AVS Forum banner

3121 - 3140 of 3696 Posts

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
What is the current approximate production lead time for a custom Stewart screen?

In other words, from date a screen is ordered from a Stewart dealer, approximately how long currently before the screen will ship?
Size and model you are looking at?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Size and model you are looking at?

Stewart ElectriScreen 240:1 153" StudeoTek 130 ordered about a week ago from AVScience.

Just trying to provide my local installer a guesstimate of arrival.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Stewart ElectriScreen 240:1 153" StudeoTek 130 ordered about a week ago from AVScience.

Just trying to provide my local installer a guesstimate of arrival.

Thanks,

Chris
Hi Chris,

After receiving a PO from dealer, the manufacturing time is around 10 working days plus shipping time.

I hope that helps and thank you for your order.

Best regards,
Don

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Chris,
After receiving a PO from dealer, the manufacturing time is around 10 working days plus shipping time.
I hope that helps and thank you for your order.
Wow! That's a lot faster then was expecting. I expected production to take over a month. Pleasant surprise.
Thanks Don!

Reactions: Todd G.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Hi mate. Out of interest, what screen do you have? I'm after an AT setup and am currently yo-yoing between fabrics and types. I was set on Seymour XD - partly because of the cheap manual masking options - and am now looking at V6 and micro perforated options. Viewing distance will be between 12 and 13.5ft
I have two projector systems in my house. Both are 2.35 screens. one is a Seymour 130" curved with the UF material because the seating is close about 11 feet for the 1st row, I also use an anamorphic lens with this system. The other is a Stewart Cima 115" with Tiburon material, that is non-AT screen with all three speakers below the screen and using the zoom method for 2.35. Where I work we install over 200 projector systems a year and I'm one of two calibrators. We have a shop I can do some testing and often do. So I see a lot of screens.

Comparing my two systems I like the audio better with the AT screen and the video better with the solid screen. Most people that come to my home see the AT screen because that theater has two rows. I have heard from many that it is the best picture they have seen. When I show the other room and people see the difference they say I am being picky about the picture quality difference as the AT screen is still excellent, plus they like the look of the curved screen better even if the picture is not quite as good as the solid screen it is good enough for them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have two projector systems in my house. Both are 2.35 screens. one is a Seymour 130" curved with the UF material because the seating is close about 11 feet for the 1st row, I also use an anamorphic lens with this system. The other is a Stewart Cima 115" with Tiburon material, that is non-AT screen with all three speakers below the screen and using the zoom method for 2.35. Where I work we install over 200 projector systems a year and I'm one of two calibrators. We have a shop I can do some testing and often do. So I see a lot of screens.

Comparing my two systems I like the audio better with the AT screen and the video better with the solid screen. Most people that come to my home see the AT screen because that theater has two rows. I have heard from many that it is the best picture they have seen. When I show the other room and people see the difference they say I am being picky about the picture quality difference as the AT screen is still excellent, plus they like the look of the curved screen better even if the picture is not quite as good as the solid screen it is good enough for them.
Thanks for that. At the risk of taking this off topic - do you mind sharing what pj you use with the UF screen and the size? And the lens. In the UK there are few places, if any, we can get demos of this stuff and user impressions from those in the know are very handy.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
Wow! That's a lot faster then was expecting. I expected production to take over a month. Pleasant surprise.
Thanks Don!
I was also surprised at the turnaround time when we ordered our screen. Even though we had it quickly, quality-control of all pieces was superb.

Enjoy your new screen!

Reactions: Don Stewart

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don,
I’m looking at the new Director’s Choice for my theater. I have 179” width between studs. I understand with 5” frame on the L/R it would have 19” depth. I have a baffle wall- would that mean that the baffle wall would need to be more than 19 inches away from the screen? Just trying to understand dimensions and whether I’ll have to redo my baffle wall.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
181 Posts
Joined the Stewart Screen family this week and replaced my 138" 2.35:1 Elite Screen with a 138" 2.35:1 Cima Neve screen. Had one little hiccup as the bolts to attach the frame pieces were mistakenly left out but Mike from AVScience (thanks Mike!) had Stewart overnight them to me and all is well in the world. The packaging itself was the most thorough and meticulously packaged item I think I have ever received. The frame itself is much sturdier and higher quality than my Elite Screen, mounting was much easier and I really love the snaps for attaching the screen itself. And of course the screen itself looks magnificent. The image is a touch brighter, feels more focused, and details appear sharper. A really worthwhile upgrade to pair with my RS3000 and Paladin DCR.

Reactions: Don Stewart

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Don,
I’m looking at the new Director’s Choice for my theater. I have 179” width between studs. I understand with 5” frame on the L/R it would have 19” depth. I have a baffle wall- would that mean that the baffle wall would need to be more than 19 inches away from the screen? Just trying to understand dimensions and whether I’ll have to redo my baffle wall.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi Gwthacker,

I sent you a PM with my company personal email so we can exchange drawing attachments if required.

Don

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does anyone here have the Balón Borderless screen? I’m interested in getting one of those but haven’t seen much information about it. I was looking for some opinions and pictures of the edges, side view and mount. I was also considering the LuminEsse, not sure if there would be any advantage of one vs the other. This will be mounted on a velvet covered wall so I don’t really need a border but I wasn’t sure how the edgeless screen would look vs having a very small edge. Thanks.

I am curious about this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Thanks for that. At the risk of taking this off topic - do you mind sharing what pj you use with the UF screen and the size? And the lens. In the UK there are few places, if any, we can get demos of this stuff and user impressions from those in the know are very handy.
Sorry, for the delayed response but haven't been on AVS much lately and missed the notification. Projectors change pretty often in my home or I "test" them in my home but I use the LS10500 with Panamorph Cinevista lens (replaced by the Phoenix model) on that one most of the time when not testing as I own that one. I have been playing with new JVC NX5 (aka RS1000) which looks great and is brighter so it will probably replace the LS10500 and I'll move the LS10500 to the other room for its zoom memory. A 6040 is there now. I'll wait until after Cedia before new upgrades to see if there is anything new with Epson or Sony to compete with this new JVC. But, I'm liking this JVC right now. Playing with the new JVCs the NX5 is definitely the best value and I personally wouldn't spend the extra for the NX7 (RS2000) or NX9 (RS3000). I'd spend the difference elsewhere before going to a better model than the NX5, better screen, speakers, acoustic treatments, remote, etc. YMMV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ALR screen

Having trouble deciding on a screen. About to purchase an nx9 and want a ALR screen to go with it. I want to get a 138-140 inch 2:35.1 screen and my throw from the end of the nx9 will be ~180 inches. I was Looking at the FireHawk screen, however, you need 1.6x width of your screen so the next best looks like a greyhawk screen as the min. throw is 1.3. I can control light from windows but my walls are white - I will be adding some velvet on the walls around the screen. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks much!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Angle of Perforations for Microperf X2 THX Ultra Screen

Hi

We currently have a Stewart Firehawk SST 16x9 110" screen which I use with a Marantz 15-S1 1080P DLP projector.

This combination has served us really well since we installed it in 2007. Our theater seats are about 18 feet from the screen.

We are thinking of doing some changes and we are thinking of going to an acoustically transparent screen so we can get a larger image and also changing the projector to a 2160P resolution.

We would want to use a Stewart AT screen for this change but I have a question about the perforations in the Stewart screens.

I have been told that with a Stewart AT screen you need to specify the projector that you intend to use so the perforations can be placed at a certain angle depending on the light source that projector uses.

Right now we are look at projectors with three different types of light sources which are (a) Traditional Lamp (b) Laser and (c) HLD LED (Philips Color Spark)

Is this true that the perforations are placed at different angles with the Stewart Microperf X2 THX Ultra screens depending on the light source?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi

We currently have a Stewart Firehawk SST 16x9 110" screen which I use with a Marantz 15-S1 1080P DLP projector.

This combination has served us really well since we installed it in 2007. Our theater seats are about 18 feet from the screen.

We are thinking of doing some changes and we are thinking of going to an acoustically transparent screen so we can get a larger image and also changing the projector to a 2160P resolution.

We would want to use a Stewart AT screen for this change but I have a question about the perforations in the Stewart screens.

I have been told that with a Stewart AT screen you need to specify the projector that you intend to use so the perforations can be placed at a certain angle depending on the light source that projector uses.

Right now we are look at projectors with three different types of light sources which are (a) Traditional Lamp (b) Laser and (c) HLD LED (Philips Color Spark)

Is this true that the perforations are placed at different angles with the Stewart Microperf X2 THX Ultra screens depending on the light source?

Thanks for any help.
MMC57,
Yes we request projector information for micro-perf screens. We consult a table of values from surveys we do with varying projector types, tested from very small image widths, to widths where the projector runs out of light. In years past, with lots more evident pixel structure on the screen, 720, 768 types etc., it was sort of complex. These days many projectors have so little pixel structure that they work perfectly with the perf. But some engine types do interact, and we manage that. As a matter of policy we rotate all screens to the most required degree, to make them future proof, for the event that someone changes projector type down the road.
The basis of the need for rotation,however, is not the illuminant, be it Xenon, Laser, Mercury etc. It is the imaging engine type, LCD, DLP, SXRD, LCOS etc. which gives us the cue to rotate. This works well and the only moire issues we have these days are when some folks with fairly large, older screens, prior to our rotation program, change into certain projectors. We are good at predicting results and we work with this every day.
Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen

Reactions: A7mad78

·
Registered
244 Posts
MMC57,
Yes we request projector information for micro-perf screens. We consult a table of values from surveys we do with varying projector types, tested from very small image widths, to widths where the projector runs out of light. In years past, with lots more evident pixel structure on the screen, 720, 768 types etc., it was sort of complex. These days many projectors have so little pixel structure that they work perfectly with the perf. But some engine types do interact, and we manage that. As a matter of policy we rotate all screens to the most required degree, to make them future proof, for the event that someone changes projector type down the road.
The basis of the need for rotation,however, is not the illuminant, be it Xenon, Laser, Mercury etc. It is the imaging engine type, LCD, DLP, SXRD, LCOS etc. which gives us the cue to rotate. This works well and the only moire issues we have these days are when some folks with fairly large, older screens, prior to our rotation program, change into certain projectors. We are good at predicting results and we work with this every day.
Mark Robinson
Stewart Filmscreen
Thanks for the reply Mark.

So if I understand you correctly it is the type of chip that is in the projector that needs to be specified rather then the light type.

I have not made a final decision on the projector yet but I know I am definitely going to go with a Stewart AT screen. The new size with be 135" 16x9 and I intend to place three speakers behind the screen.

Once I figure out the projector then I can decide the actual screen material to go with this time ... White vs Grey.

Thanks again for the reply and once I get closer to making a decision I will be back in touch.

·
Registered
244 Posts
How far away from the AT Screen with Microperf should the speakers be placed?

Is there a recommended distance?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is the Grayhawk only meant for 1080p content, in other words, would it still help in showing the true quality of a 4K image when projected on ? Or is it important to go for a 4K compatible screen ?

·
Registered
548 Posts
How far away from the AT Screen with Microperf should the speakers be placed?

Is there a recommended distance?

Thanks for any help.
My speakers are flush mounted on the wall and the screen is mounted on the wall. So just a few mm behind the screen and it's perfect. Screen is a ST130 with microperf

3121 - 3140 of 3696 Posts