AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you, HBO and Playtone for the magnificent Band of Brothers miniseries.

And thank you, men of Easy Company. Major Dick Winters was right; he did serve with a company of heroes.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans

And thank you, men of Easy Company. Major Dick Winters was right; he did serve with a company of heroes.
I must disagree with Dick Winters on one point...he was also a hero.

I would also like to thank HBO and the men of Easy Company. This was by far the best thing I have seen on TV.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott

I must disagree with Dick Winters on one point...he was also a hero.

I would also like to thank HBO and the men of Easy Company. This was by far the best thing I have seen on TV.
Amen! We are all truly lucky for all of the men who have served this country over the years! Band of Brothers was amazing!

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gammans

Well said.

This was the best TV I've seen.

We all owe a great debt to our veterans - both past and present. Thank you Easy Company..........

·
Registered
181 Posts
Outstanding production. Can't wait to own the DVD. Anyone heard about a release date? "61" came out about 5 months after it was televised.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had the pleasure in my career to treat many patients who were WWII vets and, to the last man, none of them have ever thought of themselves as heroes. They were just doing what had to be done for our country. My wife's grandfather got a bronze star, purple heart and silver star with the 82nd Airborne in the Pacific. He was at Hiroshima three days after the bomb and has permanent scars and progressive breathing problems in his lungs from radiation burns. No big deal to him!

I will tell you all these vets are heroes to me! They are of the generation that went through the depression and performed their duty (many with their lives ) for our country with no qualms...it's what they had to do. They are some of the most unassuming people I have ever met. I am proud to have heard so many of their stories...the real stories about WWII.

If it wasn't for them this country might not have been here or might have been something significantly less than what it is. It's sad that in a few, short years there will not be any of these heroes left.

I salute HBO, Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks for bringing us such a wonderful presentation as Band of Brothers! I can't wait for the DVD set to come out!

·
Registered
22,302 Posts
I MUST echo what everyone else has said. Most important, is the story, of what really happened, how "Band of Brothers" portrayed real American heroes, fighting to save our way of life. Turns out my uncle Dike was one of those heroes, though he never ever talked about it, as he was the last man alive from his squad and received a medal for having single-handedly stopped a tank. Now after watching this mini-series I feel that I am starting to understand just what he went through.

ANd as an HDNut - the HD video was as good as I've seen, and the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound has been as good, if not the best, of anything with which to demo my system. Simply amazing. Thank you HBO, Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg for this mini-series

has been truly amazing, and by happenstance very, very timely given the domestic terrorism threats our country now faces.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be sure not to miss the documentary on the making of Band of Brothers that HBO will air next Sunday at 8:30 PM Eastern. This special will apparently include interviews with some of the veterans featured in the miniseries.

Even if (as I suspect) this won't be presented in HDTV, I know I'll be sure to watch.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I agree with everyone here. BB was an outstanding production. I am very fortunate.... I have the honor of caring for and serving Veterans everyday!....

·
Registered
149 Posts
What a great thread for any of us who really enjoyed this wonderful series especially in the light of 9/11...

Before kickoff of yesterdays Giant- Dallas game at the Meadowlands, they had a presentation where they showed about a five minute montage of clips of BOB. They then drove onto the field three members of Easy Company (Wild Bill Guerner was one of the three - crutches with no leg) where each was introduced and given a medal commemorating their service. The entire stadium stood and applauded these heroes during the entire ceremony...

Absolutely unforgettable experience - I still get choked up thinking about it...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I was glad to see this thread this morning, because if it wasn't here, I was going to start it. We owe a debt to these men, without whose valor we would be living in a different world.

And we also owe a debt to those who brought their story to us all. Don't forget Stephen Ambrose who wrote the book the series was based on, and HBO which went out on a limb spending $120 million on this series. A truly great job by all. I don't think TV can get any better than this.

HBO takes a lot of bashing here, but it is just as important to thank them when they get things right.

I wish I had seen the Giant game yesterday. Unfortunately, it was not on here in RI.

I am looking forward to next week's documentary.

SMK

·
Registered
938 Posts
I concur with all the sentiments expressed here. It was powerful television, even in plain ol' 480i NTSC (which is how I had to view it, not having HBO-HD). I wish my father had been alive to see it, for I know he would have liked it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RoyGBiv
I was glad to see this thread this morning, because if it wasn't here, I was going to start it. We owe a debt to these men, without whose valor we would be living in a different world.

And we also owe a debt to those who brought their story to us all.

SMK
My feelings exactly! This was the best series or show I have ever seen on TV. HBO and all involved: A job well done. I am truly going to "miss" this show. When is the DVD going to be released?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Here. here!!

'most engaging TV I can ever remember seeing. Anyone who dismisses TV as a worthless wasteland obviously has never seen this series.

Not only artistically, but as others have said, the technical aspects were first rate as well. Not only the HD picture, but the DD5.1 -- when the artillary shells flew in over my right shoulder and "landed" right in front of me, at practically jumped out of my skin!

Thank you HBO.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Here. here!!

'most engaging TV I can ever remember seeing. Anyone who dismisses TV as a worthless wasteland obviously has never seen this series.

Not only artistically, but as others have said, the technical aspects were first rate as well. Not only the HD picture, but the DD5.1 -- when the artillary shells flew in over my right shoulder and "landed" right in front of me, at practically jumped out of my skin!

Thank you HBO.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
To all who enjoyed the mini-series, do yourself a favor a read the Stephen Ambrose novel. When I first heard about the HBO production I went out and bought the book. It is equally compelling.

Jay

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.