AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 6806 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry for being a noob but I have been out of the audio game for some time and don't really understand, PCM, Bitsream, etc. My receiver is a older Yamaha HTR-5630 and has no HDMI. I have my current SD DVD player connected via component to the TV (Sony KDS-55a3000) for video and optical to the AVR using it's "DVD" input for old fashioned DD5.1 or DTS.

The receiver also has a 6 Channel Input, here is what the manual says. "This unit is equipped with 6 additional input jacks (MAIN Left and Right, CENTER, SURROUND left and right and SUBWOOFER) for discrete multi-channel input from a component equipped with a multi-channel decoder and 6 channel output jacks".

Now to my question :) I'm confused about what the 350 can and can not do, will I be able to use the 6CH jacks on my receiver to take advantage of anything better than regular DD5.1 or DTS (my current options) or am I still limited to using the optical audio? Keep in mind I don't have a sub woofer so I would need to be able to tell the 350 to sent LFE to the MAIN's.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp /forum/post/14255926

Sorry for being a noob but I have been out of the audio game for some time and don't really understand, PCM, Bitsream, etc. My receiver is a older Yamaha HTR-5630 and has no HDMI. I have my current SD DVD player connected via component to the TV (Sony KDS-55a3000) for video and optical to the AVR using it's "DVD" input for old fashioned DD5.1 or DTS.

The receiver also has a 6 Channel Input, here is what the manual says. "This unit is equipped with 6 additional input jacks (MAIN Left and Right, CENTER, SURROUND left and right and SUBWOOFER) for discrete multi-channel input from a component equipped with a multi-channel decoder and 6 channel output jacks".

Now to my question :) I'm confused about what the 350 can and can not do, will I be able to use the 6CH jacks on my receiver to take advantage of anything better than regular DD5.1 or DTS (my current options) or am I still limited to using the optical audio? Keep in mind I don't have a sub woofer so I would need to be able to tell the 350 to sent LFE to the MAIN's.

Thanks in advance!

The 350 will decode TRUEHD and DTS Core (NOT Master Audio). So you should be able to at least enjoy TrueHD by letting the 350 do the decode. As for DTS MA being done by the 350, I don't think that is in the cards. I believe it is only designed to bitstream that format. So you wouldn't be able to get DTS MA with your current receiver.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/14255981

The 350 will decode TRUEHD and DTS Core (NOT Master Audio). So you should be able to at least enjoy TrueHD by letting the 350 do the decode. As for DTS MA being done by the 350, I don't think that is in the cards. I believe it is only designed to bitstream that format. So you wouldn't be able to get DTS MA with your current receiver.

Thanks for the fast reply ...what about the comments people keep making about the 350 only doing 2 channel? Or is that a whole seperate thing?

·
Registered
Just a Budget Audiophile
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/14255613

I also tested Batman Begins. It was a slower load then the Rat Blu Ray.

I saw that too, Batman Begins did take a bit longer to load then other BD's.

Quote:

i didn't test any of the extras or the PIP stuff. I hardly ever watch extras. I'm lucky if I can find the free time with my two little ones to get through the movie, much less the extras.

If you get a chance, can you please check on Batman Begins during the movie when you pull up the on-menu screen, see if the menu screen flickers/chugs when you navigate back and forth to the extras/language/scenes etc. I'm having that issue, on my bros PS3 he does not get that flickering on Batman Begins or V For Vendetta.

Thanks for your input.

Quote:

Although I did watch the first 6 minute trailer for Dark Knight on it. Man does DK look to be GREAT!

I know, it's a thing of beauty.

I can't fricken wait for The Dark Knight!

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangner /forum/post/14254470

The confusion is also in the manual. It says to enjoy "Bonus View" you need the memory. I thought Bonus View was 1.1?

Yes, the confusion is in the manual because the manual is wrong. BonusView discs doesn't need the usb-memory, only the Bd-Live discs (and actually only the Live section, if you watch only the movie you don't need the memory at all for the Bd-Live discs)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp /forum/post/14255926

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/14255981

If the sony s350 only has 2 channel analog audio how can beckp listen to TRUHD if his current receiver has no hdmi for the s350 to decode? How will the s350 decode truhd with his current setup. He need atleast a bluray player who has 5.1 or 6 channel analog audio to take advantage of the truehd like bd30 or bd10a. I am a noob myself but am I right to this?

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian /forum/post/14256284

If the sony s350 only has 2 channel analog audio how can beckp listen to TRUHD if his current receiver has no hdmi? How will the s350 decode truhd with his current setup. He need atleast a bluray player who has 5.1 or 6 channel analog audio to take advantage of the truehd like bd30 or bd10a. I am a noob myself but am I right to this?

Yes, that was the point I tried to make (but not so elliquently) in my reply asking about the 2 channel audio.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfligio /forum/post/14256156

Yes, the confusion is in the manual because the manual is wrong. BonusView discs doesn't need the usb-memory, only the Bd-Live discs (and actually only the Live section, if you watch only the movie you don't need the memory at all for the Bd-Live discs)

Actually, from what I can tell, the manual isn't technically wrong. As Barney_DaPurple1 posted above, the requirements for a player to be profile 1.1 (Bonus View) compatible include 256MB of built-in memory. If the 350 doesn't even have that, then they can't say that the player is profile 1.1-compliant.

Now whether any of the Bonus View stuff currently needs that 256MB of memory to be available is another matter. From what people are posting, the discs that have been tried don't need any persistent storage to be available. But it's possible that there are some out there (or there might be in the near future) that do require some amount of persistent storage, and if it's not there then the Bonus View features may not work properly.

So, so far the Bonus View stuff seems to work fine without anything in the USB slot. But that may change with other/future titles.

EDIT: Well, they definitely advertise it as being Profile 1.1-compliant, so you can scratch most of what I said up there. Does anyone know how much built-in memory the S350 has?

EDIT 2: The manual is now posted online (thanks rp683). From page 32 of the manual, it appears that the 350 DOES NOT contain any internal memory, so it's not fully BonusView-compliant out of the box. So what I wrote above still stands. The manual is technically correct (a >256MB USB flash drive is required for the player to be fully BonusView-compliant), but it appears that all of the BonusView features currently available will work fine without it.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckp /forum/post/14256033

Thanks for the fast reply ...what about the comments people keep making about the 350 only doing 2 channel? Or is that a whole seperate thing?

If the s350 only has 2 channels you need a reciever with hdmi to have the s350 decode truehd. Unless the s350 has 6 channels then your reciever is good enough. If you don't want to upgrade your reciever now you may want the optical for now till you upgrade which still not bad. IMO

·
Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/14251351

No the BDP-S350 would be fine in your case.

What I and some others are talking about with "source direct" is if you have a high end display setup that is capable of 1080p & 1080p24 + external video processor or video processor builtin to a receiver like the Reons in high end onkyos.

In order to obtain maximum video quality with both Blu-ray and DVD, many are looking for the player to do this:

With the understanding that the only valid Full HD resolutions that you can encode Blu-ray in are 1080p24 and 1080i60...

1) For Blu-ray 24fps films encoded in 1080p24 (most films), pass 1080p24 directly to the HDTV

2) For Blu-ray 24fps films encoded in 1080i60 (rare), send 1080i60 to a high end video processing chip (either in TV, receiver, or external box) for proper deinterlacing

3) For Blu-ray 30fps concerts/documentaries encoded in 1080i60, send 1080i60 to a high end video processing chip (either in TV, receiver, or external box) for proper deinterlacing

4) For all DVDs, send 480i60 to a high end video processing chip (either in TV, receiver, or external box) for proper upscaling & deinterlacing

That would be optimal use of source direct for maximum quality of both Blu-ray and DVD using chips builtin to some receivers/processors such as Reon & Realta or devices such as the VP50, Lumagen, etc. This is the default behavior of Source Direct, and there is no need to juggle resolution settings in the setup menu with it.

Now, in contrast, what the Sony BDP-S350 does is only allow you to pick one output resolution. If you pick 1080p, then 1080i discs will be deinterlaced in the player to 1080p. If you pick 1080i, then 1080p discs will be processed internally to 1080i. The problem is that the video processing chip performing these operations in most players under $1000 are nowhere near as good as chips such as Reon/Realta. For instance, the Panasonic BD30 (which the S350 may be based on) bobs 1080i content to 1080p, losing lots of resolution in the process. And most people don't want to be messing with output resolution in the setup menu every other movie they watch.

And thus, in summary, people want to automatically bypass the player's internal video processing to use their own superior video processing solution for the large amount of interlaced content on Blu-ray, as well as for DVD. That is the purpose of source direct.

If you don't have a scaler, don't plan to buy a nextgen receiver like the Onkyo 875 which features Reon deinterlacing/upscaling, and your TV's deinterlacing is no prize, then source direct isn't going to help you. However if you upgrade your receiver or TV in the future, you may be sorry that the player lacks this feature. Then again, the cheapest 3rd gen player with Source Direct is the BDP-51FD ($599), so if that is out of your pricerange you may want to forget it and just go with the S350 anyway.

Thank you for this very descripted response. I learned something from that. I appreciate that.

·
Registered
789 Posts
sorry guys!

I got ahead of myself on the analogs. I honestly never paid any attention to them since I have a 1.3 receiver to connect to. I assumed it had 5.1 analogs and thought that even www.Blu-ray.com mentioned it had 5.1 analogs. I connected my HDMI cable so quickly that I really didn't pay attention.

I just checked the back and they aren't there. I'm shocked it doesn't have 5.1 analogs. That is kind of a major screw up on Sony's part if you ask me. Looks like this unit is going to pretty much only going to work for anyone planning to bitstream to a 1.3 receiver.

·
Registered
789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEEVIPER /forum/post/14256102

I saw that too, Batman Begins did take a bit longer to load then other BD's.

If you get a chance, can you please check on Batman Begins during the movie when you pull up the on-menu screen, see if the menu screen flickers/chugs when you navigate back and forth to the extras/language/scenes etc. I'm having that issue, on my bros PS3 he does not get that flickering on Batman Begins or V For Vendetta.

Thanks for your input.

I know, it's a thing of beauty.

I can't fricken wait for The Dark Knight!

I didn't have any flicker on the pop up menu for Batman. It worked just fine for me.

I'm so ready for The Dark Knight. That 6 minute tease looks like we'll get our money's worth for sure. It might even be better then Begins! Can't wait until 12:01 on the 18th.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo /forum/post/14251297

exactly! All I want to know is the power up time and load time for ratatouille. Funny that nobody seems to know the answer to that.

From the time the drawer closed until the first preview played was 47 sec.

·
Registered
Just a Budget Audiophile
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/14256457

I didn't have any flicker on the pop up menu for Batman. It worked just fine for me.

I'm not sure what's going on with my player then, the flicker/chugs happens when the pop up menu is rising from the bottom to the top, I may have to post a video of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 /forum/post/14256457

I'm so ready for The Dark Knight. That 6 minute tease looks like we'll get our money's worth for sure. It might even be better then Begins! Can't wait until 12:01 on the 18th.

I got my tickets early for The Bridge in LA, midnight, in IMAX!

This movie will be the greatest thing since slice bread.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
I'm not sure what's going on with my player then, the flicker/chugs happens when the pop up menu is rising from the bottom to the top, I may have to post a video of this.

I see this with my Panasonic BD10. It's not that bad and I never thought about it until I read your post.

·
Registered
Just a Budget Audiophile
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk /forum/post/14257207

I see this with my Panasonic BD10. It's not that bad and I never thought about it until I read your post.

The Sammy1500 also did that but it was worst then the 350, I returned that Sammy a while back.

My brother tells me he doesn't get the flicking/chugging on his PS3 while watching Batman Begins...

I guess it must be that great vid processor on the PS3.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a Pioneer 4280HD plasma, and although it's "only" a 720p set, it will accept a 1080p24 signal. Should "Source Direct" be an issue with this set, or will the BD player's processor/deinterlacer be better than the Pio anyway?

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo88 /forum/post/14257448

The S350 has it's own customer support page on Sony Style now. No manuals or other information is posted yet BUT they've listed "compatible operating systems" here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...pl?mdl=BDPS350

Mac OS isn't compatible?

They probably just mean they have no instructions for how to download and burn the update discs on Macs. My guess is it's like the Panasonic updates - just download the .exe file and expand it with Stuffit Expander and then you can burn the ISO file with Toast. I have a Mac so that's what I'm going to try when the time comes.

Then again it has an Internet connection so you can theoretically apply the firmware updates via the net.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLatte /forum/post/14257559

Then again it has an Internet connection so you can theoretically apply the firmware updates via the net.

Yeah, the lack of Mac compatibility doesn't make much sense with an ethernet jack. I've never had an update problem with my existing HD-A3 thru the network connection.

241 - 260 of 6806 Posts