AVS Forum banner

14241 - 14260 of 14308 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

hi i have a kds-55a2000 so  i had a broken blue panel with green yellow isues i had change the panel and it help with it i get blue back :) but now i have a problems with the green and yellow colors on the tv :(  before that i had green yellow!! in the service mode color settings are there only red and blue not green?? is green panel broke?? or is it someting else?? when i start the tv the hole pitcure is green and after 2-4minutes the green is gone and pitcure is ok with not green!! only red blue! so perhaps the green panel is defect? or how with the lcds board? or qm board?

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizman7  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/14220#post_23909679

Just saw this thread. Mine just got the tint after about 6yrs of use.

I'd be curious to know the details of some of the deals/offers you guys got from Sony. I've read of a few, they seem to vary quite wildly. Not crazy about spending money on a new TV right now though (and that's saying a lot as I love new gadgets).

It'd be open to fixing it myself, but the DIY video I found didn't really give good instructions on how the average person could align the new panel though. He showed how too using an extra tv that had the top cut off! I don't have that, so having some much more detailed and precise instructions on that may convince me to go that route, if anyone knows of a good DIY guide for that for this specific issue. Also good place to buy the new panel, so far I just saw some on eBay for $130, but I've had nothing but bad experiences with eBay though.

This is pretty ****** timing for me and my wallet.

Hi Dizman. Sorry to hear that your Sony got the tint issue but consider yourself one of the lucky ones to have it last so long. I'm on my second replacement TV after my 50A2000 got the green tint. The first replacement I bought from Sony's replacement program back in 12/10, for $600 was the KDL55HX800, it only lasted about a year and a half. It would turn on but go back off after a few seconds and do that constantly. Never did find out why. I was offered to buy another Sony, KDL55HX850, in 7/12 off their program for $900. So far, so good, no problems with the current TV. While it's nice getting a brand new TV for a low price every year or so, I'd much rather have a TV that lasts a few years. Maybe Sony should call it their Lease-A-Sony program instead.
Hopefully this one will last.

Not sure which DIY video or website you visited, so I'll post the ones that I know of:
https://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonykdf-55wf655opticalblockreplacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oP2nNPOjn_Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by janne74  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/14220#post_23972365

hi i have a kds-55a2000 so  i had a broken blue panel with green yellow isues i had change the panel and it help with it i get blue back
but now i have a problems with the green and yellow colors on the tv
  before that i had green yellow!! in the service mode color settings are there only red and blue not green?? is green panel broke?? or is it someting else?? when i start the tv the hole pitcure is green and after 2-4minutes the green is gone and pitcure is ok with not green!! only red blue! so perhaps the green panel is defect? or how with the lcds board? or qm board?

Sounds like a problem with the optical block. Check out the links I posted above to Dizman, maybe they will help.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrw  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/180#post_8052715

Finally got it!! Didn't have much chance to use it b/c had to go out this evening. So far the picture is VERY nice! No green blobs, even the SD channels don't look nearly as bad as my old Zenitch LCD projection. the local HD over the air channels looked REALLY good. I am hooking the xbox 360 up now to the VGA input and will report on diff between that and component in later. so far I am very pleased!
The "freeze" function is kinda a weird though. The live picture is very small right next to the frozen picture. It sure makes SD look good though in the small window....Really now, what the hell is the usefulness of freeze? Am I missing something?

The freeze button is useful when there's a quick shot of Jessica Alba in a bikini.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsdfwx  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/14220#post_23982513

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrw  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/180#post_8052715

Finally got it!! Didn't have much chance to use it b/c had to go out this evening. So far the picture is VERY nice! No green blobs, even the SD channels don't look nearly as bad as my old Zenitch LCD projection. the local HD over the air channels looked REALLY good. I am hooking the xbox 360 up now to the VGA input and will report on diff between that and component in later. so far I am very pleased!
The "freeze" function is kinda a weird though. The live picture is very small right next to the frozen picture. It sure makes SD look good though in the small window....Really now, what the hell is the usefulness of freeze? Am I missing something?

The freeze button is useful when there's a quick shot of Jessica Alba in a bikini.

I think I saw that America movie...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone confirm if Sony is still offering the replacement tv program for those with the optical block issue? Any members recently get a new sony through the program?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/14220#post_24191407

Can anyone confirm if Sony is still offering the replacement tv program for those with the optical block issue? Any members recently get a new sony through the program?

I called about mine late October 13. they had Zero replacement offers. I was given an option to purchase selected TV on Sony website at 15% discount off listed price.

I did not take the offer and got in my opinion a better TV on black Friday.

Kareem

·
Registered
124 Posts
Same here. I was offered 15% off of any TV on Sony's website. I asked for 15% off any Sony TV on the street (i.e. Amazon, BB, Costco, Sears, etc.) and the person on the other end of the line laughed at me. Interestingly, when I went to BB they only had two or three Sony models on the floor, which kind of made me think that nobody was buying Sonys these days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has there ever been a solid set of clues on how to prevent the green blob issue? I have a 50A2000 which I'd like to preserve after a very minor green splotch at the top of the screen qualified me for a KDL-60EX700 for ~$500. Currently I run both he high altitude and low power settings. Will either of those help? Thanks...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have mine set at high altitude but read the lower power setting does not make much of a difference. Does not seem to be rhyme or reason for the optical block going but inevitably it will. Hope mine can hang on until the new models come out. Needless to say it will not be a Sony.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank F  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/14220#post_24247536

I have mine set at high altitude but read the lower power setting does not make much of a difference. Does not seem to be rhyme or reason for the optical block going but inevitably it will. Hope mine can hang on until the new models come out. Needless to say it will not be a Sony.
Did you not get in on the exchange program? Maybe Sony feared a class action suit, but still, the $500 60EX700 sitting in front of me right now went a long way to restoring my confidence in Sony. :)

Thanks for the info on the settings. The SXRD is now a secondary set rather than our primary, so hopefully the reduced usage will help as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silphium  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/14220#post_24257412

The SXRD is now a secondary set rather than our primary, so hopefully the reduced usage will help as well.

As soon as started notcing a faint green tinge in the black portions on my 60A2000, I opted to go after a Panny Plasma and the ailing Sony has been regulated to tertiary in the excerise room. Hopefully the limited hours will extend the life of the optical block for a few more yrs.

Brettwf

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi everyone!

I'm writing from Poland (Central Europe) So firstable at all I have to sorry anyone for my english, and also I have to inform you that in Poland we haven't got any good service or popular forums to get quick and accurate answer.

I had problem with yellow/green blob, I replaced chip according to youtube instructions from norcal715, but after I did it succesfully (no I have blue and others colours) i have problem with black - it has blue tint in scenes where black is dominate colour (like navy blue). What I can do? I've searched the service menu, but it's to much options for person like me. Maybe I did something wrong in getting everything togheter while I was changing panel?

Thanks everyone, greetings

Mark.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird6820  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/14250#post_24388822

I have the kds-55a2000 with the green tint can I get this tv replaced?

There are earlier posts of Sony still honoring the exchange program and a more recent post that Sony has shut it down. Doesn't hurt to call Sony (look for contact info in this thread) and try. I opted to look for a non-Sony HDTV as I thought I could get a better deal than the Sony Exchange offerings.

Brettwf

·
Registered
43 Posts
I contacted Sony two weeks ago when my 2006 60 A2000 began showing a green tint vertically on both sides of the screen. The optical block unit was replaced about two years ago (I had purchased the extended warranty when I purchased the set in 2006). Sony offered 15% off a set purchased from the Sony store on-line. Very few sets were listed as qualifying for this offer.

I am now shopping for another HDTV from another manufacturer.

Does anyone know if we will ever see any type of a settlement from the class action suit?

·
Registered
4 Posts

I called sonny and they said they don't have any program 4 exchange, I would have 2 fix it myself or they said if I bought a new tv they would offer me a 15% discount.....I almost ran up a curb.

That was it, fix it yourself or they would give me a stinking 15% off a new 1. they should at least give me a new one!

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMorgan  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/14250#post_24395029

I contacted Sony two weeks ago when my 2006 60 A2000 began showing a green tint vertically on both sides of the screen. The optical block unit was replaced about two years ago (I had purchased the extended warranty when I purchased the set in 2006). Sony offered 15% off a set purchased from the Sony store on-line. Very few sets were listed as qualifying for this offer.

I am now shopping for another HDTV from another manufacturer.

Does anyone know if we will ever see any type of a settlement from the class action suit?

The class action lawsuit was settled, the settlement was the exchange program. If you didn't want to be a part of the class action, you could've went after Sony yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird6820  /t/701578/the-official-sony-2006-kds-xx-a2000-no-price-talk-sxrd-owners-thread/14250#post_24395202

I called sonny and they said they don't have any program 4 exchange, I would have 2 fix it myself or they said if I bought a new tv they would offer me a 15% discount.....I almost ran up a curb.

That was it, fix it yourself or they would give me a stinking 15% off a new 1. they should at least give me a new one!

I did my exchange probably 4 years ago and even then they didn't give me a new TV, I had to purchase it. They did offer a bigger discount back then though. Realistically, don't you think Sony had to end the exchange program at some point? IMHO, you should be happy you're TV lasted as long as it did. I'm usually not one to defend big corp but it has been 6+ years since the TV's were released. Anyway, I would suggest recontacting the Sony Team through Facebook and see if they can get you a better offer. It's worth a shot, all they can say is no.

·
Registered
43 Posts
'Not upset with the offer from Sony at all. There are just a lot of other good HDTVs available from other manufacturers at a more attractive price.

I think that Sony did a good job of supporting these TVs as long as they did and I am really going to miss the original great picture that this TV had when it was working properly.

It is a shame that a small engineering oversight caused such a problem with what (I feel) was a technology that was really ahead of its time.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this forum in the past and helped greatly in the set up and my enjoyment of what was originally a wonderful product.

·
Registered
4 Posts

no sure who 2 talk to on facebook but I did get in contact with [email protected]  and he gave a decent price 4 the optical block.

Just my opinion, I think if Sony had r best interest in hand they would honor and fix the problem they created no matter how long it took. I wont be buying anymore from Sony! 

14241 - 14260 of 14308 Posts