AVS Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 3325 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've been through three 970s, they all sloped down a little on the upper left side. I went through three Sanyo widescreen HDTVs before the Sony, they all did it too. I'm thinking it's just widescreen CRT tVs.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The bend in the lower middle could probably be fixed. But it will require a trip to the service menu and quite a bit of time and patience, both from you as well as from the person explaining how to do it.

The bend in the corner is pretty typical though, and I know of no way to fix that. It might be made less noticeable, but probably not eliminated.

If you could post a picture that would be helpful.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/0

I've noticed a touch of downward horizontal bowing on the upper ridge of both sides of my picture. I have browsed topics like this on the 970 board and read conflicting information about whether or not it can be fixed. The majority of what I hear is "vertical geometry: fixable, horizontal: not".

I'm so happy with so many other qualities of this set, that I'm going to live with it.

Please don't be scared off by what you read here concerning horizontal bowing. My horizontal issue was similar to yours, and all a tech had to do was remove the back and adjust a certain part (the yoke, maybe?). The adhesive that holds the part in question expands and contracts as the tv is used, and "slippage" might eventually occur. When people say you're boned with horizontal issues, I think they mean that it can't be solved in the service menu. But a tech who knows his stuff can certainly help you out. Don't rest until you get the picture you want!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The best thing that I do is monkey around with the service menu to get as close to straight as possible. It's not 100%, but it makes a difference. Look at it this way, better to have a bar be screwed up than to have the picture itself be screwed up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if anyone still reads this thread...first, thanks for the calibration numbers...TV looks great!!

My problem is...I seem to have a green line that shows up around the edge of anything black...with the new settings it is not as pronounced but still there. Is there any thing I can do to fix it...I'm thinking in the service menu?

cheers

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've got the same thing on my TV. I returned one that was twice as bad as the one I have now. I've tried everything in the SM, the only things that help is turning the brightness up to an unacceptable level, adjusting the RDOF down, or the RCOF up, or both. Without any test patterns I haven't been able to find an acceptable place for the settings to be, so I've given into the fact that I'll just have to live with it.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal /forum/post/0

Parts can surely still be found for a TV that was only discontinued a few months ago. I was talking to a Sony rep a couple of months ago about getting the 970 repaired if something went wrong, he said there are plenty of parts, he said they still have Beta parts.

I'm way behind on this conversation, but the tech who just visited me said that, by law, a company must provide tv parts for repairs up to 7 years form the manufacture date. That's good news. I plan to extend my warranty to total 7 years soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow XBR owners,

my XBR 970 often displays a large wave-like green distortion when very vivid red images appear on screen. Generally the image has to be moving although it has appeared with static backgrounds. This will at times cover the entire screen when background is entirely red. This does not occur all the time. Watching the animated movie Cars with red race car flashing by seemed to aggravate it a lot.

It never appears on more subtle pictures with less vivid color.

Help!

·
Registered
860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestarav /forum/post/11335319

I'm way behind on this conversation, but the tech who just visited me said that, by law, a company must provide tv parts for repairs up to 7 years form the manufacture date. That's good news. I plan to extend my warranty to total 7 years soon.

I'm going to add an extra 5 years to mine soon too. For $85 it's well worth it. All the decent TVs are gone, so I want to keep this thing around as long as I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I plan to buy a house in hopefully six months. If the 970 gets calibrated now, when I move will I have to get it calibrated again? I do not like to waste money. The bumpy ride concerns me. Also, do any of you know anyone who can calibrate the 970 for me? I live in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Thank You

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlover /forum/post/11366643

Hi, I plan to buy a house in hopefully six months. If the 970 gets calibrated now, when I move will I have to get it calibrated again? I do not like to waste money. The bumpy ride concerns me. Also, do any of you know anyone who can calibrate the 970 for me? I live in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Thank You

No, you won't need to recalibrate after the move. If you didn't save the box the 970 came in, you can use multiple blankets wrapped/tapped around the TV to help in the aid of the move. Bubble wrap and some shipping supplies will also help.

ISF calibration will last years, regardless of where you move it. ISF calibration starts at/around $225 depending on your location. Although I haven't found this to be true, I have seen places charge $275-$300 to calibrate CRT's. If you have a Magnolia HT in a local Best Buy, they do it for $300 if you cannot find someone to do it.

I don't know anyone in that area, but here's a link to help start your search.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586330

(click the ISF links at the top of this link)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...cat96200050037

-Nick

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/11378241

Hoo boy...upon further review, Inputs 1-3 are all gone. That includes my S-video, so no Dreamcast fun until it's fixed. Video will flash for a split second upon startup, then dead. Looks like a fuse or transistor popped.

Based on my service manual, it appears something on the UZ board (the A/V input switch board) took a dump. Maybe IC1502. The whole board looks to run around $50, which might be the smart thing to do considering I don't solder.

I'm shocked that you haven't mentioned calling Sony for in-house warranty service. Are your 2 years up?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ya'll,

I finally got a PS3 and hooked it up with an HDMI cable to input 6. Since the HDMI cable transfers video AND audio, I was wondering what the extra RCA inputs for L and R are for on this set.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivestarav /forum/post/11385763

Ya'll,

I finally got a PS3 and hooked it up with an HDMI cable to input 6. Since the HDMI cable transfers video AND audio, I was wondering what the extra RCA inputs for L and R are for on this set.

If DVI (physically converted to HDMI video) is used as an input, L/R audio inputs would still be required.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry folks its been a while since i used the service menu.

how do you save changes once you have made them to the service menu.

turning the tv off doesnt save them

thanks,

danny

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii /forum/post/11386377

If DVI (physically converted to HDMI video) is used as an input, L/R audio inputs would still be required.

Gotcha. Thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, I love....LOVE...my XBR970, but mine also has a couple of subtle geometrical bows. After much delay I've decided to call a tech to look at it this upcoming Monday. It's not a huge deal. But since I DID purchase the service plan, I may as well put it to use. If it can be adjusted a bit more straight, I'll be satisfied.

2201 - 2220 of 3325 Posts