AVS Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2215 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Keep for a spare I guess. At this stage, if I had to send a projector in for repairs, I'd start suffering withdrawals within a day...One other benefit of sticking with the Sony was not having to reprogram half a dozen Harmony elite activities... :p
Does putting a 58” 4k TV about 5’ away from the recliner count as withdrawal?

Is the 770 Europe only, and is the US equivalent the VPL-VW915ES? Or is this one generationally off?

....actually just saw the 885 is laser as well. Guessing the 915 is the new 885 and the 885 is the European 770?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Does putting a 58” 4k TV about 5’ away from the recliner count as withdrawal?

Is the 770 Europe only, and is the US equivalent the VPL-VW915ES? Or is this one generationally off?

....actually just saw the 885 is laser as well. Guessing the 915 is the new 885 and the 885 is the European 770?
Yeah I'd have a hard time going to a panel TV for home theater to be honest!

I think:
  • The 885 and 760 are the "same" unit.
  • The 995 and 870 are the "same" unit. The glass lens laser model
  • The new 915 and 790 are the "same" unit

I've no idea why North America gets different numbers to the rest of the world...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hate to be the one to say this, but with the 675 and these new consoles, it will be able to display 4K HDR 10/12bit @60hz. However you will get horrid awful banding/posterization. It will not look nice.
Can you explain this? On my reading of bandwidth requirements, the only thing you get moving from 14gbps to 18gbps is the ability to go up from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2. And that would be true for movies as well as games. Why would that alone make such a difference for games and not movies, or is there some other factor?

In any case, I suppose at least I know what I'm in for, as I'm currently using an Xbox One X, which already displays with 4k HDR 10-bit @ 60hz. Although it sounds like I might not be able to see an upgrade to pixel quality that the Series X promises with all those tflops.

Edit: link to HDMI data rates reference post

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think:
I've no idea why North America gets different numbers to the rest of the world...
Would really love to see a sticky post with a translation of all the Sony models. It's like half y'all post in English, but all I can read is 'Murican. 😜

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Yeah I'd have a hard time going to a panel TV for home theater to be honest!

I think:
All those model equivalents are correct.

Probably to make sure that US customers don't get away with paying far less for their units than elsewhere. ;)

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Can you explain this? On my reading of bandwidth requirements, the only thing you get moving from 14gbps to 18gbps is the ability to go up from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2. And that would be true for movies as well as games. Why would that alone make such a difference for games and not movies, or is there some other factor?

In any case, I suppose at least I know what I'm in for, as I'm currently using an Xbox One X, which already displays with 4k HDR 10-bit @ 60hz. Although it sounds like I might not be able to see an upgrade to pixel quality that the Series X promises with all those tflops.

Edit: link to HDMI data rates reference post
in the 675/550 models (and others of that gen) the HDMI bandwidth only allows 13.5Gbps. This is only enough to pass 4:2:0 @50/60hz 10/12bit (HDR).
The problem is that processing deficiencies on the units do not allow for full 10/12bit processing of that signal. The signal is accepted (hence it meeting the marketing spec) but at those frame rates the signal is internally converted to 8bit and hence you get very bad posterization/banding.
30hz or below will be full fat signals and be processed properly.

There is a thread I started on here about it. Called the 'Sony Banding' thread (or something like that I can't quite remember).
Search for it and it will tell you all you need to know. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
in the 675/550 models (and others of that gen) the HDMI bandwidth only allows 13.5Gbps. This is only enough to pass 4:2:0 @50/60hz 10/12bit (HDR).
The problem is that processing deficiencies on the units do not allow for full 10/12bit processing of the signal. The signal is accepted (hence it meeting the marketing spec) but at those frame rates the signal is internally converted to 8bit and hence you get very bad posterization/banding.

There is a thread I started on here about it. Called the 'Sony Banding' thread (or something like that I can't quite remember).
Thanks for the post. I searched for it.

Lots of banding posts...does this sound like it:

Sony VPL-VW260/285 360/385 550/675 Picture Quality Deficiences in HFR
The problem is that processing deficiencies on the units do not allow for full 10/12bit processing of the signal. The signal is accepted (hence it meeting the marketing spec) but at those frame rates the signal is internally converted to 8bit and hence you get very bad posterization/banding.

Thanks Archibald for the repeat. It is worth repeating a hundred times for sure when trying to troubleshoot niggles in picture quality as they like to say.

You really have to get scientific to freeze all the variables: media, medium, cables, source device capabilities and settings, display device capabilities and settings....and while included in medium, time of day with bandwidth and what the major streamers do with their signals; it makes my head hurt.

I usually chalk up niggles to the streamers and bandwidth. I still don’t know if I have seen a true HDR10 picture at 24 or 30 frames on my 675. The whole thing is so subjective....manufacturers get to interpret HDR and then I get to interpret their interpretations.

I believe I do not like HDR at all, but I have a big asterisk, that I do not know if I have ever seen a proper HDR movie; hence why I thank you for repeating your post above. I will keep tweaking and upgrading and for the holy grail of picture quality.

I searched for your thread, but no luck....hundreds and hundreds of sony banding threads. I searched your name and found one with a picture of bandsaw blade....was that it?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I still don’t know if I have seen a true HDR10 picture at 24 or 30 frames on my 675.

I searched your name and found one with a picture of bandsaw blade....was that it?
The 550 never got a firmware update beyond HLG and the ATV 4K fix. It only has Sony's original iteration of their HDR10 EOTF curve on it.
To get the most out of it you need to be judicious with your settings or get a Panasonic UHD bluray player with the HDR optimiser on it. 420/820/9000.
As long as the PJ is fed an HDR signal you will see its best interpretation of that HDR.

Yes, the one that had the picture of the metal banding at the start. You found the title in your post.:)

My first pictures in that thread illustrate what you would see.
I found it immensely off putting.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Anyone ever seen this problem with the Advanced IRIS clicking? (VPL-VW675ES)

Video Here: Sony IRIS Issue
Indeed, it is well reported on here.
Get in touch with Sony ASAP (especially if still under warranty) to get it booked in for repair as it will need a new lens.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Great, JUST out of warranty, so I will be calling United Radio to get it booked in.
If you can prove it was happening inside warranty, (pics or video etc) then I would hope they would honour it so soon after expiration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you can prove it was happening inside warranty, (pics or video etc) then I would hope they would honour it so soon after expiration.
Month out, Sony's response after submitting the proof of purchase invoice was I need to contact United Radio and go the out-of-warrantee route. Thanks for input!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Month out, Sony's response after submitting the proof of purchase invoice was I need to contact United Radio and go the out-of-warrantee route. Thanks for input!
United Radio seems to work separately from Sony.

You could always scan your receipt or invoice and change the date, and see if their systems are talking to each other. I bet they don’t. You have to send your receipt with the projector. I bet United Radio just cares about having the receipt or invoice. They submit the paperwork electronically to Sony to get paid....I doubt there is much cross checking.

We are not at block chain yet.

Insert scene from Big Lebowski...they don’t have a team from the crime unit investigating warranty claims, fingerprints and digital doctoring patterns.

It is obviously major flaw in the projector’s components. Instead of what would Jesus do, what would DJT do!:eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
The signal is accepted (hence it meeting the marketing spec) but at those frame rates the signal is internally converted to 8bit and hence you get very bad posterization/banding.
So. I [feel like I] was sold a bill of goods. The only reason I took the plunge on this projector is that it "fixed" the bandwidth problem with the 665ES that prevented handling of 60fps HDR signals. Instead they improved nothing and actually made it worse, by circumventing a negotiation with the source that would land on the best actually supported configuration (which would force me to choose whether to give up 4k, 60fps or HDR).

Still a good projector, just not what I thought I was getting. I don't want to believe deception was the intent, it's just hard to understand the point of implying that 4:2:0 is HDR even at 8-bit.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
So. I [feel like I] was sold a bill of goods. The only reason I took the plunge on this projector is that it "fixed" the bandwidth problem with the 665ES that prevented handling of 60fps HDR signals. Instead they improved nothing and actually made it worse, by circumventing a negotiation with the source that would land on the best actually supported configuration (which would force me to choose whether to give up 4k, 60fps or HDR).

Still a good projector, just not what I thought I was getting. I don't want to believe deception was the intent, it's just hard to understand the point of implying that 4:2:0 is HDR even at 8-bit.
That is exactly why I bought a 550 over the 500 and 520 before it. I waited until the specs said that HDR would be supported at HFRs.
The marketing wasn't lying in the true sense of the word, but the interpretation was tenuous at best.
I would simply not have bought the 550 had I even had a sniff in any reviews at the time that 50/60hz HDR was only supported, but the implementation of such at those frame rates (as you say) broke the image in the name of progress.
Left a very sour taste in the mouth. At US prices the feeling would be even worse.

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
32 Posts
I received the bulb and that did not fix it as I suspected.

The light coming through the lense was about the size of an eraser on a number 2 pencil.

Called Sony. They sent me a label. Shipped it out today. Cross my fingers on the warranty. The initial call doesn’t get into the warranty. Sony Syracuse makes the decision. So I will have to cross my fingers that my eBay purchase, with warranty included works.
I registered it no problem on the website. It was in a sealed box. I even videoed myself unboxing the thing just in case. Seemed like it was brand new. The bulb had a couple hours on it. It is a B stock as it was described in the listing and as it is B on the serial number plate.

Posting for someone else in the same boat. Although their are already similar stories posted. Forgive me if this is repeat info.
Well United Radio called me today and told me that B stock only comes with a 90 day warranty. :(

So the Ebay listing, which is not listed anymore was on the spectrum of misleading to fraudulent.

United Radio Charges:
  1. $75 no issue fee
  2. $270 to begin the repair
  3. $50 for shipping
So right now I am at hopefully $320 and not $125.

Can’t wait to hear what the part costs.
She was nice and told me they would be in touch about every 2 days.

Was the $4,892 all in on eBay on 9/29/2019 worth it?

I think it was. The machine was in a sealed box and bag and was in immaculate condition. It worked flawlessly until 9/19/20.

Add in this repair and I will hopefully still feel ahead of the game....until a laser Sony creeps into my frontal lobe. It might already be there.

I always feel guilty for spending money on a projector, but people buy those ATVs and spend way more than most Sony projectors. I see people in some pretty run down houses and a brand new side by side...so I may go all in on a Laser Sony at some point. I guarantee the projector gets used more than most ATVs. Bed, car and TV....one uses them way to much in life to not get a top of the line item.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I always feel guilty for spending money on a projector, but people buy those ATVs and spend way more than most Sony projectors. I see people in some pretty run down houses and a brand new side by side...so I may go all in on a Laser Sony at some point. I guarantee the projector gets used more than most ATVs. Bed, car and TV....one uses them way to much in life to not get a top of the line item.
I feel the same, conflicted, but use and enjoyment the home theater trump's everything. And I got it all done later in life when technology was more or less optimum, we'd paid off our house, I'd finished all of the renovation and major projects. We've owned one car our entire life, which we rarely drive. I ride a bicycle to work so I don't even have fuel or public transport costs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like a lot of the 675es projectors (and my original 665es) had/has a lot of Iris issues.
I had to send in my original 665es 3 times (with a stuck open iris) until they could not fix it and sent me the 675es B unit, now that unit's Iris is messing up.
United radio checked it and verified the iris issue just waiting for Sony to hopefully do the right thing and honor the original warranty of my original purchase (665es) which is a few weeks out.

On anything else I would be ready to switch to another brand projector but when these units are working the image they throw is incredible.
their new flag ship projector with 10k lumens and the smaller LCD chips with infinite blacks sounds awesome...but I am sure it will be 10 years before that tech hits the sub $10k market...

BTW I would only use Sony Bulbs in these, not worth the hassle on a 3rd party bulb that could pop...

2121 - 2140 of 2215 Posts