AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2079 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Internet access plus incredible picture quality—even in 3D.


Fusing a striking picture with elegant design, Edge LED backlit BRAVIA® EX720 Series LCD HDTVs are packed with state-of-the-art technology, including 3D in Full HD 1080p. Watch your favorite fast-action movies and sporting events in crystal clear detail thanks to X-Reality™ Engine. In addition to advanced energy saving features, this HDTV is Wi-Fi® Ready which lets you instantly stream hit movies, popular TV shows and the latest music from Qriocity™, Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, YouTube™, Pandora® and many more when you add the UWA-BR100 wireless adapter.


-------------------------------------------------------------------


PICTURE SETTINGS FROM PROFESSIONAL VIDEO SITES:

CNET Picture Settings

-Picture Adjustments menu--

Setting Memory: [any]

Picture Mode: Custom

Backlight: 2

Picture: 95

Brightness: 54

Color: 53

Hue: 0

Color Temperature: Warm 2

Sharpness: Min

Noise Reduction: Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Motionflow: Off

CineMotion: Auto 1


--Advanced Settings menu--

Black Corrector: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

Gamma: +1

Auto Light Limiter: Off

Clear White: Off

Live Color: Off

Detail Enhancer: Off

Edge Enhancer: Off

Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]

i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]


--White Balance menu--

R-Gain: -2

G-Gain: 0

B-Gain: 0

R-Bias: -2

G-Bias: -2

B-Bias: -2

Flat Panels HD

Picture mode: Custom

Backlight - 5

Contrast - 89

Brightness - 57

Color - 50

Hue - 0

Sharpness - 0

Color temperature - Warm2

Noise reduction -Off

Mpeg noise reduction -Off

Motionflow On

Film-mode Auto 1/Auto 2

Black corrector Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off

Gamma - 0

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White Off

Live Colour Off

Detail/Edge enhancer Off

R Gain -10

G Gain -9

B Gain 0

R Bias -2

G Bias -1

B Bias +1

HDTVTest Settings EX723

Picture Mode: Cinema1 (Select Cinema Under Scene first)

Backlight: 9

Picture: 90

Brightness: 50

Colour: 50

Colour Temp: Warm 2

Sharpness: 50

Dot Noise: Auto (for TV and Old Shows)

Motionflow: Clear

Film Mode: Auto2


Detail Enhancer: Your choice, for SD material only

White Balance: -3 -1 0 -2 -1 -2


----------------------------------------------------------------


PROS AND CONS


CONS

1) Crosstalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Strange ... got mine yesterday (Tuesday) too! Here's a cut 'n' paste of my original post -- plus additional comments:


Received early this AM my "reshipment" of my 60EX720 (in another thread I'd mentioned that the first delivery was damaged).


[As a basis for comparison, I upgraded to the 60EX720 from a 7 year old 60XBR950 RP)


Comments in NO particular order:


1. Before deciding on the 60EX720, I had read in this forum all the comments about flashlighting, blooming, haloing, et al. FYI the set I received have NONE of those problems, to any degree. "Uniformity" is GREAT ... at least on my set!


The ONLY time blacks exhibit ANY degree of flashlighting is when I ramp up PICTURE, BACKLIGHT, and BRIGHTNESS to MAX settings; and then, the brightening appears relatively uniformly, not just around the edges.


2. Does the picture get "washed out" as you move "off-center"? Yes -- BUT only to a VERY SLIGHT degree. Had I NOT seen user comments here, I would not have even noticed. In my case, I would say that picture "contrast" SEEMS to be "reduced A BIT" when moving off center. What's interesting is that picture quality seems just as good at 89 deg. from center as it is at 60 deg.


3. On the downside: the internal speakers are NOT good at all! I GOTTA get me some external ones.


4. The new menu system will require some getting used to; but right now I don't like it. Bottom line: owning a previous Sony set WILL NOT speed up the learning process for this new menu system.


5. Media Remote on my iPhone works well ... but while it DOES respond quickly, don't expect it to be AS quick as the IR remote.


Addition today: 6. as of now I CANNOT register my 60EX720 with Amazon Instant Video. The instructions at Amazon AND Sony site SEEM to NOT apply to the EX720; the selection doesn't seem to exist on this new menu.


7. I'm at the end of Day 2 with the 60EX720, and something's happening which I DID NOT expect: from posts in other threads I was expecting this Edge LED TV to be darker than a CCFL TV (I also have a 40EX500). This new EX720 seems DAMN BRIGHT to me! And detail seems to stand out more (esp. in mens suits and VERY SUBTLE patterns on screen (ex: the Law and Order series' opening credits: I NOW see each actors' photo go from a newsprint dither to a reg. photo, something I NEVER noticed before.


8. One thing I DON'T like: if the EX720 powers off (manually or power save), it also powers down any Bravia Link equipment (in my case the PS3). Oftentimes I WANT to keep the PS3 powered up such as when I want to recharge the controller.


9. Watching sports (even hockey), the picture motion seems nicely fluid when MOtionflow is set to "Standard".


10. While I can "live with it" ... I'm not happy that the 60" is the ONLY model in EX720 line that cannot swivel or tilt. Swivel would make plugging video sources a lot easier.


11. Perhaps this is a benefit of LED LCD TVs -- as well as its METAL chassis -- but it's nice to have a TV which is "cool" to the touch! No more worries about ventilation!


More later ... including testing the 60EX720's headphone outputs with a pair of AKG Q701 reference headphones. Want to see a) sound quality and b) whether I also need to use a headphone amp (like most pro headphones need)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20424643


So, how's your EX720 so far? Just got mine yesterday. Tweaking a lot, but will stay away from countless hours of calibrating until I have finally reached a month. So far, really, I have yet to be blown away. I've upgraded from a Sony W450 and PQ seems like a slight improvement, or maybe I'm just so used to my W450?


I'm still being optimistic though. Have yet to try the TV but at the Sony Store it looked awesome.



If you thought it looked "awesome" in the store, maybe you should rerun initial setup and choose "retail" instead of "home"!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It usually takes me quite sometime before I be at home on a TV.


Watched SUPERBAD on BluRay last night, and The Orphanage when I woke up. (I know, not really titles that will showcase visual feast)


Overall I'm happy that my set doesn't have clouding. NONE at all. Just the usual four-corner flashlight that most sets suffer with but I hardly notice it. Still not tinkering with the settings that much, at home with Standard (and with all options and advanced settings on default which is medium to low). Just going to enjoy the set for a while (especially 2D) before really diving it.


I've seen some calibration settings and they're all quite the same. All off, sharpness to Min, Warm 2. Maybe give this one a couple of months and we'll see some really breakthrough in terms of calibration for this set. After all, the set allows us to tinker up to the tiniest details (especially WHITE BALANCE).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCool /forum/post/20425012


It usually takes me quite sometime before I be at home on a TV.


Watched SUPERBAD on BluRay last night, and The Orphanage when I woke up. (I know, not really titles that will showcase visual feast)


Overall I'm happy that my set doesn't have clouding. NONE at all. Just the usual four-corner flashlight that most sets suffer with but I hardly notice it. Still not tinkering with the settings that much, at home with Standard (and with all options and advanced settings on default which is medium to low). Just going to enjoy the set for a while (especially 2D) before really diving it.


I've seen some calibration settings and they're all quite the same. All off, sharpness to Min, Warm 2. Maybe give this one a couple of months and we'll see some really breakthrough in terms of calibration for this set. After all, the set allows us to tinker up to the tiniest details (especially WHITE BALANCE).

Although I STILL honestly believe that my set also doesn't have any uniformity issues, I also noticed that even the subtlest HINT of flashlighting on the EX720 can be elminated in "Advanced Settings" by turning on "Advanced Contrast Enhancer" -- the EX720's version of "LED Dynamic Control".


Hopefully this may help someone else who does have flashlighting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam /forum/post/20425898


I'm expecting delivery of a 55EX620 today. Are these TVs identical except for the 3D and fake 240hz electronics?

From what I remember of the specs of both: yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
The EX720 has a nice feature set, but the problem is it does none of them very well. That is the real trade off. The entire sum of what the EX720 offers is lackluster, but the wide range of uses is great.


The 3D is pretty bad, at least for me with the new 2011 Glasses. I see lots of cross talk and the screen becomes very pixelated...like its down rezzing quite a bit. I am going to try another HDMI 1.4 cable once it arrives, but this TV so far has been one big drain on the wallet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDay /forum/post/20427298


The EX720 has a nice feature set, but the problem is it does none of them very well. That is the real trade off. The entire sum of what the EX720 offers is lackluster, but the wide range of uses is great.


The 3D is pretty bad, at least for me with the new 2011 Glasses. I see lots of cross talk and the screen becomes very pixelated...like its down rezzing quite a bit. I am going to try another HDMI 1.4 cable once it arrives, but this TV so far has been one big drain on the wallet.

Isn't the EX720 the bottom end 3D TV in Sony's 2011 lineup? I think that the fake 240hz is what hurts the 3D capability of this set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I turned off the motionflow on my 60EX720 and that seemed to improve the 3d somewhat. I was using Xpand Universal X103 glasses but was not very impressed with the 3d. I was watchin a program on Direct TV, one of the few offered for free.

Good to see there is finally an "Official Sony EX720 Owner's Thread".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Anyone else noticing a haze on their screen when a camera pans quickly? I notice it a lot during sporting events especially hockey, soccer and even baseball. With the solid color of the field/ice it really stands out. My assumption is it's a result of uneven backlighting but i'm not sure. Is this an LED issue and fairly normal or is this a defect? It can get quite annoying and I can't help but notice it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdigregorio121
Anyone else noticing a haze on their screen when a camera pans quickly? I notice it a lot during sporting events especially hockey, soccer and even baseball. With the solid color of the field/ice it really stands out. My assumption is it's a result of uneven backlighting but i'm not sure. Is this an LED issue and fairly normal or is this a defect? It can get quite annoying and I can't help but notice it.
On a quick pan, SOMETIMES I see block noise/pixelation, but not "haze" using the traditional definition.


However, I HAVE noticed a SLIGHT increase in halo effect (especially bright colors on a a black background) IF Adv. Contrast Enhancer is set. In the OFF position everything's normal -- but the halo effect increases VERY slightly as you ramp up ACE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've tested 3D gaming with the set, not impressed so far.


Tried NBA 2k11 and the framerate was horrible. Turning off motion enhancer though did the trick but motion enhancer works so well with sports titles, it's disappointing.


Can't say the same thing with 2D though, it's a great picture. Slowly liking the set at its default setting, but anything higher than 5 in Backlight gives eye strain.


I've read the lengthy review on Television Info and I'd have to agree. The 3D is a bonus if this is your first upgrade in a long time but if you've been bouncing from set to set then I'd suggest you pick the higher-end 3D TVs in the market, the picture may underwhelm you.


So any of you have settings that you like? Will post mine maybe in a month's time after really calibrating the set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb
Although I STILL honestly believe that my set also doesn't have any uniformity issues, I also noticed that even the subtlest HINT of flashlighting on the EX720 can be elminated in "Advanced Settings" by turning on "Advanced Contrast Enhancer" -- the EX720's version of "LED Dynamic Control".


Hopefully this may help someone else who does have flashlighting.
This did the trick. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This may be a big drain in the wallet, I got it at $2,712 in my country (Philippines) but I say to the owners don't be disappointed. This is a good starting 3D set, and I believe with all the 3D content coming in the next few months this may keep us happy for years.


Again, the 2D's great in itself. Not really high-tier great, but a great improvement over the LCDs you are getting rid of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
i got my 46 inch today still trying to adjust the settings i am going to have to get a wall mount i am afraid of it falling off my dresser and hitting the floor but over all so far the picture looks great i am going to go to go buy some hdmi cables now :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
My set having horrible backlight problems has been submitted to Sony. Same pictures have been submitted to an authorized Sony technician. Just waiting for an answer from him.


That aside, I'm totally satisfied with this set. Just need the 2011 3D glasses now. I turn off all motion/cinemotion effects. I like my picture to be as natural as possible. I'm in a relatively dark room. so my settings are as follow:


Custom

Backlight: 4

Picture: 95

Brightness: 51

Color: 51

Hue: 0

Color Temp: Warm 1

Sharpness: 50
 
1 - 20 of 2079 Posts
Top