AVS Forum banner

3621 - 3640 of 3699 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry if this question is overly broad but i'm still playing with major variables for my build. How much "brightness" do you lose going with an acoustically transparent screen vs not? Please be gentle, this will be my first projector system.

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
Sorry if this question is overly broad but i'm still playing with major variables for my build. How much "brightness" do you lose going with an acoustically transparent screen vs not? Please be gentle, this will be my first projector system.
Depends on which screen material you are comparing, but it can be 30%, 40% or even more if talking about a .85 woven screen vs a non AT StudioTek 130. I enjoy brightness and that's why I have a StudioTek 130.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi Yoshi. For our THX MicroPerf, the total open area of the surface area is 10.2%, so the screens net gain loss will also be 10. 2% compared to the same solid material. There are 30,000 individual perforations per square foot of material. The diameter of each hole is 23 thousands of an inch.
Hope that helps.
Don

·
Registered
JVC RS2000, DCR-C Lens, Stewart ST130 G4 Microperf. DIYSG 1099 LCR, Volt6 x8, HT18”x4, Denon X4300h
236 Posts
I installed my new ST130 G4 Microperf screen last night. It’s 144” diagonal 2.40 to go along with my RS2000 and DCR-C lens. It replaces a 141” 2.35 Seymour XD screen.

At my first row of about 11.5’ The increase in sharpness and detail is incredible! I was mostly upgrading for the increase in brightness, but I feel like I’m seeing 4K for the first time! The Seymour had a course texture that makes it soft in comparison. I now get that “looking through a window” feeling.

I don’t see any perfs at my seating distance at all. They disappear, and I’m left with a solid Image. I see no sparkles of any kind. If I really look for it on a very bright burst of light I can faintly make out some texture from the coating, but I have to be actively looking for it and it’s not distracting on normal relaxed viewing.

My biggest concern about this upgrade was how the Microperf would affect the sound compared to the weave. My fears were put at ease upon first listen. I left all my AVR settings the same and to my ears it sounds BETTER. I was having Issues with dialogue through the center where I’d get some harshness every now and then, and was never fully happy with intelligibility . It sounds so smooth now. Maybe it’s a little placebo effect, smother picture, smoother sound lol.

Overall, in my first impressions, I’m over the moon happy! If any one is looking to make a similar upgrade, do it!!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I installed my new ST130 G4 Microperf screen last night. It’s 144” diagonal 2.40 to go along with my RS2000 and DCR-C lens. It replaces a 141” 2.35 Seymour XD screen.

At my first row of about 11.5’ The increase in sharpness and detail is incredible! I was mostly upgrading for the increase in brightness, but I feel like I’m seeing 4K for the first time! The Seymour had a course texture that makes it soft in comparison. I now get that “looking through a window” feeling.

I don’t see any perfs at my seating distance at all. They disappear, and I’m left with a solid Image. I see no sparkles of any kind. If I really look for it on a very bright burst of light I can faintly make out some texture from the coating, but I have to be actively looking for it and it’s not distracting on normal relaxed viewing.

My biggest concern about this upgrade was how the Microperf would affect the sound compared to the weave. My fears were put at ease upon first listen. I left all my AVR settings the same and to my ears it sounds BETTER. I was having Issues with dialogue through the center where I’d get some harshness every now and then, and was never fully happy with intelligibility . It sounds so smooth now. Maybe it’s a little placebo effect, smother picture, smoother sound lol.

Overall, in my first impressions, I’m over the moon happy! If any one is looking to make a similar upgrade, do it!!
I have just made almost the same swap, from a 138” diagonal 16:9 Seymour XD to a Stewart ST130 G4 microperf, and have had the same experience as ckgolf. I expected the increased visual brightness and clarity - both of which I got in spades, but also was presently surprised at the improvement in the openness and clarity of the sound. To my inexpert ears, it now sounds brighter, but in a good sense. I have not recalibrated the sound since I installed the new screen, and don’t really see any urgency to so. I am very pleased!

—Charlie

·
Registered
174 Posts

Cheers fot the impressions - the screen sounds great. One of my reservations about a perforated screen is seeing the holes. I know this varies from person to person, but at what distance can you make them out?

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
Cheers fot the impressions - the screen sounds great. One of my reservations about a perforated screen is seeing the holes. I know this varies from person to person, but at what distance can you make them out?
I'm interested to hear real world viewing impressions. Generally speaking 12' has been the minimum seating distance recommended. But, I did a projector replacement in South Lake Tahoe once and I didn't even realize that they had a ST130 Microperf screen until they told me, and I looked closer. I think I sat in that room under 12' for sure. I didn't see the perf. It might take a bright picture like the Winter Olympics on high lamp.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm interested to hear real world viewing impressions. Generally speaking 12' has been the minimum seating distance recommended. But, I did a projector replacement in South Lake Tahoe once and I didn't even realize that they had a ST130 Microperf screen until they told me, and I looked closer. I think I sat in that room under 12' for sure. I didn't see the perf. It might take a bright picture like the Winter Olympics on high lamp.
Cheers, that sounds good indeed! I'll try and get a sample.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Cheers, that sounds good indeed! I'll try and get a sample.
Hi Howie.
When viewing a sample, do not place the sample on an existing white wall or screen. Be sure to place something black, like black paper, directly behind the sample to simulate real world viewing. This will give you a more accurate feel for judging proper viewing distance with your particular existing system.
Regards,
Don

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Hi all:

I have a 4 way Stewart masking system with Bric, we recently had some lightning damage and have been replacing items systematically. I have just replaced my Crestron Pro2, the Bric is connected by RJ45 Cat 6 to Bric and adapter to Crestron. The RS232 control is not functioning between Crestron and Bric/masking screen. The 11 button keypad connected to Bric however is functioning perfectly. So could this be the RJ45 connector in Bric. Trying to trouble shoot this.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi all:

I have a 4 way Stewart masking system with Bric, we recently had some lightning damage and have been replacing items systematically. I have just replaced my Crestron Pro2, the Bric is connected by RJ45 Cat 6 to Bric and adapter to Crestron. The RS232 control is not functioning between Crestron and Bric/masking screen. The 11 button keypad connected to Bric however is functioning perfectly. So could this be the RJ45 connector in Bric. Trying to trouble shoot this.
Hi LJG. Sounds like the BRIC, or the Crestron, or both could have been smoked during the lightning damaged. Scott Kimber is our factory in house expert on controls systems. Please consult with Scott for trouble shooting. He can be reached at 800 762-4999, ext 145 or if you prefer, his email is: [email protected]
I would recommend calling him as he may have some questions when trouble shooting.
Hope that helps.
Don

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good evening, can anyone tell me the difference between the Wallscreen 1.5 and Wallscreen Deluxe other than that the 1.5 has a more narrow frame? I was also wondering if the Deluxe’s frame is more rigid than the 1.5 due to it’s width size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi Th601. The 1.5 x 1.5" frame is basically a very simplistic shadowbox style frame. It is mostly used for rear projection applications where the frame and screen is mounted into an aperture opening cutout in a wall. The Deluxe frame is more rigid because of its shape and has about twice as much aluminum material per linear foot. Both are finished with black Velux light adsorbing material.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Th601. The 1.5 x 1.5" frame is basically a very simplistic shadowbox style frame. It is mostly used for rear projection applications where the frame and screen is mounted into an aperture opening cutout in a wall. The Deluxe frame is more rigid because of its shape and has about twice as much aluminum material per linear foot. Both are finished with black Velux light adsorbing material.
. View attachment 3028297
Ok great. I have front projection system so I will go with the Deluxe. Thank you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi,

I'm very new to projectors and I live in the Philippines so there aren't that much options here, specially projector screens. What we do have here is snowhite and elite screens. I've been doing research and i've read that stewart makes much greater screens than those i've mentioned but at a far greater cost thus made me shy away from them.

Recently though, i've read that Stewart made a 50%+ price drop with some of their screens (promo? discount?). With this in mind, do you think it would now be worthwhile to get a "lower end" Stewart screen (can't afford the higher end - too expensive) and have it shipped here as against the readily available snowhite/elite screens?

I'm looking into getting a manual pulldown 135" 16:9 White or grey screen. (Does Stewart offer this or are they all electric controlled?) (maybe a 125" can do for a 16:9 but it would be better to have some extra width for 2.39:1)

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Hi Joms.
Please note that all Stewart retractable screens are motorized and all have tab side tension systems. If you would like more information, please contact Thomas Cheong in our Singapore office which also covers the Philippines. You can email Thomas at: [email protected]
Best Regards,
Don

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I just wanted to say that I have had my ST130 G4 for about five months now and I can unequivocally say that it’s the best screen you can pair with JVC NX7 if you want to enjou glorious HDR.

The screen has almost no sparkles and the added gain makes the image pop like nothing I had seen with my previous screens.

Fantastic all the way!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cima Neve Horizontal Banding Question

I was hoping to get some opinions on my 16:9 135" Cima Neve screen that shows horizontal banding pattern (like a yellow jacket pattern of white/dark bands) during bright white scenes in the center of the screen. I got it last spring, noticed some banding with my old projector and partially attributed to the BenQ W1070 projector. Now with a JVC RS1000 sitting at 11' feet away it seems more obvious and I see it on every bright white scene. Tried to take a picture with white background attached, but my iphone does not really capture it well, seems more obvious on white sky scenes with panning. No issues with sparkles. If i pivot the projector the bands do not move and was seen on old projector as well so I'm convinced it's the screen.

1. Is this related to the gain of the screen or something else?
2. I ordered this from a local dealer, so I'll contact them next but wondered if others had any luck exchanging screens before (mine is now 6 months old) if they seem to have a defect.

Thanks for any thoughts. Overall happy with the screen, but for the money would like it to have no issues.

Attachments

3621 - 3640 of 3699 Posts