AVS Forum banner

3701 - 3720 of 3744 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
We will be moving to a new home in January, in which I will be converting a room in the basement to a dedicated home theater.

I will be brining my JVC DLA X590RB to the new hous,e but will be buying a new screen, probabably a 130 diagonal screen in 2:35 or 2:40 format

The room will be totaly light controlled and used mostly for watching blu ray/4K movies from an Oppop 203, but will also watch sports on TV. No gaming

From everything I've read the ST 130 G4 seems to be the best screen material out there but wondering since I'm not using a true 4K projector if I would still see the benefit from it

Since we don't take possession until January getting samples to try out at this point won't help, let alone that room is currently painted yellow so looking at choices on one of the remaining times we we still have access pre-closing won't help either
i’ve got a 120” 130 G4 paired with an x790 in a basement theatre. I’m very tight for space - the JVC has a 12’ throw (almost as close as you can get for 120”) and our seating is 10’ from the screen. Beautiful picture and no hotspotting with the added gain. I highly recommend the 130 G4.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
From everything I've read the ST 130 G4 seems to be the best screen material out there but wondering since I'm not using a true 4K projector if I would still see the benefit from it
You don’t need 4K to “benefit” from the ST130 G4 (or any previous generation for that matter). The alternative is a material with more gain or less gain. Since you have a 3D capable projector I would not go with less gain (ST100).

·
Registered
560 Posts
Please tell me you’ve tried 3D with that wonderful projector and how does it work on that screen?
I actually haven’t tried 3d ... yet. I used my funds to upgrade to the two PSA subs, BOSS, and screen this year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You don’t need 4K to “benefit” from the ST130 G4 (or any previous generation for that matter). The alternative is a material with more gain or less gain. Since you have a 3D capable projector I would not go with less gain (ST100).
Thanks for the quick responses everyone

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
@Don Stewart ; Hi Mr Stewart,
Please shed some light on the new Wallscreen 3.25 frame, which is a (temporary?) replacement for the Wallscreen Deluxe, so we can understand the presumably minor differences.

I have attached sectional drawings of the Wallscreen 2.5 and Deluxe for reference. The back of the frame seems to be quite different.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Hi AVFile,
The main difference between the 3.25 wallscreen frame and the 3.25 wallscreen frame deluxe is the male snap fasteners on the 3.25 frame are attached to the back of the frame with rivets. On the deluxe model, the snaps are attached via clips which can slide on a track for fine tuning adjustments. That said, every snap screen we manufacture is placed in the actual frame that will ship with it for final inspection to insure that screen layout is perfectly flat and the snap patterns are perfect. From the front viewing side, the frames are identical.
(Please note that our mill who extrudes our aluminum accidently cracked our custom tool die for the Wallscreen Deluxe and is now machining a brand new one for replacement)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Thanks @Don Stewart ;that sounds great.

I just ordered my new screen, 125” cinemascope with ST130. It will be the first Wallscreen 3.25 in Canada, as it was news to the distributor here!

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have placed an order for a 150" wide 2.4:1 Stewart fixed frame screen (model number - WSDQ163CST13G4WBMX) and I am hoping to receive the screen by the end of this month.

Masonry (brick) construction is my preferred option to construct the screen wall so as to mount the acoustically transparent Stewart screen. Since I am planning to locate large speakers (JBL M2) and subwoofers (4 numbers of 18" Rythmik subs) behind the screen, I would like to build a very minimalistic screen wall to mount the screen. I was wondering if there is a way to figure out the exact mounting locations on the wall before I receive the screen so that I could start building the screen wall right away.

All I would like to understand is the location of the wall boards that comes with the screen. In addition, Wallscreen Deluxe owner's manual says "Please note that on some custom sized frames the use of additional “back support braces” is required". Please let me know if there is a way to know if my screen would include such back support braces and if yes, their locations/dimensions as well.

Please see below the spec of the screen that I ordered.

Fixed Frame, Snap Screens with Various Framing Options
Model Name: WallScreen Deluxe
Model Number: WSDQ163CST13G4WBMX
Image Size: 62.5in x 150in (163in diag.) 2.4:1
Projection Type: Front Projection Seamless
Screen Material: StudioTek 130 G4
Perforation: MicroPerf -> Entire Screen
Material Overall Dim: 65.75in x 153.25in
Frame Overall Dim: 69.125in x 156.625in
Frame Color: Velux
Mounting: Wall Board Mount
Center Joint: True

Thank you!

·
Registered
18,785 Posts
I have placed an order for a 150" wide 2.4:1 Stewart fixed frame screen (model number - WSDQ163CST13G4WBMX) and I am hoping to receive the screen by the end of this month.

Masonry (brick) construction is my preferred option to construct the screen wall so as to mount the acoustically transparent Stewart screen. Since I am planning to locate large speakers (JBL M2) and subwoofers (4 numbers of 18" Rythmik subs) behind the screen, I would like to build a very minimalistic screen wall to mount the screen. I was wondering if there is a way to figure out the exact mounting locations on the wall before I receive the screen so that I could start building the screen wall right away.

All I would like to understand is the location of the wall boards that comes with the screen. In addition, Wallscreen Deluxe owner's manual says "Please note that on some custom sized frames the use of additional “back support braces” is required". Please let me know if there is a way to know if my screen would include such back support braces and if yes, their locations/dimensions as well.

Thank you!
You need to ask your dealer to get you a drawing from Stewart.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts

Thank you!
Hi ECE.
Thank you for your order. Your dealer should have the PDF drawing file. That said, we looked up your order and here is the spacing for the mounting uprights. Hope this helps.
Regards, Don
p

·
Registered
215 Posts

Thank you!
That's a beast of a screen! I'll be very interested in impressions once you've had time to get it setup. Mostly viewinfg distrance before perforations become visible etc

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's a beast of a screen! I'll be very interested in impressions once you've had time to get it setup. Mostly viewinfg distrance before perforations become visible etc
Thank you Howiee. My MLP is 12’ from the screen wall and I will share my impressions once everything is set up -hopefully before the end of this year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi ECE.
Thank you for your order. Your dealer should have the PDF drawing file. That said, we looked up your order and here is the spacing for the mounting uprights. Hope this helps.
Regards, Don
View attachment 3054956 p
Hi Don,

Very helpful, thank you!!!

Unfortunately, I just realised that the wall mount boards are going to end up right in front of my left and right speakers mounted in a baffle wall. Since this could potentially create issues to the sound, I was wondering if it is possible to swap the wall mount board that I ordered with EZ mount bracket system for mounting. I understand that the screen is still under production and I hope it isn’t too late to make this swap. Please advice.

I am also sending this request to my dealer (Avenue Sound), but it would be great if you could please look into this request ASAP.

Thanks again for all your help

edit: added the screen and speaker positioning in my setup
C454DB4E-032C-4728-9CB0-B31760585F70.jpeg
A59E5000-B585-4E07-A142-B7E80974135B.jpeg

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Hi Don,

Very helpful, thank you!!!

Unfortunately, I just realised that the wall mount boards are going to end up right in front of my left and right speakers mounted in a baffle wall. Since this could potentially create issues to the sound, I was wondering if it is possible to swap the wall mount board that I ordered with EZ mount bracket system for mounting. I understand that the screen is still under production and I hope it isn’t too late to make this swap. Please advice.

I am also sending this request to my dealer (Avenue Sound), but it would be great if you could please look into this request ASAP.

Thanks again for all your help

edit: added the screen and speaker positioning in my setup
View attachment 3055081 View attachment 3055082
Please note that I posted this drawing as a courtesy only. If you would like to make changes you must go through your dealer to do so. If the outer wallboard brackets are going to interfere, then suppy your dealer where the proper dimensions to position. In the meantime I will put a hold on fabricating your frame.

Best regards.
Don

·
Registered
227 Posts
Please note that I posted this drawing as a courtesy only. If you would like to make changes you must go through your dealer to do so. If the outer wallboard brackets are going to interfere, then suppy your dealer where the proper dimensions to position. In the meantime I will put a hold on fabricating your frame.

Best regards.
Don
Hi Don,

I will talk to my dealer first thing in the morning and will ask him to send over the changes needed. Thank you for helping me out by putting a hold on my order. It is a big relief to hear that the screen is still under production and hasn’t shipped out yet.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
227 Posts

Best regards.
Don
Hi Don,

Sorry to bother you, but I have a quick question about the EZ Mount bracket system. If I opt for EZ mount bracket system instead of wall board mount, I hope that there won't be any vertical back support braces/brackets necessary.

Ideally I would like to have the full screen area acoustically transparent with no braces/brackets behind the viewable screen surface and it looks like EZ mount is the best bet for me. Kindly confirm.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Hi Don,

Sorry to bother you, but I have a quick question about the EZ Mount bracket system. If I opt for EZ mount bracket system instead of wall board mount, I hope that there won't be any vertical back support braces/brackets necessary.

Ideally I would like to have the full screen area acoustically transparent with no braces/brackets behind the viewable screen surface and it looks like EZ mount is the best bet for me. Kindly confirm.

Thank you!
Please be advised that I sent you a PM.

3701 - 3720 of 3744 Posts