AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much info available on either as of late January but they should be available in March.

My wishlist for them:

1) 10 bit video processing - or higher, but I am trying to be realistic.

2) HDMI 1.3 to be able to use a digital connection and take advantage of the 10 bit processing.

3) Better black levels and shadow detail.

I am not a member of their target demographic (gamers) but am seeking a medium sized LCD for watching DVDs and HD-DVDs via the new Toshiba HD-AX2.

·
Banned
783 Posts
There is already a thread on this but by now it has probably degenerated into either a talk of the new audio standards HDMI 1.3 will use or "pc timings" (whatever they are).

I too am interested in the 37" model for similar reasons, although I would be content with component input via a Denon 2930ci if it scales really well. It may be in my mind, but I honestly think I see a difference for the better on my brother's Panasonic plasma when he uses the component input instead of the DVI; the colors just look more realistic to me.

Unlike you, though, I do play games on the PS2 and hope to upgrade to the PS3 later this year. Hmmm, maybe I do need that 1.3 input after all!

I was disappointed to see they are not listed as having the new 120 Hz refresh rate. I guess Sharp had to save something for this Autumn's line.

·
Banned
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami2311 /forum/post/0

from what read the do have 120hz vyper mode or something like that but i think it only active when game mode it on

Interesting.

But I wonder why they would make it switchable instead of being "on" all the time? I imagine the game mode would not be suitable for movie viewing.

Damn, why can't companies get it right? All they seem to care about is having products to sell in the future. Obviously, I don't want Sharp or anyone else to make the "perfect" HDTV now, then go belly up because no one had any reason to buy their future products, but enough with this piecemeal product improvement system. I can just see their marketing group at work:

10 bit processing this Autumn.

HDMI 1.3 next Spring.

120 Hz refresh rate Autumn 2008.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm also in the small-size/high-res market. Just sort of waiting for the manufacturers to catch up.

To be realistic, I know I won't be viewing much 1080p video content for a while yet, but I'd love the resolution and pixel density for displaying from my PC. So I suppose I want the best of both worlds: high pixel counts for displaying from PC, and good scaling quality for watching SD and medium-res (720i/p). It will be interesting to see how many manufacturers if any join in serving this niche.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did not see this thread when I searched or I would not have started my own. I plan on getting the 32 inch version of this or the new Sammy after some feedback from the guinea pigs.

Im excited because it will be one of the first 32 inch lcds in 1080p and can take 1080p through the component - ALA XBOX 360. The Samsung will only be 720p, but I have a very hard time telling any difference on my 40, so I dont know how important 1080p would be on a set this small. I guess it will enable me to sit only a few feet away from the set without seeing any pixels. Well see in a few months hopefully.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I presonally can't wait for the 32". I'm usually about 2-3 feet away from my current 1080i set, and an extra 1100 lines of horizontal resolution would be a godsend. I just hope I haven't been spoiled by CRT blacks and contrast ratios.

But hey, it's an Aquos, right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a 37D90U for a few weeks before the panel died. I wanted to use it as a 1920x1080 PC monitor using the DVI or HDMI inputs. It mostly worked, but the color information was blurred from pixel to pixel, probably from some sort of image processing loop they put in there for TV signals.

Anyone know if this one will display a 1920x1080 PC signal exactly as-is?

·
Registered
741 Posts
It doesn't have 120hz. The vyper mode is great for playing my PS3 but what happens when I'm not and watching TV? I can imagine that Vyper mode will work for my PS3 Blueray player.

This set does have good contrast for a small set in comparison and als 6ms response. But does it have the Micronas TruHD chipset for signal processing or is that only reserved for the 120hz.

So a lot of open questions which has me wondering if a 37" 720P with 120hz is good enough (Toshiba).

My wish list:

120hz with Micronas TruHD, no judder, blur, or ghosting

37" 15,000:1 Contrast or better

Better handling of SD content 14+ bit processing

Bluetooth for remote and headphones

Firewire unencrypted output to record programs

PIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.92 /forum/post/0

Not much info available on either as of late January but they should be available in March.

My wishlist for them:

1) 10 bit video processing - or higher, but I am trying to be realistic.

2) HDMI 1.3 to be able to use a digital connection and take advantage of the 10 bit processing.

3) Better black levels and shadow detail.

I am not a member of their target demographic (gamers) but am seeking a medium sized LCD for watching DVDs and HD-DVDs via the new Toshiba HD-AX2.

·
Registered
165 Posts
These panels are made at a different plant. From what I've read here, the banding issues are exclusive to the panels coming out of the Kameyama II plant which manufactures the larger panels like the 46" and 52" for the 92 series. Therefore its unlikely the banding issue will plague this line as well.

Quote:
My wish list:

120hz with Micronas TruHD, no judder, blur, or ghosting

37" 15,000:1 Contrast or better

Better handling of SD content 14+ bit processing

Bluetooth for remote and headphones

Firewire unencrypted output to record programs

PIP

To be honest KevinJ your wish list is a little stacked, I personally think at this size 720p is more than enough and that although yours is an ideal contrast ratio it will be a while before the new LED techniques being used will trickle down to the smaller lines. Also I think 120hz is a way over-hyped feature and people who claim to see huge differences have been witnesses at demonstrations that were set up to specifically highlight the advantage of this new feature, meaning the weaker panel is essentially fixed to look worse or is extremely low end. At this size its good to look for a high contrast ratio yes, but I really don't think the resolution will be as eye popping as you think. Just my two cents though and it is a wish list, I know your not expecting the next Sharp to embody perfection.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV_ME /forum/post/0

These panels are made at a different plant. From what I've read here, the banding issues are exclusive to the panels coming out of the Kameyama II plant which manufactures the larger panels like the 46" and 52" for the 92 series. Therefore its unlikely the banding issue will plague this line as well.

To be honest KevinJ your wish list is a little stacked, I personally think at this size 720p is more than enough and that although yours is an ideal contrast ratio it will be a while before the new LED techniques being used will trickle down to the smaller lines. Also I think 120hz is a way over-hyped feature and people who claim to see huge differences have been witnesses at demonstrations that were set up to specifically highlight the advantage of this new feature, meaning the weaker panel is essentially fixed to look worse or is extremely low end. At this size its good to look for a high contrast ratio yes, but I really don't think the resolution will be as eye popping as you think. Just my two cents though and it is a wish list, I know your not expecting the next Sharp to embody perfection.

Hi, I had posted this on the other gaming tv thread. My understanding is that the specs for this tv (higher contrast ration and backlighting like the 46 and 52 inch D62s) are only available on KII plant panels. I hope I am wrong because KII panels are the ones with the banding issues. However, if I am not wrong, either the specs are wrong or the plant is wrong. Is there a way to confirm the specs or plant? BTW, does anyone know why the 32 inch has a higher contrast ratio in their brochure?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.