AVS Forum banner

2161 - 2180 of 3325 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWisconsin97 /forum/post/0

1. Parts are harder to come by because they discontinued CRT's.

Parts can surely still be found for a TV that was only discontinued a few months ago. I was talking to a Sony rep a couple of months ago about getting the 970 repaired if something went wrong, he said there are plenty of parts, he said they still have Beta parts.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal /forum/post/0

Parts can surely still be found for a TV that was only discontinued a few months ago. I was talking to a Sony rep a couple of months ago about getting the 970 repaired if something went wrong, he said there are plenty of parts, he said they still have Beta parts.

They sure will be harder to get. It's not like this TV was produced in the hundreds.. I'm sure parts are available, but not readily available on hand anymore. Since there's only 3 technologies out, and CRT is finally done, none of the repair men will have CRT parts, since their chances of coming by a CRT are becoming slimmer and slimmer.

Just logical thinking, not sure if this is right, but sure makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestarav /forum/post/0

You guys are freaking me out here. In this day and age, how can this tv NOT be fixed if it's defective? Parts can be replaced, and magnets can be used to alter geometry if the service menu proves to be too limited, right? Is it a money/time issue where you'd rather exchange it with another tv brand/model instead? I'm confused. I only ask because I have a tech guy coming to see me on Monday, and the last thing I wanna hear him say is "there's nothing I can do."

Well, in my case, the TV had sporadic purple corner syndrome and repair was giving me the runaround just prior to 30 day exchange window closing. So.....back it went *sigh*

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWisconsin97 /forum/post/0

They sure will be harder to get. It's not like this TV was produced in the hundreds.. I'm sure parts are available, but not readily available on hand anymore. Since there's only 3 technologies out, and CRT is finally done, none of the repair men will have CRT parts, since their chances of coming by a CRT are becoming slimmer and slimmer.

Just logical thinking, not sure if this is right, but sure makes sense to me.

Sooo...not sure if it's right, but you'll keep saying it anyway? "
"

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've worked on electronics for a long time. Parts for major brands can be found long after the model isn't produced anymore in most cases. I wouldn't worry much about it. Sony charges a lot for their parts, they will more than likely have parts for the 970 for a few years to come. If a repairman says he can't get parts, it probably translates to he doesn't want to fix a 200 pound TV. I just bought a new igniter for a 40 year old dryer that they quit making the part for 15 years ago.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal /forum/post/0

I just bought a new igniter for a 40 year old dryer that they quit making the part for 15 years ago.

was it a maytag ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
if he says theres nothing i can do, hes full of it! so dont take that for an awnser. i to got a service guy coming this monday, and im going to tell him (he allready refused once just to look at it on the phone) "hey chief, one of two things are happing here today. Your fixing this thing up to MY specifications, or your singing off on a replacement, its that simple. eather way your getting paid!

I also got a legal paper from circuit city about a lawsuit agenst them, how they are failing to live up to there protection plan, and ill even show it, saying ill put in a clame agenst him (for refusing to look at the tv in the first place) and circuit city if i dont get what i want, and what i paid for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
HELP!!!!!!

i went into service mode....and the grid pattern wont go away when i turn my tv back on....picture is there for a few seconds then it goes back to grid....

·
Registered
67 Posts
thanx....this is my 3rd 970.....not perfect but better than the last two.....paid 699 for the last 1 ...full refund(30 day)...got this 1 for $430...good deal

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudebeggar /forum/post/0

thanx....this is my 3rd 970.....not perfect but better than the last two.....paid 699 for the last 1 ...full refund(30 day)...got this 1 for $430...good deal

VERY nice!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
$430, killer deal. If I could find one for that price I'd buy another one. It looks like the 970 will be the last decent TV made. SED is stuck in court battles for the foreseeable future and LCD and plasma just don't do it for me. There's some open box 970s at CC for $569, not that great a deal when I paid $599 with free shipping for the one I have. They are probably the 2 I returned with problems.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, tomarow the service guy is suppost to show up for repairs. I doubt he's going to do much of anything, but if he cant fix it, then he has to, via the terms of my contract, replace it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I missed the boat as far as getting this set as the XBR970 dosn't have "fine pitch" crt. Does anybody have a clue to where I can get one? I'll take one in any condition(as long as crt-ok), as brother in repair business. I've been searching the net but no luck. I live in the New England area.

As far as repairs go, my brother told me that these sets will be repairable for some length of time, as long as tech is qualified to do so-not easy sets to troubleshoot.

Thanks for any leads..........Willy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking for the XBR960, which is probably a 2005 model. Are the XS955 series older? They use same CRT -less bells and whistles.

I guess its going to take some detective work to find one!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Willy368, you're not going to have any luck finding a 960/955 new-in-box. Best Buy and other retail chains may have either of these sets used ("open-box"), but I wouldn't waste your time checking them out. Generally, they have them priced way too high and the sets are in terrible condition (YMMV). I would suggest checking Craigslist for anyone selling one locally.

2161 - 2180 of 3325 Posts