm also using the RS Double Bow tie. Located in the attic of a two story. $4 what a deal, mine was $17. Has been worth twice the price to me.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
It has been about 2 months since I was last on this forum and I would like an update on the progress of digital closed captioning. I know everybody has been stressed so I have not been pushing. I know the issue is being worked on and I appreciate everyones help.

I checked the stations at 2pm today and found.

Channel Call Sign Network Result

3 WTKR CBS worked fine until about 1045 last night

10 WAVY NBC works fine

13 WVEC ABC has never worked

15 WHRO PBS has never worked

27 WGNT UPN works fine

43 WVBT FOX has never worked

49 WPXV PAX has never worked

38 WTVZ WB has never worked

Thanks,

Bob G

·
Registered
443 Posts
Bob:

WVEC-DT installed a new PSIP generator about a month ago but I have been struggling with automatic EPG updates from Tribune Media Services. Once I get that squared away, I'll move onto DTVCC issues.

Thanx for being patient.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RichCD
...maybe I'll just break down and buy a new antenna - the one I'm using was only $4.
We've had very good results with the Channel Master 4221 & 4228. Granted, they're more expensive ($50 & $70), but might relieve a few headaches. :p

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
WTKR-DT

Starting around May 15, WTKR-DT will activate channel 3-3. This is only being done as testing for futher use. It is not a long term deal and should only last for about a month. Channel 3-1 will be decreased by 3MB/s to create bandwidth for 3-3. If any special CBS HD programming should come up during that time. 3-3 will be turn off for that night and bandwidth will be returned to 3-1. Again this is only a test and not long term.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.