AVS Forum banner

3581 - 3600 of 3705 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Interesting, tks
If your considering the ST130 G4, and can manage the $ tag, I recommend. The improvements are subtle at first, but after multiple viewings you quickly realize why they are the industry reference screen. A little hesitant to through in all the bells and whistles, but the value is in the screen material.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Well at the moment I have a 100`` Hurley 1.5 screen, have you ever heard of them. They were making screens before Stewart was in diapers(that was a quote from a former AVS member from 10+ years ago). I have a sample of the ST100 screen( I think it is the st100) that I still haven`t stuck on my screen to see what the difference is. Maybe I`ll get a sample of the new 130 G4 and have a look. I think the Hurley looks pretty damn nice and probably better than any other screen I`ve seen and I have seen the ST100 many times but it also comes down to the projector being used so it`s hard to compare unless it side by side or over laid. Yes I`m guessing you are probably correct in saying they are probably the king of screens now, although I thought there was a company in Norway or something like that who was making some pretty good looking screen material a few years ago. I`m guessing a 100`` would cost about $1000USD.
Actually, Stewart was building screens long before I was born and in diapers. My grandfather, Roy Stewart, founded the company with the help of Walt Disney back in 1947. Walt Disney was an extreme perfectionist and wanted his screens "seamless" in large venue sizes up to 40 X 90 feet. Just sayin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Well at the moment I have a 100`` Hurley 1.5 screen, have you ever heard of them. They were making screens before Stewart was in diapers(that was a quote from a former AVS member from 10+ years ago). I have a sample of the ST100 screen( I think it is the st100) that I still haven`t stuck on my screen to see what the difference is. Maybe I`ll get a sample of the new 130 G4 and have a look. I think the Hurley looks pretty damn nice and probably better than any other screen I`ve seen and I have seen the ST100 many times but it also comes down to the projector being used so it`s hard to compare unless it side by side or over laid. Yes I`m guessing you are probably correct in saying they are probably the king of screens now, although I thought there was a company in Norway or something like that who was making some pretty good looking screen material a few years ago. I`m guessing a 100`` would cost about $1000USD.
I think your reaction to my post is a little aggressive and over the top, especially for a fellow CDN. May-be your having a bad night:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I think your reaction to my post is a little aggressive and over the top, especially for a fellow CDN. May-be your having a bad night:rolleyes:
Sorry didn't mean to get any sense of aggressiveness in there, maybe I should just delete my posts and start over on this. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Actually, Stewart was building screens long before I was born and in diapers. My grandfather, Roy Stewart, founded the company with the help of Walt Disney back in 1947. Walt Disney was an extreme perfectionist and wanted his screens "seamless" in large venue sizes up to 40 X 90 feet. Just sayin.
Hey Don, no disrespect to the Stewart name or products. I was only taking a quote(10+ years ago or more actually) from a long time AVS member who was big into CRTs way back in the day for apparently decades and it was his comment that I just repeated. I've read about the Hurley history and it was impressive and they had their products in some big venues and I thought they also had their products in Disney as well. Yes they went out of business, why, I have no idea and it doesn't matter to me why. I've never said Stewart products were bad or not as good as Hurley or any other brands for that matter. Damn some people seem to be getting real offensive because of that comment. I doubt whether any of them have every seen a Hurley product to even make a judgement call on them, maybe you have I don't know.

As for the other gentleman(if I can use that word) who said you shouldn't sell to me after that comment, well I guess that's just a little over the top. I may still be looking to change screens some day(to go bigger) and if /when that days comes and we can do business great, if not then I'll find another top manufacturer or just keep what I'm presently using and be happy.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hey Don, no disrespect to the Stewart name or products. I was only taking a quote(10+ years ago or more actually) from a long time AVS member who was big into CRTs way back in the day for apparently decades and it was his comment that I just repeated. I've read about the Hurley history and it was impressive and they had their products in some big venues and I thought they also had their products in Disney as well. Yes they went out of business, why, I have no idea and it doesn't matter to me why. I've never said Stewart products were bad or not as good as Hurley or any other brands for that matter. Damn some people seem to be getting real offensive because of that comment. I doubt whether any of them have every seen a Hurley product to even make a judgement call on them, maybe you have I don't know.

As for the other gentleman(if I can use that word) who said you shouldn't sell to me after that comment, well I guess that's just a little over the top. I may still be looking to change screens some day(to go bigger) and if /when that days comes and we can do business great, if not then I'll find another top manufacturer or just keep what I'm presently using and be happy.

Cheers,
No worries WT.

Yes, I am very familiar with Hurley and their back then main competitor, Teknikote screens. We would occasionally have friendly conversations with the them at trade shows. Their main core business was supplying seamed screens for commercial theater exhibitors. When the theater chains went through massive expansion programs building mega-multiplexes in the late 80's and early 90's, all the large venue screen companies had a difficult time trying to keep up with orders. I was glad they where there to take some of the, "I need it tomorrow" pressure off of us. Anyway, that being said, have a wonderful day.

Best Regards,
Don

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
No worries WT.

Yes, I am very familiar with Hurley and their back then main competitor, Teknikote screens. We would occasionally have friendly conversations with the them at trade shows. Their main core business was supplying seamed screens for commercial theater exhibitors. When the theater chains went through massive expansion programs building mega-multiplexes in the late 80's and early 90's, all the large venue screen companies had a difficult time trying to keep up with orders. I was glad they where there to take some of the, "I need it tomorrow" pressure off of us. Anyway, that being said, have a wonderful day.

Best Regards,
Don
Don, thanks for the post.

Take care,
Walter

·
Registered
337 Posts
Does anyone have a retractable screen with speakers in back, but the screen is NOT acoustically transparent?

In my setup there will be plenty of open air space to the left, right, and below the screen for the sound to wrap around, so do I really need the compromises that come with AT screen materials? Thanks

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
The G3 # 71 setting is probably close enough.
What does that even do? I never noticed a difference on my G3 before or after ChadB calibrated my projector. Now I have the G4, and it's still off.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Hi Jonny,

The reference material for both StudioTek G3 and G4 are neutral (meaning non skewed) and the color reproduction for both materials are identical. I would recommend using setting 71 on your JVC.
Hope that helps.

Don
Hey, Don, still very much enjoying my new G4.

What does this setting change in the projector exactly, and does it interfere with professional calibration that's been done?

Reactions: Don Stewart

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hey, Don, still very much enjoying my new G4.

What does this setting change in the projector exactly, and does it interfere with professional calibration that's been done?
Hi Erod,
Actually, this would probably be a better question for the guys who work at JVC as they design the projectors. That being said, from what I understand, JVC, has factory presets for some of the more popular screen materials out there. For StudioTek 130, I believe it is preset 71. I know some of the top engineers at JVC and have worked with them in the past. In most instances, they use StudioTek reference screens to feature their products at the major trade shows, including their commercial, FAA approved simulation products and residential markets. Since they use the StudioTek 130 so frequently, I would have a high confidence level that their preset is very accurate. Perhaps some JVC projector owners here on the forum can add to this.

Regards,
Don

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Hi Erod,
Actually, this would probably be a better question for the guys who work at JVC as they design the projectors. That being said, from what I understand, JVC, has factory presets for some of the more popular screen materials out there. For StudioTek 130, I believe it is preset 71. I know some of the top engineers at JVC and have worked with them in the past. In most instances, they use StudioTek reference screens to feature their products at the major trade shows, including their commercial, FAA approved simulation products and residential markets. Since they use the StudioTek 130 so frequently, I would have a high confidence level that their preset is very accurate. Perhaps some JVC projector owners here on the forum can add to this.

Regards,
Don
I have always used the preset 71 on my JVC NX9 with my StudioTek 130 G3 curved 2.35 screen. The picture looks amazing with or without using 71:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I currently planned to upgrade my HT and start from the screen. Right now I am using a DIY 131 "screen 2.35 with Carli's Place Flexiwhite. I am wondering if it is possible to buy the original StudioTek 130 G3 / G4 bare fabric? Or find out which fabric from other manufacturers of bare canvas is comparable in quality to this canvas? If this is not for general discussion PM me please.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I currently planned to upgrade my HT and start from the screen. Right now I am using a DIY 131 "screen 2.35 with Carli's Place Flexiwhite. I am wondering if it is possible to buy the original StudioTek 130 G3 / G4 bare fabric? Or find out which fabric from other manufacturers of bare canvas is comparable in quality to this canvas? If this is not for general discussion PM me please.
I have had Elite Matte White, Screen Innovations Pure White and Seymour Glacier White in my theater.

Honestly not one of them is comparable. Cleanest, sharpest and brightest image by far from the ST130 G4. Depth is increased. More detail resolution in the foreground and the backgrounds are noise free.

The differences are stunning if you know what you are looking for in the image.

The only way to buy just the screen material is if you already own a Stewart screen . Stewart keeps your serial number on file to replace just the screen material. I have heard rumors of buying just the screen material but all dealers I contacted stated that is not possible.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
My friend is selling his 100 inch Stewart screen. If I buy this screen, can I count on the purchase of updated material, but with a larger size and format of 2.35?

·
Registered
18,650 Posts
My friend is selling his 100 inch Stewart screen. If I buy this screen, can I count on the purchase of updated material, but with a larger size and format of 2.35?
You can't make a 100" screen bigger. You can replace material in an existing fixed Stewart screen. If you want a larger 2.35:1 screen, you will need to buy one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately, the price tag for ready-made screens from Stewart goes beyond my capabilities, and I also do not want to buy a frame that I will have to throw away later (my frame is now part of the installation). Then I ask for help in choosing material from other manufacturers, which is close in quality to StudioTek 130 G4.

·
Registered
846 Posts
How are you folks cleaning off the screen from dust?

I’ve got a ST100 that hasn’t been dusted off for awhile so wondering what to do.

3581 - 3600 of 3705 Posts