AVS Forum banner
384K views 3K replies 419 participants last post by  Maverick0984 
#1 ·
Well... I assume this thread might be getting a lot of action soon. The 706 comes with the MultiEQ + DynamicEQ + 1080P + a plethora of HDMI ins + the all important blue back-lit volume knob--that is what sold me. I have one being delivered this week.

I will report back with my initial impressions.

#2 ·
For the first post... I would like to point out that the TX-SR706 DOES NOT come with MultiEQ XT--even though that little graphic on the official Onkyo website says it is XT. According to the manual and other research, it comes with plane jane MultiEQ -- which is still better than 2EQ--but still, this is slightly dissapointing.

For a description of the differences... check here .

#4 ·
Wow. I'm surprised there is hardly any posts on this thread yet. If there is anyone else who has this...I just picked one up the other day and I can't get the Audyssey to calibrate. Sound comes out of the speakers but it doesn't "detect" my speakers. I've tried everything - running calibration in dead silence, even tried hooking up the mic from my 605 to see if it was a problem with the 706's supplied mic, still won't detect my speakers. The sound out the speakers is plenty loud enough to be detectable (much louder than running the calibration on the 605). Only possibility seems to be defective receiver, which would suck because it would be a serious ***** to return it at this point. Anyone else running into this issue.

#5 ·
As an afterthought to my above post (and I realize this probably is the wrong thread to be posting this in) but is running the Audyssey setup all that important or can I just calibrate manually? Everything else seems to work fine. Is there any benefits to calibrating with Audyssey as opposed to manually with SPL meter?

#6 ·
Just a quick note... I haven't had a chance to hookup my beast yet (or test the Audessy) -- but I think it is important to report that the TX-SR706 does not have any side ventilation ports. There are vents all across the top and bottom... but nothing on the sides or back--just solid steel. This means I am going to have to get a little creative when placing it in my current entertainment center configuration (which has plenty of side ventilation, but not much vertical headroom).

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekstudman /forum/post/14594236

As an afterthought to my above post (and I realize this probably is the wrong thread to be posting this in) but is running the Audyssey setup all that important or can I just calibrate manually? Everything else seems to work fine. Is there any benefits to calibrating with Audyssey as opposed to manually with SPL meter?

I am no expert... but if there are multiple listening positions in your room, the technology behind the Audyssey calibration that takes this into account is something that can't be duplicated with a manual process. If, however, you are only concerned about a single listening position... then the SPL meter would probably do the trick.

Have you tried searching for an authorized local service center ? I have one just a few miles from my house... which will make things nice if I need any firmware updates. Now that I think about it... I am not sure if local authorized service centers can apply firmware updates or you have to mail it into a regional service center. From what I have read, Onkyo will send you a prepaid shipping label for this kind of free service to send into a "Regional Service Center"... but I would rather not send this thing through the mail.

#9 ·
Ugh... so far, not so good... My toshiba 52HM84 will not display a picture through HDMI unless I enable the HDMI audio out to TV function on the receiver. The problem is... when this option is enabled... the receiver only thinks I have two speakers connected to the system and won't output any true dolby digital formats. It still is outputting sound to my 5.1 speakers... but it will not let me select DD as an output choice (and I know the source is DD).

I am going to do some more research... but, at least for now... I am not impressed. I wanted everything running through HDMI... but I am afraid this is not going to be possible.

I played a little bit with the video up converting but it didn't impress me very much either.

I also haven't had a chance to calibrate anything yet...

Update: Well, well, well -- looks like this guy had the exact same issue (with an 805) -- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1022038 -- seems the HDMI board on my TV is whacked. That sucks.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekstudman /forum/post/14594205

Wow. I'm surprised there is hardly any posts on this thread yet. If there is anyone else who has this...I just picked one up the other day and I can't get the Audyssey to calibrate. Sound comes out of the speakers but it doesn't "detect" my speakers. Anyone else running into this issue.

I had to go ahead and bypass all of the HDMI stuff and hooked up my new 706 regularly with all the component video outs going directly to the TV and the digital outs (2 optical + 1 coax) going into the 706. I ordered a new HDMI module for my Toshiba TV so hopefully that will allow me to take full advantage of the 706.

I have ran the MultiEQ without a problem and checked all of the settings it inserted. They were absolutely 100% spot on. It muted my subs a bit more than I would have liked, but a simple tweak in the speaker eq settings has made them perfect.

I can honestly say this receiver does output a more vibrant and clean sound than my 8 year old HTIB Onkyo. The difference (once you get everything calibrated) is quite dramatic.

I would say my room is approx. 18 feet wide by 45 feet long and my system absolutely punishes the entire listening area with a flood of scintillating 5.1 soundocity. I know soundocity is not a word... but it should be.

I wish I could give a more honest review of the HDMI (up-scaling, switching, etc.) capabilities... but with my TV's out of date HDMI board... I don't think I would provide an accurate review. I will say there is a plethora of video tweaks within the menus that I am sure could accommodate any misgivings of the processing.

I had to mount a couple 12V fans around this thing because the maxmimum head room I could afford the unit was just a little over two inches... without the fans, the top of the unit was almost unbearable to touch.

Here is a little money saving tip for you folks... I just found an old cell phone charger that output 6V -- and hooked two yate loon d1-sl12 120mm fans to it. I put one fan blowing across the receiver from the left side and one fan blowing across the receiver from the back right corner and plugged the thing into my switched cable box AC outlet. Now the top of the 706 is 90% cooler than it was... barely any heat at all to the touch. The fans can not be heard at all unless you are about a foot from them and this total cooling solution cost me less than $15 total.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekstudman /forum/post/14594205

Wow. I'm surprised there is hardly any posts on this thread yet. If there is anyone else who has this...I just picked one up the other day and I can't get the Audyssey to calibrate. Sound comes out of the speakers but it doesn't "detect" my speakers. I've tried everything - running calibration in dead silence, even tried hooking up the mic from my 605 to see if it was a problem with the 706's supplied mic, still won't detect my speakers. The sound out the speakers is plenty loud enough to be detectable (much louder than running the calibration on the 605). Only possibility seems to be defective receiver, which would suck because it would be a serious ***** to return it at this point. Anyone else running into this issue.

I'm having the same problem. I assumed it was a bad mic, but since you seem to have determined that your mic is ok, maybe it isn't. I haven't had enough time to figure it out.

#12 ·
I read a review of the 706 on Amazon.com and it was negative - regarding the calibration mic. I am also curious to see how/if it upconverts HD cable/satellite signal to 1080p. It's an obvious difference with a standard DVD played on a PS3...

Good luck with your systems!

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondokkia /forum/post/14607645

Has anyone tried out the video upconversion of this 706? I saw the upconversion on 606 and wasn't wholly impressed with it. For me, video upconversion is the more important feature now

I ran the TXH Optimizer disc through a Sony dvd player(SD) via component and converted to HDMI and it lost out on the 4 shades contrast test( only 1 shade displayed no matter what/where adjustments were made). Svid passthrough out to monitor and it passed. HDMI in from a Macbook Pro playing the dvd and it passed also. Brightness test was fine though. Seems analog upconversion might not be the best. I wish i had more HDMI players to test for the other reported issues!

#15 ·
i'm about ready to pack up my new Denon 789 and exchange it for the Onkyo 706 as I really want/need the 4th HDMI jack.

I did try a 605 and an 805 back when they came out and heard the hiss and pops from my PS3 :-( So I am assuming and hoping Onkyo has solved this issue?

thanks in advance,

John

#16 ·
Update from my previous post re Audyssey/speaker detect issues with the 706 and to those who are also experiencing the same problem. I e-mailed Onkyo and got the following response:

"Try resetting the receiver that is on the front panel of the unit while the unit is on you are going to hold down VCR/DVR and then press Standby. The unit will say clear and then shut down. The power the unit back up and run through the Audyssey setup to see if you are still having a problem."

So I tried it and, to my surprise, it worked. Must have just been a glitch or something.

#17 ·
I got my 706 yesterday and got it hooked up. I am having a weird problem. I can hear sound from all 5 of my speakers when the TV is on.

Now, when I try the Speaker Level Calibration it plays test noise through each speaker. It plays fine through the front left, center, and front right speakers. When it goes to the rear right test noise, it plays through BOTH rear speakers. When it is supposed to play through the left rear there is silence?? So, I know the left rear speaker functions since sound plays fine when watching TV and when the right rear noise is played.

I then tried the audyssey calibration. Test tones played fine through front right, front left, and center. But when it got to rear left - silence. It then gave an error.

I tried the VCR/DVR Standby button reset which did reset my 706 but problem still there.

Any thoughts, help?

#18 ·
I am really wanting a new receiver and this one looks mighty tasty. I want to upgrade from my Onkyo HT-R500 which I liked very much. I'm hoping some new owners of this could give some detailed reports on any problems this one might have.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalofloyd /forum/post/14646176

I am really wanting a new receiver and this one looks mighty tasty. I want to upgrade from my Onkyo HT-R500 which I liked very much. I'm hoping some new owners of this could give some detailed reports on any problems this one might have.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Funny buffalofloyd... that is the exact same receiver I upgraded from. I am trying to get my HDMI port on my TV working before I give my final review.

I will offer one piece of advice, though--if you got that HT-R500 in a HTIB (home theater in a box) setup like I did... the first thing you need to do is upgrade the speakers. At the very least... get a good center channel and some decent fronts... this takes precedence over the new receiver.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 /forum/post/14647505

thinking about the 706 on my short list

- the auto calibration feature issue, is it just bad mics or bad firmware?

- if you don't use the audasy sound feature the hum is not an issue correct?

This reciver has the hum that the 606 users reported when using the PS3? Is the hum present only with the PS3 or any dvd player or blu-ray?

#23 ·
This is my first "real" receiver. I upgraded from an old Sony prologic. What is the hum that you are referring to? When would I hear it?

I emailed Onkyo tech support about the Audyssey malfunction and how sound comes out of the left rear EXCEPT when using speaker calibration or Audyssey (see earlier post). Here's the response:

I am sorry to hear about the problem with your speakers, however, it appears that you may have them set up incorrect. If you are using five (5) speakers, then none of them should be plugged in the Surround Back Left or Right channels of the unit. It should be ONLY- Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left and Surround right.

Well, of course they are connected properly - I've only checked that about 10 times. We'll see what their next suggestion is.

Does Onkyo generally have good tech support?

#24 ·
THIS ISN'T GOOD. So I decided to call the Onkyo tech support #. I explained the no sound problem I mentioned in my earlier post, he suggested I reset the receiver. I told him I had already done so and it didn't work. He said the unit would need to be exchanged and told me to return it where I bought it.

I tried to ask him if there was some defect here and he said no, but he was awfully quick to tell me to return it. It was as if he had heard this story before though he wouldn't confirm it.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp0xia /forum/post/14651835

This is my first "real" receiver. I upgraded from an old Sony prologic. What is the hum that you are referring to? When would I hear it?

I guess the hum noise comes through the HDMI input or something. There is a huge discussion about it on the 606 thread. I think there might be some major problems with the x06 receivers, at least this seems to be the case. This 706 seemed to be the perfect receiver for me and it's a shame there are so many issues that people are having. I guess maybe I wont be buying Onkyo products anymore, which is a shame because I really like my current Onkyo receiver, but it's outdated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.