AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Costco. It seriously has been one of the coolest additions to our get togethers. Everyone raves about how good the taste is. I am going to include this in my outdoor movie night write up I am currently working on.

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
After getting my new Monolith HTP-1 processor and MacBook Air i have $35K left for a projector upgrade. I need more brightness on my 135” 16x9 .8 gain AT screen for 3D and HDR. I’ve had a JVC RS540 for a few years and love it. But now that I watch more HDR 4k I need a better solution with
more lumens: my priorities have changed. I’m always in high lamp unless watching 1080p 2D SDR, which is what the RS540 shines at and used to be my main viewing.
Was leaning towards a 995ES and a Lumagen but I’m waiting until CEDIA 21 to see the 1025ES in action and what else is in my price range as by then my budget will have grown.
I'd look at a used Sony 5000ES and a Lumagen 5348 and have change left over!

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
I enjoyed my VW60. I think iit's the only SXRD pJ I had with an IRIS and I prefered it off.
VW60. Underrated in my view. The one I resurrected was superb.

Reactions: Reddig

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I'd look at a used Sony 5000ES and a Lumagen 5348 and have change left over!
Nothing is set in stone but i just need a bit more light. My screen isn’t too big. How noisy would a 5000ES be naked behind my head? No hushy box yet. You make a good point in value for sure with the all the 380 swap outs.

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
Nothing is set in stone but i just need a bit more light. My screen isn’t too big. How noisy would a 5000ES be naked behind my head? No hushy box yet. You make a good point in value for sure with the all the 380 swap outs.
You may have money left over for hush box lol

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
You may have money left over for hush box lol
Used 5000ES’s scare me because of the possibility of panel degradation. The last one I happened to view was the 5000ES used at the Alcons demo at CEDIA19 and the black level was on par to my old Sony 40ES. People laughed when I said that. Then Kris said that particular unit measured 5,000:1 contrast in a post. My 40ES measured 4500:1 so I was pretty close. I’d rather stick with the JVC than a trade off like that.
I’ll be demoing new units and if they don’t wow me I’ll just keep hanging out until something does.

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
I still can't get over how you guys are charged $40,000 for one of these!!
Incredible.

Reactions: Reddig

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
I still can't get over how you guys are charged $40,000 for one of these!!
Incredible.
Highway robbery indeed but if one loves the image it’s one of those things. If one uses a Lumagen Rad pro processor you could save with a 995 if I’m understanding the new X1 chip implementation? I’m excited to demo as much as possible in the near future.

EDITED

·
Premium Member
24,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·

It’s the real deal! Looks terrific. Definitely better with HDR10 than the 995 was. Deeper blacks. More dynamic contrast. I am not using the Envy with it for my Review. I will post more soon. I have been very impressed...

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Highway robbery indeed but if one loves the image it’s one of those things. If one uses a Lumagen Rad pro processor you could save with a 995 if I’m understanding the new X1 chip implementation? I’m excited to demo as much as possible in the near future.

EDITED
Right. The 1025 is no different than the 995, and a Lumagen’s DTM is much much better than what the X1 chip can do. The Lumagen gives you a ton more calibration and other features too.

·
Premium Member
24,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Actually the 1025 is different than the 995 with the X1 processing chip. It definitely surpasses the 995 in overall performance. The same type of dimming as the 380 makes it special. We are pleasantly surprised with it. The 1025 is proof specs are just that. Real life performance is different. Claiming it is the same means you haven’t seen one in person.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Actually the 1025 is different than the 995 with the X1 processing chip. It definitely surpasses the 995 in overall performance. The same type of dimming as the 380 makes it special. We are pleasantly surprised with it. The 1025 is proof specs are just that. Real life performance is different. Claiming it is the same means you haven’t seen one in person.
Has the dimming range improved like on the GTZ380?

Hopefully you are still planning to have measurements with your review? Would love to see On/Off CR and ANSI CR measurements after you have your calibration done!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Has the dimming range improved like on the GTZ380?

Hopefully you are still planning to have measurements with your review? Would love to see On/Off CR and ANSI CR measurements after you have your calibration done!
Sony has dramatically changed the way it’s dynamic dimming works on the GTZ380 when compared to the 5000ES.

The native on/off contrast on the 5000ES was around 16k:1, but as soon as one pixel was lit up it was limited to around 12k:1. The 5000ES also didn’t have the wide dimmable laser range that the GTZ has. Both of which caused the image to “jump” out of black even when dynamic dimming was engaged.

The GTZ has the advantage of not losing any contrast when a single pixel is lit up, so it has a full usable 18k:1 native contrast. And because the laser can dim to zero, this allows for a very smooth transition out of black when using the dynamic dimming and greatly extends the overall “dynamic range” of the projector.

I have yet to see the 1025 yet, but if it has implemented these same changes, then it will offer a significant upgrade over the 995ES.

As good as the 5000 and 995 are, they didn’t have the wide dimmable range that the new GTZ has. If the 1025 has the same larger dimmable range on its laser as the GTZ, while also being combined with its dynamic iris (which the GTZ doesn’t have), it potentially could even out perform the new GTZ in “dynamic range”.

I can certainly see how that would offer significant step up from previous models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Sony has dramatically changed the way it’s dynamic dimming works on the GTZ380 when compared to the 5000ES.

The native on/off contrast on the 5000ES was around 16k:1, but as soon as one pixel was lit up it was limited to around 12k:1. The 5000ES also didn’t have the wide dimmable laser range that the GTZ has. Both of which caused the image to “jump” out of black even when dynamic dimming was engaged.

The GTZ has the advantage of not losing any contrast when a single pixel is lit up, so it has a full usable 18k:1 native contrast. And because the laser can dim to zero, this allows for a very smooth transition out of black when using the dynamic dimming and greatly extends the overall “dynamic range” of the projector.

I have yet to see the 1025 yet, but if it has implemented these same changes, then it will offer a significant upgrade over the 995ES.

As good as the 5000 and 995 are, they didn’t have the wide dimmable range that the new GTZ has. If the 1025 has the same larger dimmable range on its laser as the GTZ, while also being combined with its dynamic iris (which the GTZ doesn’t have), it potentially could even out perform the new GTZ in “dynamic range”.

I can certainly see how that would offer significant step up from previous models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree that the GTZ380's increased dynamic dimming range (100 to10, 0) is a huge improvement over the previous Sony laser models. AFAIK I was one of the first to pass this info on from my Sony Pro contacts way back in the projector anticipation threads. I want to know if that larger dimming range (10x dimming multiplier) was also on the 1025es.

The other new GTZ380 feature that I hope is on the 1025es is the removal of the loss of contrast as the laser output is decreased. In prior models lowering laser output also lowered on/off contrast! This has an obvious impact on both dynamic dimming and also when lowering light output to accommodate smaller screen sizes.

There was a NX9 v 995es in Colorado a couple of years ago where the calibrator decided to close the iris on the NX9 and lower the laser on the 995es in order to achieve 14FL on the screen. Unclear why 14FL was chosen since consumer SDR sources are mastered at 100 nits (~30FL)! The net result was the NX9 on/off was raised from 28,000:1 to >40,000:1 while the 995es was lowered from 16,000:1 to 8,000:1

So instead of comparing a 28,000:1 to a 16,000:1, they compared a 40,000:1 to a 8,000:1 and pretended it was a "fair" comparison!

61 - 80 of 81 Posts