AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 2253 Posts

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Are you adding something not on the source? Source would be 4:2:0 unless something new being made I'm not aware of. Are you running games on your 18gbps RS500 ?

Chroma upscaling. Yes.

Uhd Br only has 1920x1080 chroma channel at 4:2:0. Upscaling it to 4:4:4 makes the chroma channel 4k.

Google it, its real. Its also a major reason a lot of people here use MadVR on an HTPC. Which I also run at the same resolution and bit rate.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Just curious if any of you guys have the Panasonic UHD player?

I output 3840/24p 4:4:4 12Bit with Deep Colour On from that player, and a little bit of google tells me that's around 13.4gbps....

The Panasonic has truly excellent up-scaling, and chroma up-sampling.

Are any of you guys running similar settings? Is the Sony able to pass that signal?

I should have my 675ES soon and I do have the Panny UB900. Remind me in about a week and I can try whatever you need.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Chroma upscaling. Yes.

Uhd Br only has 1920x1080 chroma channel at 4:2:0. Upscaling it to 4:4:4 makes the chroma channel 4k.

Google it, its real. Its also a major reason a lot of people here use MadVR on an HTPC. Which I also run at the same resolution and bit rate.

So in turn if you use 4:2:2, does it make it sort of a "faux-k" for chroma sub-sampling, putting chroma somewhere in between 2K and 4K (3K?)?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
So in turn if you use 4:2:2, does it make it sort of a "faux-k" for chroma sub-sampling, putting chroma somewhere in between 2K and 4K (3K?)?
Kinda. Chroma is measured in vertical and horizontal axis.

4K 3840x2160 4:2:0 video has only 1920x1080 color resolution.
4K 3840x2160 4:2:2 video has only 1920x2160 color resolution.
4K 3840x2160 4:4:4 video has full 3840x2160 color resolution.

And here is an image zoomed in 1000% showing the chroma up-scaling effect. Its subtle, but colours are fuller.

Original shot:

Click here to compare:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/196488

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
OK thanks Javs. That's what I was saying, so glad you could confirm. :)

I was kind of saying that tongue in cheek in relation to the small improvement it makes, just like faux-K resolution for the JVCs as compared to true 4K resolution for the Sonys, which has a visible improvement, yet many champion the JVC and say it "doesn't" make enough difference "in the real world", although I beg to differ based on what I've seen personally.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Now that I have my 675 up and running fine, I have several issues/questions (now that I am also using the Oppo 203 for UHD through Marantz 8802A).

1) When viewing 3D discs, we get a flicker in the right lens (RF) with Star Trek Beyond and demo UHD discs, for example. Could be the RF glasses of course (they say registered when holding down the button indicator on them); doubt it is Oppo or settings, doubt it is HDMI cables. Has anyone noticed 3D flickering issues on 675?

2) When viewing DirecTV NFL playoffs there is blurring during motion. Tried different settings Film 1/2, Reference, TV, etc. (all of them), Impulse FI, etc. with no luck. DirecTV goes through Marantz, not Oppo. Did not have this with previous MF-1 (DILA), same system. Anyone else notice this, or have setting recommendations? Tried varying video output settings from Marantz from pass through to internal 4k scaling, both blur.

3) An Oppo issue, for sure, but SACD's don't play correctly when projector is NOT turned on. Some discussion as to whether the 675 may have an HDCP setting that is always on so the Oppo cannot sync with the projector unless it was turned on (or off after having been on). (I can alleviate problem with tech support suggestion of setting Oppo to Source Direct, but then I can't force video output settings (presumably to 4:2:2; 10 bit; HDR on or Auto). What might others set Oppo video outputs to with the 675 projector (for those that have bitten on the Oppo)?

4) No 4k PQ vs blue-ray viewing differences yet, but STBeyond is not True 4k. Wife interested in buying 3D discs, myself 4k, but that was one of the few that had both. Will search for recommended 4k UHDs other than comic or animated movies.

5) HDR strip metadata suggested constantly on Oppo forums (to still get BT 2020 but in SDR so picture is not dark in HDR). But 675 should be able to handle HDR 10 bit 4:2:2 with ease. Will search for recommended 4k HDR discs.
Just a quick note to thoes with a 8802A I have seen first hand how it degrades the picture through HDMI Have others seen or tested it ?

thanks .
Asab

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Just a quick note to thoes with a 8802A I have seen first hand how it degrades the picture through HDMI Have others seen or tested it ?

thanks .
Asab
Do you mean bypassing entirely the 8802 or just switching off 'Video Conversion'?

I used to think Video Conversion degraded the image and messed with Chroma a bit, I am not of that opinion anymore since I took photos of a chroma chart with my SLR close up and took a good look, it looks identical with and without Video Conversion on.

I have not tested completely bypassing the AVR though, can you comment on that? Better yet, got any photos on what it does?

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
best settings recommended

Have the VW675 setup currently with Panasonic UB900 and Lumagen Pro 4440.

Please advise your best settings for HDR , HDR to SDR BT2020, 3D etc plus any additional tips certainly. I'll use your settings as a starting point and work from there.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Javs

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just got 675es paired with Panasonic 4K and Marantz AV8802A and want some recommended settings from experience with this equipment(video conversion on Marantz on?, settings on Panasonic?). Was under the impression the upgrade of 675es was to get the 18GBS HDMI and handle 4k60 4:4:4, not true? What does the Lumagen/MadVR do for me? Movies #1 but do play video games as well. Sorry for all the questions, been on this site for a long time but new as a member/poster.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just got 675es paired with Panasonic 4K and Marantz AV8802A and want some recommended settings from experience with this equipment(video conversion on Marantz on?, settings on Panasonic?). Was under the impression the upgrade of 675es was to get the 18GBS HDMI and handle 4k60 4:4:4, not true? What does the Lumagen/MadVR do for me? Movies #1 but do play video games as well. Sorry for all the questions, been on this site for a long time but new as a member/poster.

The 675 is not fully 18 Gbps compatible but it will handle 4K 10-bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
At 4:4:4 60p? Also, can't get HDR to work for Netflix on either the Xbox one S or my Panasonic? I've done all the standard.....Pay for Netflix, it's set on high of course I'd refer to cables but my Panasonic passes 4K HDR through the 4K discs......it works on my OLED but not on my 675es. Any suggestions? Also, my other question would be what does the Lumagen/MadVR do for me?

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
As hasta said the 675 is not capable of 18gbps the new spec is 10.2 up from 8 with the 665 . You will be able to run HDR BD movies with 10.2 because all 4K HDR movies made now specs at 4:2:0 24P . If you read through the forums you will see that most of us are converting HDR to SDRBT2020 anyway for the 4K material we do have . 90% of what I watch is still 1080 up-scaled anyway . If you are a gamer the 10.2 could be a bottleneck depending on what level you game . madvr is PC based video playback software some use for converting 60i to 24P changing chroma color subsampling etc but it will not convert HDR to SDR, you'll need a Integral HDFury or Lumagen pro to do that . Actually, the new Oppo 203 player will also do this conversion in addition to being a best in class 4K player . If you use madvr to add chroma to the source digitally, this will increase processing speed requirements and the 10.2 could be a bottleneck.

Bottom line 4K 60 4:4:4 is not the spec for 4K UHD you are good to go. Cheapest option to convert HDR to SDR is the hdfury, $250 new or buy the Oppo 4K player $600 . Lumagen pro starts out $5000 range I believe . Best to check out the forums, do a little reading , see what suits your requirements.

I just installed the Sony VW675 myself yesterday, also have the JVC RS600 . I'm looking for same settings you are after to start out, will modify from there for my own requirements .

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Now that I have my 675 up and running fine, I have several issues/questions (now that I am also using the Oppo 203 for UHD through Marantz 8802A).

4) No 4k PQ vs blue-ray viewing differences yet, but STBeyond is not True 4k.
QUOTE]

So you do not see any significant improvement in a 2K BR vs 4K ( upscaled to 4K) UHD disc??

·
Registered
581 Posts
jlanzy,

2k scaled to 4k is a tricky issue. Some blurays are true 4k, some just upscaled from 2k masters, etc. and the scaling can be done in the UHD player, in the AVR or in the 675. I tried all 3 as you suggest, but nothing jumps out yet (again, need some true 4k disc masters).

I haven't watched 2K BR as it seems pointless to compare (see OPPO 203 forum) as studios may process HDR differently and hence disc comparisons are not necessarily relevant. I will get to that as I now have the 203 and 105 both connected to different inputs in my Marantz and will switch back and forth. Of course, I'd have to play around with the settings awhile to draw any conclusions...but I will try to repost.

All.

I have definitely confirmed that it is the Oppo 203 that has 3D issues as my Oppo 105 works perfect with the 675/Marantz and same RF glasses. We'll watch 3D with the 105 for now.

It is disturbing to read the HDR benefits are being stripped out by most as this was part of my decision to get the 675. Presume HDR discs will improve. Haven't yet tried stripping metadata in Oppo to get the SDR with expanded color space yet and don't have external Fury, etc.

Does anyone recommend any HDR discs that are good demonstrations without converting to SDR?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Except for a few discs, 4K doesn't pop yet (because DI are mostly 2K). And I have watched 90% of the stuff that's out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
262 Posts
Except for a few discs, 4K doesn't pop yet (because DI are mostly 2K). And I have watched 90% of the stuff that's out.
What does "DI" stand for?

·
Registered
581 Posts

thanks .
Asab
I too am very intrigued by this comment. I constantly try it both ways, but not bypassing the 8802A. Could you elaborate on how the video is degraded? I don't see it, but still prefer to pass through 4k and let the UHD upscale, or just let the projector scale it. Really unsure of which is best or if it matters. Note that the 675 is TRUE 4k so if you scale prior to that, the projector much scale again (I think?).

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I too am very intrigued by this comment. I constantly try it both ways, but not bypassing the 8802A. Could you elaborate on how the video is degraded? I don't see it, but still prefer to pass through 4k and let the UHD upscale, or just let the projector scale it. Really unsure of which is best or if it matters. Note that the 675 is TRUE 4k so if you scale prior to that, the projector much scale again (I think?).

Sony's video processing is considered almost unsurpassed except for something like a Lumagen vp. Oppo's video processing to upscale is also top notch. But if the Sony receives an upscaled 4K from a 1080p bluray I'm pretty sure it doesn't undo it and re-scales it to the projector's native 4K, but rather displays it as is.

·
Banned
125 Posts
Im not sure what is doing it however the picture when put through the 8802a was less clear then if we went directly to the projector. We also tried a Onkyo RZ3100 and it was way better (sharper and Clear) I just wonder why ?? I do have a Fiber HDMI on order and will test again......

Asab

481 - 500 of 2253 Posts