AVS Forum banner

THE Official Sony VPL-VW1025ES/890ES 4K 3D HDR X1 Laser Owner’s Thread

24K views 145 replies 25 participants last post by  Archibald1 
#1 · (Edited)

I will be digging in very soon. Very excited to put this one up in my theater. Matching the best of both worlds with the X1 processing and of course the lens.

X1™ for projector
X1™ for projector takes our acclaimed BRAVIA TV video processing and optimizes it for projection. This processor combines innovative technologies for high-precision frame analysis, enabling features like the Dynamic HDR Enhancer and Super Resolution.

Native 4K SXRD™ Panel
The advanced SXRD™ (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) panel technology featured in Sony's home-theater projectors delivers native 4K-resolution (4096 x 2160) images with 8.8 million pixels for an incredibly lifelike picture. SXRD projection offers rich, inky blacks as well as clear cinematic motion and image smoothness, and can reproduce vibrant colors with more tones and textures than a standard projector system.

2,200 lumens Z-Phosphor laser light source
Savor the action with up to 2,200 lumens of brightness, generated by Sony's Z-Phosphor™ laser light source, for vibrant images even on screens up to 300 " (762 cm) (diag.).

Dual Contrast Control
In addition to the dynamically controlled laser light output, an Advanced Iris is also incorporated. Both the iris control and laser can be adjusted independently and dynamically, to optimize light output for both dark and bright well-lit scenes. The result is deeper blacks than ever, as well as bright, vibrant colors where needed. The infinite dynamic contrast makes every scene spring to life with detail and realism.

Watch bright images for years with a Z-phosphor™ laser light
The VPL-VW1025ES uses an ultra-pure and reliable Z-Phosphor™ laser light source. This Sony-developed laser light source lets you enjoy perfectly clear 4K pictures at optimal brightness for up to 20,000 uninterrupted hours. No lamp replacements required, and virtually zero maintenance.

Dynamic HDR Enhancer
The Dynamic HDR Enhancer powered by X1™ for projector delivers the best contrast by processing HDR content scene by scene. It further enhances the contrast in combination with laser and iris light output control, which makes bright scenes brighter and dark scenes darker to deliver compelling 4K HDR images.

Super-resolution Reality Creation for 4K content
Sony's exclusive Reality Creation technology analyzes images right down to the pixel level. It then employs pattern-matching algorithms developed over years of movie production to enhance crispness even without increasing digital picture noise. It also upscales existing Full HD Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD movies to near 4K quality.

Digital Focus Optimizer
Optimum focus is achieved, not only optically, but also digitally, by the Digital Focus Optimizer. It compensates, in advance, for possible optical degradation of the lens, then outputs the optimum corrected images, so that even the focus in the corners is better than ever.

Corner-to-corner sharpness with the ARC-F lens
For pristine image quality across the entire screen, the VPL-VW1025ES features an All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens. This large-aperture lens adopts an all-glass design for its 18 elements, including six extra low-dispersion (ELD) elements. This ensures optimal convergence of the red, green, and blue primaries even at the extreme edges of the image for a clear and vivid image wherever you look.

Picture Position Memory stores your settings
Store focus, zoom, and lens-shift settings for up to five screen formats for easy recall. Picture Position Memories store key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16:9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector.

HDR compatibility: every image comes to life
Get the most from your projector when viewing new UHD Blu-ray and streaming services with High Dynamic Range (HDR). HDR video offers a vastly expanded brightness range to deliver far more realistic, high-contrast images and brilliant colors. Compatible with both HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) formats, Sony's home projectors reproduce color and contrast faithfully to the creators' intent.

4K Motionflow™
The powerful video processor in the VPL-VW1025ES offers Motionflow™ for smooth and clear motion, even when viewing 4K content. Motionflow™ adds frames to reduce blur, while maintaining brightness, making it ideal for fast-moving sports content. Theater purists can choose True Theater mode to retain the original 24fps.

Motorized zoom lens and wide lens shift
Installing this projector in your room is easy with a motorized zoom with a wide lens shift range. Adjust the position of the projector up to 80%4 vertically and 31%4 horizontally to get just the right angle for your movies without creating image distortion or resolution loss.

Make the home theater experience bigger and better than ever.
Sony 4K projectors are compatible with IMAX Enhanced content, making them ready to deliver the bigger, more breathtaking IMAX visuals you love in compatible content. Take advantage of the size of your projector screen with movies that become even more immersive with IMAX Enhanced.

See less See more
#59 ·
I had seen someone make a comment about my Avengers “stuff.” My theater theme has been Avengers the past couple years. Our son even has a cool Avengers mobile above his crib with many of the characters on it and many on his wall as well. Captain America is more of his room’s theme. Anyway, I look forward to the 1025’s arrival and yes I created this thread a little too early which I usually don’t until I have it here. I’ve noticed others have started owner’s threads well before they’re in the field so at least I wasn’t that early. And the projector above is an Epson Home Cinema 3800. We use it for our outdoor movie cinema. I started to work on a Review with it included. We blow up a 20 foot screen and sit around our fire pit. We use a JBL PartyBox 300 which is amazing for sound. In the summer family and friends love coming here for movies indoor or outdoor. It’s great to have options depending on weather. Combine that with making pizzas and life is good!

#64 ·
VW60. Underrated in my view. The one I resurrected was superb.

Reactions: Reddig
#70 ·
I still can't get over how you guys are charged $40,000 for one of these!!
Incredible.

Reactions: Reddig
#74 ·
Actually the 1025 is different than the 995 with the X1 processing chip. It definitely surpasses the 995 in overall performance. The same type of dimming as the 380 makes it special. We are pleasantly surprised with it. The 1025 is proof specs are just that. Real life performance is different. Claiming it is the same means you haven’t seen one in person.

#92 ·
I have not been a fan of reference in a very long time. I like the added sharpness and stronger tones more. Reference to my taste has always been a little bland. That’s just my preference however. Picture settings are like popcorn, everyone has a favorite.

#95 ·
Your “lowly” 760 doesn’t look bad at all. You haven’t seen a 1025ES and this is an owners thread so let’s not bombard it with a bunch of other model pics and conversations. I loved mine when I had it but it really doesn’t compete with motion and the dynamic dimming is a huge leap for the 1025ES. I confirmed it with Sony that it does indeed have it.

Measurements coming eventually soon...

#97 ·
Your “lowly” 760 doesn’t look bad at all.
Thanks, I think. ;)
However, I would argue that my pics actually look better than the ones you have posted.
BTW, I only posted pics of that film now on my thread, as I have only just received my copy, so couldn't have done so any sooner.

I confirmed it with Sony that it does indeed have it.
Let's face it, they can say what they want. Largely because it is so hard to disprove without lots of money and a will to disassemble them.
I am convinced the laser module is no different to the 995 and thus any difference will be software only.
But that is as maybe and not something I am going to play tennis over.
There is no doubt it is a superb unit.

#107 ·
All images were taken live. No still pausing.
Not sure what that proves, other than fast shutter speed and more than a modicum of luck. :)

#114 ·
Ouch! :(

#128 ·
We actually did some 3D testing with the Oppo 203 watching Toy Story 4. Wow! I was very impressed with the 1025 and the depth. Pure eye candy and the old kid’s Sony glasses (blue and pink) worked fine. The ValueView I was using were perfect. It’s good to see Sony still supporting 3D on their newer projectors!

#135 ·
I watched Black Widow this evening using Disney + with the Nvidia Pro Shield and all I can say is WOW! Visually one of the best movies I have seen in our theater. The 1025 and Envy are an amazing combo. Since installing the 1025 I still stand by my statements that I am seeing the best visuals to date in the theater. If you get a chance I definitely recommend Black Widow.

#136 ·
Whilst do not doubt for a moment the image was fantastic (it damn well ought to be, let's be frank), I would be very very very very very surprised (nay shocked) if you ever backtracked in any way on your previous statement of perceived excellence and best image yet conclusions.
As for Black Widow I will be waiting for the disc because, as good as streaming can be, it can (and does) compress on the fly if the connection speed slows for any reason. So I will be waiting for the best possible image option myself. I don't mind waiting another couple of months, it is already 14months or so late as it is. :)

#138 ·
No, thank you for letting me stop by!
By the way I would still wait for the disc as I am patient and prefer owning the physical item with no chance of arbitrary deletion or denial of access.

• Haha
Reactions: Reddig and fatherom