AVS Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 3325 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck100 /forum/post/11419571

Just curious on what settings you guys have for the vertical center, size, and tilt correction stuff.

What I have done is make the vertical size at the highest level (7 I think) while keeping the vertical center at zero. With this the images on the TV don't look so stretched out on wide zoom and basically this helps make the picture look like a normal picture would on a 4:3 TV.

I went into the service menu and adjusted the horizontal so that there's a little over an inch of black bars on both sides in wide zoom, that way there's not that annoying stretching at the edges of the screen and everything looks right with minimal stretching either way.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So i calibrated my xbr970 all day today. It sucked. FIrst off i figured i'd take out the HDMI and calibrate my cable box input since it uses component cables using my dvd player right? Well after getting overscan just where i wanted it and doing numerous other tweaks, i unplug the dvd player and hook it back up to hdmi and get ready to recalibrate the hdmi. I spent hours going though all the screen resolutions, getting everything to my liking. So i plug my HD cable box back into the component input and guess what? overscan was way off! wtf? does every piece of equipment give different overscan readings or what? xbox 360 was different then the dvd player, even though i was using the same damn input. I also had NO settings on the dvd player set to anything cept default, no screen enhancements or anything.

Makes me wonder who else has false overscan readings? I ended up just putting on a hd channel and doing overscan that way for all the resolutions. Moved the picture until i saw the raster egdges, then backed off and evened everything out. Sooo much picture was being cut off on my HD cable, even though my dvd player was telling me otherwise using the overscan pattern. It was easily noticeable doing it this way. Only problem i ran into was doing overscan on the top for 480i/p sooo much noise on the top of the screen in that mode when watching TV so i had to go a little higher than i wanted to just to cover that up.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You can set overscan for each mode using the MID2 settings. They aren't input specific, but they are mode specific, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i. Normal is seperate from full, zoom and wide zoom, which are all the same. Horizontal expand is seperate in both modes too, 720p, 1080i. I would guess vertical expand is seperate too, but I didn't mess with that one since I don't see any use for it. The horizontal expand was cutting 3-4 inches off both sides on my TV, I have no idea why.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yea i know, thats what i use for my finishing touches (mid 2) once i already tweaked HPOS/VPOS etc. What i meant was i wonder how many other people calibrated overscan using there dvd player, then used the same settings they got for there cable thinking they are the same, cause as i've found out they are way off, well they were on my set. 3% overscan calibrated to my dvd player was like 5% when i switched back to the cable box using the same input and same component cables.

·
Registered
504 Posts
So there is no solution to this dilemma? I guess I have the same problem but I only have a DVD player over HDMI and the built in tuner to worry about. I say I guess, because I'm afraid to even look.

So am I correct in assuming that the only way to deal with this is to compromise between the various inputs?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Unless thats just what 3% overscan looks like on my HDcable box. Like i said though a LOT of the picture was missing, and then when i checked to see what the overscan looked like on my xbox 360 (instead of other dvd player) using the same input and component cables it was off on that too. So i went into service mode while watching cable ( i have a seperate set top box, i don't use the TV's built in tuner) I did the overscan while watching to get more picture. Point is i was getting 3 different overscan readings using the same component input but using different devices. So which one is right i wonder! Makes no sense to me. I have everything perfect right now though, but i was tweaking for hours.

·
Registered
674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir /forum/post/11431340

So there is no solution to this dilemma? I guess I have the same problem but I only have a DVD player over HDMI and the built in tuner to worry about. I say I guess, because I'm afraid to even look.

So am I correct in assuming that the only way to deal with this is to compromise between the various inputs?

I'm telling you bro! watch TV and while you do look at like the NBC logo, or a scroll, then mess with mid 2 settings like "DHVP and DHVS" to move the picture around inside the raster and you will see how much more picture there actually is. Especially on the HD channels. Then again you use the built in tuner, so maybe it's fine for you. I have my dvd player (hdmi set to 2 % overscan, my xbox 360 using component is at around 3% and my cable box,(using component cables) no clue since i did it by eye :p , so i tweaked it so it's right over the edge ( went to the point where i could see the end of the screen, then moved it a few clicks) so i'm guessing it's at around 2% Hope this makes sense, this is really hard for me to explain for some reason :p I think my brain melted from my all day service mode fun.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Some type of pattern makes it easier. If you just set to as little overscan as possible everywhere, it may not be right proportionally. I've noticed that the picture stretches a little horizontally as it moves out from the center of the screen, at least on my TV, so if everything is set to as little overscan as possible, the center is compressed horizontally. I used the THX circles and a ruler to get it right in all modes, it worked pretty good.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I use the Avia overscan pattern. Yea that happens with the compressing/ stretching,especially when using the mid2 settings such as the "stretching" ones like DHHS/ DHVS but then you can adjust the Horizontal and Vertical Linearity settings to fix that (vlin,vsco)

·
Registered
504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal /forum/post/11431848

Some type of pattern makes it easier. If you just set to as little overscan as possible everywhere, it may not be right proportionally. I've noticed that the picture stretches a little horizontally as it moves out from the center of the screen, at least on my TV, so if everything is set to as little overscan as possible, the center is compressed horizontally. I used the THX circles and a ruler to get it right in all modes, it worked pretty good.

I have noticed the same thing. So if I understand you correctly, a properly adjusted 970 screen will have slightly more overscan on the right and left sides than on the top and bottom? Correct?

If so, that's how my 970 seems to be. I find it especially noticeable on 4 x 3 material.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's how it is on my TV, more overscan on the sides than top and bottom to keep everything proportioned right. The THX circles and a ruler should tell you if it's right, the circle should be perfectly round. It worked for me. I use wide zoom for 4x3 sources. I've got a little bit of black bars on the sides to eliminate horizontal stretching. Hopefully if something goes wrong with the TV under warranty whoever fixes it won't see that and refuse to fix it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, that was a bust.

The Sears tech came by to look at the slight geometric bows and he was a perfectly nice gentleman. But I knew I was in trouble when he started to explain to me how to change "aspect ratios" on my TV. When he finally realized what I was talking about, he explained it as a "pin cushion" effect that occurs because of how the tube conforms to the widescreen of the TV. He explained that the only real way to fix it is to replace some part inside the TV. He did say it might be possible to make adjustments through the service menu but that could also make things worse in other areas.

So basically, nothing was done. It was never that big a deal because it's not really that noticeable (in fact, there was no way of showing him what I was talking about because nothing was panning across the screen). But since I had the service plan, I thought it would be a good idea for him to take a look. He did say the TV looked as good or better than he's seen from most tube TV's...so that's something, I guess.

Still...the worst part was I was asked to wait between the hours of 8 AM to 5 PM...and he didn't show until around 3 PM! A whole day basically wasted.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Even when i didn't try adjusting by eye and put like straight piece of paper, or a ruler (since the eye can lie about whats straight) to help me straighten the lines, No matter what those lines DO NOT and never will get straight. That left corner has a mind of it's own, yea the middle of the line straightens or bends when adjusting, then it turns into a wave.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Crappy pic but it was the best i could take At the moment. That top left corner, i can't stand it. If adjust vcen/vpin anymore then the middle of the line bends down or up creating a wavy line. Has to be a combo of other geo settings that should help the problem, cause vcen and vpin aint cutting it. I just don't look forward to messing with everything again cause i have my picture pretty even all around. Plus it's pretty much unfixable, but i'm sure it can be made to look less bad.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm really starting to think it's the direction i have my TV facing, since that can affect geometry. It would also explain why i'm only having issues with the top left corner. I'm not about to move this TV to find out though :p It's not noticeable at all CEPT when viewing a test pattern, or the info panel (display) along with the menu of my HD box as i can see the bowing. But i know it's there, and hate knowing it's like that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Another thing i notice is sometimes this TV doesn't recognize my dvd player in the HDMI input! and just shows a black screen for Video 6, even when the dvd player is on. A few power off/ons fixes this.

·
Registered
674 Posts
LOL guys wtf! after reading some posts i missed i was wondering why did you attack GlenC like that? You do know he is professional calibrator right? and has worked on these same TV's before? I admit though, i got into an argument with him early on ( only cause i wanted to know some calibrator secrets :p) But what you guys said is just childish! I own a xbr970, (have so for the past few months) i know all about it and read up. Getting mad cause somebody says the TV isn't a High resolution display, then thinking that he means it's crap? This TV is cheap for a reason, (besides being discontinued, 960 was also discontinued :p) you get what you paid for. It's not the "holy grail" of displays, otherwise i think more people would own one. The 960 still goes for a way higher price USED if you can find people who sell it LOL the 970 does not! Anybody who knows jack about TV's knows why. So you n00bs should do some research before thinking you scored a great HD TV at a small price. I know i got what i paid for! EDTV and nothing more.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayPigeon /forum/post/11440737

LOL guys wtf! after reading some posts i missed i was wondering why did you attack GlenC like that? You do know he is professional calibrator right? and has worked on these same TV's before? I admit though, i got into an argument with him early on ( only cause i wanted to know some calibrator secrets :p) But what you guys said is just childish! I own a xbr970, (have so for the past few months) i know all about it and read up. Getting mad cause somebody says the TV isn't a High resolution display, then thinking that he means it's crap? This TV is cheap for a reason, (besides being discontinued, 960 was also discontinued :p) you get what you paid for. It's not the "holy grail" of displays, otherwise i think more people would own one. The 960 still goes for a way higher price USED if you can find people who sell it LOL the 970 does not! Anybody who knows jack about TV's knows why. So you n00bs should do some research before thinking you scored a great HD TV at a small price. I know i got what i paid for! EDTV and nothing more.

If you have EDTV, I must have EDTV on 'juice.. this thing is rocking..

There's still not a LCD I'd buy over this TV. I just recently helped two friends get LCD's (one 32" Olevia [$499] and one 32" Samsung [$1099]) and neither TV's overall PQ is close to my 970.

And it's by FAR the "Holy Grail" of TV's under a $1,000 for sure. I also wouldn't doubt if these 970's are better than TV's for $1,500.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Uwisconsin! been a long time man! Man though come on! jacked as compared to what? What TV did you have before this? a crappy 27 inch like me? Of course it's way better than that! But this is NOT the best TV i have ever seen. I have seen much better looking displays then this!

2241 - 2260 of 3325 Posts