AVS Forum banner

3601 - 3620 of 3667 Posts

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
How are you folks cleaning off the screen from dust?

I’ve got a ST100 that hasn’t been dusted off for awhile so wondering what to do.
Hi Scanido.

What we use to dust screen surfaces at the factory are soft horsehair brushes specifically designed for old school mechanical drafting, sometimes refereed to as a fox tail drafting brush.
We actually tape two brushes together so they become one brush with two rows of tufts.
Here is a link if you would like to purchase.
https://www.amazon.com/Alvin-2342-Comfort-Curve-Dusting/dp/B004O4LVI8/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=drafting+supplies+brushes&qid=1593803910&sr=8-25

Hope that helps.
Don

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all the comments and advice. I was a Stewart owner and then strayed from the path. The subsequent bitter taste of low quality lingered long after the initial sweetness of the lower price. Now I have a Studiotek 130 G4 120" 2.39:1 arriving in about two weeks. Can't wait - thanks! Rob
That's cool you are returning to Stewart. Look forward to hearing your thoughts about the picture quality on your ST130 G4.

Ross

Reactions: Robert Holloway

·
Registered
164 Posts
Does anyone know if there's visual representation of viewing angles and gain with Stewart screens? I'm weighing up 100 vs 130 G4 materials, as well as screen size, no.s of seats, viewing distance etc. I mostly want to work out how many seats will get the extra gain benefit.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Does anyone know if there's visual representation of viewing angles and gain with Stewart screens? I'm weighing up 100 vs 130 G4 materials, as well as screen size, no.s of seats, viewing distance etc. I mostly want to work out how many seats will get the extra gain benefit.
Hi Howiee.

Here are links to screen gain graphs. StudioTek 100 and StudioTek 130 G4.
https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials/studiotek-100
https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en/materials/studiotek-130-g4

Regards,
Don

·
Registered
830 Posts
How are you folks cleaning off the screen from dust?

I’️ve got a ST100 that hasn’️t been dusted off for awhile so wondering what to do.
Hi Scanido.

What we use to dust screen surfaces at the factory are soft horsehair brushes specifically designed for old school mechanical drafting, sometimes refereed to as a fox tail drafting brush.
We actually tape two brushes together so they become one brush with two rows of tufts.
Here is a link if you would like to purchase.
https://www.amazon.com/Alvin-2342-Comfort-Curve-Dusting/dp/B004O4LVI8/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=drafting+supplies+brushes&qid=1593803910&sr=8-25

Hope that helps.
Don
Thank you, I will get that brush.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Finally got my 120" 130 G4 up yesterday!!

The box took a little damage in transit, but there was so much bubble wrap that the frame and screen were fine. In fact, nothing came close to even being damaged. So it was definitely packed to take a hit.

Really impressed with the build quality and ease of assembly as well. Night and day compared to my Silver Ticket. The snaps were a little harder to join than I was expecting and was the toughest part of the assembly. Definitely a workout and not a step to rush or get too aggressive - but the screen is nice and tight.

With regards to image. We finished too late to watch a full movie .... but I was able to watch my son play The Witcher for 10 minutes. I still need to re-calibrate the projector ... but holy s**t... the image is so much brighter and the colors have a lot more vibrancy/pop/saturation. My son, who is quickly turning into a A/V snob, was quite surprised and commented it looked better than the OLED.

I'm looking forward to putting in some screen time. Beautiful image so far with my JVC!

Oh yeah.... we're 9' from the screen with a 12.5" throw and I couldn't see any hotspotting. The minimum throw is stated as "1.3 x image width" and I'm 1.42.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Finally got my 120" 130 G4 up yesterday!!

The box took a little damage in transit, but there was so much bubble wrap that the frame and screen were fine. In fact, nothing came close to even being damaged. So it was definitely packed to take a hit.

Really impressed with the build quality and ease of assembly as well. Night and day compared to my Silver Ticket. The snaps were a little harder to join than I was expecting and was the toughest part of the assembly. Definitely a workout and not a step to rush or get too aggressive - but the screen is nice and tight.

With regards to image. We finished too late to watch a full movie .... but I was able to watch my son play The Witcher for 10 minutes. I still need to re-calibrate the projector ... but holy s**t... the image is so much brighter and the colors have a lot more vibrancy/pop/saturation. My son, who is quickly turning into a A/V snob, was quite surprised and commented it looked better than the OLED.

I'm looking forward to putting in some screen time. Beautiful image so far with my JVC!

Oh yeah.... we're 9' from the screen with a 12.5" throw and I couldn't see any hotspotting. The minimum throw is stated as "1.3 x image width" and I'm 1.42.
Congrats! We have the same projector and screen, a phenomenal combo. You are right about the build quality and assembly also being superb.

Ross

·
Registered
541 Posts
Congrats! We have the same projector and screen, a phenomenal combo. You are right about the build quality and assembly also being superb.

Ross
Thx. I'm extremely impressed with the image so far. I have 1800 hours on my bulb and its like I have a new bulb again - with better color and contrast.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The wife and I are downsizing to get ready to retire, so may have to shop for a new screen... I apologize ahead of time for being a rookie on screen choice. I have been very happy with my 16:9 DA-Lite HP 2.4 150 inch diag motorized screen since 2013, so have not been following screen tech. The new home theater will be smaller, and I may barely be able to fit this current screen. Even if it fits, it may be a bit overwhelming due to sitting closer. DA-Lite no longer make this screen material so can't get a smaller one (love it by the way with my JVC NS3000)... I have even considered bastardizing this screen, cutting it down, and making a fixed frame...

So I have a couple of questions in regard to Stewart screens

What is considered the best Stewart Material? I understand their are different situations so no "one size fits all" .. but I am looking at their gain material... the StudioTek G4 130 or the Ultramatte 150... I do not see any reviews that compare these

Can you tell any difference between Acoutic Perf vs Non-Perf? Visually?

How do I order samples? didn't see anything obvious on the web page...

I am considering going with a 235:1 this time around... I could get a larger screen with acoustically perf. But don't want to lose any noticeable resolution.

All advice is appreciated

PJ

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Is it possible to order the screen without the frame? I currently own a Seymour AV screen, with their Premier frame / grommet + O-ring screen tension system. I would like to replace the screen material with the Studiotek 130 G4 microperf but keep the frame I already have.

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Is it possible to order the screen without the frame? I currently own a Seymour AV screen, with their Premier frame / grommet + O-ring screen tension system. I would like to replace the screen material with the Studiotek 130 G4 microperf but keep the frame I already have.
Maybe you "Missed" seeing my Post right above your's :confused: :confused: :confused:

I clearly show multiple pictures of just replacing the screen material from the "Firehawk" to the Newer "ST130 G4".

However, I already had the Stewart Filmscreen 16 x 9 123" 4-way remote masking screen frame.

I currently own a Seymour AV screen, with their Premier frame / grommet + O-ring screen tension system.
That is a question for Don Stewart I think ^^^

Terry

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Maybe you "Missed" seeing my Post right above your's :confused: :confused: :confused:

I clearly show multiple pictures of just replacing the screen material from the "Firehawk" to the Newer "ST130 G4".

However, I already had the Stewart Filmscreen 16 x 9 123" 4-way remote masking screen frame.

That is a question for Don Stewart I think ^^^

Terry
No problem, I saw your post...
But my question remains, as my screen frame is not the same as yours, and I asked if it was possible to order the screen material to fit MY frame (SeymourAV) :confused: Yes, I was expecting Don to answer this :)

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
But my question remains, as my screen frame is not the same as yours, and I asked if it was possible to order the screen material to fit MY frame (SeymourAV) :confused: Yes, I was expecting Don to answer this :)
Yes, we are in the custom screen business and can build for frame systems by others if we have the proper information supplied by customer. Since a drawing or sketch is worth a thousand words here is what we are looking for on a drawing.

1. Screen's overall dimensions. This is measured from the outside edge the outside edge, including screen edge binding.
2. Grommet's typical spacing. (Measured from center to center of grommets).
3. We typically work from the center-line of screen's edge binding out to the corners. Are there grommets on the screen edge binding positioned exactly at the center line of vertical and horizontal dimensions or are they offset from center line?
Note: On most smaller screens, Stewart's typical edge binding width is 1" starting from the very outside edge of screen.

Hope that helps.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
stef2,

Just so you know I wasn't trying to be funny or sarcastic in my post.
I was just trying to let you know that I knew Stewart Filmscreen did do just the "Material" so a person didn't have to buy a completely new Frame & Screen material if you had a Stewart Filmscreen frame already that had the Snap-On replaceable screen material.

I was attempting to be helpful believe it or not. ;)

That's why I said Don Stewart would be answering for your Frame & Screen. :)

Terry

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thank you Don and Terry!

I will then do a sketch of my screen with all the useful info on it. Since I live in Canada, to whom should I ask for a quote (screen material only)?

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Thank you Don and Terry!

I will then do a sketch of my screen with all the useful info on it. Since I live in Canada, to whom should I ask for a quote (screen material only)?
Hi Stef,

What city in Canada? Also, it is best if you PM me the sketch first so I can check it out before contacting a dealer. Please note that most of our "screen only" builds are through our commercial dealers and it is fairly rare on the residential side. So to avoid confusion, let me approve drawing first prior to submitting to a residential dealer for pricing.

BTW, your location on your avatar says China?

Don

3601 - 3620 of 3667 Posts