AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, recently purchased this receiver. Very happy with it just got a question - can you save the sound field used for each input? For example when i switch between 'TV' to 'GAME' and back to 'TV' the sound field will have changed back to HD DCS when I want it set to AFD auto for this input and keep it like that without it reverting back when I switch between inputs!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanrh  /t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread#post_22223773

Hello all, recently purchased this receiver. Very happy with it just got a question - can you save the sound field used for each input? For example when i switch between 'TV' to 'GAME' and back to 'TV' the sound field will have changed back to HD DCS when I want it set to AFD auto for this input and keep it like that without it reverting back when I switch between inputs!

G'day Duncan, I have also recently bought a DH820 and have just set it up. As far as I can see, the sound field for each input is automatically saved whenever selected. I selected a suitable sound field for each of my five inputs, and whenever I go to a particular input, the previously selected sound field is still there.

Changing the subject slightly, I have programmed my DH820 remote to control all of my devices (which are Sony Bravia sync.), and when I got the hang of it, using the one remote control for everything works brilliantly. However, my Hard Disc Recorder is an HDT1000 and on its own remote control it has an "INFO" button exactly where the GUI button is on the DH820 remote. There doesn't seem to be an "INFO" button on the DH820 remote. There are two remote control models, the RM-AA061 for USA and Canada and the RM-AA062 for elsewhere. On the RM-AA061 remote, button #20 is shown in the Manual as displaying information. But with my RM-AA062 remote (because Australia is elsewhere) this function does not display information. Is there anyone who has any idea of how to get "info" if we don't live in USA or Canada?

·
Registered
6 Posts
And another thing that someone might be able to help with. It is the "stuck on zone 2" issue.

If you inadvertently press the ZONE button, thereby activating zone 2, page 67 of the manual says how to "exit the zone 2 operation" by pressing ZONE then the main green standby button.

Well, this does not fix the problem, as others have discovered and reported on various other forums around the internet. It seems that it is the remote control that gets stuck on zone 2, not the amplifier.

The claimed "fix" is to remove the batteries from the remote, press every button once and then replace the batteries. This does fix the immediate problem, but surely it is not satisfactory in the long term.

Does anyone have a better solution to the problem, or some way that the zone 2 function can be disabled? Thanks from Brian in Australia.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI MATE I HAD THE SAME PROB WITH THE ZONE STAYING ON AND HAVE NOW SORTED IT OUT AND HOPE THIS HELPS..............PRESS THE ZONE BUTTON THEN KEEP YOUR FINGER ON THE MAIN POWER BUTTON TILL THE ZONE LIGHT ON THE AMP GO,S OF WHEN IT GO,S OFF PRESS AND HOLD BOTH ...RM SETUP AND ..AVI POWER AFTER THE LIGHT COMES ON ON THE RM SETUP PRESS THE ENTER/MEM BUTTON AND THIS WILL PUT THE REMOTE BACK TO NORMAL OPP AND THE ZONE LIGHT ON THE AMP WILL BE GONE

·
Registered
25 Posts
In the last few months, I have turned the receiver "on" and get no sound output - this has only happened about five or six times and in each case if I turn the receiver "off" and then back "on" again all works as it should and sound is perfect. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergojm  /t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread#post_22330005

In the last few months, I have turned the receiver "on" and get no sound output - this has only happened about five or six times and in each case if I turn the receiver "off" and then back "on" again all works as it should and sound is perfect. Has this happened to anyone else?

G'day ergo,

I have frequently noticed the same thing. Actually, when there is no sound, if you look at the front of the receiver you'll notice that it has gone to MUTING.

You can unmute it, without having to turn it off and back on again, by pressing the mute button or either the + or - sound button. But this doesn't fix the issue because it goes to mute gain the next time you use the equipment when using the normal turn on procedure, which is hitting your selected white input button and then the small green button (to turn on the input equipment if Bravia synced).

I haven't figured out exactly what causes it, but I have noticed that this starting up muted thing occurs after you have been changing inputs back and forth, going in and out of GUI mode, or otherwise doing something out of the ordinary.

And you are correct, the only way of getting the receiver to snap out of this is to turn it off then on again using the large green button ............... until next time it happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First posting so apologies if it's in the wrong place. Can anyone advise on how to prioritise the HDMI signals for pass through. EG .we generally watch TV through a Humax which would be the default HDMI for pass thru with the second HDMI channel ( Sony PS3) used occasionally for DVDS and Net browsing (iplayer etc) . Can the unit be set to default to the Humax as the Pass thru channel or does the sony work on the basis of which channel is active in other word do we have to turn off the HDMI input that is not required for pass thru.

many thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
First posting so apologies if it's in the wrong place. Can anyone advise on how to prioritise the HDMI signals for pass through. EG .we generally watch TV through a Humax which would be the default HDMI for pass thru with the second HDMI channel ( Sony PS3) used occasionally for DVDS and Net browsing (iplayer etc) . Can the unit be set to default to the Humax as the Pass thru channel or does the sony work on the basis of which channel is active in other word do we have to turn off the HDMI input that is not required for pass thru.

many thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
G'day Bouncy,

I having a bit of trouble understanding your question, but for example, if your Humax is connected to SAT/CATV and the Sony PS3 is connected to GAME, you just press the relevant input button to select the input you want. And what you have selected lights up on the front panel display off the DH820.

And as for HDMI pass through, the "default" HDMI input is the last one you had selected. If you are looking at TV and have SAT/CATV selected, and turn off the DH820, then later turn the DH820 back on, it comes up on SAT/CATV.

Actually you can have all four HDMI inputs connected to different equipment that is switched on, and only the input for the button you have pressed (and shows on the front display panel) passes through to your TV/monitor. You don't have to turn the others off.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've got a strange problem with my set up. I have a virgin media tivo box plugged in to the amp via hdmi. This outputs to an LG LCD tv via hdmi. When the tv is on standby (so no pictures) HD channels play in Dolby digital. When the tv is turned on it changes to LPCM. As soon as I turn the tv off again it goes back to the dolby signal.

I do not get the same problem with my Sony blu ray player (I can have the tv on & have surround sound at the same time with blu-ray)

Any ideas?

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I've recently acquired one of these. I have a question which I really hope someone can help with!

My setup is basically that I have about 3 consoles, a Sky box and a laptop connected to it at all times, and it does a great job of this. However, the only thing annoying me at the moment is that I can't find a way to have sound coming out of one input and video coming from another. For example - I want to be able to play on my PS3 and listen to music through my laptop or, preferably, my ipod at the same time. I have come across a couple of ways to change the audio options associated with each input but they only cover the associated connections, which are either the optical or HDMI. Anyone have any ideas? Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks!

V

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all

I recently bought the STR-DH820, great spec for a great price. I previously had an STR-DB900 hooked up to an SA-FT3H 6.1 speaker system. Lovely set-up with a slim line amp and very slim wall-mounted speakers. Unfortunately the power supply died on the amp so took the opportunity to upgrade to an amp with HDMI switching.

Everything runs fine with these speakers attached, except the subwoofer refuses to go into standby when the amp is put in standby. I don't believe I have an issue with zones or with the sub, since it used to go into standby easily with the previous amp. It's almost as if the amp continues to send a signal when in standby mode. I've tried both sub sockets.

Any suggestions? The supplier suggested turning down the output to the sub and increasing the sub output, but as expected that had no effect, since the problem is not when it's on, it's when it's off.

Thanks for any clues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FWIW, my Polk sub goes into standby fine when the Sony is off...sorry you are having a problem. Always hard to troubleshoot if you can't swap components around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've have searched as best I could and can't seem to find an answer, so I was hoping that someone could help me. I have the sony str-dh820. All components are connected to it by hdmi cables and one going out to the tv. My problem is that while using the bluray player to play a cd the sound will stop if I turn off the tv. I think I was able to do this with my old sony rear projection tv, but I just purchased a samsung 46eh6000 led tv and can't seem to do it. Is it because using the bluray it thinks that there must be a picture? I really don't want to have to leave the tv on listen to music. Any suggestions?

I was able to seach this forum to properly set up the str-820 when I purchased it. It took a few hours of reading, but I don't think I would have been able to do it without this forum. Thank you.

·
Registered
676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorByte5  /t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread/30#post_22656432

Hi all

I recently bought the STR-DH820, great spec for a great price. I previously had an STR-DB900 hooked up to an SA-FT3H 6.1 speaker system. Lovely set-up with a slim line amp and very slim wall-mounted speakers. Unfortunately the power supply died on the amp so took the opportunity to upgrade to an amp with HDMI switching.

Everything runs fine with these speakers attached, except the subwoofer refuses to go into standby when the amp is put in standby. I don't believe I have an issue with zones or with the sub, since it used to go into standby easily with the previous amp. It's almost as if the amp continues to send a signal when in standby mode. I've tried both sub sockets.

Any suggestions? The supplier suggested turning down the output to the sub and increasing the sub output, but as expected that had no effect, since the problem is not when it's on, it's when it's off.

Thanks for any clues.
just curious does your sub have a phase switch and did you try it?

many have a 180 degree phase, it may be picking up a 60hz hum and the phase switch may stop it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me? I have a STR-DH820 connected to a Wharfedale 5.1 speaker system in the lounge and hard wired to Bose ceiling speakers in the kitchen, which I've assigned as Speaker B in the GUI menu.

When playing the TV in Movie Mode, the Speaker B speakers always act like surround sound speakers - is this right? I thought assigning them as Speaker B would mean they play out the main front left and right speaker channels.

Oddly, when playing music through an Apple TV in music mode (PLII MS) the speakers behave as I thought they would, by playing left and right (although there does seem to be a lack of bass). Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Stephen

21 - 40 of 95 Posts