AVS Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2207 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see your free Gandalfnet and raise you $1450!

Just got my call from United Radio and it will be $1450 all in. They have to replace the lense, which I assume houses the iris.

Feeling a bit salty about the whole thing. It is obviously a defective part.

Is it worth calling Sony to discuss? Any one have any luck?

B stock warranty giving me the big fire hose.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts

Just got my call from United Radio and it will be $1450 all in. They have to replace the lense, which I assume houses the iris.

Yes, the lens unit has the iris integrated inside.
Depending on any evidence you may have of your issue inside your warranty period, (or even if not) I would indeed maybe tackle Sony directly.
Worth a shot.
Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Yeah but I bought my 665es for a lot more than you bought your "b-stock" 675es so even with the $1500 I bet you are still payed Waay less than I did :)
I only got the 675es B because they could not fix the iris issue with my original projector but I did get the 3 year warranty from the original purchase

Now remember you only get a 90day warranty on the fix and parts...

Keith

·
Registered
32 Posts
Keith, the real tell between what you paid and what I paid is the date of purchase. I bet the price difference is explained away by your purchase being a lot earlier than mine.

The amazing part I find is that Sony has(d) the market cornered for so long with native 4k projectors.

Still really no non-short throw, non-Sony Native 4k, 8.3 million pixels in the projector world. (I believe this is still true for non-commercial projectors)

That is a long run in the tech world for an early adopter.

On another note, I called Sony directly and gave my sad eyed unsatisfied customer story with known defect thrown in a few times for good measure. Sounds like they may pick up the part or split the price with me. Will know in a couple days where the So y team talks to the UR team.

Thanks Keith and Archibald for your posts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Keith, the real tell between what you paid and what I paid is the date of purchase. I bet the price difference is explained away by your purchase being a lot earlier than mine.

The amazing part I find is that Sony has(d) the market cornered for so long with native 4k projectors.

Still really no non-short throw, non-Sony Native 4k, 8.3 million pixels in the projector world. (I believe this is still true for non-commercial projectors)

That is a long run in the tech world for an early adopter.

On another note, I called Sony directly and gave my sad eyed unsatisfied customer story with known defect thrown in a few times for good measure. Sounds like they may pick up the part or split the price with me. Will know in a couple days where the So y team talks to the UR team.

Thanks Keith and Archibald for your posts.
is the known defect the iris?
and did they fix it in the new lens assemblies?

cheers

keith

·
Registered
32 Posts
is the known defect the iris?
and did they fix it in the new lens assemblies?

cheers

keith
I don’t think so. You just have the people with the problem posting on this thread.
Although, I don’t know the numbers of projectors sold, nor do I know the number of defective irises.

I simply made it seem like it was a known issue when I called, which it is, but tried to embellish it a little with my wording to make it seem like I was in the know about the epidemic of defective iris devices.

I think a bit of an echo chamber in this thread on the irises, but I don’t frequent the other threads.

In my case I believe it to be the iris. They told me I needed a new lens assembly. I did not speak to the techs, just the customer facing agent with sparse notes. When I asked if it indeed was the iris...I got the it doesn’t say much in the notes line.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don’t think so. You just have the people with the problem posting on this thread.
Although, I don’t know the numbers of projectors sold, nor do I know the number of defective irises.

I simply made it seem like it was a known issue when I called, which it is, but tried to embellish it a little with my wording to make it seem like I was in the know about the epidemic of defective iris devices.

I think a bit of an echo chamber in this thread on the irises, but I don’t frequent the other threads.

In my case I believe it to be the iris. They told me I needed a new lens assembly. I did not speak to the techs, just the customer facing agent with sparse notes. When I asked if it indeed was the iris...I got the it doesn’t say much in the notes line.
well I am on the 3rd day of "they are working on it" since they got the parts on Wednesday, I am starting to think there might be other issues gulp

·
Registered
5,584 Posts

If you had a clicking noise and maybe pumping brightness, it was definitely the iris, which is integrated at the centre of the lens. Hence new lens assembly. ;):)

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
well I am on the 3rd day of "they are working on it" since they got the parts on Wednesday, I am starting to think there might be other issues gulp
There is a fair bit of disassembly on these to get the lens out and you don't know how many other jobs they may have.
If they have found other issues, then at least you will have those fixed too. :)

Reactions: gandalfnet

·
Registered
32 Posts
This United Radio is quite a company. I have never been involved with a company that gives you updates on a regular cadence like they do. They said they would update about every 2-3 days and they have kept their word. They just called with an update on Saturday, today.

I just saw a meme that posited that if your call volume is unusually high all the time, then that is really your usual call volume.

One has to think that many companies could save money with their customer call centers by flipping the script and take the budget dollars and deploy them in a proactive call pattern on certain transactions or certain time periods, much like United Radio.
“Hi this is Comcast with your fortnightly Wednesday call, any issues you'd like to log?”

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well got my unit back and it just cannot get in focus as good as it did.... it was tack sharp before to the point where I could see the lines between the pixels up close, now it just looks smeary and not as sharp, the sharpness also looks way not uniform through out... ugh so depressed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any chance of glass needing a good cleaning? Condensation due to temperature variations and it will go away?

That sucks and I will be on pins and needles until I get my unit back.

Did you ask for your part back by chance?

Did you do a reset to default and an auto calibration? I bet that was the second thing you did.

i hope to hear you report back that you missed setting x, y and z and it is all good.
Could it be you are hypersensitive? Anyone able to give a second opinion in your household?

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Well got my unit back and it just cannot get in focus as good as it did.... it was tack sharp before to the point where I could see the lines between the pixels up close, now it just looks smeary and not as sharp, the sharpness also looks way not uniform through out... ugh so depressed
That is kind of crappy, but it would seem you went from an extremely good lens to a middling lens. Does it focus the same across the screen?
Any pics? Try using a pattern to get it focussed rather than the internal patterns. It can make a difference.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Any chance of glass needing a good cleaning? Condensation due to temperature variations and it will go away?

That sucks and I will be on pins and needles until I get my unit back.

Did you ask for your part back by chance?

Did you do a reset to default and an auto calibration? I bet that was the second thing you did.

i hope to hear you report back that you missed setting x, y and z and it is all good.
Could it be you are hypersensitive? Anyone able to give a second opinion in your household?
I agree that you don't know what may have touched the element whilst in for repair, but be careful cleaning the lens at any time.
Make sure it is cold and that you use appropriate cleaner and cloths.
It is pretty easy to scratch the lens on these.
I think Sony really went too far in the cost cutting of these lenses. They simply aren't consistent enough.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is kind of crappy, but it would seem you went from an extremely good lens to a middling lens. Does it focus the same across the screen?
Any pics? Try using a pattern to get it focussed rather than the internal patterns. It can make a difference.
Lens is clean, it just never gets tack sharp it never looks like my old 665es or 675es

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Any thoughts?
The only thing I could suggest would be to change the front elements over. However you no longer have your old device, if I recall correctly, so that is out of the question.
Only other thing that comes to mind is to call Sony and say this one falls short of the standards you are used to from your Sony projectors and see what they say.

Reactions: gandalfnet

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only thing I could suggest would be to change the front elements over. However you no longer have your old device, if I recall correctly, so that is out of the question.
Only other thing that comes to mind is to call Sony and say this one falls short of the standards you are used to from your Sony projectors and see what they say.
then you agree it looks like barf

2141 - 2160 of 2207 Posts