AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I agree 100% but it looks to me that thy have given up on the 995es. Wow the pricing on them is up their, $40K for a 1025 dont think so, Ill pass, especially if their is nothing new.
If you use a VP, there is literally zero to pull you in. If you don't use a VP, then the HDR enhancer has been tweaked to improve subjective HDR presentation a bit, but is still the same manually set system.

Edited to add: Yes, now a new model is out, the 995 is now last years news and soon to be discontinued.

·
Premium Member
24,046 Posts
Thanks man!
The quite overwhelming sense of satisfaction, of saving a VW60 from the scrap heap by spending $100 dollars (inc shipping and import etc) and a dozen or so hours of my time, was high.
The VW80 only has 1300 or so hours and was purchased after I sold on the VW60 to a new life of showing movies for a local family.
The VW80 was a stupid low price and I simply had to buy it. :cool:
I was expecting to have to do some work on it, but it turns out that even with its low usage over its 13 years, the image is still pretty damn amazing. Only needed a twiddle on the RGB to get things back in order. I have it in case my PJ ever has to go back.
If I can ever procure a 4K unit as a spare then I will sell the VW80 on.
It will be a lamentable sale however as the VW80 (and even more so the VW60) have superb lenses. The VW60 in particular was forensically sharp!
I just wish I could have fitted that lens in my 760.
13 years and still running strong. Bet all these new projectors won't last us that long.

·
Premium Member
24,046 Posts
If you use a VP, there is literally zero to pull you in. If you don't use a VP, then the HDR enhancer has been tweaked to improve subjective HDR presentation a bit, but is still the same manually set system.
( No Lumagen. Or Mad-VR Envy. Get over it. ;o) ) I have say reading your signature made me laugh :) I liked it.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
( No Lumagen. Or Mad-VR Envy. Get over it. ;o) ) I have say reading your signature made me laugh :) I liked it.
LOL. Yeah, some people had trouble coming to terms with my view that I neither want nor need one. ;):)

Reactions: Franin

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
13 years and still running strong. Bet all these new projectors won't last us that long.
Puts the whole panel degradation debate up in the air!
Some have postulated that lack of use can speed up the process, however, this machine doesn't fit that theory at all.
Nor did the 60 for that matter and that was at the extreme other end of the scale. Tens of thousands of hours of use in the 11 years before I had it. Sure the blue panel failed, but there was no 'degradation' in anything else. :)

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Indeed. The Japanese made pre 4K units are built like tanks in comparison.

Uh, hum... best get back on topic.... :p

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Do the specs say anywhere whether this 1025ES can display 100% of DCI-P3?
Only Sony's flagship GTZ-380 can show 100% P3 with no light loss. That is down to the addition of a red laser that none of the other models have.
So, it will be the same 89% or so that all the other models (except the 5000) have.

·
Registered
60 Posts
(sorry that all my model numbers are from the EU, hope it still makes sense)
Planning on updating my 550ES (top feature was the ~12gb hdmi board) and at the moment iam trying to decide between 2 options:

Option A: Getting the new 890ES for 25k€
Option B: A shop here sells the 870ES with a discount (just a discount, not a used unit) for 18k€ so in this case for the missing 7k i could combine it with a Lumagen.

Is there anyone here that already has an 890ES that can tell if the new features are worth the 7k or if it would be smarter to go 870 + Lumagen?

Unfortunately i don't think i can get an showcase here to see a 870+Lumagen vs a 890 in action so any input would be nice. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
(sorry that all my model numbers are from the EU, hope it still makes sense)
Planning on updating my 550ES (top feature was the ~12gb hdmi board) and at the moment iam trying to decide between 2 options:

Option A: Getting the new 890ES for 25k€
Option B: A shop here sells the 870ES with a discount (just a discount, not a used unit) for 18k€ so in this case for the missing 7k i could combine it with a Lumagen.

Is there anyone here that already has an 890ES that can tell if the new features are worth the 7k or if it would be smarter to go 870 + Lumagen?

Unfortunately i don't think i can get an showcase here to see a 870+Lumagen vs a 890 in action so any input would be nice. :)

Thanks!
Simple answer is, go for the 870 +Lumagen. You will miss nothing from the 890 with that combo.
The 890 adds separate SDR and HDR settings over the 870. And that is it in all reality.
If using a Lumagen that feature is irrelevant.

Reactions: chickberger

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Reactions: Reddig

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Still waiting for Joerod to review a JVC or non-Sony projector. HA!

·
Premium Member
24,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Doesn’t this count? And since you don’t plan to be an owner of the 1025 should you guys be posting here? That’s what I was told by Nigel in his thread.
What’s good for the goose...

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
After getting my new Monolith HTP-1 processor and MacBook Air i have $35K left for a projector upgrade. I need more brightness on my 135” 16x9 .8 gain AT screen for 3D and HDR. I’ve had a JVC RS540 for a few years and love it. But now that I watch more HDR 4k I need a better solution with
more lumens: my priorities have changed. I’m always in high lamp unless watching 1080p 2D SDR, which is what the RS540 shines at and used to be my main viewing.
Was leaning towards a 995ES and a Lumagen but I’m waiting until CEDIA 21 to see the 1025ES in action and what else is in my price range as by then my budget will have grown.

·
Premium Member
24,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I had seen someone make a comment about my Avengers “stuff.” My theater theme has been Avengers the past couple years. Our son even has a cool Avengers mobile above his crib with many of the characters on it and many on his wall as well. Captain America is more of his room’s theme. Anyway, I look forward to the 1025’s arrival and yes I created this thread a little too early which I usually don’t until I have it here. I’ve noticed others have started owner’s threads well before they’re in the field so at least I wasn’t that early. And the projector above is an Epson Home Cinema 3800. We use it for our outdoor movie cinema. I started to work on a Review with it included. We blow up a 20 foot screen and sit around our fire pit. We use a JBL PartyBox 300 which is amazing for sound. In the summer family and friends love coming here for movies indoor or outdoor. It’s great to have options depending on weather. Combine that with making pizzas and life is good!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts