AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 2676 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
but I communicated with a forum member from Toronto who replaced an rs4910 with the VW300 and is very happy - no regrets at all based on how the rest compares and the good black level. The definition of coming close in terms of black level is personal - perhaps the phrase "black level is respectable" as used in reviews on the 300/350 sums it up well. Not pitch black but not detracting from experience. Your eyes would be the best judge, even though I pulled the trigger site unseen (no regrets either).[/QUOTE]

That is what I find interesting about this projector, not how it is in relation to the 600 but how it is compared to your current projector. I had written off any thoughts of a 4K projector for at least this year and perhaps next but the promo pricing brings that back to mind. Even if I wait until this falls CEDIA not sure anything better would appear at or below the promo price. I have an Epson 6010 so this might be a good stop gap machine for 2-4 years. I'm sure the 600 is well worth it...but I think I would wait for its next version.

I guess you have to purchase the server with the 350ES as I guess it still comes with the 600 so that adds some. Strange they are giving them away with the rear projector TV's now but not apparently the 350ES.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Based on what I have seen - yes, but I have not seen that much compared to other people here. You can also browse though the VW500/600 thread for opinions as, aside from the dynamic iris difference, picture quality is identical between the 300/350/500/600.
Thanks. I heard the processor in the 300ES is more advanced than the 500ES. Not sure how that would effect the picture.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks. I heard the processor in the 300ES is more advanced than the 500ES. Not sure how that would effect the picture.
Processors are the same the main difference initially was the firmware. The 300ES shipped with 1.1, but now the 500/600ES has it and there is an even newer one (1.20A) that some 500ES members have reported to include myself.

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
That's good advice about testing variable polarizers - I know someone who bought a cheap one, and I think he said it would go from a neutral grey to a purple, so not something you'd be wanting to put on your lens.

Gary
True for a single polarizer, as well ... but there's really no reason to use a single pola. You could us it as an ND6 (2-stops), as long as you rotated it such that there is no degredation to the color. Still, that's a lot of light loss. I'd stick with standard NDs.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
So I experimented last night with my VW600, turning off the dynamic iris. I used typical mixed dark scenes ( since I don't really watch fade to black scenes - not much to see ) in V For Vendetta, Starship Troopers, and Avatar. I watched V For Vendetta on a 16:9 screen. First off, I remembered why I went with masking ( in my case one each 2.35:1 and 16:9 electric screens - same outcome ). Turning the iris off didn't really have that much effect on the picture. In fact, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. And I have a pretty dark room. Turning off the Contrast Enhance feature was much more dramatic. However, the VW350 has this feature. Overall, the picture looked really close. For 1/2 the price, I wouldn't miss that iris myself. In fact, with 95% of the content I watch, if someone switched out my VW600 with a 350 and didn't tell me, I might not ever notice. I'll do some more experimenting tonight - there are a few night scenes in Skyfall I need to watch with and without the iris on.

Here is the owners manual if anyone want to check it out. http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VPLVW350ES&LOC=3#/manualsTab
Craig, the Planar PD8150 and Runco LS-10i I have here currently have a similar feature. They call it "adaptive contrast" and what it looks like it does is stretch the content, in terms of contrast, to fit the entire spectrum. So it adjusts the content to basically always encompass digital 16-235. So if the darkest content on screen is digitial 17, it will put that at 16 and 18 at 17 and so on until the middle point and does the opposite for brighter material as you get towards 235. It does it on a frame by frame basis in real time. It does have an effect on how the DI functions and does induce a little more clipping (for obvious reasons).

Sometimes this comes in handy, but sometimes it can give the image a slight "edgy" unnatural look to it. But you're definitely right, it makes darker scenes look better. Though I think shadow detail is lost a bit when it's enabled. I doubt both pieces of software work exactly the same though. I wonder if @zombie10k can take a look at his 1100ES and DC4 PD8130 to see if they resemble each other pretty closely?

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
As for the black levels on JVC, I have no direct experience (comparing to my previous CRT projector does not help) but I communicated with a forum member from Toronto who replaced an rs4910 with the VW300 and is very happy - no regrets at all based on how the rest compares and the good black level. The definition of coming close in terms of black level is personal - perhaps the phrase "black level is respectable" as used in reviews on the 300/350 sums it up well. Not pitch black but not detracting from experience. Your eyes would be the best judge, even though I pulled the trigger site unseen (no regrets either).
Probably not a popular view on here, but I saw the VW500 in the same (very good all black room) as a JVC X35 (RS46). While there were many things about the VW500's image and motion I liked, on the dark scenes I felt it wanting, looking a little 'grey' at times, even compared to the X35. Yes the iris was on (as I could see it pumping on end credits) and I believe both units were calibrated.

It's not the sole reason to choose a projector, but I think that even the DI'd version lacks a little bit in dark scenes if that's your bag.

FWIW I saw the VW1000 at the same place and found that much better, so although out of budget right now I know what level I'm aiming at for a future upgrade and it won't be a VW300/500. I'm not going backwards in black level; those glossing over it are deluding themselves that it's 'nearly as good' IMHO. That's not to say the image isn't better in other ways, but black level isn't one of them.

Reactions: mattr6

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
True for a single polarizer, as well ... but there's really no reason to use a single pola. You could us it as an ND6 (2-stops), as long as you rotated it such that there is no degredation to the color. Still, that's a lot of light loss. I'd stick with standard NDs.
Actually I meant to say variable ND which in theory is supposed to stay neutral throughout its adjustment.

I think polarizers can play havoc with LCD based tech IIRC.

Gary

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The power zoom works OK. I've been zooming with my Lumis for 5+ years. Heck, I switched screens in the middle of Hunger Games: Catching Fire on the fly with my VW600, and zoomed from 2.35:1 to 16:9 - totally forgot that movie was an aspect ratio shape shifter. I'm not sure anyone even realized what I did !

You fox! LOL

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I understand the combining of the threads, I don't understand or appreciate labeling this (mine) or any other thread as official. Every thread containing the word official is self aggrandizement by the thread originator. This is nothing official about a thread started by a forum member and I would appreciate who ever changed the title to remove the word official from it. I have removed several of my posts including my thread starting post because the thread was combined with an earlier starting thread. This post is my official statement on the renaming of my thread.

Its time for the sales guys to starting pitching again. Trying to stir the idiocy pot that this thread has mostly become, low ref level blacks or high on/offs are essentially unneeded by most and have very little to do with watching normal content. In theory high on/offs are important for a variety of reasons, but in real world use for most, they are simply not needed. I have a black pit and even then having a say a JVC/sony interracial projector union would be of little benefit to me except for stupid posts saying how non movie theater like the blacks look especially in rolling credits and how important black detail that you can't see in movie theaters (the director's clear intent BTW) is in your HT. What BS.

·
Registered
864 Posts
There was a great Honda commercial here in Canada. A guy goes into a dealership and is offered to test a white F1 car - just revving up the engine. He is super excited and says: "It's great, how much ?". "1 million" says the sales person. Clearly disappointed and shocked, the guy pauses and then asks: "Does it come in Blue though?". "No" is the answer, so the guys says "That is a deal breaker"... and then he sees the other models and is happy again. I know the example is quite exaggerated and price is not in question in our context but this commercial made me laugh all the time :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Trying to stir the idiocy pot that this thread has mostly become, low ref level blacks or high on/offs are essentially unneeded by most and have very little to do with watching normal content. In theory high on/offs are important for a variety of reasons, but in real world use for most, they are simply not needed. I have a black pit and even then having a say a JVC/sony interracial projector union would be of little benefit to me except for stupid posts saying how non movie theater like the blacks look especially in rolling credits and how important black detail that you can't see in movie theaters (the director's clear intent BTW) is in your HT. What BS.
+++1! Mark, no one could have said this better than you. So very true.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No lens memory - really ?

It has the powered lens features, but does not have lens memory. This means, you would have to use the zoom button and lens shift buttons on the remote to do CIH.
Wow ... I did not realize that unlike its higher-priced cousins the 300ES/350ES does NOT have lens memory despite the fact that it offers motorized zoom/focus/shift.
That is an absolute deal breaker for me. I have been using CIH on my 2.39 screen with my JVC projectors that way for two projector generations.
Hard to believe for a projector in that price range ... I had a 350ES on order from my local distributor but I guess I will cancel that order for now.

Edit:
Are we absolutely certain that the 300ES/350ES does not have lens memory ?

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
Trying to stir the idiocy pot that this thread has mostly become, low ref level blacks or high on/offs are essentially unneeded by most and have very little to do with watching normal content. In theory high on/offs are important for a variety of reasons, but in real world use for most, they are simply not needed. I have a black pit and even then having a say a JVC/sony interracial projector union would be of little benefit to me except for stupid posts saying how non movie theater like the blacks look especially in rolling credits and how important black detail that you can't see in movie theaters (the director's clear intent BTW) is in your HT. What BS.
One thing most everybody can use are more lumens though. I found an old receipt ( from AV Science - long before I worked here ) for an Optoma H79 ( dated 2 - 21 - 2005 ). That projector was over $6000.00. I also have a note from 2007 that with 375 hours on the lamp, it was putting out 244 lumens, which gave me 6.13 foot lamberts on my screen. :eek:
I also have a note that a brand new lamp in the H79, on low lamp, put out 401 lumens - 10 foot lamberts on my screen. Which still sucked - even with a new lamp! :mad:

The VW350 and 600 might not have JVC's black levels, but the black levels are good enough for me considering the lumens. I like a bright picture, and that is certainly not a problem with any of Sony's 4K projectors !

·
Registered
864 Posts
Wow ... I did not realize that unlike its higher-priced cousins the 300ES/350ES does NOT have lens memory despite the fact that it offers motorized zoom/focus/shift.
That is an absolute deal breaker for me. I have been using CIH on my 2.39 screen with my JVC projectors that way for two projector generations.
Hard to believe for a projector in that price range ... I had a 350ES on order from my local distributor but I guess I will cancel that order for now.

Edit:
I am certain Sony just disabled a menu item in the firmware to further justify the price difference with the 500/600. There is likely no additional HW required for this feature to be supported on the 300/350.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
One thing most everybody can use are more lumens though. I found an old receipt ( from AV Science - long before I worked here ) for an Optoma H79 ( dated 2 - 21 - 2005 ). That projector was over $6000.00. I also have a note from 2007 that with 375 hours on the lamp, it was putting out 244 lumens, which gave me 6.13 foot lamberts on my screen. :eek:
I also have a note that a brand new lamp in the H79, on low lamp, put out 401 lumens - 10 foot lamberts on my screen. Which still sucked - even with a new lamp! :mad:

The VW350 and 600 might not have JVC's black levels, but the black levels are good enough for me considering the lumens. I like a bright picture, and that is certainly not a problem with any of Sony's 4K projectors !

I certainly agree. most should choose more lumens over a lower black ref value as long as your on/off is sufficient to run say a 2.4 gamma without black crush for films. All the Sonys that have a DI will do that. The 350 may not, I do not know. My position is that if one can afford the 600 over the 350 and one watches films and is in a decent viewing environment, one should buy a 600 instead.

As to low ft/lambert levels, I go way back to the CRT front projector days. I lived for a long time with a 1.3 gain screen to get my 7 ft lamberts or so from my three 9 inch tubes CRT FP. For films, I prefer that to any digital projector but the upkeep and lack of technical repair people and the expense of tubes and the difficulty of finding them make that beast not practical for me.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts

Edit:
So you have to spend 30 secs using the remote to do the zooming and positioning set up when you switch from 1.78 to a higher aspect. Its not like having to walk 2 miles to school in a snow storm or chopping wood to keep your house warm at night.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
As to low ft/lambert levels, I go way back to the CRT front projector days. I lived for a long time with a 1.3 gain screen to get my 7 ft lamberts or so from my three 9 inch tubes CRT FP. For films, I prefer that to any digital projector but the upkeep and lack of technical repair people and the expense of tubes and the difficulty of finding them make that beast not practical for me.
Considering that many commercial theatres run at around 9fL, and with the on/off contrast that CRTs have, the images look far more cinematic than the much higher fLs we can get with digitals (IMHO), especially these days, so even though we can run higher fLs if we want to, I'm still inclined to keep reflectance levels down to around 12 and I've happy to live with less. I might be in the minority though.

Joel Silver has been recommending something like 20fL for BD, and the DCI standard is around 14fL, but for me, if the fLs are too high, I start to feel the image is becoming more like video than cinema.

Gary

·
Registered
114 Posts
So you have to spend 30 secs using the remote to do the zooming and positioning set up when you switch from 1.78 to a higher aspect. Its not like having to walk 2 miles to school in a snow storm or chopping wood to keep your house warm at night.
Mark, I am also a systems integrator. If I would now remove a JVC projector from a client's house and the customer is used to having 1.78 and 2.39 buttons for lens presets on their remote control (Crestron, Control4, RTI, etc.) - it would not "go down" very well.
For myself, I agree - I could probably live with it, however I don't think I could zoom the picture out to exact Cinemascope size, do the vertical lens shift and get the focus perfect in 30 seconds - maybe I have to practice more often :D My late night sleepiness level and beer intake level may have an effect as well ;)
I guess it really depends on the convenience level that some end users/clients expect.
I will call one of my prospective VPL-VW350ES clients in a few minutes ...

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Mark, I am also a systems integrator. If I would now remove a JVC projector from a client's house and the customer is used to having 1.78 and 2.39 buttons for lens presets on their remote control (Crestron, Control4, RTI, etc.) - it would not "go down" very well.
For myself, I agree - I could probably live with it, however I don't think I could zoom the picture out to exact Cinemascope size, do the vertical lens shift and get the focus perfect in 30 seconds - maybe I have to practice more often :D My late night sleepiness level and beer intake level may have an effect as well ;)
I guess it really depends on the convenience level that some end users/clients expect.
I will call one of my prospective VPL-VW350ES clients in a few minutes ...

I answered thinking that is was for you and not a client. I don't mind driving a clutch car but many people would rather have an auto transmission and in actuality couldn't drive a clutch. As for drinking at night, after one bourbon I have trouble even finding the projector remote.

181 - 200 of 2676 Posts