AVS Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
name="afrogt" url="/t/1357124/the-official-sony-str-dh820-thread/60#post_24469992"]It should work if you use the Video1, Sat/CATV, or BD/DVD input since they have analog inputs for audio.

[/quote]

Thank you for the speedy response!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got this receiver - so far, very happy with it. Granted, just getting into home theatre after ditching my soundbar. There is one thing Im pretty confused on, hoping someone can give advice and shed some light on this. I have been all over the forums and Google as well, trying not to waste anyones time.

My room set up isn't ideal for surround sound (nor are my kids), so Im running three speakers (Pioneer SP-FS52 on left and right, SP-C22 for center) with a Pioneer sub as well - all hooked up to the receiver. I feel pretty overwhelmed with the sound field options available, not sure what I should be running given my set up. Ive gone through several options (NEO, Multi Stereo, HD-DCS, etc;) and its really just difficult me to figure out which one is best, because feel like I could be missing something from these modes since I am not running a 5.1/7.1 set up. I did do the autocalibration with the supplied microphone, and my speaker setup in the menu does reflect 3/0.1 Could somebody please shed some light on what mode they believe would be best for me to run in, and any additional tweaks I should make? Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts

I know its been a long time but I hope you got a solution for the Sony STR_DG820 . Mine reads only LPCM all the time. regardless of the component. How do I switch back to DD?

·
Registered
7 Posts

On the sony amp I have, if you go to the hdmi setting it says control for hdmi off or on. When I have used the ON option, the sound is muted, I then press mute button on my remote to get sound back on. Having it on the OFF option doesn't mute it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Got this new AV last weekend and currently hooked up to 2 Mordaunt Short speakers and one passive 12" 1000 watts sub (had to remove from my car) - 

I was playing with it over the weekend listening to subwoofer tests and it knocked the AV into "Protection" mode.

I could not increase volume up past 6. Had to reset it and disconnect the sub - now works great.

Tot i share - 

·
Registered
1 Posts
adding an amp

I added an amp via RCA from zone 2 out and I cant get it to stream audio from my tv or blueray player. they are hooked up via HDMI. Will it only send the signal via analog?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Unfortunately, page 67 of the manual says "Only signals from equipment connected to the analog input jacks are output through the ZONE 2 OUT jacks. No signals are output from equipment connected to only the digital input jacks." So, just hook-up some analog leads to the equipment you want to send to Zone 2.

·
Registered
60 Posts
old thread, hopefully i'll get a response. this amp is hard to work with in my opinion. I finally got most things working, but i cannot get multi ch sound field to put sound out of surround speakers when using itunes. HDMI connection. All other programs (kodi/WMC) play 5.1 digitally. I know itunes will only pass 2 channel, but youtube, vlc, itunes, whatever the receiver should take 2ch and make a all channel stereo output with multi ch correct?
If i set the config on the win7 pc to only 2 speakers, then the multi channel out of the sony works. but not if i set it to 5.1 surround which i what i need for wmc/kodi.

odd. any ideas? i should add, playing an ipod from USB input on multi channel plays audio on all speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need help setting up patio speakers on my STR-DH820. I have the speakers on the surround back connections, but when I go to the GUI menu to SB Assign it won't let me select just the surround back as a configuration to set that config as my Speakers B.

Much thanks for any help.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Need help setting up patio speakers on my STR-DH820. I have the speakers on the surround back connections, but when I go to the GUI menu to SB Assign it won't let me select just the surround back as a configuration to set that config as my Speakers B.

Much thanks for any help.

Hi Gsxunv04, possible related to what Speaker Pattern was selected. If not, do a soft reset by disconnecting the power for a minute or perform a microprocessor reset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got the patio speakers working as B Speakers, but my center speaker stays on. All other A Speakers cut off when B Speakers are selected, except the center.

Any tips?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this exact AV receiver now for a few years. Connected with 5.1 speakers and with a HDMI 1.4 cable to my Samsung F7000 SmartTV's ARC (HDMI) port. I have a serious audio issue which is intermittent and can happen only in very specific circumstances (these are specific functions within specific apps running on the SmartTV.

The issue: Audio plays very loud and completely distorted (you can hear the underlying track but with massive distortion over the top). So loud in fact that I worry that one day my speakers will blow a driver, so I have to hit that mute button quickly to save the speakers (and my ears).

When this happens 1: Intermittently when playing YouTube videos on the youtube Samsung Smart Hub app - so you start a video playing and if the problem occurs, then it happens as soon as the video's audio kicks the Sony Receiver into life - in fact its as soon as I see the front LED panel display the speaker symbols, then the noise will blur out at this point. I can then pause the video, and if I wait until those speaker icons on the AV receiver disappear, I can then re-start the video, the speaker icons reappear, but this time the receiver figured out how to play the sound properly and all is fine. So its like the receiver cant figure out what sound format its receiving and selects the wrong codec to play it - a wild guess!

When this happens 2: Same issue occurrs randomly playing mp3 music within the Plex app. Occasionally also when I select a TV series in Plex and the show's theme music plays loud and distorted. Back out and try again and it plays fine next time around.

Its got to the point where I'm considering a new AV receiver. I have tried a new HDMI cable but no improvement.

Anyone else seeing this or have any known fixes?

Thanks in advance, Paul A

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this exact AV receiver now for a few years. Connected with 5.1 speakers and with a HDMI 1.4 cable to my Samsung F7000 SmartTV's ARC (HDMI) port. I have a serious audio issue which is intermittent and can happen only in very specific circumstances (these are specific functions within specific apps running on the SmartTV.

The issue: Audio plays very loud and completely distorted (you can hear the underlying track but with massive distortion over the top). So loud in fact that I worry that one day my speakers will blow a driver, so I have to hit that mute button quickly to save the speakers (and my ears).

When this happens 1: Intermittently when playing YouTube videos on the youtube Samsung Smart Hub app - so you start a video playing and if the problem occurs, then it happens as soon as the video's audio kicks the Sony Receiver into life - in fact its as soon as I see the front LED panel display the speaker symbols, then the noise will blur out at this point. I can then pause the video, and if I wait until those speaker icons on the AV receiver disappear, I can then re-start the video, the speaker icons reappear, but this time the receiver figured out how to play the sound properly and all is fine. So its like the receiver cant figure out what sound format its receiving and selects the wrong codec to play it - a wild guess!

When this happens 2: Same issue occurrs randomly playing mp3 music within the Plex app. Occasionally also when I select a TV series in Plex and the show's theme music plays loud and distorted. Back out and try again and it plays fine next time around.

Its got to the point where I'm considering a new AV receiver. I have tried a new HDMI cable but no improvement.

Anyone else seeing this or have any known fixes?

Thanks in advance, Paul A
I have the same receiver and the same set up mostly. Connected to a Samsung 65 inch Plasma. ( a "D" year for Samsung -- maybe thus making the tv set about 8 years old. )

I will let you know if I experience anything like you described. I have access to a PLEX server through the Smart HUB, but also through an Apple TV Version 4. P.S. The Netflix on my Samsung TV - quit working and will not connect to Netflix but when tried an Error MSG says to call The TV maker. Which I have not bothered with yet.

PPK

·
Registered
1 Posts
Default Input problem on STR-DH820

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Apologies in advance if there's an obvious fix, but it's driving me crazy.

Just bought new Sony KD49XE8004 TV and connected it up with my STR-DH820.

The amp has the following connections

PS3 to the Game HDMI on DH820
DH820's TV Out ARC to TVs ARC HDMI-3
Bluetooth receiver to DH820's TV opt in - this is not used for TV audio but for connecting other devices via BT.

TV currently has a cable box connected to HDMI 1 and a firestick to HDMI 2 (along with the HDMI arc as mentioned above).

When I switch on the TV, after 10 or so seconds the DH820 kicks in. The problem is that it seems to default to BD/DVD and AFD Auto. I have nothing connected to the BD/DVD HDMI but I get the TV picture with no audio. I then change the DH820 input to TV and adjust the sound field and everything works okay.

The problem I'm having is that when I switch off the TV and switch it on later, the DH820 input goes back to BD/DVD and AFD Auto sound field and I have to repeat the changing-to-TV process. Not a massive problem, but a bit confusing and annoying.

I have 'Control for HDMI' enabled on the DH820, which has been mentioned before. When I tried switching this off I got no sound at all from the DH820. It didn't switch on automatically and when I switched it on it didn't take control of the audio (which continued to emit from the TV itself).

Does anybody know why the DH820 is defaulting to BD/DVD, even though there's nothing plugged into that HDMI port? Why doesn't it remember the last setting and keep this when I next switch it on next? Can I set the default input to TV? And why is AFD auto always the default sound field when the DH820 first switches on, even if I change it subsequently.

Apologies, again, for the mass of questions and for probably missing out most of the important information. I really like this receiver but it's beginning to annoy me a bit! Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Chris.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sony STR-DH820: no video?

Hi there so a few days ago my optical port on my receiver stopped working and I had to switch it to the cable one. Then today I went to hook up my laptop to the receiver via hdmi and would only get audio but no video. When I went to check if the same occurred on my PS4 I found that it did and I would get a blank screen saying no input detected. I then bypassed my receiver and plugged in everything to the TV itself and it all worked just fine. I reset the receiver as well and im still having the same issue. Does it sound like its on its way out?

81 - 95 of 95 Posts