AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorByte5  /t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread/30#post_22656432

Hi all

I recently bought the STR-DH820, great spec for a great price. I previously had an STR-DB900 hooked up to an SA-FT3H 6.1 speaker system. Lovely set-up with a slim line amp and very slim wall-mounted speakers. Unfortunately the power supply died on the amp so took the opportunity to upgrade to an amp with HDMI switching.

Everything runs fine with these speakers attached, except the subwoofer refuses to go into standby when the amp is put in standby. I don't believe I have an issue with zones or with the sub, since it used to go into standby easily with the previous amp. It's almost as if the amp continues to send a signal when in standby mode. I've tried both sub sockets.

Any suggestions? The supplier suggested turning down the output to the sub and increasing the sub output, but as expected that had no effect, since the problem is not when it's on, it's when it's off.

Thanks for any clues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeomas02  /t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread/30#post_22764467

I should say everything's connected via HDMI and I listen to the TV on AFD currently.
this may be the answer to terrorbyte's issue. in my 830 manual it says when in AFD mode the

amp sends a signal to the sub to turn on, but it does not send any sound....or something like that.

so maybe when your done listening you need to set the amp to another amp setting/or hdmi source

to change how it handles the sub.

just a thought.........

edit; when terrorbyte turns it off there may still be a signal being sent due to mode.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanrh  /t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread#post_22223773

Hello all, recently purchased this receiver. Very happy with it just got a question - can you save the sound field used for each input? For example when i switch between 'TV' to 'GAME' and back to 'TV' the sound field will have changed back to HD DCS when I want it set to AFD auto for this input and keep it like that without it reverting back when I switch between inputs!

I had this exact issue and solved it last night!

If you are using an ARC HDMI input on your TV the sound field will always switchback to the default SF when you change inputs.

To make this stop you need to use a non ARC HDMI input on your TV and then hook up a separate optical cable from your TV output to the TV optical input on the STRDH820.

I hope this helps, one extra cable is certainly worth not having to change the sound field every time you switch inputs!

edit: actually it seems that using anything with HDMI control turned on in the amps settings will reset to HDCS or whatever it is. So I've turned that off, PS3 still works via HDMI control from the TV through the AMP.

The one remaining issue I have which really annoys me is that you cant change the 820's input from your TV remote. If it did then I'd never have to use the 820's large clumsy remote (as volume and power is controlled from my Bravia sync kdl-46hx853.

Assume there isn't much I can do about that?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi not sure if anyone could help with this problem - STRDH820 connected to a playstation via HDMI and a Wii and Sky (not Sky HD) box both via component. Picture via the PS3 and Wii are fine, but the picture from the Sky box will be ok for a while and then the screen goes blank for a few seconds. The sound continues while the picture is blank and the picture always returns after a few seconds. This problem occurs at random times i.e it doesnt happen every 20 minutes, or when I have changed channel on Sky - this evening I was watching a film for about 1/2 hour before the screen went blank, then it did it again a few minutes later. Any suggestions would be welcomely received - thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR1970  /t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread/30#post_22902234

Hi not sure if anyone could help with this problem - STRDH820 connected to a playstation via HDMI and a Wii and Sky (not Sky HD) box both via component. Picture via the PS3 and Wii are fine, but the picture from the Sky box will be ok for a while and then the screen goes blank for a few seconds. The sound continues while the picture is blank and the picture always returns after a few seconds. This problem occurs at random times i.e it doesnt happen every 20 minutes, or when I have changed channel on Sky - this evening I was watching a film for about 1/2 hour before the screen went blank, then it did it again a few minutes later. Any suggestions would be welcomely received - thanks

You could try switching to the component the Wii is in to check that its not just that connection or plugging it directly into the TV to check it isnt that.

Also if you turn GUI mode on, move over to the inputs, press options, input assign and check that no other inputs are using that component COMP1 or COMP2 that may be conflicting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply Apoc - my 1st thought was a problem with the cable so connected it straight to the TV and it worked fine. I've checked the input assign and all looks ok. One thing i didnt mention was that the connection is a Skart to component cable (Sky box only has a Skart output), could this be a problem if it's ran through the receiver rather than direct to the tv (clutching at straws now i know)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would think that could be the problem as the amp doesn't support scart as far as i know... but i dont know enough about scarts to say for sure, sorry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone - thanks for taking the time to read this, my first post. I am very much a newbie here.

I received one of these receivers for Christmas and am having some real difficulty in setting up a couple of things.

One of the reasons for getting this is to be able to listen to surround sound music from SACD, DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray audio only discs. My two players are linked to the amp via HDMI.

The problem is that I can't get surround sound! I have the amp set for 'speakers A&B' and have pressed the AFD Switch but ...

Problem 1 - although the DVD-A player shows that it is playing 5 channels, I only get front left and right

Problem 2 - although the same player shows that my SACD discs are playing 5 channels, I get no sound at all

Problem 3 - I only get front right and left from playing a Blu-Ray audio only disc.

I guess there is something blindingly obvious that I am doing wrong, so please forgive me if these are stupid questions but I really would appreciate any help/advice/guidance anyone might be able to give.

Again, thank you for your time.

Best Wishes,

David

·
Registered
676 Posts
you will probably need a TV to view the GUI. once you have a TV to view hit the GUI MODE

button, go to settings and then there is a speaker selection you will need to find, page 63 in manual,

scroll through the speaker types and find the 5.1 selection.

if you have 4 and a sub woofer, I think I used 2.1 showing 4 speakers and sub.

I believe AFD should be off.

once the speaker type is set. you can try to auto calibrate your system.

it is just above the speaker choice.

connect up the supplied microphone in the best position you sit in or center it.

it should run a testing audio through all speakers you have selected, one at a time.

then you should be fine.

speaker selection and the testing is not covered in the manual that well.

hope that helps. you can always go back and from where yours gets set

adjust each speaker manually if one sounds off. you will see the levels that

were chosen by the auto calibration and adjust + or - from there.

it takes time and patience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
eeamon - many thanks for finding the time to help - it is appreciated.

I have gone through all of the steps for speaker selection and for auto calibration, all of which appears to be functioning as it should.

If I go with one of the movie preset options, I can get sound from all 5 speakers I have, but as soon as I try to use the amp for my music discs (DVD-A, SACD both from the same player and Blu-Ray from a separate player). the problems remain as in my previous post.

I press AFD and have the amp set for 'Speakers A & B'

I get no sound from the SACD discs, front L & R only from the DVD-A, both using a Denon player via HDMI. The Denon indicates it is outputting 5 channels for both type of disc.

On Blu-Ray disvs I get front R & L only from a separate Blu-Ray player.

Trying to find a solution to this is ageing me very quickly.

Any further help/advice/guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Best Wishes

David

·
Registered
9,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriatikfan  /t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread/30#post_22976999

If I go with one of the movie preset options, I can get sound from all 5 speakers I have, but as soon as I try to use the amp for my music discs (DVD-A, SACD both from the same player and Blu-Ray from a separate player). the problems remain as in my previous post.

I press AFD and have the amp set for 'Speakers A & B'

I get no sound from the SACD discs, front L & R only from the DVD-A, both using a Denon player via HDMI. The Denon indicates it is outputting 5 channels for both type of disc.

On Blu-Ray disvs I get front R & L only from a separate Blu-Ray player.

Trying to find a solution to this is ageing me very quickly.

Any further help/advice/guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Best Wishes

David

Hi adriatikfan, I don't believe the DH820 can process DSD signal. If your Denon player can decode the SACD and send it as multichannel PCM, then it should work. As for 2Ch (front L & R) sound issue, check receiver "HDMI Audio Out" is set to "Amp" and not "Tv + Amp" found under HDMI settings menu.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hello guys. If any of you don't mind I have a small question. I intend to buy this receiver and is my first one actually

I'd just like to know if it has the option to pass thru video without any processing going on, I believe some receivers have this option. I'm basically trying to keep input lag of games to a minimum.

·
Registered
558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon  /t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread/0_100#post_23036344

I have the 830 and it does.
Brilliant, thanks for replying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all - Please see below. Not sure which device is at fault so I'm posting this in a few areas. YouTube video explaining it all right here:

Having an tech issue: When initiating any type of playback on my Blu-Ray player, I'm encountering a brief dropout or adjustment on my Samsung TV (see video). I've been through the menus of all three devices:

-Receiver: Sony STR-DH820

-TV: Samsung PN51E7000

-Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-103

This issue happened identically with a previous Sony Blu-Ray player and Samsung TV set-up. This leads me to believe that it's either a receiver issue, a Samsung TV issue, or a settings issue (with any device) that I can't figure out.

Pretty standard set-up, HDMI from Blu-Ray to Rec, Rec to TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I get that drop out when I initiate play when the disc is first installed. but it did not do it

afterwards. just a hunch, but first you have the oppo set to 1080P out and the AVR

to pass through, correct. I thought maybe the AVR was processing the video up to

1080P and it was a pause by it while processing the video signal.....Bluray Disc right?

the AVR looks to have a slow processor if you view the gui.....

edit I have a panasonic BR to strdh-830 AVR to sony HX 850 display.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We installed the Sony DH820 3-4 months ago and all was fine until a few days ago when the audio and video periodically stops working. This lasts for about 5 seconds, then comes back on. This happens about every20 minutes. Tried resetting and tested the HDMI cable going to the TV. any advice is appreciated.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts