2161 - 2180 of 2207 Posts

·
Registered
5,584 Posts

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Not sure if I can take any more of this... Jvc sure is sounding good lol
At least they are willing to do something about it. I think do the zone alignment and panel alignment first.
JVCs come with their own set of issues too btw. ;)

Reactions: gandalfnet

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
going to mess with the panel alignment but not hopeful, you would think they would have a field tech in big markets...
Make sure the unit is fully warmed up before doing that and make sure the alignment is reset before adjustment. :)

Reactions: gandalfnet

·
Registered
32 Posts
This United Radio is quite a company. I have never been involved with a company that gives you updates on a regular cadence like they do. They said they would update about every 2-3 days and they have kept their word. They just called with an update on Saturday, today.

I just saw a meme that posited that if your call volume is unusually high all the time, then that is really your usual call volume.

One has to think that many companies could save money with their customer call centers by flipping the script and take the budget dollars and deploy them in a proactive call pattern on certain transactions or certain time periods, much like United Radio.
“Hi this is Comcast with your fortnightly Wednesday call, any issues you'd like to log?”
Well I got some very strange good news today. Trying to temper my excitement.

Received this email from United Radio as I missed their call:
Good morning,

I wanted to reach out about the Sony VPLVW675ES, s/n xxxxxx, you have in with us for repair. Sony has informed us that this projector was already exchanged for a VPLVW695ES with s/n YYYYY. Can you confirm you have received the new projector? If so, why was this one sent in to United Radio? It likely should have been returned to Sony.

Thank you,
I am excited and thrilled about the prospect of getting the 695, but also confused as I have received no notification from Sony about this decision or more importantly a tracking number. I did take the advice of this board and call Sony after receiving the out of warranty quote from UR.

I am nervous about calling to find out if they have really shipped a 695 versus repairing my 675. I am afraid if I call they could realize that “a mistake might have been made” and then cancel the whole thing. When I called Sony I was left with the feeling she was going to hook me up with some sort of deal, but did not envision a 695. Fingers crossed.

I just called Sony, but the guy did not seem like he was in the ball...said it was still in discussion between UR and Sony

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also just spoke with UR...he was about to charge my card for the repair, but held off to get to the bottom of the story. He was unable to answer if it was approved for exchange or needs to go the out of warranty repair route. I told him what I wanted if I had my druthers :)....695 please sir!

18 GBS is all I can think about now!

not even sure if 18 GBS matters since all my HDR content essentially comes from AppleTV. I have a hard time believing they are able to stream full fat HDR in iTunes/AppleTV+, Netflix, or Prime.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well I got some very strange good news today. Trying to temper my excitement.

Received this email from United Radio as I missed their call:

I am excited and thrilled about the prospect of getting the 695, but also confused as I have received no notification from Sony about this decision or more importantly a tracking number. I did take the advice of this board and call Sony after receiving the out of warranty quote from UR.

I am nervous about calling to find out if they have really shipped a 695 versus repairing my 675. I am afraid if I call they could realize that “a mistake might have been made” and then cancel the whole thing. When I called Sony I was left with the feeling she was going to hook me up with some sort of deal, but did not envision a 695. Fingers crossed.

I just called Sony, but the guy did not seem like he was in the ball...said it was still in discussion between UR and Sony
Hmm, what if the person who sold you the projector 675es was suppose to send it back in exchange but some how kept it some how and sold it on ebay?
I hope that is not the case...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also just spoke with UR...he was about to charge my card for the repair, but held off to get to the bottom of the story. He was unable to answer if it was approved for exchange or needs to go the out of warranty repair route. I told him what I wanted if I had my druthers :)....695 please sir!

18 GBS is all I can think about now!

not even sure if 18 GBS matters since all my HDR content essentially comes from AppleTV. I have a hard time believing they are able to stream full fat HDR in iTunes/AppleTV+, Netflix, or Prime.
18 gbs is cool and everything but the vast majority of stuff I watch in 4k is 24 frame so it only really matters.

bro, you need to get a disc player and play some 4k discs, streaming just looks pale in comparison to physical media

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm, what if the person who sold you the projector 675es was suppose to send it back in exchange but some how kept it some how and sold it on ebay?
I don’t think so. I registered as soon as I received it, and Sony pulled up my registration too. Not saying it is out of the realm of possibility, but unlikely. Plus the guy on eBay is still there, and he uses his real name in his store.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don’t think so. I registered as soon as I received it, and Sony pulled up my registration too. Not saying it is out of the realm of possibility, but unlikely. Plus the guy on eBay is still there, and he uses his real name in his store.
well it would not be the 1st time Sony messed up on their serial numbers, the 675es B I got to replace the 665es had a different serial on the box than the projector and the box was the only one in their system. it took over a week to get it straighten out. I hope you get the 695 tho that would be cool

·
Registered
32 Posts
18 gbs is cool and everything but the vast majority of stuff I watch in 4k is 24 frame so it only really matters.

bro, you need to get a disc player and play some 4k discs, streaming just looks pale in comparison to physical media
STOP!!!!! I don’t want to hear this! Ignorance is blissful. :)

I have been buying up 4K movies like crazy on iTunes. When they hit $4.99 and are 4K I buy. If they are HD and hit $4.99 and I think they have a good chance of getting remastered I buy.

I started down the rabbit hole of buying discs and a disc player. Instead of buying a disc player I went with downloading 4K Star Wars and a terabyte USB C drive That was a rabbit hole trying to find the right app and prevent buffering.

That is when I realized it is all streaming; just 5 foot or 10 foot or 1,000 mile cables is the difference.

Streaming from storage device to app and processor then stream to projector and its processor and hope the result is fine.

I will buy a disc and player and see what the difference is.

The version of 4K Star Wars on USB C disc versus Disney+ Star Wars 4K on AppleTV did not make me a believer. I did not see much difference.

I do see big differences however between AppleTV 4K and Amazon 4K devices. AppleTV 4K wins hands down.

I will report back when I buy a 4K Sony player if they end up upgrading me to the VW695.

·
Registered
70 Posts
STOP!!!!! I don’t want to hear this! Ignorance is blissful. :)

I have been buying up 4K movies like crazy on iTunes. When they hit $4.99 and are 4K I buy. If they are HD and hit $4.99 and I think they have a good chance of getting remastered I buy.

I started down the rabbit hole of buying discs and a disc player. Instead of buying a disc player I went with downloading 4K Star Wars and a terabyte USB C drive That was a rabbit hole trying to find the right app and prevent buffering.

That is when I realized it is all streaming; just 5 foot or 10 foot or 1,000 mile cables is the difference.

Streaming from storage device to app and processor then stream to projector and its processor and hope the result is fine.

I will buy a disc and player and see what the difference is.

The version of 4K Star Wars on USB C disc versus Disney+ Star Wars 4K on AppleTV did not make me a believer. I did not see much difference.

I do see big differences however between AppleTV 4K and Amazon 4K devices. AppleTV 4K wins hands down.

I will report back when I buy a 4K Sony player if they end up upgrading me to the VW695.
its all about the bandwidth of the disc and the output circuitry in the blu ray player.
I have an oppo 203 and the 4k, 1080p upscaling and 3d is jaw dropping with this projector.
I have the highest end roku with local files and its not the same.

·
Registered
32 Posts
its all about the bandwidth of the disc and the output circuitry in the blu ray player.
I have an oppo 203 and the 4k, 1080p upscaling and 3d is jaw dropping with this projector.
Ok.

I forgot to mention...at some point I believe iTunes and MoviesAnywhere will open the gate on downloading full fat 4K movies.
Still need pretty good hardware to get it to the projector though...I will look for something that can handle discs and adhoc files.

·
Registered
32 Posts

The review above shows the difference. States audio is pretty compressed too, although the review was only focused on video.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One other thing, the 675 handles streaming very well. I have been super impressed. Any issues I see is usually bandwidth, device or platform related.

In terms of discs, some of the best stuff comes out in long form streaming...such as GOT, Raised by Wolves minus the last episode, and Tehran has been pretty decent. Wish I had my projector for them. Was late discovering Raised by Wolves.
Definitely won’t be converting collection to disc, but may just buy disc with digital code going forward of I love it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I watched GOT on discs with Atmos all the way until the last season then I had to stream it, it looked and sounded awful compared to the discs....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Keith....I think this is what is going on after having talked with Sony just now. I don’t think it is anything nefarious...........yet, but an exchange was made at a dealer with the serial numbers given. I think the eBay guy used to have an AV store too.

I noticed some strange updates on my Sony ticket this afternoon and called Sony again. It sounds like there was a dealer exchange at some point. I didn’t really understand and I try to purposely pretend like I do understand, when I know they are not really explaining it very well in hopes that a mistake in my favor has been made.

When UR calls tomorrow with the final verdict, I will make sure I understand completely if it is not in my favor.

If they say a 695 is on the way, then I will be happy with the poor explanations and anxiously await a tracking number. I will wait for UR’s call tomorrow as that is when he said he would update me.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok.

I forgot to mention...at some point I believe iTunes and MoviesAnywhere will open the gate on downloading full fat 4K movies.
Still need pretty good hardware to get it to the projector though...I will look for something that can handle discs and adhoc files.
Where did you hear that about itunes? That would be fantastic if they did - even if it was just their current size, lossy audio and all. Download offline in the morning, watch at night no issues

2161 - 2180 of 2207 Posts