AVS Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 3325 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx211 /forum/post/0

update:

For those reading this thread in the future. Several posts by the individual in discussion have now been deleted. The comment that currently follows this post was originally in response to that individuals attempt at justification, and now, subsequently deleted post.

I'm a newcomer and would be interested in an objective opinion about the 970 - especially compared to the 960. I have an opportunity locally to purchase a 970 NIB at a good price, but being a budding videophile, I don't want to be dissatisfied with it (or myself) when a good deal on a well-cared-for 960 comes around. Would someone mind briefly summarizing those deleted remarks? I'd appreciate the input.

CPJ

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a question for all you "old school" gamers who own this tv.

Since the XBR970 is a widescreen tv, I've set all my gaming consoles (Xbox, Wii, PS2) to display in widescreen. Is that gonna mess up how my game looks if I choose to play a game in 4:3? In other words, if I know I prefer to play a certain game in 4:3, would it be best to set my game console to 4:3, or will the XBR970 handle all the geomety no matter what my console setting? I ask because I could swear that my 4:3 game characters look a bit too long and skinny when I play now - not like I remember them. I will experiment more when I get home, but I wanted to ask ya'llzez opinion.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasxl4 /forum/post/0

I'm a newcomer and would be interested in an objective opinion about the 970 - especially compared to the 960. I have an opportunity locally to purchase a 970 NIB at a good price, but being a budding videophile, I don't want to be dissatisfied with it (or myself) when a good deal on a well-cared-for 960 comes around. Would someone mind briefly summarizing those deleted remarks? I'd appreciate the input.

CPJ

It's very, VERY unlikely you're even going to find a used 960. With that said, I'd easily recommend the 970. There's not a 1080p LCD that can touch the overall PQ the 970 produces.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWisconsin97 /forum/post/0

It's very, VERY unlikely you're even going to find a used 960. With that said, I'd easily recommend the 970. There's not a 1080p LCD that can touch the overall PQ the 970 produces.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, but that doesn't answer the question... I'd like to know Glen said about it.

Additionally, it's not that hard for me. I'm now working in the industry and come across someone upgrading from a 960 to a different technology every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for your vote of confidence, but that doesn't answer the question... I'd like to know Glen said about it.

Additionally, it's not that hard for me. I'm now working in the industry and come across someone upgrading from a 960 to a different technology every once in a while.

Whoa, now, re-read your own post...you didnt specifically say you only wanted to know Glen's opinion.

As best I remember, he praised the true 1080x1440 resolution of the set. But, as most higher-resolution CRTs, it tends to be darker than the 970. While it has more features (and inputs) it tends to suffer from more piddling problems like individual board failures. So, higher quality picture but lower average reliability than the 970.

I doubt anyone saved a cache of his deleted comments or remembers them verbatim, but you could try searching the 960 thread for more input.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestarav /forum/post/0

I have a question for all you "old school" gamers who own this tv.

Since the XBR970 is a widescreen tv, I've set all my gaming consoles (Xbox, Wii, PS2) to display in widescreen. Is that gonna mess up how my game looks if I choose to play a game in 4:3? In other words, if I know I prefer to play a certain game in 4:3, would it be best to set my game console to 4:3, or will the XBR970 handle all the geomety no matter what my console setting? I ask because I could swear that my 4:3 game characters look a bit too long and skinny when I play now - not like I remember them. I will experiment more when I get home, but I wanted to ask ya'llzez opinion.

I can only answer for the Xbox, but I've done a LOT of experimenting with it. I have my screen size setting on the 970 at:

Full

On

Normal

Try this, coupled with your current Widescreen setting on your Xbox and see if the TV does a good job at displaying widescreen and 4:3 games correctly. I've discovered a bunch of Xbox games that are programmed in widescreen, even though they dont say so on the game cases.

As best I can surmise, there is some code in each game disc that tells the Xbox console what aspect ratios and resolutions are available for that game. With all resolutions plus Widescreen selected "on", the console then reads the disc code and selects the highest available option and outputs that to the TV.

Now a question for you...have you noticed Xbox games look AWFUL when outputted at 480p? For some reason they look horrible on my 970, with jagged lines and poor definition. If i turn 480p off, the same games look great in 480i. No amount of fiddling with the TV makes them nice in progressive for some reason. 720p games look awesome though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmmm...

Thanks for the additional info. I'm not concerned about the whites - I care about the blacks (and resolution). Even a 20% reduction in total luminance isn't as large a difference when it comes to perceived brightness. The possible lack of reliability is notable - I'll have to thoroughly weigh both sides. I've heard mostly good thoughts from those of us who are users, but haven't seen a whole lot from the pros. I've been through most of this thread, but not with a fine-toothed comb yet. I'll keep looking.

Your opening comment shows that you like to start arguments by victimizing yourself to another individual's purported 'hostility.' I had just thanked the individual who responded to me, even though my question wasn't answered. If I'm thanking someone, there is no hostility. That's why I have already thanked you as well - to show that I'm not being hostile. Most people on BBs have the same problem - you read what others write about as well as you listen to what others speak. It really is a disappointing and bleak portrayal of the current state of intellectual affairs.

I started by quoting nx who mentioned a deleted post. I then asked if someone could 'repost' some of those original comments from the deleted item. The deleted item mentioned by nx was, in fact, written by GlenC. Thus, I was asking about GlenC's post which I have not had the opportunity to read. So, again, would someone be so kind as to summarily describe GlenC's deleted comments (without starting a fire)? Glen? nx? anyone?

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:

Hmmm...

Thanks for the additional info. I'm not concerned about the whites - I care about the blacks (and resolution). Even a 20% reduction in total luminance isn't as large a difference when it comes to perceived brightness. The possible lack of reliability is notable - I'll have to thoroughly weigh both sides. I've heard mostly good thoughts from those of us who are users, but haven't seen a whole lot from the pros. I've been through most of this thread, but not with a fine-toothed comb yet. I'll keep looking.

Your opening comment shows that you like to start arguments by victimizing yourself to another individual's purported 'hostility.' I had just thanked the individual who responded to me, even though my question wasn't answered. If I'm thanking someone, there is no hostility. That's why I have already thanked you as well - to show that I'm not being hostile. Most people on BBs have the same problem - you read what others write about as well as you listen to what others speak. It really is a disappointing and bleak portrayal of the current state of intellectual affairs.

I started by quoting nx who mentioned a deleted post. I then asked if someone could 'repost' some of those original comments from the deleted item. The deleted item mentioned by nx was, in fact, written by GlenC. Thus, I was asking about GlenC's post which I have not had the opportunity to read. So, again, would someone be so kind as to summarily describe GlenC's deleted comments (without starting a fire)? Glen? nx? anyone?

Why not just contact Glen? Second, why not go do some searching on the 960 forum, and ask some questions over there.

There's a few users, who I don't recall of the top of my head who own BOTH the 960 and 970 who could further help you out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Here's a suggestion, why don't you PM your questions directly to GlenC? You two seem to have a great deal in common, and should get along quite well.

EDIT: Oops, you beat me to the punch, UWisconsin97. Great minds think alike, eh?

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir /forum/post/0

Here's a suggestion, why don't you PM your questions directly to GlenC? You two seem to have a great deal in common, and should get along quite well.

EDIT: Oops, you beat me to the punch, UWisconsin97. Great minds think alike, eh?

ROFL!
Too funny man..

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:

Hmmm...

"start arguments"..."victimizing yourself"..."state of intellectual affairs"...giggle giggle.

How about you search for your own answers? None of us Neanderthals can possibly satisfy your lofty expectations of "intellectual affairs."

Prick. (Now that's hostility).

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else experiences a "hum" coming from inside of their their 970's cabinet?

I first noticed it when listening through headphones. It sounded just like the kind of hum the old 1960's TV's used to make. So I unplugged the set for a half-hour. When I plugged it back in, the set powered on automatically, and the hum was gone. About a week later the sound came back again, but leaving the set unplugged worked to get rid of it.

I figured it might be static electricity coming from the roof antenna (I use the set for OTA broadcasts only). So I installed a ground block. After grounding the antenna cable, I plugged the TV back in, but it did not power up automatically. I don't know why, since it did before.

So anyway, the humming sound from the audio outputs has not come back so far (knocks on wood). However, now I notice a slight hum coming from the inside of the TV when it's powered on. So my question is:

Is this slight humming sound from inside the case normal for the set? It's pretty faint but I can hear it from anywhere in the room if the sound is turned down.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've never heard any humming from my TV. I do hear what sounds like a relay click sometimes, when the set is off and on both. I was a little worried about the click at first, but it's been a couple of months of the TV doing it and it hasn't affected performance, so I guess it's no big deal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks! It's probably best not to worry too much about things like humming or clicking, as long as everything else works OK.

I also have a Panasonic CRT that used to make the most annoying high pitched "eeeeeeee" sound coming from inside the set. It eventually quit doing this on its own about a year ago, and nothing broke, and the sound has not come back. "Growing pains"? Evil spirits? Who knows? CRT's can behave quite strangely sometimes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sami,

That sounds like a component failure(cap)in set.Good news,set new to have that type of problem.Being intermittent possibility of bad connection in ckt-bang set(lightly)@rear and see if you can reproduce hum.Most likely poor connection w/cables-check and reseat any audio cables you have in system.

If you have any ckt probs, it will get worse(parts don't get better) and become solid. Don't worry as TV has 2yr warranty P+L.

Again, try tapping set around A/V board area and bottom(chassis area) and see if it comes and goes. Don't worry about hitting it too hard as these sets are solid. Good luck......Willy

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir /forum/post/0

I was wondering if anyone else experiences a "hum" coming from inside of their their 970's cabinet?

I first noticed it when listening through headphones. It sounded just like the kind of hum the old 1960's TV's used to make. So I unplugged the set for a half-hour. When I plugged it back in, the set powered on automatically, and the hum was gone. About a week later the sound came back again, but leaving the set unplugged worked to get rid of it.

I figured it might be static electricity coming from the roof antenna (I use the set for OTA broadcasts only). So I installed a ground block. After grounding the antenna cable, I plugged the TV back in, but it did not power up automatically. I don't know why, since it did before.

So anyway, the humming sound from the audio outputs has not come back so far (knocks on wood). However, now I notice a slight hum coming from the inside of the TV when it's powered on. So my question is:

Is this slight humming sound from inside the case normal for the set? It's pretty faint but I can hear it from anywhere in the room if the sound is turned down.

No, I only hear a little audio pop when changing channels, and the loud "gonk" from the degauss when powering on. It's funny, because my Mistubishi PC monitor started making a hum noise the other day too. I've learned to wait until things like that break before worrying about them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah I agree. The absolute worst thing I could do would be to freak out and call a service tech, get the run around, and then decide take the back of the TV off and start poking around in there myself.

I'm definitely leaving it alone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anybody have it on this TV where you're watching a DVD and the top black bar kind of droops slightly on the left? I also think my bottom bar kind or rises up in the middle slightly too. These aren't huge problems, but it would be nice to fix them and get them perfectly straight. Of course with a CRT that's practically impossible, but we can all dream, right?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck100 /forum/post/0

Anybody have it on this TV where you're watching a DVD and the top black bar kind of droops slightly on the left? I also think my bottom bar kind or rises up in the middle slightly too. These aren't huge problems, but it would be nice to fix them and get them perfectly straight. Of course with a CRT that's practically impossible, but we can all dream, right?

I've noticed a touch of downward horizontal bowing on the upper ridge of both sides of my picture. I have browsed topics like this on the 970 board and read conflicting information about whether or not it can be fixed. The majority of what I hear is "vertical geometry: fixable, horizontal: not".

I'm so happy with so many other qualities of this set, that I'm going to live with it.

2181 - 2200 of 3325 Posts