AVS Forum banner

3081 - 3100 of 3620 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Another question for the group. What is your seating distance from your screen in terms of screen WIDTH? I saw on Projector Central they recommend 1.5x as seating distance, with a range of 1.2x to 1.8x.

I'm currently sitting 11'3" from a 123" Cima Tiburon which is 107.2" wide. My viewing distance is 1.26x screen width. What's yours?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Is the ST130 an AT screen? I’m looking for a screen and I heard great things about this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All Stewart front projection screens are available with an AT option. We do our own THX certified micro-perfing in house on our own machine so we have compete control over the perforation process.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
Another question for the group. What is your seating distance from your screen in terms of screen WIDTH? I saw on Projector Central they recommend 1.5x as seating distance, with a range of 1.2x to 1.8x.

I'm currently sitting 11'3" from a 123" Cima Tiburon which is 107.2" wide. My viewing distance is 1.26x screen width. What's yours?
I have two screens. My wife would prefer we didn't sit closer, so this is where we are at currently -

Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, StudioTek 130 G3 material - 50.2 x 118 x 128.2 diagonal, 2.35:1 aspect ratio - 108" viewing distance - .915 screen widths.

Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreen, Neve 1.1 material – 59.5 x 106 x 122 diagonal - 1.78:1 aspect ratio - 122" viewing distance - 1.15 screen widths.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just installed my 115 inch firehawk electric screen. Wow. It’s beautiful. The firehawk is a much superior fabric than the SI slate. I don’t see any shimmering artifacts. No ripples or wrinkles.
Can’t say enough about stewart’s customer service. I was kept updated throughout the manufacturing process. At my behest they even sent me pics and videos of my screen before it was shipped out

·
Registered
62 Posts
Questions for the experts here. I was recommended to check these screens out but not sure which one would be best for me or where to start. My room size is 23’Lx12’Wx9’H. I haven’t bought the projector yet but will likely be going with JVC RS540 or maybe a RS1000 if I can find a good deal. With the narrow width I will likely need acoustically transparent screen to be able to enjoy a larger screen for the more distant viewing, rear seats at about 18’ and front at 12’. I do like a little bit of ambient light but also understand it could fade the blacks, etc. I don’t have to have it and will plan to keep things dark. What screens should I be looking at? Thanks!
Anybody?

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
@Wastingmytime, when I recommended in another thread that you post questions in the Stewart thread I wasn't aware that you were considering an AT screen. The previous response from @Don Stewart to another poster also applies to your question:

All Stewart front projection screens are available with an AT option. We do our own THX certified micro-perfing in house on our own machine so we have compete control over the perforation process.
So, for example, if viewing mostly in the dark you might want to go with Stewart's reference StudioTek 130 and if viewing mostly with minimal lighting you might want to consider Phantom HALR.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Noob question. On the specs for this Stewart screen it says minimum throw distance of 1.3 X Image Width. What does the minimum throw distance represent? Distance in achieving 1.3 gain?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Noob question. On the specs for this Stewart screen it says minimum throw distance of 1.3 X Image Width. What does the minimum throw distance represent? Distance in achieving 1.3 gain?

Has to do with potential for hotspotting. any screen with gain can exhibit a "hotspot" if the projector is too close.

·
Registered
18,116 Posts

Hotspotting and other potential problems are eliminated by having your projector throw at the minimum screen throw or further. In the case of the ST130, it would be hard with most projectors ( JVC or Sony 4K models for instance ) to be too close - the projector throw range won't allow it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Has to do with potential for hotspotting. any screen with gain can exhibit a "hotspot" if the projector is too close.

Ok so as long as I’m no closer than the minimum throw distance given I shouldn’t be experiencing hot spotting correct?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hotspotting and other potential problems are eliminated by having your projector throw at the minimum screen throw or further. In the case of the ST130, it would be hard with most projectors ( JVC or Sony 4K models for instance ) to be too close - the projector throw range won't allow it.

Thank you. Now I understand

·
Registered
62 Posts
@Wastingmytime, when I recommended in another thread that you post questions in the Stewart thread I wasn't aware that you were considering an AT screen. The previous response from @Don Stewart to another poster also applies to your question:

So, for example, if viewing mostly in the dark you might want to go with Stewart's reference StudioTek 130 and if viewing mostly with minimal lighting you might want to consider Phantom HALR.
That’s helpful thanks! Yes I wasn’t sure if I wanted or needed an AT screen either. It’s a consideration to increase my screen size for my viewing distance. My concern was whether using an AT screen degrades the quality of the picture as my HT guys says or if he’s wrong.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
That’s helpful thanks! Yes I wasn’t sure if I wanted or needed an AT screen either. It’s a consideration to increase my screen size for my viewing distance. My concern was whether using an AT screen degrades the quality of the picture as my HT guys says or if he’s wrong.
I've never used an AT screen or even researched them, so I'll leave it to others to tell you how much perforations in AT screens affects the performance compared with the same screen material unperforated. If going with AT allows you to use an appropriately larger screen it may be a matter of understanding any trade-offs. For example, I would think that perforations would reduce a screen material's gain and make it less bright.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've never used an AT screen or even researched them, so I'll leave it to others to tell you how much perforations in AT screens affects the performance compared with the same screen material unperforated. If going with AT allows you to use an appropriately larger screen it may be a matter of understanding any trade-offs. For example, I would think that perforations would reduce a screen material's gain and make it less bright.

Yes that’s what I’m curious about as well. I know AT will be less gain, but by how much. When the time is ready I’ll call them and ask.

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
You're correct - you have to pick your poison. AT isn't as bright, and sometimes I think it's not quite as sharp. But, center channel audio is better. it all depends on how you design your room.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Yes that’s what I’m curious about as well. I know AT will be less gain, but by how much. When the time is ready I’ll call them and ask.

The Stewart THX Micro-Perf pattern is 10.2% porous.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
The Stewart THX Micro-Perf pattern is 10.2% porous.
Eliminating ~10% of the screen material should reduce gain by ~10%, which perceptually is not a huge hit. So, for example, with Stewart's micro perfs StudioTek 130's 1.3 gain would be reduced to ~1.17 gain and Phantom HALR's 1.0 gain would go down to ~0.9 gain. That all needs to get factored in with screen size and projector lumens to optimize the total system.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Eliminating ~10% of the screen material should reduce gain by ~10%, which perceptually is not a huge hit. So, for example, with Stewart's micro perfs StudioTek 130's 1.3 gain would be reduced to ~1.17 gain and Phantom HALR's 1.0 gain would go down to ~0.9 gain. That all needs to get factored in with screen size and projector lumens to optimize the total system.

Perfect. I see that isn’t much of a hit at all. I’ll be looking into 130” 2:4:1 screen. Projector is a NX7 with 1900 lumens.

3081 - 3100 of 3620 Posts