AVS Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 4090 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
This turning over of the material might have some real effect to it. I find that with my new 130 inches screen the weave seems to be less visible than my previous 109 inches. Seating distance is the same. I assembled the new screen by unrolling the material so the inside of the roll is the exposed surface. With my previous screen, I don't remember which was which, but it is possible it might have been reversed.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deromax  /t/842769/the-official-seymourav-center-stage-screen-thread/2520#post_24324488

This turning over of the material might have some real effect to it. I find that with my new 130 inches screen the weave seems to be less visible than my previous 109 inches. Seating distance is the same. I assembled the new screen by unrolling the material so the inside of the roll is the exposed surface. With my previous screen, I don't remember which was which, but it is possible it might have been reversed.
I sent an email to Chris he recommend the inside off the roll. That is the surface that would be exposed if using a retractable screen. Also that is the surface that is inspected for imperfections.

·
Registered
777 Posts
He'd confirmed as much earlier in the thread.

Just trying to help as I tried it about a month ago.

I ended up using the outside of the roll which was in pristine condition (when it arrived).

Back (on mine)

Front/image side

·
Registered
9,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw  /t/842769/the-official-seymourav-center-stage-screen-thread/2520#post_24329417

He'd confirmed as much earlier in the thread.

Just trying to help as I tried it about a month ago.

I ended up using the outside of the roll which was in pristine condition (when it arrived).

Back (on mine)

Front/image side

Are those at the same distance, lighting etc?

They look really different.

When you say "Back" do you mean "outside of roll"?

·
Registered
777 Posts
They were the same or close to the same distance.

When I hung the screen I hung it from the 8' end (sideways temporarily) and the roll was to the back of the room, what is now "back" would have been the inside of the roll.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw  /t/842769/the-official-seymourav-center-stage-screen-thread/2520#post_24329570

They were the same or close to the same distance.

When I hung the screen I hung it from the 8' end (sideways temporarily) and the roll was to the back of the room, what is now "back" would have been the inside of the roll.

Okay, what you are calling "back" is where you are supposed to project the image (inside of roll). Good to know.

So using the 'wrong' side really appears to be different and viable.

I'm dying to receive my sample and see it in person!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm jonesing to put it back up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but there is supposed to be no back or front to this material. Its usually the inside of the roll that was inspected for defects. Maybe Chris can chime in on this one.....again

·
Registered
406 Posts
Chris said that both sides have the same look and properties. He recommends using the inside but my outside looked slightly better so I used it instead.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade  /t/842769/the-official-seymourav-center-stage-screen-thread/2520#post_24332902

agreed Since no QA was done on outside of roll I just went with the inside with no regrets

from rear of theater 19' from screen

from primary seating position about 9'

from primary seating position about 9' 4x zoom

12 inches from screen

12 inches from screen 4x zoom

Thanks for posting this. Definitely helps give one a sense of perspective. I will try to post similar shots comparing this and similar materials.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Folks. I wonder what the current name is for the Logitech Harmony codes for the Seymour AV screen. I bought and installed my screen four years ago and love it. But I'm updating my remote and don't see Seymour in Logitech's database. A search of this thread shows that a device by Electronic Solutions (ESI) or Somfy would do the trick. But what specific model would I input into the Logitech software? BTW, my vague memory of four years ago says that Somfy was what I used then.

Many thanks, Ken

PS And what's with Logitech taking over four years to update the database?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I found a cache of old emails between me and Chris. So I'll post some answers here for others' future reference.

First of all I suspect that Logitech has two databases, since Chris reports above that one can find an entry for "Seymour AV". But I can't find that. The two Harmony's I'm using are the 890 and 900, which I suspect use an old, unsupported data base. And new remotes us a new database that does have "Seymour AV" in it.

So, for the older remotes and older Seymour Av screens, codes can be found for two motor options, Somfy and Electronic Solutions. My screen uses codes that Harmony calls Electronic Solutions and ESI, with model number RP60AU.

And just to make things interesting, Logitech has coded "open" to correspond to "screen up" and "close" for "screen down".

Cheers, Ken

·
Registered
777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw  /t/842769/the-official-seymourav-center-stage-screen-thread/2520#post_24331813

I'm jonesing to put it back up.

Well it's back up.

I think I found out why the side with the diagonal patten should be used.

I reinstalled the opposite side, the side I suggested, the side I used before and I'm noticing some patchy blur when the lines on the image are parallel to the walls or the floor. Not alot but enough to wonder what if...

·
Registered
777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63  /t/842769/the-official-seymourav-center-stage-screen-thread/2520#post_24410132

Does the screen have the little writing on one side near the edge like the samples do so you know what side to use?

I never looked.

It's fine at 120", I'm thinking it must be something else.

Is it possible the dust on the lens is effecting the image at 150"?

I'll square it up (better) later today and see if this helps too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looking at these screens, likely going to do a 120" screen with seating at 12-14 feet back, do I need to get the black backing, what does the black backing achieve exactly, it is not clear from the website? Greatly appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayformojo  /t/842769/the-official-seymourav-center-stage-screen-thread/2530_10#post_24444192

Looking at these screens, likely going to do a 120" screen with seating at 12-14 feet back, do I need to get the black backing, what does the black backing achieve exactly, it is not clear from the website? Greatly appreciate the help.

The black backing helps to block reflections from anything shiny behind the screen. (Because it is acoustically transparent it is also partially visually transparent.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, that helps, not sure I will have anything shiny back there, but I guess if you were using certain speakers they may have a metallic part that could show through.

2521 - 2540 of 4090 Posts