PORTABLE AUDIO ENHANCER
HD-D.C.S. (DIGITAL CINEMA SOUND)
DIGITAL LEGATO LINEAR

Video Features
4K OUTPUT
1080P/24P
DEEP COLOR
X.V.COLOR (XVYCC)

VIDEO UP SCALER & CONVERTER (ANALOG TO COMPONENT/HDMI)
YES/NO
BRAVIA® SYNC™ (CEC CONTROL) (One-Touch Play, System Audio Control, System Power Off)
HDMI® PASS THROUGH
3D OVER HDMI
AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL
A/V SYNC
ASSIGNABLE HDMI VIDEO IN~ 6 (1 HDCP 2.2)
HDMI OUTPUT~ 2 (1 HDCP 2.2)
ASSIGNABLE COMPONENT VIDEO IN
MHL 3.0 Ready

Tuner Features
RDS
PRESET CHANNEL (SIRIUS/XM/FM/AM)
TTL30 (30/-)Interface

INPUT AND OUTPUT TERMINALS
HDMI Video In/Out (6/2);HDCP2.2 Rear (1);Component Video Input (1);Composite Video Input 2;Composite Monitor Out (1);Audio Input (2);Audio Input Coax (1);Analog Audio Input (4);Headphone Output;Pre Out Subwoofer (2);USB (1 Front/1 Rear);Ethernet Port;MHL Front/Rear (1/1)

Decoding Format
DTS HD/DOLBYTRUHD/DOLBY DIGITAL+
LPCM (2 CH/5.1 CH/7.1 CH) THROUGH HDMI
DOLBY DIGITAL/DTS
DOLBY DIGITAL EX
DTS-ES (MATRIX6.1/DISCRETE6.1)
DTS 96/24
DOLBY PROLOGIC
DOLBY PROLOGIC II
DOLBY PROLOGIC IIX
DOLBY DUAL MONO
96K/24 BIT PCM

Auto Speaker Calibration
DCAC (DIGITAL CINEMA AUTO CALIBRATION)~YES
AUTOMATIC PHASE MATCHING~YES
Custom Install & Control Features
2ND ZONE AUDIO~YES
2ND ZONE VIDEO~YES
IR REPEAT (IN/OUT) ~YES(1/1)
Eco and energy saving
POWER CONSUMPTION (STANDBY MODE)~0.3 W
Network Connectivity~ YES
PC CONNECT UPDATE (ETHERNET)~ YES
MUSIC DECODING FORMAT FOR NETWORK CLIENT =
[MP3].mp3, [AAC/HE-AAC].m4a, .aac, [WMA9 Standard].wma, [LPCM].wav, [FLAC].flac, .fla, [Dolby Digital].ac3, [DSF].dsf, [DSDIFF].dff, [AIFF].aiff, .aif, [ALAC].m4a
GOOGLE CAST

http://www.sony.com/electronics/av-receivers/str-dn1060/specifications#features

STR-DN860

Manuals:

http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn10686/v1/en/print.pdf

Spec Sheets:
1060 / 860 : https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/STRDN1060_mksp.pdf

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Added a quote from the 1040 thread on how sony groups audio settings:

It's likely confusing because of the way Sony groups sound modes into categories a bit differently than Denon. The 3 categories are A.F.D./2 Channel sound mode, Movie mode, and Music mode. The receiver remembers the last sound field used for each of the 3 modes, so if you use one of the sound fields under A.F.D./2 channel sound mode, switch to a Movie mode, and then switch back to an A.F.D./2 channel sound mode, it will be the last A.F.D./2 channel mode you used. Same goes if you switch back to a Movie mode or Music mode. So, it essentially gives you an easy way to swap between your favorite sound field in each of the 3 modes quickly.

Let's start with the A.F.D./2 channel sound mode. Despite the name of the category, the sound fields included under this category are not strictly for 2 channel content, nor do they all result in 2 channel output. The "/" between "A.F.D." and "2 channel sound mode" should be read as an "or" (i.e. A.F.D. or 2 channel sound mode). In this category, there are 4 separate sound fields...

1) A.F.D. Auto - This is the equivalent of "Auto" on a Denon. It can be used for any format the receiver supports, any supported channel count from Mono to 7.1, and any input used (HDMI/Optical/Coaxial/Analog/Network/AirPlay/Bluetooth/USB). It is the sound field you would use if you don't want the receiver to add any surround effects to the audio. Whatever the native channel count of the content is, that is what the receiver puts out (provided you have at least that many speakers connected to the receiver). It only downmixes if you have fewer speakers connected than are originally contained within the content. Note: if you have a subwoofer connected then the receiver will use the crossover settings you input during setup to generate an LFE signal for frequencies below the crossover point. So, if you want to listen to your 2 channel content in 2.1 with a sub, this is the sound field you would want to use.

2) Multi Stereo - Outputs 2 channel left/right or monaural signals from all speakers. However, sound may not be output from certain speakers depending on the speaker setup.

3) 2 Channel Stereo - The receiver outputs the sound from the front left/right speakers only. There is no sound from the subwoofer.
Standard 2 channel stereo sources completely bypass the sound field processing and multi channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels.

4) 2 Channel Analog Direct - You can switch the audio of the selected input to 2 channel analog input. This function enables you to enjoy high quality analog sources. When using this function, only the volume and front speaker level can be adjusted. All digital processing is disabled. You cannot select “2ch Analog Direct” while using the BD, DVD, GAME, VIDEO 2, VIDEO 3, Bluetooth, USB, Home Network, SEN, and AirPlay function as there are no analog inputs for these sources.

Movie mode.
All sound fields in this mode alter the audio in some way, either adjusting reverb, upmixing, adjusting frequency response, or some combination thereof. There are 7 sound fields in this mode, counting the 3 different settings for HD D.C.S.

1) HD D.C.S. - Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony’s new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu- ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie’s sound engineer intended in the mastering process. As mentioned above there are 3 different HD D.C.S. settings.

a) Dynamic - This setting is suitable for an
environment which is reverberant but lacks a spacious feeling (where sound absorption is not sufficient). It emphasizes the reflection of sound and reproduces the sound of a large, classical movie theater. Thus, the spacious feeling of a dubbing theater is emphasized and a unique acoustic field is created.

b) Theater - This setting is suitable for a general living room. It reproduces the reverberation of sound just like in a movie theater (dubbing theater). It is most appropriate for watching content recorded on a Blu-ray Disc when you want the atmosphere of a movie theater.

c) Studio - This setting is suitable for a living room with the appropriate sound equipment. It reproduces the reverberation of sound provided when a theatrical sound source is remixed for a Blu-ray Disc to a volume level suitable for home use. The level of reflection and reverberation of sound is kept to the minimum. However, dialogues and surround effects are reproduced vividly.

2) PLII Movie - Performs Dolby Pro Logic II Movie mode decoding. This setting is ideal for movies encoded in Dolby Surround. In addition, this mode can reproduce sound in 5.1 channel for watching videos of overdubbed or old movies.

3) PLIIx Movie - Performs Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode decoding. This setting expands Dolby Pro Logic II Movie or Dolby Digital 5.1 to discrete 7.1 movie channels. This setting is only available if your speaker setup includes rear surrounds a.k.a. surround backs.

4) PLIIz Movie - Performs Dolby Pro Logic IIz mode decoding. This setting can expand a source sound from a 5.1 channel to a 7.1 channel to which a vertical equipment is applied, and gives a dimension of presence and depth. This setting is only available if your speaker setup includes front heights a.k.a front presence speakers.

5) Neo:6 Cinema - Performs DTS Neo:6 Cinema mode decoding. A source recorded in 2 channel format is decoded into 7 channels.

Music mode...
(Placeholder)

Regarding Sound Optimizer, that is a setting used to normalize volume from one source to another. For example, some sources tend to be recorded at low levels while others are recorded "louder". Ever switched from a movie that was at a comfortable listening level to a CD without turning the volume down, first? Chances are you got a rude awakening as CD's tend to be recorded louder. Sound Optimizer allows you to input a "high" or "low" setting for each source. This adjusts the gain for each source and the setting is remembered for that source so that the next time you switch to it, you won't have to adjust your volume to avoid being blasted or not being able to hear the sound. Supposedly it does not effect the dynamic range of the audio you are playing as the gain is applied evenly. I have never actually used it as I use the same input to play movies and music. Note that Sound Optimizer adjusts the gain in the digital domain, so is not available when using the 2 channel analog sound field. It (like most other processing) is disabled when playing multichannel content that has a sampling rate higher than 96khz.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just hooked up my 1060 yesterday. still need to fine tune speaker distance and levels, but so far so good. It woulndt pass Direct TV 4k until I did the software update but its working now. Question for the geeks, I know passing HDMI through the reciever isnt suppose to add any degradation to picture quality, but is it possible even in the slightest?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Best buy near me has str dn 860 open box for 299. Debating whether i should pick this up for another room. Not having 75 ohm fm antenna plug and no component input is a terrible omission on sonys part.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best buy near me has str dn 860 open box for 299. Debating whether i should pick this up for another room. Not having 75 ohm fm antenna plug and no component input is a terrible omission on sonys part.
yeah i was surprised the 1060 had component but the 860 did not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have has this receiver for about 2 weeks now. When I switch over to a new input, it shows 'no signal' for about 5 seconds before the new input displays. Also when starting a Blu-ray in the PS3, it shows 'no signal' once or twice right when you put the disc in and it shows different screens before the previews come on. Is this normal? I thought I remembered a smoother transition with no 'no signal' pop ups showing when switching inputs on the STR-DN 1050 when I had it earlier this year.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Im reading conflicting reports that analog Yellow/red/ white wont display at all (let alone upscale) through this AVR. Can anyone confirm?
It does not look good. I found two versions of the 1060 user manual, one from July and one from September. They are the same with one exception -- the description of the rear jacks on pages 20-21. Look at the notes that follow the list of jacks in each version:

-----
STR-DN1060 User Manual (Early Version)
1. COAXIAL IN jack
2. HDMI IN/OUT (*) jacks
3. Wireless LAN antenna
4. IR REMOTE IN/OUT jacks
You can control the receiver from a distance by connecting an IR repeater (not
supplied) to the IR REMOTE IN jack.
You can start or stop playback of devices such as a CD player connected to the
receiver by connecting an IR Blaster (not supplied) to the IR REMOTE OUT jack.
5. LAN port (**)
6. SPEAKERS terminals
7. ZONE 2 OUT jacks
8. SUBWOOFER OUT jacks
9. AUDIO IN jacks
10. VIDEO IN/OUT (*) jacks
11. COMPONENT VIDEO IN/OUT (*) jacks
12. FM ANTENNA terminal
13. OPTICAL IN jacks
* You must connect your TV to HDMI OUT or MONITOR OUT to watch images from the selected
input.
** You can also use this port for maintenance and service.
-----
-----
STR-DN1060 User Manual (NEW Version)
1. COAXIAL IN jack
2. HDMI IN/OUT (*) jacks
3. Wireless LAN antenna
4. IR REMOTE IN/OUT jacks
You can control the receiver from a distance by connecting an IR repeater (not
supplied) to the IR REMOTE IN jack.
You can start or stop playback of devices such as a CD player connected to the
receiver by connecting an IR Blaster (not supplied) to the IR REMOTE OUT jack.
5. LAN port
6. SPEAKERS terminals
7. ZONE 2 OUT jacks
8. SUBWOOFER OUT jacks
9. AUDIO IN jacks
10. VIDEO IN/OUT (*) jacks
11. COMPONENT VIDEO IN/OUT (*) jacks
12. FM ANTENNA terminal
13. OPTICAL IN jacks
* Connect a TV to the corresponding output jacks to watch video input from these jacks.
・HDMI IN jacks: HDMI OUT A (TV) or HDMI OUT B/HDMI ZONE jack
・VIDEO IN jacks: VIDEO MONITOR OUT jack
・COMPONENT VIDEO IN jacks: COMPONENT VIDEO MONITOR OUT jack
For details, see "Connecting a TV (for STR-DN1060)."
-----

The older version indicates that you can watch any input through HDMI (same as the 1030). The updated version says this cannot be done, i.e. you must connect analog to analog, or component to component.

I think this was a poor decision on Sony's part. True, the AV world is changing, but they should have waited a couple of more years/models to eliminate this function. I rarely use analog or component, but when I do I don't have to connect more cables from my 1030 to the TV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this and had a quick question.

I just purchased this from Best Buy open box yesterday, seems like they opened it and realized one was already on display. I'm looking to purchase in-wall speakers and was thinking about going with Boston Acoustics VSI-5835, these are rated for 4 Ohms, will this unit be able to handle it? Also, I'm confused on the watts. The box says 165 w per channel, but some websites list 100. Is that just a typo?

Here are the specs:

Recommended Amplifier Power: 10-200 watts
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Frequency Response (±3dB): 42Hz-22kHz
Mounting Depth (from surface): 3-3/4"(96mm)
Bass Unit: 8”(200mm) cast DCD copolymer
Midrange" 3-1/2” (90mm) cast copolymer
Crossover Frequency: 300/3000Hz
Sensitivity (1 watt (2.83v) at 1m): 90dB
Tweeter: 1" (25mm) VR aluminum dome
External Dimensions: 20-13/16 x 12-5/16” (528 x 314mm)
Mounting Hole Cutout: 19-7/16 x 11” (494 x 279mm)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this and had a quick question.

I just purchased this from Best Buy open box yesterday, seems like they opened it and realized one was already on display. I'm looking to purchase in-wall speakers and was thinking about going with Boston Acoustics VSI-5835, these are rated for 4 Ohms, will this unit be able to handle it? Also, I'm confused on the watts. The box says 165 w per channel, but some websites list 100. Is that just a typo?

Here are the specs:

Recommended Amplifier Power: 10-200 watts
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Frequency Response (±3dB): 42Hz-22kHz
Mounting Depth (from surface): 3-3/4"(96mm)
Bass Unit: 8”(200mm) cast DCD copolymer
Midrange" 3-1/2” (90mm) cast copolymer
Crossover Frequency: 300/3000Hz
Sensitivity (1 watt (2.83v) at 1m): 90dB
Tweeter: 1" (25mm) VR aluminum dome
External Dimensions: 20-13/16 x 12-5/16” (528 x 314mm)
Mounting Hole Cutout: 19-7/16 x 11” (494 x 279mm)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Also, I'm confused on the watts. The box says 165 w per channel, but some websites list 100. Is that just a typo?
All of the wattage specs for the 1060 are at 6 ohms.

165 Watt - 6 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.9% - 1 channel(s)
120 Watt - 6 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 1% - 2 channel(s)
100 Watt - 6 Ohm - 20 - 20000 kHz - THD 0.09% - 2 channel(s)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seriously considering the STR-DN860 but have a couple of questions:
1) The manual says that this will play internet radio but gives very little detail. Will I be able to broadcast stations like the BBC and Classic FM directly though this receiver?

2) I'll need an FM antenna as well for this, what sort of connection is that on the rear of the receiver.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 404 Posts