AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post up your pro settings only. I am personally really happy with Studio Ref mode (after adjustments), but I am about to indulge in the pro settings tomorrow. I'll post my settings once I get em.

This is taken right from the owners manual:

Pro Setting
Normal: Resets all Pro setting adjustments to factory default settings. (Set/No)
Panel brightness: Selects the display panel brightness. (High: Vivid, Mid: Standard, Low: Studio ref)
Contour emphasis: Adjusts the contour emphasis of the image. (On/Off)
Gamma adjust: Gamma correction. Adjusts the intermediate brightness of the image. (Normal/Mid/Full 1/Full 2)
Black extension: Adjusts the dark shades of the image in gradation.
W/B high R: Adjusts the white balance for light red areas.
W/B high B: Adjusts the white balance for light blue areas.
W/B low R: Adjusts the white balance for dark red areas.
W/B low B: Adjusts the white balance for dark blue areas.
AGC: Increases the brightness of dark signal automatically. (On/Off)

Please open-apple C, open-apple V the list

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are the pro settings not available in studio reference mode? Mine are greyed out. It seems I have a lot to learn about this TV, as I am coming from a sharp LCD that I new the different adjustments pretty well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm having mine calibrated next week. Here's what I've been using in the meantime:

Pro Setting

Panel brightness: LOW

Contour emphasis: OFF

Gamma adjust: MID

Black extension: 0

W/B high R: 0

W/B high B: -5

W/B low R: 0

W/B low B: -5

AGC: OFF

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
seems like some of those settings would be really useful to have in the 800u, and probably should have come with it (even though that would kind of defeat the 850's purpose, they probably should merged the two lines).

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlanman /forum/post/14193163

Is Scubasteve the only one with an 850 to have worked with the settings?

Yes -- I had been tweaking around with mine until this morning, when I had the set calibrated. Out of respect for the calibrator I'm not going to post the settings, but I will say that the gamma level (which I had set to Mid) is now set to Normal.

Post-calibration, the set looks wonderful -- correct grayscale, accurate color decoding, very natural-looking picture. Definitely competitive with my old Sony XBR CRT.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I've messed around with my settings a bit. I still prefer studio ref mode. There seems to be too much noise in custom mode. Still have more testing to do though..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvh3ad /forum/post/14193269

Yes -- I had been tweaking around with mine until this morning, when I had the set calibrated. Out of respect for the calibrator I'm not going to post the settings, but I will say that the gamma level (which I had set to Mid) is now set to Normal.

Post-calibration, the set looks wonderful -- correct grayscale, accurate color decoding, very natural-looking picture. Definitely competitive with my old Sony XBR CRT.

So is it calibrated in "custom" mode? Do you see a lot of noise? Did the calibrator actually go into the service menu or did he/she just use pro setting menu?

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve44 /forum/post/14203229

So is it calibrated in "custom" mode? Do you see a lot of noise? Did the calibrator actually go into the service menu or did he/she just use pro setting menu?

Calibration was accomplished in Custom mode without need for the service menu, thanks mainly to the pro settings. (He prefers not to use the service menu if not necessary.)

Re noise: do you mean video noise, picture grain, or something else? Can you describe? I see no obvious noise on my display, but the calibration settings did reveal more clearly that pq is source-dependent. Blu-ray and high-bitrate HD are clear as a bell, while lower-bitrate HD shows some grain.

Also, post-calibration I see that studio ref mode is quite dark -- it looks like the black level may be turned up,and contrast is way up and brightness is down. Perhaps that has the effect of appearing to reduce graininess?

FYI: the calibrator was impressed with the display, which was his first 800/850 panel. Said it was among the best consumer-grade plasmas he'd seen so far, very accurate color decoding, great light output, and very good contrast / black levels.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
As usual Cnet drops the ball, who cares what their reviews say anyways

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvh3ad /forum/post/14206329

Here's a link to cnet's recommended settings: http://reviews.cnet.com/9602-12576_7...sageID=2510921

For what it's worth, I don't think I'm looking at what they're looking at -- the color temperature settings they posted aren't anywhere close to mine.

There is not reason to expect them to. There is considerable unit-to-unit variation with this.

BTW, other than the gamma adjustment, which might be useful, these "Pro settings" offer nothing of much value that isn't already available in the other Pannys. It is just basically the gray scale controls in the user menu instead of in the service menu.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/14206740

There is not reason to expect them to. There is considerable unit-to-unit variation with this.

Good to know...in which case, why does cnet post them?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/14206740

...gray scale controls in the user menu instead of in the service menu.

Really? Can you access those controls in the SM?

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy /forum/post/14209261

Really? Can you access those controls in the SM?

The grayscale adjustments are in service. What I meant was that other than the gamma control, the other controls look to me like they'd be of little value, so I wouldn't use them anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts