·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Reactions: Brian Hampton

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Maestrosc said:
100% this will not light up a 300" screen as well it needs to to perform HDR with any respectable quality.

2200 lumens is not nearly enough light output, regardless of laser or bulb.

Will fill a 300" screen with a decent SDR picture but has no chance at HDR.

Sums up my feelings entirely about this Sony... not enough light to be even somewhat interesting. Just a new model number for same projectors.
I wonder why JoeRod is getting this new Sony projector? He's had the 5000, the 995, and others. JoeRod, do you see this projector as a step up from other Sony projectors you have had and if so what benefits do you anticipate vs the other Sony projectors you have had?

Reactions: llang269

·
Premium Member
24,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quite honestly I really liked the 915 and it's processing and I really liked the 995 and it's lens. To me marrying them is a perfect combo which makes sense for a 995 replacement.

More to come soon...

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Joerod, thank you. I appreciate Sony is using different nomenclature regarding newer model projectors and features. But there seems to be some controversy regarding whether this is simply or more advertising than reality. I personally do not know and have no experience. Can you explain the 915 processing and how it betters the 995 processing functionally from your own use and standpoint, and to what extent these performance or functional improvement would compare to using a MadVR or Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor, or whether using a separate processor obviates to any extent the functional and performance differences. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Joerod, thank you. I appreciate Sony is using different nomenclature regarding newer model projectors and features. But there seems to be some controversy regarding whether this is simply or more advertising than reality. I personally do not know and have no experience. Can you explain the 915 processing and how it betters the 995 processing functionally from your own use and standpoint, and to what extent these performance or functional improvement would compare to using a MadVR or Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor, or whether using a separate processor obviates to any extent the functional and performance differences. Thanks.
Well, one thing I can tell you (and you probably know from reading the Gryffin HC thread) is that the processing in ANY projector is pretty much redundant and irrelevant when using a quality outboard processor.

Even the mighty (and expensive) GTZ380 with its X1 Ultimate 'for projector' chip, with all its great features and whizzy bits, is completely moot when 'basically everyone will partner it with a Lumagen or Envy' .

So, yes. Using an out board processor completely obviates any potential onboard processing improvement. 995 owners with one of the aforementioned VPs definitely need not apply.
And for 995 owners without a VP, just twiddle your settings a tad, you can get the same effect. :)

·
Premium Member
24,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Very true when using the Envy- processing is pretty much irrelevant but when I review I definitely test without since many don’t have a VP. As for the X1 processing it looked terrific with football. It very much resembled our newest Sony TV we had on in the Aquarium room right next to our Theater. I remember my first reaction was we need this on a higher end model. I have a long experience with Sony projectors so right off the bat I could see something was different. In a good way. Now the 1025 using the Envy will be perfect like the 995 is with movies. I am very excited with that. I will definitely do a good A and B with sports and tweak to see which is better. The Envy by this upcoming season hopefully will have its own version of Motion Flow going so that will make it more interesting. I have just recently begun experimenting with the Envy and our new Sony 8K model so now is the perfect time to check out the 1025 without it and then eventually add it.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Interesting you say that, as my 760 is incredibly similar in presentation to my X1 Ultimate equipped Sony TV too! :)
I do hope your 1025 article will not be more about the Envy as your 915 article was in danger of being though.
Personally I want to hear about the new projector, not an external box.

·
Premium Member
24,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Similar I get but exact depending on the content you’re watching not a chance. Fox Sports for example sometimes has the worst broadcasts over here with their games and the X1 definitely makes it watchable. Without it even the best projectors will still suffer. Movies differences definitely are very close. Of course that is without a VP. And yes I will do the majority of my Review on just the 1025. The 915 was a crossover Review with the Envy.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Similar I get, but exact depending on the content you’re watching, not a chance.
No one said 'exact' did they..... :rolleyes: ;)
Even so, sport is perfectly watchable on my VW80, never mind anything newer.

Reactions: Brian Hampton

·
Premium Member
24,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Did you really say VW80? That’s what 10 or 11 years old? That’s great you still have it and enjoy using it.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Did you really say VW80? That’s what 10 or 11 years old? That’s great you still have it and enjoy using it.
Yup, I did! It is a backup unit. :)Still works like a dream!
Behold VW80:

DSC_9516.JPG
DSC_9545.JPG

As an aside, I had a VW60 that I replaced the blue panel on before that and the picture was absolutely brilliant after I fixed it.
It had 10's of thousands of operational hours under its belt too. :eek::cool:
Here is a before picture (blue panel had completely gone):
DSC_7516.JPG

And here is an image after fixing:
DSC_8006.JPG

:cool:

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Sorry for going 'off-piste', but I am justifiably proud of the VW60 especially, as it was a right hassle to manually align the panels, but boy did it look good once I had nailed it down!

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Any information on whether the SXRD panels or optical block in the 1025 is the same as in the 995? I am assuming it's the same, but I heard they beefed up the panels for the 380 (to deal with the higher light output). I have a 995ES with panel non-uniformity (grays) after only 1100 hours. I'm not sure how common it is - only 2-3 users have reported this here; but I bet more users have it and don't know it.
It would be great if Sony has made improvements in this regard; but they probably aren't telling us, even if they did.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
The new one will have the software that the 995es has been waiting for ?
If you mean auto SDR HDR switching, then yes, it will have that.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Good to know. Wonder if they will offer a special upgrade for the 995es owners ? :)
I can't see why they would start that now.... They should in all honesty just provide a firmware with that feature for 870/995 users anyway.

In the US it has gone up by $5,000 over the 995!! That means it is $40,000 for a 1025!!! :eek::eek::eek:
The 870 had reduced to £22,000 here in the UK when the 790 was released, but the 890 is back up at £25,000 again now. :(
It's all going the wrong way!

·
Premium Member
24,024 Posts
Yup, I did! It is a backup unit. :)Still works like a dream!
Behold VW80:

View attachment 3124861 View attachment 3124862

As an aside, I had a VW60 that I replaced the blue panel on before that and the picture was absolutely brilliant after I fixed it.
It had 10's of thousands of operational hours under its belt too. :eek::cool:
Here is a before picture (blue panel had completely gone):
View attachment 3124846

And here is an image after fixing:
View attachment 3124847

:cool:
Those pics look great.

·
Premium Member
24,024 Posts
I can't see why they would start that now.... They should in all honesty just provide a firmware with that feature for 870/995 users anyway.

In the US it has gone up by $5,000 over the 995!! That means it is $40,000 for a 1025!!! :eek::eek::eek:
The 870 had reduced to £22,000 here in the UK when the 790 was released, but the 890 is back up at £25,000 again now. :(
It's all going the wrong way!
I agree 100% but it looks to me that thy have given up on the 995es. Wow the pricing on them is up their, $40K for a 1025 dont think so, Ill pass, especially if their is nothing new.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Those pics look great.
Thanks man!
The quite overwhelming sense of satisfaction, of saving a VW60 from the scrap heap by spending $100 dollars (inc shipping and import etc) and a dozen or so hours of my time, was high.
The VW80 only has 1300 or so hours and was purchased after I sold on the VW60 to a new life of showing movies for a local family.
The VW80 was a stupid low price and I simply had to buy it. :cool:
I was expecting to have to do some work on it, but it turns out that even with its low usage over its 13 years, the image is still pretty damn amazing. Only needed a twiddle on the RGB to get things back in order. I have it in case my PJ ever has to go back.
If I can ever procure a 4K unit as a spare then I will sell the VW80 on.
It will be a lamentable sale however as the VW80 (and even more so the VW60) have superb lenses. The VW60 in particular was forensically sharp!
I just wish I could have fitted that lens in my 760.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts