AVS Forum banner

3561 - 3580 of 3705 Posts

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
You're killin' me Smalls. Just when I thought it was safe to get into the water.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Sorry I knew it would be be brighter and have less hotspotting than previous screens but what was surprising is all the artifacting I had been oblivious to before because the background image just looks so much cleaner. It is like getting a new projector and that is with my Epson 6050. Can't even imagine how good it would look with a true 4k JVC projector. Colors just have more of a natural quality to them, especially skin tones.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi All,

Today is our official release date of our new, "Director's Choice EVO" model which is the pinnacle of our screen line. The four way masking system is available with completely seamless screen sizes up to 25' wide by 14' high. The Director's Choice EVO is designed for professional studio post production viewing rooms and high end residential applications. For those interested, here is the link.
https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/screens/directors-choice

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I am thinking about the following Stewart ST130 G4 2.40:1 (JVC NX-7 w/ DCR Lens) options max total width of screen is 117", height not restrictive:

1). Balon Edge (123" Diag)

2). WallScreen Deluxe (116.5 Diag)

3). WallScreen 1.5. (120.75)

The Balon Edge has a larger diagonal view with a 1.5" masking border.

WallScreen Deluxe - smaller diagonal view with a 3.5" masking border - also least expensive

WallScreen 1.5 - most expensive, custom build

I checked the spill over on the masking border of my current screen and it is no more than 1/2"-3/4". I was told that the Balon Edge is a little more difficult to dial in, but it looks more aesthetically pleasing, IMHO. What are your thoughts about these options? All opinions and comments are welcome :).

Thanks Skylarlove :rolleyes:

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: skylarlove1999

·
Registered
18,644 Posts
I am thinking about the following Stewart ST130 G4 2.40:1 (JVC NX-7 w/ DCR Lens) options max total width of screen is 117", height not restrictive:

1). Balon Edge (123" Diag)

2). WallScreen Deluxe (116.5 Diag)

3). WallScreen 1.5. (120.75)

The Balon Edge has a larger diagonal view with a 1.5" masking border.

WallScreen Deluxe - smaller diagonal view with a 3.5" masking border - also least expensive

WallScreen 1.5 - most expensive, custom build

I checked the spill over on the masking border of my current screen and it is no more than 1/2"-3/4". I was told that the Balon Edge is a little more difficult to dial in, but it looks more aesthetically pleasing, IMHO. What are your thoughts about these options? All opinions and comments are welcome :).

Thanks Skylarlove :rolleyes:

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
If you weren't short on wall width, I'd say get the WallScreen Deluxe. Looks like the Balon Edge is the best bet.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
In fact, I am in the process of having a new Vari-mask screen built for the room with the ST130G4 material. Stewart has a new Vari-mask frame that isn't as big as before and uses some new solutions for setting pre-set points for the variable masking. I will likely post something about this once I have it installed on the blog on my website, so keep an eye out!
I may not be listed yet. I took a tour of their facility when I was doing a calibration tour in SoCal in January and they had one setup for me to look at. They said they would be announcing/shipping soon. I told them I'd want to buy one after getting to see it in action as I was considering a vari-mask anyways not that we're seeing so much content in between 16x9 and full scope.
Has this product been released yet or still under wraps (not currently on the Stewart Site)? If it is special enough for Kris to buy as it meets his strict requirements I am very interested.

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Has this product been released yet or still under wraps (not currently on the Stewart Site)? If it is special enough for Kris to buy as it meets his strict requirements I am very interested.
Not sure. Don may know. Mine shipped yesterday, so I should be installing around the end of next week. Maybe they've been slow to update the website due to COVID.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm also very interested in the "Vari-Mask" screen.

How does this differ from the "VistaScope" (which I own and love)???

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am wondering what the recommendations would be for a screen? The screen area I am looking at is 10'-9 5/8" by 4'8" and looking at about 130-140". My first row will be about 10' 2" from the screen and ceiling height is only 7. I am looking at using a JVC NX5 for the projector.
The room is in a basement with no windows so it will be completely dark. It does need to be a AT screen, fixed frame, wall mounted also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I'm also very interested in the "Vari-Mask" screen.

How does this differ from the "VistaScope" (which I own and love)???
I think what Kris might have been referring to as the Veri-Mask, which is correct by its operational function, is the newly released Directors Choice EVO.
It was just officially released two days ago.
https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en...rectors-choice

Hope that helps.
Don

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Not sure. Don may know. Mine shipped yesterday, so I should be installing around the end of next week. Maybe they've been slow to update the website due to COVID.
Thanks Kris. Looking forward to your Blog write up on it. How large a screen did you go for?

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Thanks Kris. Looking forward to your Blog write up on it. How large a screen did you go for?
Same size I have now, 140” diagonal except I did a true 2.4 instead of 2.35.

·
Registered
955 Posts

FYI. Here is another StudioTek 130 G4 professional review from David Susilo, PHD, that was released yesterday. (David is a freelance technology journalist with 710,000 blog readers and 130,000 paid print-magazine subscribers worldwide). https://wifihifi.com/stewart-studiotek-130-g4-review/

Don, thanks for sharing that latest review link, it's another great read to complement and confirm Kris Deering's review. I could not be any happier with my ST130 G4!

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
548 Posts
According to my dealer my screen is prepping to ship. Feel like a kid at Christmas!

With regards to the StudioTek 130 G4 and the JVC. The G4 material is not listed in JVC’s Screen Adjustment Mode Table, just the older G3. Is the StudioTek 130 G3 value (#71) still relevant for the G4?

·
Registered
18,644 Posts
According to my dealer my screen is prepping to ship. Feel like a kid at Christmas!

With regards to the StudioTek 130 G4 and the JVC. The G4 material is not listed in JVC’s Screen Adjustment Mode Table, just the older G3. Is the StudioTek 130 G3 value (#71) still relevant for the G4?
The G3 # 71 setting is probably close enough.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts

With regards to the StudioTek 130 G4 and the JVC. The G4 material is not listed in JVC’s Screen Adjustment Mode Table, just the older G3. Is the StudioTek 130 G3 value (#71 ) still relevant for the G4?
Hi Jonny,

The reference material for both StudioTek G3 and G4 are neutral (meaning non skewed) and the color reproduction for both materials are identical. I would recommend using setting 71 on your JVC.
Hope that helps.

Don

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The G3 # 71 setting is probably close enough.
How does JVC account for the various types of screen, if it has zero gain then this setting or if it has a gain of 1.3 then this other setting. Or is more to do with gain and screen material - texture etc.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
How does JVC account for the various types of screen, if it has zero gain then this setting or if it has a gain of 1.3 then this other setting. Or is more to do with gain and screen material - texture etc.
JVC has worked with all the major screen manufacturers to determine these settings for use with the NX projector line.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3561 - 3580 of 3705 Posts