AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4056 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The original version of the firehawk was suppose to have an 1.8 gain layer wasn´t it... then how can the new one which has even less gain still have a narrower viewing cone than the 1.8 gain ultramatte?

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2 /forum/post/0

I have a Firehawk Luxus model A with the following problem: The edges are sticking to something and beginning to wear through the material. The problem is on the upper 1/3 of the screen, along the outside edges near the tab tensioners. It's almost as though the tension wires are rubbing when rolled up. I'm not sure how to fix this or stop it from getting worse. Anyone?

So I'm the only one with this problem?

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:

So I'm the only one with this problem?

Have you checked with Stewart about this? From what I have heard, they are supposed to be really good about supporting their products in the field.

Question: when did Stewart begin manufacturing the G2 version of the Firehawk?

Gary Dahl

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also curious when the G2 firehawk started to roll out. I just received what I assume to be the Firehawk G1 last friday (11-4-05). Have yet to use it. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the two by model #. My model # is (SNDQ110HFWezX). I would hate to have spent almost 2 grand on the old model. Timing is everything.....................

·
Registered
566 Posts
The G2 was supposed to be a "silent" update from stewart.

The changes seem minor from the G1, and it has been shipping for about 6 months now. There is no G1 still available.

(Got this info from my stewart)

·
Registered
228 Posts
FireHawk G2 (From Stewart Website)

FireHawk G2 is ideal for using with digital projection technologies in today's home theaters. FireHawk G2 produces outstanding black levels and color saturation. Use FireHawk G2 in business and church facilities when ambient light is present.

FireHawk G2 increases black levels, shadow detailing and color saturation. FireHawk G2 maximizes screen brightness at 40 percent peak foot lambert increase over all existing gray screens. Preserves image contrast by dampening room cross light reflection as much as 90 percent. FireHawk G2 also maximizes the screen's passive black level for digital projectors. FireHawk G2 is available in retractable and fixed screen models.

FireHawk G2 Benefits

Ambient Light Resistance

Increases Black Level

Increases Color Saturation

Bright, Vibrant Image

Washable

Flame Retardant

Performance Response

Projection Screen Flexible Front Projection

Perforations Micro Perforation

Framing and Design Available in fixed screens and motorized

retractable screen models

Masking Available

Gain 1.25

Half Gain @ 30º

Seamless Size Restrictions Contact Manufacturer

Seams None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of questions:-

1) Does it mean that Firehawk would only be available in micro perforation only? If it is, does it mean that G2 version is superior than the previous non-perforated Firehawk?

2) If we would like to upgrade from previous Firehawk to G2 version, could we get special discounted rate?

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3dahl /forum/post/0

Have you checked with Stewart about this? From what I have heard, they are supposed to be really good about supporting their products in the field....

yes i have. Weeks later and still no response from them. I have posted photos of the problem:

screen.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Firehawk and ambient light

I attended the Colorado Springs PJ shootout recently and we spent an entire day comparing Stewart Greyhawk, Studiotek 130 and Firehawk. We had two 3 chip DLP Infocus 777 and Sim 3X, 7210, H79, AE900 and Z4 to name a few.

We had room lights from bright, subdued and almost dark. Inputs were content from DVD, and HDTV. Watched the same on all combinations.

I had ordered a Studiotec 130 but after the demo with room lighting I changed my order to a Firehawk. It help to have a bright PJ if you want to watch sports with some room light. The combination of the Infocus 7210 / Firehawk sold me.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Great to hear. I just ordered a Firehawk for my 7205. We've been projecting on a light blue/green wall and the image was surprisingly good. Even chose it over the HP that we had, but that was with a ceiling mount of the projector. I'm hoping the Firehawk is a dramatic improvement over the wall or my wife is going to kill me.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney /forum/post/0

Re: Firehawk and ambient light

I attended the Colorado Springs PJ shootout recently and we spent an entire day comparing Stewart Greyhawk, Studiotek 130 and Firehawk. We had two 3 chip DLP Infocus 777 and Sim 3X, 7210, H79, AE900 and Z4 to name a few.

We had room lights from bright, subdued and almost dark. Inputs were content from DVD, and HDTV. Watched the same on all combinations.

I had ordered a Studiotec 130 but after the demo with room lighting I changed my order to a Firehawk. It help to have a bright PJ if you want to watch sports with some room light. The combination of the Infocus 7210 / Firehawk sold me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have brought a 2nd firehawk screen (luxus model a) and it too has slight wearing at the top left/right. It also makes a noise like light tearing (though nothing is tearing!) on the last part of the drop.

The picture looks lovely though (compared to my older owl screen).

CaM

·
Registered
5,052 Posts

Quote:

yes i have. Weeks later and still no response from them. I have posted photos of the problem:

screen.jpg

Have you tried contacting your dealer?

When I had the same problem with my 110" Firehawk Electriscreen I contacted my dealer (AVS-Jason) and he was able to get me a "repair kit", basically consisting of a small can of paint and a sponge. (It also took several weeks before I got it, though.)

____

Axel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hiya, Stewart users,

I'm from Japan.

I am hesitating very much.

I know FireHawk will preserves image contrast by dampening room cross light reflection. But Studiotek's bright and clear image is so fantastic too. I love Studiotek's great image quality.

However, my theater is not a special room. It is using with living room combinedly.

The reflected light cannot control though the lighting can be completely turned off.

Yes, FireHawk is good for me. I know it.

But I got a ruby, it has good color by Xenon lamp. I do not throw away Studiotek 130 easily.

The user of FireHawk hardly exists in Japan. Does anyone have advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel /forum/post/0

...When I had the same problem with my 110" Firehawk Electriscreen I contacted my dealer (AVS-Jason) and he was able to get me a "repair kit", basically consisting of a small can of paint and a sponge. (It also took several weeks before I got it, though.)

____

Axel

Finally heard from Stewart. Their new solution to this problem is some black tape to put over the worn edges. It is really a patch job and is noticible when the lights are on. Seems like a major design flaw to me. Maybe this will be fixed in the new version of the screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just unpacked my Stewart after a move and it looks like the screen material has a few small creases in it along with indentations from the snaps. Has anyone had any experience with this and will these disappear after a few weeks under the tension of the frame. Hopefully you will be able to see what I'm talking about in the attached pictures.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yes they will go away on their own. Since the screen in a vinyl-base, you can speed that process with a hair-dryer set to medium heat about 6"-8" away from the screen, keep the dryer moving in a relatively random pattern and you should be fine.

I've had several samples sent to me from Stewart, and they always see to end-up either gently folded or draped over something with a firm edge, so they develop "creases", if I let the samples lay on a flat surface for a couple days at room temp- they go away.

So no worries, these things are more resilient than you might think.

Dan

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Has anone used the Horizontal ScreenWall ElectriMask from Stewart? I would love to get rid of the grey bars but I don't know what the premium is for this vs. the standard fixed wall 1.3 gain screen.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Anyone have experience using Stewart's microperf screens? In particular, is it true there is no moire affect with that screen? Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
What would you like to know? I have both a Microperfed Grayhawk RS and StudioTek 130. The two skins are 72" wide 1.78:1 AR, for my Luxus Deluxe frame (this is my reference screen setup, very similar to what Runco uses for their CSMS measurements).

The issue of Microperf and moire isn't cut-and-dry, it depends not only on the projector/technology, but also on the throw distance and screen size. While reviewing the Sony HS-51, I was able to minimize the moire on the screen- but never eliminate it (I had to zoom the image to greater than 100" diag.) Even some DLPs exhibit moire with Microperf, it's not very common for most screen sizes though (92" to 123").

I have yet to see an AT screen that does equally well for both audio and video, the perforated vinyl screens don't do as well with audio, the woven fabric screens have their own video isssues- you really have to pick where you're willing to compromise. Being a Screen Research dealer, I feel that their woven-technology does very well with audio, and I can use their product for very specific applications: when I need an AT screen with an LCD projector without moire. Vutec's soundscreen appears very similar to SR product. I have no experience with Draper's woven product, or with Dalite's perfed product.

The drawback to woven screens is that there IS a visible weave pattern on the screen, it depends on where you're viewing from (distance and angle)- but it is visible. Perfed screens have a similar issue- once you get to within 1X screen width, you begin to notice the holes (depends on screen size, on a tiny screen like mine it could be the reason).

For a long-and-short-of-it answer, I use Stewart- I feel that at this point in time they still make the best screens overall, and offer the most versatility through their product range.

(BTW, I am NOT a Stewart dealer.)

I hope this helps.

Dan

21 - 40 of 4056 Posts